GeForce GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 FE Overclocking Review @ [H]

So wait, was the Titan X overclocked? If not, why is it being used for comparison?

You should always compare OC to OC, stock with stock. If you don't, you seem like you have an agenda to push...

So wait, was the Titan X overclocked? If not, why is it being used for comparison?

You should always compare OC to OC, stock with stock. If you don't, you seem like you have an agenda to push...

That's my biggest complaint with [H] reviews, they never do true OC vs OC like European websites do.

Geforce GTX 1080 im Test: Der erste 16-nm-König mit 2 GHz im OC-Betrieb [Test der Woche]

Most of us are enthusiasts here after all and we do overclock our cards and are aware of the silicon lottery. It's easy to just take an average of what most of these card OC to and push it there for comparison's sake. Then those that are a bit higher/lower can make their own adjustments to get an idea of where they stand. The 1070 is definitely slower vs the Titan X OC vs OC because almost every Titan X I've seen (taking values from here and OCN) hits at least 1400 MHz on air with those on better aftermarket cooling (e.g. ACX/Water) doing 1500+. Both of mine do 1520 MHz comfortably.

Last edited:
The Titan X was thrown in for shits and giggles the article is really about 1080 Founders Edition OC vs 1070 Founders Edition OC.

Why? If they bought a Titan X a week before the 1080 came out, then yes. Otherwise, they've been enjoying the benefits of a Titan X (higher settings, resolution, etc.) for more than a year.

I own a titan-x. Don't regret it one bit. First off the benchmarks show a stock titan-x. Titan-x is a very good overclocker especially when under water. So can't really compare to the stock as the graphs say.

Now of course more importantly is I've had a titan-x since March of 2015... That's 1.25 years of gaming. I'm not sure how long people keep their gpus around here but lets say 2-3years. Extrapolate the money per time and you get about $415 (assuming the 3years). So my titan-x has about $600 worth of value left in it before I upgrade. This assumes a linear relationship of value over time. If I think I get more "value" out of the card early on that it would be even less. How much would it take me to replace it? Without the overclocked titan-x benchmarks it's hard to say but if my memory serves me right I got about 25% boost over stock (back when I cared to measure it). So that puts my particular titan-x above the 1070 and I would need to go for a 1080 to see any performance advantages.

Long story short, you can keep waiting and never buy anything because something better will always be out eventually. Titan-x owners who bought early got their money's worth (or atleast I think I did). The ones who bought post 980ti intro were probably a little foolish, but there are benefits to 12gb of ram.. So who knows. Either way I think I'll keep my titan-x till the 1180 or whatever comes out. 1080 while better than titan-x is not leaps and bounds. It's a great GPU for people looking to buy now on previous generations, but I think a lot of people with 980ti or titan-x should just skip this generation entirely. I would hope next gen to be able to do handle 4k on single GPU. With everything current we are still talking about turning up a few more knobs on 1440p. Nothing worth crying over or rushing out to upgrade.

All true. I still love these cards. I'm sure I'll love whatever the Pascal version of them is just as much. :D

That's my biggest complaint with [H] reviews, they never do true OC vs OC like European websites do.

That's the thing: people will argue that "they're comparing value" but really, there's no way to argue out of a fair comparison:

"X card overclocked is 40% faster than Y card"

But how does it compare when you overclock Y card?

"It doesn't matter, its showing you what value the card is!"

But the value of an overclocked card is different to a stock one

"No, it's showing how much value you get when you put the time and effort into overclocking X card"

Not really, because you can put the same time and effort into overclocking Y card as well. The buyer who will overclock X card is likely willing to overclock Y card as well. You're comparing Money + effort to just Money.

"Its really only included for something to compare X card to"

But that is including a flawed comparison. You are showing the speeds an overclocker can get out of X card compared to speeds a overclocker wouldn't get from Y card. The point of comparison is skewed.

I really don't see any justification for it other than "We really didn't want to take the time to OC the comparison card"

That's the thing: people will argue that "they're comparing value" but really, there's no way to argue out of a fair comparison:

"X card overclocked is 40% faster than Y card"

But how does it compare when you overclock Y card?

"It doesn't matter, its showing you what value the card is!"

But the value of an overclocked card is different to a stock one

"No, it's showing how much value you get when you put the time and effort into overclocking X card"

Not really, because you can put the same time and effort into overclocking Y card as well. The buyer who will overclock X card is likely willing to overclock Y card as well. You're comparing Money + effort to just Money.

