GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by DPI, Mar 1, 2017.

1. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

My card is in limbo and I have to ship out my current card this morning. Sad face. Have to deal with a 7770 or something stupid in the meantime.

Also, FedEx tracking is confusing to read.

Clearance delay
    MEMPHIS, TN
    Ship date: Tue 6/06/2017
    TAOYUAN COUNTY, TW TW

Scheduled delivery:

Pending

Clearance instructions from the importer are required.
    Recommended action:
    Importer must provide instructions.
    Reason for delay:
    Importer needs to provide tariff number.
    Recommended action:
    Importer to provide.
    No scheduled delivery date available at this time.

Travel History

Date/Time
    Activity Location

6/06/2017 - Tuesday
    8:53 pm In transit TA YUAN HSIANG TW
    8:41 pm Left FedEx origin facility TAOYUAN DISTRICT TW
    8:39 pm In transit TA YUAN HSIANG TW
    8:22 pm Picked up TAOYUAN DISTRICT TW
    8:15 pm Clearance delay - Import ANCHORAGE, AK
    2:10 pm In transit ANCHORAGE, AK
    Package available for clearance
    1:44 pm Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
    3:47 am Shipment information sent to FedEx

2. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Looks fine as its moving alone.

3. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Regular Firestrike? What is this, 2013? You should be benching with Firestrike Ultra now that you have a 1080 Ti ;).

4. Azrak

Azrak Limp Gawd

Does everyone actually pay for the advanced edition to get access to that? I refuse.

5. Pasic

Pasic n00bie

Haha, i compared it to my previous video cards . 4000 higher score than my old temporary 1070 G1 @ 2100mhz same PC.

Armenius likes this.
  6. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Just got my PNY XLR8 1080 Ti in. I am so worried it won't fit in my case it is sooooo long. What OC software do you guys recommend for nVidia cards, been in camp AMD for so long now. I normally use afterburner but do I need to do anything special to unlock the voltage or power targets, or just play it safe?

7. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

Absolutely wasn't fine. Customs in Tiawan still had it after 6 days. Just got off the phone with Corsair and FedEx. Corsair didn't provide the tariff number or some bologna.

8. TahoeDust

TahoeDust Limp Gawd

Pasic likes this.
  9. Pasic

Pasic n00bie

Damn boy, you got that old cpu singing. Good work!
    ive noticed that everyone around me on leader has 2000+MHz ram. I wonder what that would do to my score.

10. CSI_PC

CSI_PC 2[H]4U

Easiest and most common is MSI Afterburner: http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-overclocking-tweaking.html
    Can find it in the list.
    Cheers

11. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

12. Armenius

I paid like $10 or $15 for it on Steam when it was on sale a couple years ago.

bl4d3runn3r and Azrak like this.
  13. oshia86

oshia86 Gawd

Why is your max turbo speed listed as 1.8ghz? FYI, I don't know if it's related, but I had to update my bios after the creators update. My cpu would not clock any higher than 2.4ghz. seems the power management had gone wonky. Might be something to check.

14. Pasic

Pasic n00bie

Not sure what happened. History in 3d mark showed it was clocked at 4.9ghz whole time.

Wierd.

Armenius likes this.
  15. Armenius

SysInfo is sometimes wonky. Every other run it will not report the clock speed on my Titan X correctly.

16. Pasic

Pasic n00bie

Quite happy with the strix card. I can hit 2126 mhz and pass benchmark on 100% fan with a guess of low 20c Celsius ambient. i wonder what sort of temps i can hit with EK waterblock :|

Attached Files:

17. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

You may not see higher but you'll atleast mantain the speed and be alot quieter! Which on my book is why i went water cooling.

Pasic and revenant like this.
  18. skiddierow

skiddierow Limp Gawd

This thread could use a bump.

Did this last weekend.

[​IMG]

This is the 1070/1080 hybrid kit. I don't care about the EVGA shroud.

Case is a 230T. I ended up using velcro on the rad, and stuffed it into optical bay. Punched out the optical covers, and glued in PVC mesh.

The fan EVGA includes was obnoxious. I have a NF-P12 on there now.

Core clock +150, power/temp max, volt +50, it bounces between 1974 - 2012. Usually sits at 2000.

65º C after an hour of Gears 4, ambient around 27º. (Hello FL Summer)

Temps in the mid 50s is doable, just a matter of how much noise you want to put up with.

CPU temps rose a few degrees.

Quietest PC I've ever had. :geek:

More pics for reference.

19. QUAKE006

QUAKE006 n00bie

I just ordered mine on Wednesday as a birthday present to myself. It should be at my house on either the 3rd or the 5th and I am insanely excited to play 4K.

NukeDukem, heatlesssun and eclypse like this.
  20. BroHamBone

BroHamBone [H]ard|Gawd

I just removed the shroud on the pump housing and reinstalled the plate over it. :D 20170320_222700.jpg

21. skiddierow

skiddierow Limp Gawd

Nice. lol

I would've considered cutting the shroud, if I could easily get a replacement.

My PC sits low anyways, on a pedestal I made with 2x12 lumber.

22. Jiv_au

Jiv_au n00bie

I tried this approach but couldn't quite fit the shroud nearest to the brackets - the hose was way too stiff.
    Also, I think I almost killed the GPU die in the process. They left microscopic dimples on the copper heat plate.

Ended up taking a dremel to mod the 1080/70 hybrid kit midplate.

My temps are (21C room temp, +150core/+500mem/120%power)
    - 53C Unigine Heaven max settings (2012MHz)
    - 57C Witcher 3, GTA V, Farcry Primal (2000MHz)

23. BroHamBone

BroHamBone [H]ard|Gawd

Ah. Yea I was worried about the hoses myself. It worked out fine. I guess I could modify the kits midplate...considering I probably wont return it anytime soon or ever :D

I sat my core @ 2025 during gaming and max my temp @52C. I havent touched the memory yet.

24. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardness Supreme

25. MorgothPl

MorgothPl 2[H]4U

Went with +50 memory (5557 MHz) and
    Got 2012 MHz in Afterburner OSD and 2050 MHz I Unigine Heaven OSD. Temp is 61C under water.

No artefacts, no throttling, absolutely low noise.

But disassembling FE to put water block? Never again. Such a pita, especially hexagonal screws under backplate.

Armenius likes this.
  26. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Pretty soon I'm going to unplug the Geforce GTX glowing green logo on my card since Nvidia LED visulizer resets with every driver install.
    I see a few tuts on youtube on how to Sandpaper the logo green away.

27. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Just bought an Asus GTX 1080ti turbo & slapped it into my EVGA Hadron air case.

So far so good, but I am running the PSU at pretty close to peak capacity. It is pulling something like 425-440 watts from the wall at full load.

I am definitely going to be looking to get either Lian-Li's new mITX case with tempered glass, or one of the N-Case's.

Temps max out at 81-82c, but don't go any higher and I don't really notice any throttling, so that's good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cybereality likes this.
  28. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise Gawd

Odd. I installed the visualizer once, turned off the LEDs, and they have never come back on. They might if you run a device driver cleaner, since that wipes registry settings.

Armenius likes this.
  29. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

I recommend the NCASE - with your configuration you could easily get a 700W ATX PSU in there.

Wifey has the Hadron Air and I have a v2 NCASE M1 - hers is under the desk and mine is on top.

sparky1_2007 likes this.
  30. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

Have you seen the new Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift and Shift X? takes a mITX board and can fit a full sized PSU and vid card.

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift.html

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift-X.html

Armenius likes this.
  31. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

I installed mine yesterday. I'd installed it on a pair of GTX480s about six years ago so it wasn't my first rodeo but still - I can't afford to replace this card for 6-9 months if I break it.

The pre-epoxy layout:
    [​IMG]

I didn't have a good solution for the rear module (whatever it is) so it's not covered but the card seems to be running fine.

It stays at 60-61C in games and idles at 36-38C

I tried pushing clocks and power but only seemed to make it unstable on my first attempt. With stock settings, it runs at 1950 and spikes into the 2000s occasionally (seems to be power limited)

I did it for the noise so even if there isn't much of a performance increase, I'm extremely happy to not have to listen to it anymore.

Yes, the wiring sucks, I have a love-hate relationship with the V21 (the window panel is the top):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Comixbooks likes this.
  32. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

33. pandora's box

pandora's box [H]ardness Supreme

So this is a conversation I was having over at Overclock.net. Undervolting and then overclocking the 1080 Ti is definitely the way to go.

So I finally had time tonight to remove the cooler and put some better thermal paste on the GPU. Removed whatever generic junk MSI was using (and a lot of it too, god damn lol, replaced it with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught. Just ran 3 runs back to back of the Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark. GPU was at 1.000 volts and was running from 2025 to 2000 MHz at a max temp of 63C. I'm astonished at the drop in temperature from 80C to 63C from just changing the thermal paste. Ambient temperature has not changed either, 72F. The crazy thing is, is I was running this benchmark run at 3440x1440 max settings, though FXAA and not SSAA, the previous runs where I was hitting 80C before changing the thermal paste was at 1440P.

While creating this post I decided to try 0.993 volts @ 2000MHz. Card ran locked at 2000Mhz at .993 Volts, it hit 60C after 3 runs of Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark, a 4C drop from 1.000 volts.

Achieved a new high score in Firestrike Extreme:

GPU @ 2088 Mhz, Memory at 1514MHz

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  34. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

So what you're saying is I should go ahead and undervolt my 1080ti? Msi founders w/ Evga hybrid kit, and it usually doesn't go above 55c. I have MSI afterburner installed and will take a look at it when I get home. I run it at the stock clocks because I really don't need the extra horsepower. I find it plays everything I throw at it. 1440p 144hz gysnc, and my eyes are perfectly happy anywhere between 75-144fps

35. Vengar613

Vengar613 n00bie

Pretty happy with the strix @2.05ghz. Arkham Knight, Dirt 4, Mass Effect, Outlast 2, Doom, Battlefield, and Tomb Raider all look amaze.

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
    revenant, Armenius and lostin3d like this.
  36. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardness Supreme

37. lostin3d

lostin3d Limp Gawd

I hear ya. I've been back and forth with MSI for much of the last 10 years along with some GIgabyte stuff. I remember that last go around(1080 non-TI's) the Strix's had many good reviews and then when I saw some early ones for the air/oc TI's I knew it was time to take a chance on something different. Not really happy about the price, but only some of the liquid solutions ever give me second thoughts and even then its pretty obvious custom loops are the only way to go for the most extreme numbers. In terms of air, the strix is definitely one of the champs this round along MSI-like you said.

38. bizzmeister

bizzmeister Gawd

Guys, about how far are we from seeing 1180Ti (or whatever the next card will be named) in our hands? A year ?

39. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Or more from what I understand..... No point in releasing new cards unless there is legitimate competition.

The Vega 64 only matches the 1080 at a much higher power draw.

My guess, a year and a half?

40. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge 2[H]4U

Nvidia has legitimate competition- themselves.

And upcoming games, and the various compute markets, none of which are 'satisfied'.

And probably most important? Nvidia competes for their shareholders. They have to produce something faster, or something the same speed but cheaper to produce, in order to keep sales and earnings up. They do both with regularity.

Armenius and lostin3d like this.