GeForce GTX 760 vs. AMD Radeon 7950

HardOCP News

[H] News
Legit Reviews has pit a GeForce GTX 760 against a Radeon 7950 in a GPU battle royal today. Which one walks away the winner? Here's a hint....your wallet.

At the end of the day, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB and the AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB video cards perform very closely together. For right around $250 either of these cards are more than capable of powering a single monitor gaming system without a problem. We were also impressed by what they could do on a 5760x1080 triple monitor setup thanks to NVIDIA Surround and AMD Eyefinity.

Good article, Price for performance these days are great. REALLY good time to upgrade right now, when Nvidia and AMD are having price wars it's a beautiful thing :)

I really want to see OC vs OC. I owned a 7950 and got a 41% OC on the core (1200mhz) and 36% on the memory (1700). That is a beast OC that is regularly achieved on 7950's (and similar scaling with 7970's).

I just ordered a GTX 760 for my cousin's build so I'll mess with it and see. Maybe compare to my Heaven 4.0 scores

Yeah I can hit 1150 on my vortex II 7870, but I usually keep it stock right now at least because of the hot weather. Funny thing is that it came Factory OC @1200 mhz but I don't think they tested it because it wasnt stable, then again it has these weird fans that I can twist and pop out a ways to improved airflow, I'm just scared of breaking something. An OC like you have on your 7950 probably pushes you past stock 7970 or round about? Very nice BTW

I really want to see OC vs OC. I owned a 7950 and got a 41% OC on the core (1200mhz) and 36% on the memory (1700). That is a beast OC that is regularly achieved on 7950's (and similar scaling with 7970's).

I just ordered a GTX 760 for my cousin's build so I'll mess with it and see. Maybe compare to my Heaven 4.0 scores

Got 2 760's that reach 1300/1760 (boost), getting 3550+ in Unigine Valley, 9800 in Fire Strike, if that's any help. Relatively good SLI scaling on that, single card is 1900+ on the former.

Last edited:

On air? None of my cards could hit that comfortably. I would say that 1100mhz is closer to the norm. Even at that they run hot and loud.

I liked the review a lot, but for 10 dollars more, EVGA has a GTX 760 with 4GB of video ram, I will be searching for a review of it's performance......

On air? None of my cards could hit that comfortably. I would say that 1100mhz is closer to the norm. Even at that they run hot and loud.

yeah, it was on air. I eventually put an H60 on it to reduce the noise, but it was within operational temps on its stock cooler.

my 7970 can do 1250/1750 ( from 925/1375) @ 1.3v. This is a cheap 7970 so it isn't exactly abnormal. Also I am on air and I never get above 72C.

my 7970 can do 1250/1750 ( from 925/1375) @ 1.3v. This is a cheap 7970 so it isn't exactly abnormal. Also I am on air and I never get above 72C.

Yeah, I'm sure that doesn't sound like a jet engine.

Also, 1.3v and not over 72C. Ok, is it the dead of winter where you are?

They still missed the main point of why people buy the HD7950 as it scales really well when it's over clocked just alittle. the card they used looks like the Sapphire 4L that has the ref HD7970 PCB and bios switch which means waterblocks made for the HD7970 will fit it and it has the good ram that runs at 1500mhz on stock voltage.

The base clocks was made to battle 460/470/480GTX and then 560/570GTX (boost) clocks where made to battle the 660ti and 670GTX.. AMD could at anytime release a bios upgrade for higher clock speeds if they really wish to battle the 760GTX with this card as it really is that upgrade able in clock speeds.

This is the same card they reviewed as look at the Bios ID number and what the HD7950Ghz (will) would look like.

6cv.png
[/IMG]

Yeah, I'm sure that doesn't sound like a jet engine.

Also, 1.3v and not over 72C. Ok, is it the dead of winter where you are?

I ran mine at 1.25v or less depending on clocks and yes it did sound like an industrial vacuum cleaner, lol. But that's cuz it was a reference fan in an open case. Stuck a spare H60 on it and it dropped 40dBa in volume to dead silence. I'm sure starting with a better cooler will really alleviate this issue lol

They still missed the main point of why people buy the HD7950 as it scales really well when it's over clocked just alittle. the card they used looks like the Sapphire 4L that has the ref HD7970 PCB and bios switch which means waterblocks made for the HD7970 will fit it and it has the good ram that runs at 1500mhz on stock voltage.

I had this card. It was and is still awesome for anyone who wants to watercool or mine.

Price wise the 760 is actually closer to the Tahiti LE 7870 than to most 7950 models, not counting MIRs. As people said the 7950 is still priced higher than the 760 because it overclocks more.
Still 760 has greater value, even against a similar priced 7870 LE, because SLI currently works, while CF does not.
AMD is fighting and uphill battle on both CPU and VGA fronts. We need competition. They need to fix CF frame times problems ASAP. Let us pray that next generation we see more parts like Intel's GT3 and NVIDIA's GK110. Finally engineers are winning the battle against bean counters: we will hopefully see more gerat pieces of silicon running at optimal voltages and that count on increasing number of processing units instead of higher voltages or clock rates.

