GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Discussion Thread

So how long does it usually take for board partners custom cooler cards to hit the shelves?

This is what I'm waiting for. I've normally bought reference designs because of early availability and the fact that the non-reference designs rarely offered a whole lot over the reference boards. In the last couple generations I've felt that the reference designs were often substantially better. If they have higher clocks, better cooling, better VRM designs, and more RAM it's a no brainer. I'll wait a bit to get what I really want.

All I know is if if they come out at the advertised price, its going to murder the price of used Nvidia cards...now is not the time to buying used.

Luckily for me, I'm in the unique position of having until the 21st to return a 1080 and get the full $650 back. On top of that I got a microcenter gift card for 93% of the face value (from another member here) that hopefully should cover the full amount of the 1080ti. All I've got to do now is wait and pray the stock gods allow for a custom 1080 to hit the shelf soon.

A Titan X (Pascal) combined with a 1080Ti wouldn't really gimp the Titan X. You can disable SLI in cases where it doesn't work well and have full access to all the CUDA cores and memory. In cases were SLI works well, two 1080Ti's (effectively) will outrun that single Titan X. There is no question of this. Also keep in mind that the 1080Ti has faster core clock speeds. You would lose access to some memory but it's not as though he's likely to use it anyway. The previous 980Ti had fewer CUDA cores but it's clocks made up for that. I suspect the same is true of the 1080Ti.
I was replying to his second question, which sounded like he wanted to flash a 1080 Ti BIOS onto a Titan X. I did respond at 03:00 in the morning, though, so my reading comprehension may have been off. If you could SLI a Titan X and a 1080 Ti together I think it would work well enough given both chips are nearly the same.

I'd be surprised if we didn't start seeing the board partners releasing by April. The most complicated part will be all the variations. Six months after the 1st 1080's and we're still getting new versions from the big companies like MSI and Gigabyte.

Either way I can't wait to drop one of these in my 2600k setup and match w/ our 1440p/144hz g-sync. It's gonna be a lotta fun.

I was replying to his second question, which sounded like he wanted to flash a 1080 Ti BIOS onto a Titan X. I did respond at 03:00 in the morning, though, so my reading comprehension may have been off. If you could SLI a Titan X and a 1080 Ti together I think it would work well enough given both chips are nearly the same.

Your right, if he does that he will be gimping it. Most likely, the Titan X won't be able to handle the 1080Ti's clock speeds and you'd lose CUDA cores if it worked at all. Also, there is the loss of VRAM.

I'm waiting on SC ACX versions for the midplate so I have the option to do H90's off nzxt AiO bracket if I decide to, like I did on my 780ti sc acx's. I've waited this long, I can wait on availability including avoiding trickle in/out of stock craze price mark ups.

I've got a 1080Ti on pre-order to replace my pair of 980Ti's...I've got an EK waterblock already in the mail for the card when it arrives. And since I'm cutting down on heat load, I'm going to swap one of my 360 radiators out with a 280 to cut down on some fan noise.

Of course the long pole in the tent is now the radiator bracket...so I think I'll bit sitting on this card for a week or two after it arrives, just waiting for that last damn part.

On the plus side, at least that'll be another week for driver updates to come out.

I wanted to wait for Vega, but that was before I found out that one of my 980s is warped. It still works but is limited to 8x link speed.

Assuming that it can't outright beat the 1080 Ti, what are the chances that Vega has enough of a lead in Async Compute to matter?

Is the FE card using a cooling solution specifically for the 1080 Ti? I'm wondering if the partner cards may end up being louder since the initial releases all seem to be reusing 1080 cooling solutions without any tweaks while the Ti is higher TDP.

I wanted to wait for Vega, but that was before I found out that one of my 980s is warped. It still works but is limited to 8x link speed.

Assuming that it can't outright beat the 1080 Ti, what are the chances that Vega has enough of a lead in Async Compute to matter?
I don't think anything is going to help Vega make up the 35% performance deficit to the 1080 Ti (Vega has only barely matched the 1080 in what AMD has shown us so far). In ideal conditions AMD cards have gained about 20% in games that specifically use Async Shaders. While the increase is smaller, Pascal still makes gains with Async Compute (5-10%, usually) compared to AMD (12-15%). Also still remember that there are new optimized drivers for DX12 coming from NVIDIA, so the gains Pascal sees could be even better.
Is the FE card using a cooling solution specifically for the 1080 Ti? I'm wondering if the partner cards may end up being louder since the initial releases all seem to be reusing 1080 cooling solutions without any tweaks while the Ti is higher TDP.
Could be unique if the improvements made to the vapor chamber don't trickle down to newer revisions of the 1080. Could be, as the GP102 die is also significantly larger than GP104.