"Its really only included for something to compare X card to"

But that is including a flawed comparison. You are showing the speeds an overclocker can get out of X card compared to speeds a overclocker wouldn't get from Y card. The point of comparison is skewed.

I really don't see any justification for it other than "We really didn't want to take the time to OC the comparison card"

It's not just [H] but many mainstream sites are guilty of doing this as well. They take a Titan X and compare it to a 1070 and proclaim, "welp, $380 card (which doesn't exist BTW) is better than last years $1000 card" which is disingenuous because a true comparison would be with an aftermarket 980 Ti that costs around the same price as a 1070 or less. They even toss in 1070 OC results to further that agenda. NVIDIA must be doing something right w/it's marketing/benchmarking directives it sends to review sites. I'm glad some of those European sites deviate and deliver what we actually want to see.

Good article but I really wish people would stop comparing these cards to the Titan X.
I know it makes an impression if you say how these cards are better than a $1000 card but let's be real here. The Titan X just isn't a good card. It's a silly showpiece.
The 980Ti is the card these should be compared with, especially when it comes to video games. Sure, it won't be as catchy as mentioning "the $1000 Titan X" but the price/performance comparison will be much more valuable.

And, as mentioned by others in this thread, comparing different GPUs should always happen on equal footing. Standard vs Standard and Overclocked vs Overclocked.

My theory is that Nvidia's review guidelines state that reviewers have to compare these cards to a Titan X in order to falsely inflate their value. [H]ardOCP has been honest with us in the past about what Nvidia and AMD require or 'strongly suggest' reviewers do in order to have the review 'approved' by the vendor.

per Ph.D...."It's a silly showpiece".....hahahahaha

pretty sure my Titan X's have been stomping all over your systems performance since the first day I installed them...just sayin'

besides...it's simple...after you get your 1080's you move your "show pieces" over to your second system...isn't that easy?...I knew you would think so

pretty sure my Titan X's have been stomping all over your systems performance since the first day I installed them...just sayin'

besides...it's simple...after you get your 1080's you move your "show pieces" over to your second system...isn't that easy?...I knew you would think so
Yeah I'm sure you felt really happy with your Titan Xs once the GTX980Ti came out. Money well spent!
Not sure what your other comments are about either. Do you feel some kind of strange need to make PC builds into e-penis contests about wealth and power? I guess that would explain the multiple Titan X cards...
Should I be expecting screenshots of your "battle stations" next?

Last edited:
I am wondering if it is a valid conclusion that, just like 980ti compared to 980, one can reasonably assume that 1080ti would be better perf/$ than 1080 currently is?

Yeah I'm sure you felt really happy with your Titan Xs once the GTX980Ti came out. Money well spent!
Not sure what your other comments are about either. Do you feel some kind of strange need to make PC builds into e-penis contests about wealth and power? I guess that would explain the multiple Titan X cards...

hmmm...you mouth about a card you don't even have...probably don't have a 980ti either...regurgitate some drivel that you read...you wishing you had an e-penis?...instead of an e-vagina...oh well , no pleasing some people , have a great day

780b83627d273e5569ebca9650a1cc07.500x500x1.jpg

True but then there's an OC review of the Titan X on here as well, so extrapolate at will. :)

Bro, you about knocked my vase over with that e-peen you're swinging around.

hmmm...you mouth about a card you don't even have...probably don't have a 980ti either...regurgitate some drivel that you read...you wishing you had an e-penis?...instead of an e-vagina...oh well , no pleasing some people , have a great day
Where can I find one of these so-called e-vaginas? Links to a pic maybe? I want to be on the look out for those. They sound kinda scary but who knows.

If they OC'd the TITAN X - the next thing you guys would complain about is that they didn't use an AIB 980 Ti like the Classified or something because "it's the real big Maxwell overclocker". The goal post will always be moved...everyone with 980 Ti has such a complex. You don't see TITAN X owners in here trying to defend their cards. It's always 980 Ti guys spouting off. Who cares? Why would they waste time OC'ing an old architecture when there are plenty of things they could do with Pascal even beyond the amazing things they've already done?

Are there really people out there right now saying: "hm...should I buy this brand new in box 980 Ti or TITAN X"? No. It's just about 980 Ti guys feeling OK or something. You already KNOW the 980 Ti and TITAN X can hang with 1070/1080. What is the point in seeing it in B&W?

