GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Discussion Thread

You know what I find funny and also nasty at the same time. New Titan XP buyers aren't even a part of the pick your own game promotion. I just realized that. So you drop 1200 on one dam card and you don't even get a free game? Lol Jesus. So not cool.

I purchased a MSI GTX 1080 TI X Sea Hawk from Newegg on Tuesday (4/11/17) and no game coupon was available. Then on the following day (4/12/17) the game coupon (For Honor / Ghost Recon Wildlands) was added to the sale page on Newegg for the GPU I just purchased. I called Newegg and the best they could do was give me a $25 Newegg gift certificate but no game code since it was not available when I purchased the GPU.

I purchased a MSI GTX 1080 TI X Sea Hawk from Newegg on Tuesday (4/11/17) and no game coupon was available. Then on the following day (4/12/17) the game coupon (For Honor / Ghost Recon Wildlands) was added to the sale page on Newegg for the GPU I just purchased. I called Newegg and the best they could do was give me a $25 Newegg gift certificate but no game code since it was not available when I purchased the GPU.

Same situation with my gaming x card. Except I kept pushing the customer service rep I was chatting with and he caved and gave me a code

Are there any other options besides the EVGA hybrid kit? Seems like those are going to be about as common as hens teeth thanks to EVGA fucking it away (again). I read that EK was coming out with some kind of kit that worked with them? I'm considering building a full loop but I have other things I want to spend money on right now, only reason I even bought the 1080ti is because I had $400 in dell rewards to put towards it.

I initially purchased a EVGA GTX 1080TI FE from Frys and was hoping to purchase the EVGA Hybrid kit. I received three notifications from EVGA it was in stock and within minutes it was sold out and never had a chance to order one. I came across the MSI GTX 1080TI X Sea Hawk in stock at Newegg and quickly purchased it on 4/11/17. I will recieve the MSI GPU on Monday and it will replace my EVGA GTX 980TI Hybrid. Considering the cost of the EVGA Hybrid 1080TI kit is $159 and the 1080TI FE card at Fry's was $719 (total cost: $878 before tax) and the MSI 1080 TI X Sea Hawk was $799 it was cheaper to go with the MSI option.

I have the included Display port DVI adapter plugged into a DVI cable for my surfing monitor. I tired HDMI even though the picture looked good I'm going to try a different cable cause my vision wasn't adjusting to the two HDMI cables I have so picked up some blue rigger cables those are usually good I have two of them in DVI form.
I have a Direct Display port cable hooked up to my gaming monitor which doesn't give me any issues just my older monitor is giving me issues.

Maybe I just have to adjust to the card but I think my 2011 monitor isn't up to specs...or the MSI card uses different stuff like the connectors than EVGA or 1080 is too good of a card or whatever.

Last edited:
For some odd reason Riva Tunner or MSI afterburner was screwing with installs. So I'm using Precision X with an MSI card.

Upgraded off my 1080 FTW w/ a 1080ti FE. Honestly i'm glad to have a blower style cooler again. While it is louder it definitely keeps the rest of my case cooler as the hot air isn't being blown inside the case. I find the FE cooler is doing an outstanding job as well and just as with my 1080 i'm hitting voltage limit, not TDP or Heat limits. Getting a pretty solid mid/high 1800mhz which is good enough IMO. Not hitting 2GHZ like my 1080, but honestly that extra 100mhz or so isn't worth mucking with voltage.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
If you noticed that much of a difference in system temps between a blower and open air cooler, that means you have pretty poor airflow throughout your case. The only semi-good reason to not have good airflow is if you're trying to build the quietest system possible with minimal fans at minimal fan speeds, if that's the case, it all goes out the window with a blower style cooler.

If you noticed that much of a difference in system temps between a blower and open air cooler, that means you have pretty poor airflow throughout your case. The only semi-good reason to not have good airflow is if you're trying to build the quietest system possible with minimal fans at minimal fan speeds, if that's the case, it all goes out the window with a blower style cooler.

No, it's not really all that different - I just don't have to crank up my case fans as much. I prefer the heat go straight out which IMO is the superior design. I have a fan that pulls in fresh air from the bottom front of the case straight over the PCI-E sockets which means my GPU gets fresh cold air going in, and spits it straight out the backside. I have a four other fans mid/top area for the rest of the case.

IMO it's the other way around - I think most people don't have proper airflow for the rear-blower style design of GPU's, and thus have higher GPU temps w/ that style cooler. My GPU temps with the blower are the same as the ACX 2.0 design was.

