GeForce LAN 6 Oct 14-16th

Limp Gawd
Link

This sounds wicked cool since it's on an aircraft carrier! Because of that, I assume food and bed will be included. I am eager for more details. I've never traveled by airplane with my system before. I wonder if they provide monitors to alleviate potential space problems. That would be one thing to make my transportation easier. I have enough sky miles to fly to this event for free, so I might actually do this. I just wonder what it costs.

Have any of you ever traveled via airplane with your system? I would be flying from Minneapolis.

I was gonna recommend taking a train, but since you've got the sky miles, that doesn't make much sense.

Wish I lived closer, that event looks very fun.

I've heard bad shit happening to people's boxes when they check them in. More than likely t he TSA isn't going to care about your water cooling setup or how to properly open the case and look inside, so if I were you, I'd take the side panel off and try to carry your cards on with you.

Either that, or ship it to trusted person nearby.

I'm going to go for a day since I'm going to Blizzcon a few days later. Should be awesome.

eek_big-1.gif

I cant wait to register. Only a thirty minute drive for me! I should probably start catching up on sleep now...

I only have to cross a bridge or tunnel to get there. This is the only time i'm glad I live in oakland.

yeah i went to the one they hosted shit probably 3-4 years ago when i lived in the bay area.. though i'd probably skip this one if i still lived in california just because its going to turn into a sweat locker on that ship with all those computers and people..

I live 20 minutes away + a bridge, ITS ON!

I've been to all but one nVidia Geforce LAN and they are awesome to go to. With the second one iirc, they did give every attendee a retail box copy of Battlefield 2; with Geforce 4 they gave out Crysis. I wonder if they will give out Battlefield 3 :D

Since they don't have much information on their page yet, could you guys tell me how the ones in the past were? Like, do people sleep on the ship, or do I need to book multiple hotel nights? What have the past entry fees been?

Since they don't have much information on their page yet, could you guys tell me how the ones in the past were? Like, do people sleep on the ship, or do I need to book multiple hotel nights? What have the past entry fees been?

GeForce Lan 1 was the launch of the 6000 series, it was not overnight. Pretty fun, there was a UT2K4 1v1 tourney and a BF:V 5v5 tourney. Food was great. Good times was had by all.

GeForce Lan 2 was the launch of the 7000 series and BF2 (copies given to all attendees). Again it was not overnight but lots of prizes had by lots of people and generally was bigger and just as good if not better than GFL1. Food was good, but not as fancy as GFL1. Not everybody liked how the guy was emceeing the closing raffle.

GeForce Lan 3 was over night and you could either sleep at your seat or find a place in Downtown San Jose. Was held in a big ass tent in front of a building Nvidia was considering renting. Again lots of prizes, lots of fun. Copies of BF2142 were given to all. Some people got butt-hurt when during the charity raffel, people who donated a lot for charity won a lot in that raffel.

GeForce Lan 4 was overnight had a lot of prizes but staff hired to operate the lan and the tourney were not as organized as the previous group. Again you could sleep at your desk or at a provided sleep zone (Nvidia provided air mattresses) and use the showers. Tourney's ran late and I felt that they conflicted too much with other contests ran by vendors/sponsors. Was bigger but not better. Case Mod contest was fucking bullshit and the audience let the them know it.

GeForce Lan 5 afaik never officially happened. There were GeForce Lans at Nvision 08 and subsequent PAX conventions but never offically a 5th numbered GeForce Lan to my knowledge.

GeForce Lan 6 is being handled again by the group that ran 1, 2 & 3. so those of us familiar with them (PDXLAN) are gratifyingly relieved that they are back. As for sleeping, from what I gathered from various forum and facebook posts (so take this with a grain of salt), the plan so far is to let the attendees be able to sleep in the baracks in the deck below the hangar (where the BYOC will be).

And for those of you not familiar with how to board a Navy ship from a pier.

vector-uss-hornet-boarding.jpg

photo by Vector - Head of PDXLAN

Thanks much for that info!
I'm still contemplating whether I want to bring my rig on a flight or not. The biggest dilemma, though, is the price. It would be easier to decide if I knew the price and what it included. I wish those details were already available so I could book the flight (if I decide to go of course). The longer the wait is for those details, the higher flight prices go. And it is already a close call as it is for me to get a free flight with my frequent flyer miles. The situation will soon turn into majorly discounted instead of free.

cleardot.gif
from
cleardot.gif
[email protected] to
cleardot.gif
date
cleardot.gif
Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:37 PMsubject
cleardot.gif
RE: GeForce LAN 6
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
Important mainly because of the people in the conversation.
hide details 4:37 PM (1 hour ago)

Registration will open soon and NVIDIA is working on publishing an FAQ with all of these answers shortly.