There doesn't seem to be that much information about the reference cooler designs but there are subtle differences from the 980 Ti to the 1080 to the Titan X(P) so there probably will be some more minor tweaks for the 1080 Ti - it'll probably look similar to the Titan X(P) more than anything else, sharing the same TDP and die size (it is the same GP102 right).

As for relative noise levels, the reference blower design will always have a distinct noise/tone vs the open air coolers.

Could be unique if the improvements made to the vapor chamber don't trickle down to newer revisions of the 1080. Could be, as the GP102 die is also significantly larger than GP104.
I would imagine there would be more canned press from Nvidia about the cooling if there were bigger changes to the vapor chamber, but they've been relatively quiet on it, even on the Titan X(P). The only real item was that they removed the DVI which cleans up the 2-slot plate for better (exiting) airflow:

GeForce_GTX_1080ti_Ports_575px.jpg

(source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11172/nvidia-unveils-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-next-week-699)

Sure, that alone will make for more efficient cooling, but real-world the temperature/noise performance could be just about the same as the Titan X(P).

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS84LzcvNjAwMzQzL29yaWdpbmFsL3RlbXBlcmF0dXJlLnBuZw==

(source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,4700-2.html)

Well, I placed a pre-order. Haven't even used a reference design in ages. We'll see how long I can stand the cooler, odds are I'll replace the cooling solution pretty quickly unless some miracle happened :p

Do you guys think this reference cooler will be loud?
The stock fan curve is pretty quiet on the Titan X, but you'll run into the default thermal limit quickly. As a result, your Boost clock won't be optimal. The fan can spin up to around 4800 RPM with a custom curve, though, and it obviously gets really loud at that point. Not as obnoxious as the GTX Titan X fan since it's lower pitched, but it can still get on your nerves.

Sounds like I'd still be better off going with MSI, the Gaming X has treated me well on the 980 (though I haven't use a 980 Ti). I'm right at the limit of the recommended PSU though since it's (initially) going in a m-itx build using a 600W Corsair SF600 PSU.

Sounds like I'd still be better off going with MSI, the Gaming X has treated me well on the 980 (though I haven't use a 980 Ti). I'm right at the limit of the recommended PSU though since it's (initially) going in a m-itx build using a 600W Corsair SF600 PSU.

600W is more than enough, even 500-550 would be fine if you don't OC like a madman. (assuming a decent PSU, of course)

I tend to not overclock anything anymore (particularly in my m-itx build), just can't be bothered, lol.

I tend to not overclock anything anymore (particularly in my m-itx build), just can't be bothered, lol.

I'm also mitx and do not overclock
1. It's fast enough.
2. It hasn't been ridden hard and put away wet so when I sell it to another person they get a good part.
3. Mitx builds aren't usually known for great heat dissipation.

Should I replace my 980ti SLI @ 1500mhz for a single 1080ti on my 144hz 1440p monitor? It might be a slight downgrade but I feel like my setup now is overkill sometimes (except maybe BF1 and other demanding games) and some games don't work with SLI so it be an improvement there. I feel like my quad 120 rad, triple 140 rad, and double 140 rad would be overkill for a CPU and 1 1080ti lol. Or maybe go 1080Ti SLI since new games will be more demanding?

Should I replace my 980ti SLI @ 1500mhz for a single 1080ti on my 144hz 1440p monitor? It might be a slight downgrade but I feel like my setup now is overkill sometimes (except maybe BF1 and other demanding games) and some games don't work with SLI so it be an improvement there. I feel like my quad 120 rad, triple 140 rad, and double 140 rad would be overkill for a CPU and 1 1080ti lol. Or maybe go 1080Ti SLI since new games will be more demanding?

If it were me I'd sell the 980 Ti's since they're depreciating. The industry does seem to be moving away from SLI, so unless you only play a handful of games that you already know support SLI, fastest-single-card is what many former SLI people are settling on, self included.

