GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Evaluation Thoughts

Brent_Justice

I don't normally poll these kinds of threads, normally because we cannot if under embargo, but this situation is unique, the 1080 Ti has been announced, the specs and pricing released. I'm interested in feedback this time and your thoughts.

With the upcoming 1080 Ti launch, now that specs are public and we can talk about it, how do you guys feel about a 4K focused video card evaluation this round? I'm feelin that, how about ya'll? Would you miss 1440p for this level of video card?

In addition, knowing the price ($699), and the fact we will include a 1080 for sure in the evaluation, what other GPUs do you feel warrant comparison to the 1080 Ti (NV and AMD) ?

I appreciate your feedback and thoughts :)

Might as well give it a gold reward without even reviewing it. Seriously you are getting a titan x for price of what 1080 launched at. I normally called nvidia out and said they are raping people. But that is one hell of a card for the price. May be they know more about Vega than we do, but regardless big WIN for them and 1080 dropped to $499? pretty damn good already.

I feel 1440p is absolutely essential to any review as 4k still isn't mainstream yet nor is it the sweet spot for this generation of cards.
Yes I agree and there will still be games that can not even maintain 60 fps at 1440p with all settings cranked on a GTX 1080 Ti.

How would you feel about a mixed review, some 1440p, some 4K ?

I feel even if we do include some 1440p, 4K really needs to be represented to challenge the video card graphically. Some games aren't much of a challenge, until you try to run them at 4K.

As said above 2K is essential for a review, and it could be way more important that what can it mean at 4K specially with more and more high quality refresh 1440P Panels.. I can be sure that lot of people here prefer to enjoy higher settings and higher refresh rates than the same game at 4K with lower settings and of course "just playable" Frames which are typically some mere 50FPS for most.

Consider NV is claiming this video card is faster than a TITAN X Pascal, and having used a TITAN X Pascal before, it kicked the crap out of 1440p, only 4K challenged it.

I have a 1440p 144 Hz monitor and I can promise you my Titan X Pascal even at max OC does not kick the crap out of many games at this resolution. Take for example Conan Exiles alpha, at 1440p with Ultra settings, I see my FPS dip to the 50s in many instances.

Consider NV is claiming this video card is faster than a TITAN X Pascal, and having used a TITAN X Pascal before, it kicked the crap out of 1440p, only 4K challenged it.

Correct me if im wrong, lazy or just clueless but I don't remember the Titan X was even reviewed at this site... It was used in some games? Yes; it was used a lot in VR? Yes, but as far I know it didn't received a proper review 2K or 4K review

I have a 1440p 144 Hz monitor and I can promise you my Titan X Pascal even at max OC does not kick the crap out of many games at this resolution. Take for example Conan Exiles alpha, at 1440p with Ultra settings, I see my FPS dip to the 50s in many instances.

What is more often used, 4K 60 or 1440p 144hz?

until high refresh 4K screens take over like 1440p took over 1080p i personally could not give any less of a crap about 4K. 60 Hz is no Hz. gimme them 1440p numbers.

What is more often used, 4K 60 or 1440p 144hz?

Nowadays I know way more people using 2K Panels than 4K, and way even more who ditched 4K 60 back to 2K just to enjoy higher settings in newer games at higher FPS..

Reactions: M76
like this
Also listening to opinions on GPU comparisons, we will be for sure including 1080, what else makes sense at $699 in your opinion?

I would say 1440p, I am curious if it could max out games still maintain 60fps (or even 120fps). Just my 0.02c. I do expect a full 4k review.

But IMO Brent do what you think is right. In [H] we trust!

Also listening to opinions on GPU comparisons, we will be for sure including 1080, what else makes sense at $699 in your opinion?

Easy. 1080 GTX and Titan X. That is the only competition it will have.

But at $499 for the 1080 GTX, is it really competing with the 1080ti?

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Correct me if im wrong, lazy or just clueless but I don't remember the Titan X was even reviewed at this site... It was used in some games? Yes; it was used a lot in VR? Yes, but as far I know it didn't received a proper review 2K or 4K review

Correct, we missed the window on that one.

Just for shit and giggles, throw the highest end AMD Available card there?. anything else would be a waste of resources.

I think it's important to find out how much of an upgrade it is over a 1080, and to test NVIDIA's 35% claim, so yes I think 1080 is an important comparison.

Good point. Although....I would say the Titan X is about 30% faster than the 1080 GTX, would be easy to see it would be, but ya you guys never did get that review out.

Either way I guess it would be good to see if for $200 more you do get 35% more performance....TBH I expect the 1080ti to be able to do most games maxed out at 4k60hz and sustain 60fps.

an 11GB card vs. a 4GB card :p

Oh well, according to some users here HBM works different and doesn't represent any bottleneck with the miracolous usage of dynamic memory... also don't forget that even AMD think 4GB HBM "exceeds capabilities of 8GB or 12GB VRAM" but that's kinda off topic, so... why not?. but that's about to be off topic and too tempting to some Anarchist user to bomb the thread.

ehh, let's not kick a horse while they're down. I'd rather forego token Fury X results for more 2k/4k testing.

Tough spot. The only competition NV has at that price is themselves. I'm at 1600 so I'd like to see 1440. But, I think it's a forgone that I'll be getting a ti.

I wouldn't mind seeing some Fury X numbers, but if it takes away from more 2k/4k time to compare the performance claims against 1080/Titan, just leave it out. I've got 4k Freesync, 110hz 1440p screen and a 1080 120hz monitor. So I'm interested in seeing how high it can push both.

I think just 1070/1080/Titan XP/1080Ti at 1440p/4K/VR would be enough. With such a limited number of configurations you are able to expand the list of games used.

Personally I'm very interested in the games you're going to use, as well as the 1070 vs 1080Ti performance numbers. I'm itching for an upgrade, lol.

Back