Price wise the 760 is actually closer to the Tahiti LE 7870 than to most 7950 models, not counting MIRs. As people said the 7950 is still priced higher than the 760 because it overclocks more.

It has to just to keep up with the GTX760. On top of that a 7950 at even 1.1v is going to run hotter and louder than a GTX760.

I would have a hard time buying a 7950 over a GTX760 at this point.

so I cant decide on what GPU to go with for my build. This is a BIG if The Sapphire 7970 is 330.00 but I cant order any GPU till july 4th or so, So if the 7970 is still at 330.00 I WILL order it but if it rockets back up to close to 400 its a no go so that will leave me with 2 options

I game at 1080p and will more then likely not move away from my current asus 27 inch.

I am debating either a 7950 3GB vs a 760 2GB. I am thinking the 7950 because the extra Vram for next gen as I am not sure 2GB is enough

IDK, I use SGSSAA in a lot of games at 2560x1440 and so far haven't run into any issues due to only having 2GB of vram. Aside from a heavilly modded Skyrim install I can't think of anything that'll really eat up that much vram at any normal resolution.

Something else to think about is what one can buy for $560-660 when AMD releases the frame pacing driver which is already out i think for windows 8 in beta , one could have near or over HD7990 performance in that price range with 2x HD7950's or 2x HD7970's and makes all the new over priced Nvidia cards kind of a bad buy if the driver works which buys time for HD89XX if they really need it.

How do you figure? Sli scales very well and has a working frame pacing tech in their drivers now.

I'm skeptical that AMD will hit the ball out of the park on their first try. Nvidia has been working on microstutter for years now. Even fermi is/was better than Tahiti is now when it comes to microstutter.

You must remember the price that Nvidia has layed out for a single 780GTX which the cheapest on newegg is $649 , now you could take that same money and buy two HD7970's and out run even a Titan or a HD7990 which is something a single $649 dollar 780GTX just can not do.

The war is coming down to who can offer the most preformance pre dollar spent and the battlefield is not $1000 cards as $650 buxs is alot of money for 95% of us.

so I cant decide on what GPU to go with for my build. This is a BIG if The Sapphire 7970 is 330.00 but I cant order any GPU till july 4th or so, So if the 7970 is still at 330.00 I WILL order it but if it rockets back up to close to 400 its a no go so that will leave me with 2 options

I game at 1080p and will more then likely not move away from my current asus 27 inch.

I am debating either a 7950 3GB vs a 760 2GB. I am thinking the 7950 because the extra Vram for next gen as I am not sure 2GB is enough
A gtx 760 is plenty for 1080p. The 760 and 7950 are about neck and neck at stock, but if you plan on overclocking, the 7950 is the better choice imo.
Something else to think about is what one can buy for $560-660 when AMD releases the frame pacing driver which is already out i think for windows 8 in beta , one could have near or over HD7990 performance in that price range with 2x HD7950's or 2x HD7970's and makes all the new over priced Nvidia cards kind of a bad buy if the driver works which buys time for HD89XX if they really need it.
That's the thing with amd, you always have to wait for something. And the "frame pacing driver" fixes will vary game by game.

My experiences with crossfire was mostly a rollercoaster ride. In some games they ran wonderfullly, while in the majority of others, it was a stuttery mess.

And on those "new" nvidia cards being over-priced, that is your opinion. The 770 and 760, are priced quite fairly. While the 780 and titan, are for the ones who want the fastest cards their money can buy.

We can't always blame AMD drivers for poor CX as Intel can be blamed as well with the drop off from X58 x16 by x16 Sli and CX to P55 that had x8 by x8 and a major reason i ketp my x58 as i didn't see the reason to down grade my platform.

How do you figure? Sli scales very well and has a working frame pacing tech in their drivers now.

I'm skeptical that AMD will hit the ball out of the park on their first try. Nvidia has been working on microstutter for years now. Even fermi is/was better than Tahiti is now when it comes to microstutter.

I think that Nvidia implements frame pacing management at the hardware level.

So the GTX 760 is slightly better than the 660 Ti but right under the 670 (driver updates may change this.) All these cards are priced about $30 apart from each other with the 760 being the cheapest. If you're not worried about benchmarks, the GTX 760 has such great value right now.

770 beats 7950and the 7970 but 7950 beats 760 according to most benchmarks out there.

But considering how close they are 760 for $249 is nobrainer vs $299 for 7950. Jmo though. Depends how much you value performance.

I think that Nvidia implements frame pacing management at the hardware level.

They do for the GTX690. I've never seen confirmation that they do on other models.

I have also noticed that the 690 seems to have consistently better frametimes than a pair of 680s so I've always just assumed that the 680s don't have any hardware frame metering. I could be wrong.

Back