As for 1080 Ti SLI, run a single card for a while to verify if you even need more power. It could be that you only need to turn down a few minor graphics settings or AA level to maintain 1440@144.

As for 1080 Ti SLI, wait until you've been running a single card for a while to verify if you even need more power.

At 4K I already know a single 1080Ti will be insufficient. I'll take two. :)

If it were me I'd sell the 980 Ti's since they're depreciating. The industry does seem to be moving away from SLI, so unless you only play a handful of games that you already know support SLI, fastest-single-card is what many former SLI people are settling on, self included.

As for 1080 Ti SLI, run a single card for a while to verify if you even need more power. It could be that you only need to turn down a few minor graphics settings or AA level to maintain 1440@144.

That's a good point. Try one card and add another later. I prefer max settings in every game. I don't need 144fps in every game. 100+ is a good goal.

Witcher 3 Max with hairworks off at 2560 x 1440
gtx 1080 sli 139fps
980ti sli 109fps
Titan pascal gets 97 fps average (likely ~70 - 100 - 130+ fps band).
gtx 1080 gets 74fps average.
980ti gets 53fps average

Witcher 3 4k Max hairworks off
gtx 1080 sli 80fps
titan at 58fps avg ( ~ 30 - 60 - 90 band)
980ti sli 51 fps
gtx 1080 gets 43 fps average
980ti gets 31 fps average

GTA V 1440p at VERY HIGH with MSAA off:
Titan 120fps, gtx 1080 91fps, 980ti 68fps average
GTA V 4k at VERY HIGH with MSAA off: Titan 63fps, gtx 1080 46fps, 980ti 34 fps average band

This graph is a different game but is a good example of what to expect from 100fps-hz avg vs 60fps-hz avg. The averages typically swing plus and minus 30fps throughout most of the graphs other than a few potholes and spikes. Having a high hz monitor without getting 100fps-hz average or better is getting practically nothing out of the high hz capacity. So it depends on your resolution vs motion excellence aesthetics, what graphics settings you are willing to dial in to, and your gpu budget. Note that dp 1.4 monitors will finally be released supposedly sometime in 2017 which will include 144hz at 4k and 144hz 3440 x 1440 monitors.

ALY9lQS.png

http://www.techspot.com/review/1195-palit-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/page4.html

"Though we mostly focused on games that support Nvidia’s multi-GPU technology, these also happen to be some of the most popular PC games released as of late. On average SLI enabled 63% more performance -- or 71% if we ignore Ashes of the Singularity. We'd call that a solid score for SLI scaling.

Granted, this may not convince many to spend another $600+ on a second GPU but in a good number of scenarios at 4K, it pushed performance from playable to smooth-as-silk.

Overall, while I'm not generally a big advocate of multi-GPU technology, it does make sense here assuming that you can afford it.
The 4K gaming experience delivered by these cards is the best I have seen yet. For those willing and able to drop four figures on this GPU configuration, you won’t be disappointed with the results."

http://techbuyersguru.com/4k-gaming...1070-sli-vs-1080-sli-vs-titan-x-pascal?page=4

"All told, both Titan X Pascal and modern-day SLI make playable 4K framerates the rule rather than the exception. But alas, TBG's motto is "bringing tech to light," and sometimes that means shining a harsh light on chasing the limits of technology for technology's sake. As we've shown, you can certainly game at 4K with SLI or the Titan X Pascal, and enthusiasts no doubt consider 4K benchmarks to be the ultimate test of a modern gaming PC's mettle. The problem inherent in this approach is that 4K gaming may in fact not be the end-all-and-be-all of modern PC gaming. That's because 4K monitors are currently limited to 60Hz, and throughout our testing, it was painfully obvious that our overall gaming experience on our 27" 4K monitor wasn't nearly as good as it is on the Acer 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor we typically test with. Yes, the added resolution is nice when you're sitting still admiring the scenery, but once the action starts up, the tearing, lag, and just plain sluggishness of a 60Hz monitor rears its ugly head."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practically every game I play on the GoTY and top pc games of 2016, 2015 and top pc games of all time lists supports SLI once the dust settled on patches and drivers. The only one I miss it on is forza 3 personally.