Either way with either style design my case cooling is setup good enough that I never into hitting a thermal limit with the Pascal cards - It's always voltage limit.

IMO it's the other way around - I think most people don't have proper airflow for the rear-blower style design of GPU's, and thus have higher GPU temps w/ that style cooler. My GPU temps with the blower are the same as the ACX 2.0 design was.

If that's the case, just about every review ever has gotten it wrong for the last decade and a half considering I have yet to read one that has a reference blower style cooler out-performing the alternative. I'm sure somewhere one exists, but it would be an exception and not the rule.

You may be hitting the same temps, but you're doing it at a much higher fan speed and while you might get lucky enough to OC to the same level, maintaining that boost is another matter altogether. Reference cooling will drop a lot more and do so a lot sooner.

Out of the box a ROG Strix 1080Ti has a 100Mhz boost advantage. Under load it sees a 17C temp advantage. (84 vs 67) 84 happens to be the temp where a 1080ti starts to throttle. That means the Strix starts off at +100Mhz and extends that advantage as the reference card starts to down clock itself to stay at or under 84C. Then you factor in overclocking, where the Strix will maintain the OC and reference will end up essentially performing like a stock clocked card once heat soak sets in.

There are reasons to buy a reference card, some people simply like them better, while others don't want to wait until other options are available. From a performance metric though, there is no reason. You will get a louder card, you won't get as good cooling and your boost levels will drop off further and sooner. Your internal case temps, by your own admission are not really all that different.

If that's the case, just about every review ever has gotten it wrong for the last decade and a half considering I have yet to read one that has a reference blower style cooler out-performing the alternative. I'm sure somewhere one exists, but it would be an exception and not the rule.

You may be hitting the same temps, but you're doing it at a much higher fan speed and while you might get lucky enough to OC to the same level, maintaining that boost is another matter altogether. Reference cooling will drop a lot more and do so a lot sooner.

Out of the box a ROG Strix 1080Ti has a 100Mhz boost advantage. Under load it sees a 17C temp advantage. (84 vs 67) 84 happens to be the temp where a 1080ti starts to throttle. That means the Strix starts off at +100Mhz and extends that advantage as the reference card starts to down clock itself to stay at or under 84C. Then you factor in overclocking, where the Strix will maintain the OC and reference will end up essentially performing like a stock clocked card once heat soak sets in.

There are reasons to buy a reference card, some people simply like them better, while others don't want to wait until other options are available. From a performance metric though, there is no reason. You will get a louder card, you won't get as good cooling and your boost levels will drop off further and sooner. Your internal case temps, by your own admission are not really all that different.

Never said it was the better design, and yes it is louder because I have the run the fan more. I just /personally/ prefer the design of it. IMO if the blower design was able to extend out more and use 3 slots versus 2 it would work better. Ultimately I consider the 2 slot non-reference coolers like ACX to be three slot cards anyways because you'd be an idiot to put something right on top of it as it is.

Ultimately w/ Pascal i'm not having temp issues - Even w/ the reference blower. With my case 70% fan speed is basically 70c which means even w/ multi hour long sessions i'm holding @ 1800mhz w/ the card I got. Sure, my ACX ran cooler and quieter - But I did have to crank up my case fan speeds by 20% or so to make sure the hot air was being blown out.

Never said it was the better design, and yes it is louder because I have the run the fan more. I just /personally/ prefer the design of it. IMO if the blower design was able to extend out more and use 3 slots versus 2 it would work better. Ultimately I consider the 2 slot non-reference coolers like ACX to be three slot cards anyways because you'd be an idiot to put something right on top of it as it is.

Ultimately w/ Pascal i'm not having temp issues - Even w/ the reference blower. With my case 70% fan speed is basically 70c which means even w/ multi hour long sessions i'm holding @ 1800mhz w/ the card I got. Sure, my ACX ran cooler and quieter - But I did have to crank up my case fan speeds by 20% or so to make sure the hot air was being blown out.
Agreed. I got reference 1080 ti and couldn't be happier :). Not to mention it's a SLICK looking card.

I figured out what was going on with MSI afterburner and Riva tuner seems like they were conflicting with Geforce experience so I installed the drivers alone and had no problems last night.
First I couldn't install any program then I had problems where you right click to Get Nvidia Control panel to open up and it wouldn't open up or even show up on the right click. So I wiped the drivers and didn't install Nvidia Geforce experience which I really don't use for anything except checking for the latest drivers.

