GeForce GTX 460 - 760 - 960 - 1060 Linux Performance

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are an alternative OS user with plans to upgrade from an older GeForce GTX to a new GTX 1060, you should really read this review at Phoronix this afternoon.

To complement yesterday's launch-day GeForce GTX 1060 Linux review, here are some more benchmark results with the various NVIDIA x60 graphics cards I have available for testing going back to the GeForce GTX 460 Fermi. If you are curious about the raw OpenGL/OpenCL/CUDA performance and performance-per-Watt for these mid-range x60 graphics cards from Fermi, Kepler, Maxwell, and Pascal, here are these benchmarks from Ubuntu 16.04 Linux.

NOW that a good reason to get GTX 1060 is it Linux Performance look to be way faster over all vs RX 480

NOW that a good reason to get GTX 1060 is it Linux Performance look to be way faster over all vs RX 480

Hah, no surprise there. NV drivers are pretty good on Linux, comparatively, for like pretty much ever. Though using 4K and Ultra and using 460 / 760 / 960 was not that informative for comparison to 1060. 760 is not 23x faster than 460 (very first perf chart) ... it's approx double, if reasonable settings are chosen for the older 768MB card.

Last edited:

When it comes to linux AMD just doesn't have the track record of solid driver support. Their own closed source drivers have always been a pain. They have been able to up their game recently and the 480 has day one support, at least for ubuntu and steamos. The work of making drivers not painful to install for most distros is done by users... so if your building a new Linux machine I think NV is still the way to go until AMD proves, and still improves in general their support of linux. (unless your really planning to run a LTS release of Ubuntu Yuk lol) Hopefully they mean what they have been saying and follow through. Once they do their drivers will get smoother installs and integration into other Distros.

When it comes to linux AMD just doesn't have the track record of solid driver support. Their own closed source drivers have always been a pain. They have been able to up their game recently and the 480 has day one support, at least for ubuntu and steamos. The work of making drivers not painful to install for most distros is done by users... so if your building a new Linux machine I think NV is still the way to go until AMD proves, and still improves in general their support of linux. (unless your really planning to run a LTS release of Ubuntu Yuk lol) Hopefully they mean what they have been saying and follow through. Once they do their drivers will get smoother installs and integration into other Distros.
Actually they do have solid driver support just not solid performance that all which doesn't make them bad nor good
How are AMD closed source drivers a pain when it no diff then NVidia closed source driver unless you ref to the new AMDGPU Pro Driver or was it Catalyst driver ?.

Actually they do have solid driver support just not solid performance that all which doesn't make them bad nor good
How are AMD closed source drivers a pain when it no diff then NVidia closed source driver unless you ref to the new AMDGPU Pro Driver or was it Catalyst driver ?.

IME any of the smaller distros have required an involved process to install. (and even with ubuntu the newest ati drivers require a bunch of editing) Although I will grant that there are distros where installing the closed source Nvidia driver can also be a pain if the disro defaults with some of the open source drivers. They don't play well and you have to often make sure and get rid of the open source completely and reboot before you can take care of the closed source setup.I don't have any issues going in and changing config files for X ect and possibly having to reboot to a command line. However I have always just assumed that stuff like that discourages the average windows switcher.

I have been installing Manjaro for friends the last year or so when they ask, and with Manjaro on Nvidia hardware switching to the Nvidia driver is as easy as clicking the version you want and the install button. The developers obviously use Nvidia hardware, making that version of linux the easiest I have ever dealt with in regards to video drivers and setup. Its faster then going to NVs website and downloading and installing under windows... its one click and 2-3 min and a restart and you don't get all the NV bloatware that comes with the windows driver. They also have a fast integration time helps that its a rolling release I guess, when NV posts a new linux driver most of the time the Manjaro guys have it on the one click install with in a few days at the most.

Back