Geforce GTX 780ti Impressions and thoughts

Agent Orange 615

[H]ard|Gawd
There's enough benchmarks out there on this card, but I wanted to give my take and aska question. I have a slightly dated but still strong rig in my sig. I swapped out a GTX 570 with 1GB of VRAM so the difference was massive. I am still sitting here wondering if I should of went with a 780 basic, but the thing that tossed me into the TI's direction was just knowing down the line I can put it in SLI with a newer system and hopefully be set.

Anyway, I am running DAYZ Alpha totally maxed on 1440x2560 along with BF4 on Ultra and seeing no framerate drop. I tried running shadowplay a few times but had some errors, so that may be the games I'm using them with. I will say the Arma engine is an absolute standout. It's in 1440 right now, with v sync, and getting absolutely no stutter. I have 30 days to hold on and possible downgrade to a 780, but with everything getting crushed that would seem like not a huge deal if I'm not strapped for cash. The only bonus I can see if using that extra money to get another korean PLS, instead of using a regular 1080 as my second monitor.

A second level of my review is my Adobe apps I use. After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, and Lightroom are all running much faster in many phases of their operations. However I can see at times like loading big files or collections into Lightroom the cpu takes a hit. This is maybe an indicator that eventually a Hexagonal Core will help dramatically with design work.

Also Avid seems to think this card is a quaddro, and is running faster than on-site machines I use in my professional career. If anyone is familiar with Avid is passes that dreaded "checking GPU" phase with no issues on startup.

So far so good, and thanks for the input, but still debating if I should trade down.

If you are not strapped for cash then keep the 780ti. But keep in mind that 780Ti does cost 30% more than the 780, but does not give 30% more performance. It is 10-15% faster overall.

I'm rocking SLI 780Ti cards and use my machine purely for gaming at 1440p.

At first I was thinking like you are, questions such as "Have I overcooked it?" and thoughts of "Man, this is a lot of money to waste on GPUs" etc. were floating around in my head.

I decided to keep the system as is because of the following:

a) I enjoy gaming with all the graphical bells and whistles.
b) At 1440p, if you want to run AA the extra horsepower helps
c) My machine should remain relevant and able to run the latest titles for some time to come (18-24months I hope).
d) I use my machine pretty much everyday when I am at home, I feel like I extract a lot of value from it.
e) e-peen :D j/k

If saving the extra few bucks isn't going to break the bank/make the difference between you making the rent or not then keep it and bask in the knowledge that you have the fastest single GPU on the market (compared to even the non-reference 290X cards).

In short, if you can...enjoy it. Life is short.

Maybe my expectations are too high but I am underwhelmed with mine. Sure it plays everything I throw at it but there are so few games to test it -- not its fault, of course.

780ti is a stronk card. I like mine, although its not a big of a shock for single card performance as it was when I bought a Titan when it first came out. Say what you wanted about the price, that thing delivered.

This is maybe an indicator that eventually a Hexagonal Core will help dramatically with design work.

My sides.

Maybe my expectations are too high but I am underwhelmed with mine. Sure it plays everything I throw at it but there are so few games to test it -- not its fault, of course.

But you can be comfortable in the knowledge that it will be OK for a while to come.

Back