- GeForce LAN 6 Registration Support

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: GeForce LAN 6
Date: Fri, August 26, 2011 8:47 am
To: [email protected]

I am very interested in this event and want to make sure I know when more information is available. I already am subscribed to the Twitter feed, but is there a way I could be informed via email? That way, I surely wouldn't miss it. I am looking to see how much the entry fee will cost and what that will include. I assume it will include food and bed since it's on an aircraft carrier. But I wonder if it also allows use of a monitor so people don't have to bring their own and it would be guaranteed they all fit on the tables.

Wow. Here I was trying to decide (while at work, so not much progress) if I wanted to fly with my system or not. Crap. I should have decided long ago so I could jump the gun.

Damn, I had friends who were on the fence about whether or not to go, looks like their decision was made for them.

Sept. 22nd @ 9:00am more seats will be up for grabs.

14 more L33T seats for $110
49 more BYOC seats for $80

GeForce Lan Main Page said:
At 9:00 AM Pacific Time on September 22, we will re-open registration for an additional 14 L33T and 49 BYOC seats. These seats will be available first come, first served.

We know there were a lot of questions about why there aren't 800 BYOC seats at GeForce LAN.

800 BYOC seats was our initial estimate after seeing the floorplan of the venue.

However, after a thorough site inspection and discovering that:

There are random hatches, pipes, etc., that impede us from placing a table here and there
AND
Some of the museum pieces (i.e., the Apollo 11 module) are not able to move with the other aircraft from the hangar deck up to the flight deck
AND
3) Accounting for more stringent fire safety aisles
...We had to revise our estimates. This is a true aircraft carrier and while it has been converted to a museum, much of the ship is the same as it was when it was operational decades ago.

We lost over 150 seats due to this, and some of the remaining seats have been reserved for the sponsors who are supporting this event (many of whom want a BYOC seat themselves as they want to represent and connect with attendees!).

We spent days staring at and stressing over the floorplan trying to squeeze as much as we can in, but in the end, we got what we got. Like vector says, if this was a Nimitz class carrier...we probably could have squeezed in a weeeeee bit more.

For those who don't have BYOC seats, don't forget there are still general admission passes. For $20, you get access all weekend during general admission hours. With this ticket you still get to experience the tournament/free play areas, compete in whatever contests and tournaments are happening during the general admission hours, visit the exhibitors (who will have some pretty cool playable systems too), see how-to presentations on stage, and even visit the museum itself [FREE!] (original wards, compartments down below and above the hangar deck) throughout the ship, which is an amazing trip by itself. Up on the flight deck there is an awesome seating area where you can take in the view and see more original aircraft. You can even get your picture taken with a WWII pin-up girl alongside an aircraft in 3D.

(In fact, those of you who have BYOC seats should probably tell your friends and significant others so they can come visit during those hours. There's so much great stuff for them to do.)

We appreciate your patience during the past few days, and wanted to give you as much of a heads-up about the last few tickets going on sale as we possibly could. We look forward to seeing everyone in person at the event, by it a BYOC, L33T or General Admission ticket!

-NVIDIA

http://www.geforce.com/landingpage/geforce-lan

Last edited:
And sold out within 5 minutes. A buddy of mine plus myself barely got in. If you did get a registration page to fill out, check your "My account" - I got a surprised after being frustrated.

Next Geforce LAN needs to be at a bigger place, a lot of my friends couldn't get in :(

Edit: I heard there were 63 slots open and the server did briefly kill itself. If they didn't do the special L33t BYOC, they could fit more people easily.

Well, I sadly missed out on this one. I never got off the fence about traveling with my whole system in an airplane though. I need to figure out something else fun to do with my free flight now.

for those of you who missed out on tickets, some of the sponsors are giving away the BYOC tickets.

I don't want to post up the link to the other one that I know about because I am involved in it and I don't want to be advertising on here. But all of the sponsors who are involved received seats. If you check them all out you will find them. More importantly because they all have seats I bet a lot of them end up giving away a few.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showannouncement=52&f=255

Nvidia said:
Registration for GeForce LAN 6 will open once again Thursday at 9:00 PM Pacific time to release the last batch of GeForce LAN BYOC and L33T seats available.

Maximum number of tickets for purcahse will be 2 at a time
Each purchaser will have 6 minutes to complete their purchase
If you're using PayPal, have your account ready with funds, or use a valid credit card (eChecks or bank debit cards without a Visa/MC logo will not be accepted)
There will be absolutely no more BYOC tickets sold after these are gone - mark your calendars, set your alarms, and be ready to buy!

http://www.geforcelan.com/landingpage/geforce-lan/registration

SON OF A................
Wish I knew about this, although I don't think I would've brought my PC.

Just wanted to see the tournament and get on that carrier.

I had a pretty great time. Met up with old friends, made some new ones. Walked away with 3 games, 2 mouse pads and 2 network cables.

Back