While you are eliminating sli you may as well eliminate high hz monitors .. /s. If you aren't getting at least 100fps-hz average (~ 70 - 100 - 130+ fps-hz band), you aren't getting anything out of having a high hz monitor. DP 1.4 144hz 3440 x 1440 and 3840 x 2160 monitors due out later this year.

Both unreal engine and work on final fantasy XV are implementing SLI support too, and I'm assuming the sequel to shadow of mordor.. so there should be a lot of titles going forward.

With unreal engine going for HDR and sli support there should be a lot of games in the future that support SLI just on that engine alone.

Another SLI game list from top games (incomplete list)

The Witcher 2, 3
Dishonored 1, 2
Half-Life games
Portal 2
Orange Box ganes
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (assuming the sequel "Shadow of War" will too)
The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim
Borderlands 2 games
Mass Effect games
Fallout Games
Far Cry Games
Overwatch
DOOM 2016
Alien Isolation

Path of Exile
World of Warcraft
Guild Wars 2
The Elder Scrolls Online
Diablo III
Torchlight games
Tomb Raider Games
Bioshock Games
Assassin's creed games
Grand Theft Auto Games
Star Wars games
Civilization games
Quake games
Doom games
Homeworld2 -(some SLI problems at 4k remaster release, then patched and fixed among other gameplay bugs)
Thief games
Resident Evil Games
Evolve
Starcraft 2
Doom 3
Dirt Rally

Metal Gear solid V
Hitman
Crysis
Batman Ark
Battlefield games
Call of Duty games (incl Black Ops 2)
Dark souls games
Dota 2
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland
Grid
Saint's Row
Watch Dogs 2
Max Payne
The Talos Principle
Dying Light

Last edited:
Witcher 3 ultra with hairworks off at 2560 x 1440
gtx 1080 sli 139fps
980ti sli 109fps
Titan pascal gets 97 fps average (likely ~70 - 100 - 130+ fps band).
gtx 1080 gets 74fps average.
980ti gets 53fps average

Witcher 3 4k ultra hairworks off
gtx 1080 sli 80fps
titan at 58fps avg ( ~ 30 - 60 - 90 band)
980ti sli 51 fps
gtx 1080 gets 43 fps average
980ti gets 31 fps average

GTA V 1440p at VERY HIGH with MSAA off:
Titan 120fps, gtx 1080 91fps, 980ti 68fps average
GTA V 4k at VERY HIGH with MSAA off: Titan 63fps, gtx 1080 46fps, 980ti 34 fps average band

This graph is a different game but is a good example of what to expect from 100fps-hz avg vs 60fps-hz avg. The averages typically swing plus and minus 30fps throughout most of the graphs other than a few potholes and spikes. Having a high hz monitor without getting 100fps-hz average or better is getting practically nothing out of the high hz capacity. So it depends on your resolution vs motion excellence aesthetics, what graphics settings you are willing to dial in to, and your gpu budget. Note that dp 1.4 monitors will finally be released supposedly sometime in 2017 which will include 144hz at 4k and 144hz 3440 x 1440 monitors.

ALY9lQS.png

http://www.techspot.com/review/1195-palit-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/page4.html

"Though we mostly focused on games that support Nvidia’s multi-GPU technology, these also happen to be some of the most popular PC games released as of late. On average SLI enabled 63% more performance -- or 71% if we ignore Ashes of the Singularity. We'd call that a solid score for SLI scaling.

Granted, this may not convince many to spend another $600+ on a second GPU but in a good number of scenarios at 4K, it pushed performance from playable to smooth-as-silk.

Overall, while I'm not generally a big advocate of multi-GPU technology, it does make sense here assuming that you can afford it.
The 4K gaming experience delivered by these cards is the best I have seen yet. For those willing and able to drop four figures on this GPU configuration, you won’t be disappointed with the results."

http://techbuyersguru.com/4k-gaming...1070-sli-vs-1080-sli-vs-titan-x-pascal?page=4