Agreed. I got reference 1080 ti and couldn't be happier :). Not to mention it's a SLICK looking card.

Ever since the first Titan came out, I've always thought the reference cards were pretty damn sharp looking.

Ever since the first Titan came out, I've always thought the reference cards were pretty damn sharp looking.

I think the Geforce Experience GTX looks bad in all big Green lettering.....
I wish the fan was passive also and just starts when you use it.

I think the Geforce Experience GTX looks bad in all big Green lettering.....
I wish the fan was passive also and just starts when you use it.

The GeForce GTX lettering is kind of stupid. Outside of that, you aren't making any goddamn sense. If the fan were passive it wouldn't be a fan.

I think this is the most coherent post I've ever seen you make. A passive fan isn't a fan. You aren't talking about something being passive but rather having it off and coming on when a load is placed on it. What you don't seem to grasp is that a graphics card is always under some kind of load so long as the system is powered on. Unfortunately, these GPUs generate too much heat for the fan to be completely off at any point. You can't have a passive cooling solution or an on-demand type of fan setup on this class of card at this point in time.

I think this is the most coherent post I've ever seen you make. A passive fan isn't a fan. You aren't talking about something being passive but rather having it off and coming on when a load is placed on it. What you don't seem to grasp is that a graphics card is always under some kind of load so long as the system is powered on. Unfortunately, these GPUs generate too much heat for the fan to be completely off at any point. You can't have a passive cooling solution or an on-demand type of fan setup on this class of card at this point in time.

i certainly hope you're referring to reference only with this statement because that's exactly what a lot of AIB cards do. Have the fan completely turned off at "idle"

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_Ti_Strix_OC/28.html

FE is terrible. Without touching power limit it settles at 1700ish MHz @ 84C around 2300-2400RPM.

The partner cards that are boosting to 1900+ are doing so at like 70C with zero audible noise.

From 1700 to 2000mhz is around 7FPS @ 4K for me which is huge and the difference between hitting 60FPS in some games and not. The difference being that the founders card is woefully inadequate even out the box and can't maintain anywhere near 2000mhz without hurricane fan speed.

Only way to make the FE tolerable is to undervolt. Mine does 0.883v @ 1850mhz which drops TDP maybe 20-30w but it's still not as quiet as a 1080 FE which I found borderline acceptable.

As for the internal vs external GPU exhaust, IMO its irrelevant in a modern case. Also, place your hand by the SLI fingers, the FE let's out quite a bit of air through there into your case.

Mine runs at 1860 at 74c after two hours of full load playing mass effect. Linear fan speed to temp, and 120% TDP slider. I'm hitting voltage limit, not tdp. Although I'm damn near TDP limit at 115-117% at 100% load.

Either you got a shit card, or your case setup is not good for supplying the card with cool air.

Last edited:
My Ti tends to settle at 1911 out the box. I've seen it drop to 1886-ish occasionally but I think 90% of the time the card is slightly above 1900. I think the fan curve I have setup has it top out at 70%. Not sure of the GPU temp, I would have to go back and look.

Yes. That's the only one I've got experience with.

I thought it was pretty obvious that's what he was talking about. I thought that was a common thing with non FE cards? I don't know, I never have the patience to wait for non FE/stock cards.

Yes. That's the only one I've got experience with.

So why the unnecessarily harsh reply? You clearly knew what he meant by the fan being passive and his thought process isn't all that far fetched considering it actually exists. It isn't even a new concept. My 980Ti with an ACX 2.0 cooler behaves the same way and has the same TDP rating as a 1080Ti.

So why the unnecessarily harsh reply? You clearly knew what he meant by the fan being passive and his thought process isn't all that far fetched considering it actually exists. It isn't even a new concept. My 980Ti with an ACX 2.0 cooler behaves the same way and has the same TDP rating as a 1080Ti.

It wasn't intended to be that harsh, but came across that way.

Mine runs at 1860 at 74c after two hours of full load playing mass effect. Linear fan speed to temp, and 120% TDP slider. I'm hitting voltage limit, not tdp. Although I'm damn near TDP limit at 115-117% at 100% load.

Either you got a shit card, or your case setup is not good for supplying the card with cool air.

