GeForce GTX 690 - Perfection Inside and Out @ [H]

Sold, when can I have one :D

Been a few years since I've had the top GPU, last time was an 8800 Ultra so it'll be a nice treat.

Hope it doesn't have the supply problems we're getting with the 680 here in Australia. I can only get a Palit one at the moment. Everything else is unknown ETA. We get everyone else's castoffs basically.

The case is solid metal? Holy shit that looks badass.

The last SLI card I had was a 9800GX2 which was a bit dissapointing, the frae rate stutter stuff. But i think the newer drivers and features might have finally solved some of those issues after reading the SLI review article.

Seriously tho, thats one sexy fucker.

It is definitely one of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen.
I wonder if they'll do something similar with the GK110.

690 != perfection
perfection would be double-precision FP performance on par with single

Your gonna need GF110 for that. Whether GF110 will be Tesla only, or if it will be released as a GeForce two is another question for debate.

480 is still the best compute card.

Not sure on my feelings about this card. Only 2GB vs 3GB on the AMD camp.

Low computing performance.

Those are the two only negative points I have on this card.

$999 maybe the most expensive but there still just one major problem with the GTX 690 there be very few made as you all ready know nobody has any 680 and they been out of stock, back order for some time now.

$999 maybe the most expensive but there still just one major problem with the GTX 690 there be very few made as you all ready know nobody has any 680 and they been out of stock, back order for some time now.

Not quite true. The 680s come in and out of stock at regular intervals throughout each day at newegg and other retailers. We just do not know if it is due to too few made or too great a demand. More than likely, it is some combination of both.

Sold, when can I have one :D

Been a few years since I've had the top GPU, last time was an 8800 Ultra so it'll be a nice treat.

Hope it doesn't have the supply problems we're getting with the 680 here in Australia. I can only get a Palit one at the moment. Everything else is unknown ETA. We get everyone else's castoffs basically.

Where do you live? Out in the sticks?

3 car payments. It may be the current pinnacle of gaming tech, but what does it matter if all the games are console ports?

It uses a completely different PCB with a 10 phase VRM solution instead of a 4 phase VRM solution, it uses a cooler that NVIDIA states costs 3x as much as any other cooler they've produced for a production card, it has 4GB versus 2GB of RAM plus two GK104 chips instead of one (straight doubling of costs, and I imagine the GK104s on the 690 are binned higher), it has a PCI-E bridge chip for the onboard SLI solution that the GTX 680 lacks, etc. That's not even counting in costs for R&D on the product, and then overhead for manufacturers and profit.

There is no way this thing would have only cost $200-250 more. Come on people, think this through a little more please.

Can someone please clarify if it's 2 or 4 GB per GPU effective RAM?

You guys are missing the point: 1300 on the core as a potential OC with this cooler?? Awesome

To some people it will be, being a halo product. (Insert mental image of the CGI Adrianne Curry slapping Ruby in the face and snatching a halo from her head while shouting "Gimme that!")

Since it's a single-card SLI solution, it's 2GB per GPU.

It's been clarified multiple times. 2 GB effective per GPU, just like regular SLI. This is SLI on one circuit board. Same as with every dual-GPU card nVidia has ever made.

Except, unlike the others, this one isn't gimped feature-wise at all. I'm sure the very slight downclock (which they openly encourage you to OC immediately) is only to keep it within the 300W PCI-E spec so it can be certified.

The 10-phase power, the "shaved" surface mounted components, the cooler--this is a labor of love.

I've never ever considered buying a dual gpu card before, I simply never thought they were worth it.
But THIS CARD! This card I want! :eek:

All I have to say is what a fucking waste of engineering resources...

And to think some of you are getting a boner by the way it looks even though you most of you will never see it running inside your case...who goves a shit what it looks like...wow.

WAY overpriced......

AMD is going to come out with the 7990 and completely undercut Nvidia.

Why do companies have to be so greedy? Just because they get demand Nvidia are charging way over the odds, that is not a good company that cares about its customer... but a completely selfish company who rips off their customers.

This card doesnt cost much to manufacture, and the development process simply was not that much more than the 690. This is way overpriced and I hope people boycott it, but as always peopel have more money then sense.