"All told, both Titan X Pascal and modern-day SLI make playable 4K framerates the rule rather than the exception. But alas, TBG's motto is "bringing tech to light," and sometimes that means shining a harsh light on chasing the limits of technology for technology's sake. As we've shown, you can certainly game at 4K with SLI or the Titan X Pascal, and enthusiasts no doubt consider 4K benchmarks to be the ultimate test of a modern gaming PC's mettle. The problem inherent in this approach is that 4K gaming may in fact not be the end-all-and-be-all of modern PC gaming. That's because 4K monitors are currently limited to 60Hz, and throughout our testing, it was painfully obvious that our overall gaming experience on our 27" 4K monitor wasn't nearly as good as it is on the Acer 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor we typically test with. Yes, the added resolution is nice when you're sitting still admiring the scenery, but once the action starts up, the tearing, lag, and just plain sluggishness of a 60Hz monitor rears its ugly head."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practically every game I play on the GoTY and top pc games of 2016, 2015 and top pc games of all time lists supports SLI once the dust settled on patches and drivers. The only one I miss it on is forza 3 personally.

While you are eliminating sli you may as well eliminate high hz monitors .. /s. If you aren't getting at least 100fps-hz average (~ 70 - 100 - 130+ fps-hz band), you aren't getting anything out of having a high hz monitor. DP 1.4 144hz 3440 x 1440 and 3840 x 2160 monitors due out later this year.

Both unreal engine and work on final fantasy XV are implementing SLI support too, and I'm assuming the sequel to shadow of mordor.. so there should be a lot of titles going forward.

With unreal engine going for HDR and sli support there should be a lot of games in the future that support SLI just on that engine alone.

The important detail is the one about sli working "after the dust settles on drivers and patches" most people don't want to wait or deal with the hoops you need to go through to make it work and they don't typically find out there are problems until they have already made their purchase. For me it is so frustrating that Yeah I'll dump both my 980tis for a 1080ti if it spares me those issues. For one thing, I play alot of elite dangerous in vr and that is game where sli does not work properly in that mode. There are also loads of games where the performance gains are minimal or there are instability issues.

Yeah sli is cool and great when it works, but I certainly wouldn't fault someone for wanting to stay in a one card solution.

I'm not trying to fault anyone for choosing single card. I'm just trying to show where the drop offs are vs the tradeoffs and limitations of more extreme resolutions and graphics settings. If anything it is the opposite - many people are faulting sli more than what it is and will be for the next few years and seem to be trying to parrot that it is dead perhaps because some of them wish it to be cost wise.

Hell, I have nothing against 1080p 144hz monitors dedicated to gaming for those who want the most performance and cranked settings. Personally I refuse to go back to 60hz or to drop gsync/variable hz for that matter so if looking at 144hz 1440p , 3440x1440 and 4k gaming on 144hz dp 1.4 monitors the next two years, incl. considering that game complexity ceiling will likely increase, it is going to require some decisions on what you are willing to do trade off wise to get anything out of a high hz monitor (100fps-hz average or better),

Last edited:
At 4K I already know a single 1080Ti will be insufficient. I'll take two. :)

Same. I'm buying two with a 6950X upgrade.
I use my PC for media work more than gaming.

I can't bring myself to even buy one 1080Ti for the sole purpose play the broken games (DX12 games especially) available today.

I have the waterblock in the mail right now, hopefully there will be plenty of supply when it launches. Since I am watercooling I am hoping the coolaboratory ultra voltage trick works for 1080ti like it did for the Titan XP.

Same. I'm buying two with a 6950X upgrade.
I use my PC for media work more than gaming.

I can't bring myself to even buy one 1080Ti for the sole purpose play the broken games (DX12 games especially) available today.

I use my PC for work as well but after having had my hands on the Core i7 6950X I don't want one. I can't get it past 4.3GHz and as a result it would actually be a downgrade since I probably can't make use of the extra two cores. Of course the one I had wasn't a very good example of the CPU either. Mine degraded to where it would barely run at stock speeds.

Last edited:
I have the waterblock in the mail right now, hopefully there will be plenty of supply when it launches. Since I am watercooling I am hoping the coolaboratory ultra voltage trick works for 1080ti like it did for the Titan XP.
Voltage trick?

Voltage trick?
You cover a certain shunt resistor with CL Liquid Pro Ultra to lower resistance so the voltage read by the card is lower than it actually is. This allows you to add more power without the need for a BIOS change, which can't be done on the Titan X. Can also be done with a graphite pencil or just soldering over it, but the trick is to not lower the resistance too much.

Back