Well he was clearly talking about default fan speed, which indeed struggles to keep the card above 1600-1700 and is already pretty damn loud by my standards (and not just mines, as you can see in this thread). Now that I've slapped my Prolimatech MK-26 on it, my FE is doing 1800-1900mhz because the core never gets higher than 70c. That's with default TDP and no OC whatsoever. The limiting factor is always TDP now. Which is fine by me, I don't want to go higher than 250w but I do want silence (hence my choice of 140 mm 800rpm fans).

I wouldn't say the FE cooler "sucks" though, I mean it gets the job done at the end of the day, even in a case with horrible airflow. I'm pretty sure it could be improved in terms of noise and thermals with a bit of research, but nvidia has no reason to bother with the lack of competition in the high-end GPU market anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I have had no issues with the 381.65 driver and the "Creator's" update.

Well he was clearly talking about default fan speed, which indeed struggles to keep the card above 1600-1700 and is already pretty damn loud by my standards (and not just mines, as you can see in this thread). Now that I've slapped my Prolimatech MK-26 on it, my FE is doing 1800-1900mhz because the core never gets higher than 70c. That's with default TDP and no OC whatsoever. The limiting factor is always TDP now. Which is fine by me, I don't want to go higher than 250w but I do want silence (hence my choice of 140 mm 800rpm fans).

I wouldn't say the FE cooler "sucks" though, I mean it gets the job done at the end of the day, even in a case with horrible airflow. I'm pretty sure it could be improved in terms of noise and thermals with a bit of research, but nvidia has no reason to bother with the lack of competition in the high-end GPU market anyway.

Bingo.

Uh not his? Or were you being funny? I do like the new look as well. I have a little buyers remorse going with the FE this time around because the cooler has to spool way up to cool this puppy at times. At least I have I will have an array water cooling options though. I am leaning towards an eVGA AIO but might go balls out and build a custom loop.

Hey guys,

has anybody benchmarked Watch Dogs 2 with the Gtx 1080ti? Is it playable in max Settings at 60FPS in 2880x1680? Wanna play it in that DSR resolution.

Uh not his? Or were you being funny? I do like the new look as well. I have a little buyers remorse going with the FE this time around because the cooler has to spool way up to cool this puppy at times. At least I have I will have an array water cooling options though. I am leaning towards an eVGA AIO but might go balls out and build a custom loop.

Custom loop will cool atleast 10c better ;)

Maybe he was commenting on the difference in look between the old ACX and new ACX coolers?
Custom loop reference point: My card is heavily overclocked (Titan XP). It idles at 19C and doesn't go much above 31C when being thrashed.
You must keep your house cold :cold:. I like to keep the ambient temp in my house around 25C

I don't think many keep their house at or below 19c/66f. Most anything is going to run cool at that temp, probably even an AMD card. Still loving my FE Ti. Don't see why some of the snowflakes are bothered by the FE. I had my card before aftermarket cooler cards were out, it's fast, cool, and quiet. What else is there to want?

You must keep your house cold :cold:. I like to keep the ambient temp in my house around 25C

My man cave is in a finished basement. I live in Minnesota. 19C / 66F is warm around these parts. :D

The rest of the house is kept at 70F over the fall/winter/spring months. And it does warm up a bit during the summer months, but I like it cool.

Well, I pre-ordered the 1080ti Hybrid cooler kit from EVGA on B&H Photo so I don't have to keep trying to chase the dumbass EVGA site.

Well, I pre-ordered the 1080ti Hybrid cooler kit from EVGA on B&H Photo so I don't have to keep trying to chase the dumbass EVGA site.

I had it in my cart and changed my mind. Now I've changed it again though..

Last edited:
I had it in my cart and changed my mine. Now I've changed it again though..

I'm just going to let it sit on preorder, if one day by some miracle EVGA cures their rectal cranial insertion syndrome and ships more than 3 of these things at a time, I might get one. Not too big a deal either way. It still completely baffles me how they thought nobody would want these when Titan owners have been asking for it for damn near a year so they made a "limited run".

This is the last time I am buying an MSI card. First time it was the 980 Ti that wouldn't clock past 1434 MHz. This time the 1080 Ti that won't clock past 1950 MHz without crashing (does 1974 but then backs down to 1950 for consistent performance).
What a POS.
My ASUS 1080 Ti FE did 2050/12100. This one does 1950/12100. Angry at it.
For now, I have set it to OC mode that boosts it to 1923-1936 and left it there. Screw MSI.

Back