Kyle, no disrespect but I don't see where they were "thinking outside the box". This isn't the first dual GPU solution to hit the market, it isn't even the 5th or 6th.

Did you read the article? All that stuff about injection molding of metal components and magnesium alloys and low-profile PCB mounting for optimized airflow? Dual vapor chamber heatsinks with nickel-plated cooling fins? Any of that sound ho-hum to you?

All I have to say is what a fucking waste of engineering resources...

And to think some of you are getting a boner by the way it looks even though you most of you will never see it running inside your case...who goves a shit what it looks like...wow.

WAY overpriced......

AMD is going to come out with the 7990 and completely undercut Nvidia.

Why do companies have to be so greedy? Just because they get demand Nvidia are charging way over the odds, that is not a good company that cares about its customer... but a completely selfish company who rips off their customers.

This card doesnt cost much to manufacture, and the development process simply was not that much more than the 690. This is way overpriced and I hope people boycott it, but as always peopel have more money then sense.

If you two will bend over, I'm sure Kyle has a couple of extra sticks lying around. I used to live in DFW, and there are mesquite trees in every parking lot. Nice knobby branches, and that special mesquite flavor for barbecuing...

Edit: Whoops, sorry Kyle, you beat me to it...

Beautifully engineered card. Looking forward to reading more on it.

I'd like to propose 2 new rules to posting in the videocard forums:

1. You must remember your financial situation is not everyone else's. $1000 might be to someone else what $200 is to you. If debating value of a card, debate its performance/features/price and avoid general statements such as "$1000 is insane for a card"

2. You do not know Nvidia's, AMD's or anyone else's costs, profit margins, R&D time, etc. Unless you work for the specific company you cannot assume how much they are "ripping you off". You are simply making an asshole out of yourself by guessing. Price is determined by competition and supply/demand, not your idea of what is "fair".

I'd imagine this card is marketed at a very niche segment that were thinking of going SLI or early adopters that don't want to consider upgrading their CPU and would rather avoid getting a second card, I suppose.

SFF + Eye candy + resolution is what's doing it for me

I'm hoping to pick up the 690 soon for my upcoming SFF build. I'm annoyed with having a full size tower as I move around a lot, so the 690 is a great way to get a super powerful card in a tiny case.
Even with a bigger case, a single card form factor is almost always easier to deal with and makes SLI a lot more accessible imo -- don't have to deal with finding a mobo with 2 16x slots or whatever.

Coupled with 2560x1600 resolution and a love for 4xAA in BF3, most setups don't cut it anymore. With my 6950cfx I only get 35fps with AA, so a 690 is an easy way to get to 60fps+ ;). Let me tell you, that game shows its true beauty with some MSAA haha.

Semi-seriously: now that the card's been announced, how long before we start getting data on how its performance compares to its looks? After all,

information.jpg

I think we are taking delivery of our card today, not 100% sure on that. Waiting.

Kyle is right. They aimed to make the best performing GPU. They did it. They aimed to break out of the ugly stock GPU box, they did it. Plenty of us DO care what the internals of our system looks like. Take a look at the modding forums here on HardOCP . . .many of us build reverse atx cases that can show off the killer heat-sink solution NVIDIA came up with. I also imagine ( and would do myself if I had the card) modders using the pimp stock heatsink enclosure to cover a water-cooled solution.

The only thing I am sad about is that I ordered four 680s last week , , , ,doh.

Can two of these run BF3 and Crysis 2 maxed out with AA at 7680x1440?

probably not, at that res you'd most likely hit a frame buffer wall as the gpu vram is not shared

You know, if you had one of these in your PC, and no other slots taken up below the card, a great mod would be to put an angled mirror below so you could see the beautiful face of that card even with it installed. Put a couple of LED spotlights on it for effect to light up the heatsinks.

I'm serious.

i'm really intruiged by the cooler and the most exciting thing for me is to see how it overclocks since at stock it will be clocked at lower than stock 680s, perhaps other nvidia partners like evga and the like will, with cherry picked gpus, be able to offer higher clocked 690s

If you ask me. This is a card that would need pci 3.0....thats alotta info being processed on the beast!

Back