With no awards after the conclusion, I assume that smart money waits until the rest of the AIB cards come out. I have a feeling the guys have other things going on relative but have cuffed hands. These numbers, I predict, will all be laughed at when the rest of the 1070's & 1080's come out and get tested. I think we know what that 'F" stands for in "FE"

Noisy noisy +80% fan speed [else it throttles back] for 'just' 12% speed increase...

there's the NEW overclockers dream right there.

Goes to show that the $100 heatsink looks kind of pretty, but thats about all it does.

Anyone who buys one of these needs their head examined.

If they OC'd the TITAN X - the next thing you guys would complain about is that they didn't use an AIB 980 Ti like the Classified or something because "it's the real big Maxwell overclocker". The goal post will always be moved...everyone with 980 Ti has such a complex. You don't see TITAN X owners in here trying to defend their cards. It's always 980 Ti guys spouting off. Who cares? Why would they waste time OC'ing an old architecture when there are plenty of things they could do with Pascal even beyond the amazing things they've already done?

Are there really people out there right now saying: "hm...should I buy this brand new in box 980 Ti or TITAN X"? No. It's just about 980 Ti guys feeling OK or something. You already KNOW the 980 Ti and TITAN X can hang with 1070/1080. What is the point in seeing it in B&W?
Tech Forums are about comparisons and the conversations that follow. Telling the community that what they want isn't important makes them go elsewhere.
Not that Kyle gives a damn about someone getting their content from another site, but that's generally directed at assholes, not the people that support [H].
We've already seen the comparisons we ask for on other sites, but they're not done to the quality of [H] so that's why the community asks.

What sucks about [H] reviews? Their reviews accomplishes generally single goal requiring multiple reviews over months, and then the user has to look at 2-4 different reviews to determine if it's a good buy. I can't remember the last time they did a video card shootout review with 6+ cards from AMD and Nvidia. We always have to wait for the next review 2-4 weeks later that also will be missing something important.

WCCF is the tech tabloid, but they know how to create conversation. Reviews are about creating conversation and the more you do in a review the more conversations you will have about it, and the more visitors and members you will get.

Goes to show that the $100 heatsink looks kind of pretty, but thats about all it does.

Anyone who buys one of these needs their head examined.

To be fair some people buying a FE will just be getting a waterblock for it anyway and for those people the cost really doesn't matter, but I agree it seems like the non-FE coolers will be better and $100 cheaper if you just have a bit of patience.

Hmm, question, when will be Nvidia launching Pascal flagships 1080 TI or TitanX, this summer or next year?

Thanks [H] for doing this comparison.

The advantage of an oced 1080 seen in this review is enough to convince me to spend extra on custom cards with high clock speed/ good cooler. I hope to be able to sustain a stable 2GHz.

Hmm, question, when will be Nvidia launching Pascal flagships 1080 TI or TitanX, this summer or next year?
With AMD focusing on the sub $300 market, nvidia is in no rush for a faster card at least until Vega comes out. We'll probably see a Quadro P102 before a Geforce version.

The 1080 @ $620 is a much better deal than a current 1070 at the lowest MSRP over $400. At least for the performance. 24% is 24%.

The problem is people are price gouging right now. It won't make sense until they become truly available.

To be fair some people buying a FE will just be getting a waterblock for it anyway and for those people the cost really doesn't matter, but I agree it seems like the non-FE coolers will be better and $100 cheaper if you just have a bit of patience.
So people are paying an extra $100 bucks just to spend again an extra $100 bucks for a water block?

So people are paying an extra $100 bucks just to spend again an extra $100 bucks for a water block?

yes.

I did it for two 1080FE's in sli and I'm thoroughly enjoying playing witcher 3 at 4k max settings 80+fps.

I spent a lot but this level of SILENT (except for some damn coil whine - need to replace one card) gaming is worth it to me.

Last edited:

When you are already spending $700 (or $1400 for SLI) an extra $100 doesn't matter that much to some people. They just want the fastest cards and best gaming experience available. Clearly I am not one of those people (with my Sandy Bridge and 970), but I do understand it. If they can afford it then why not? I'd be doing the same thing if I could reasonably afford it. I don't see how it's any different than people spending hundreds/thousands on car tuning, guitar gear, high-end home theater systems, etc.

The 1070 FE actually makes less sense to me, because people buying that obviously DON'T have unlimited money to spend or they'd be buying a 1080. So why not just wait a month or two?

Really impressed (and a bit confused) how the 1070 is getting so close to 1080 stock considering it has >20% less shaders and notably slower memory. As the review states, definitely makes the 1080 looked overpriced, but I suppose nV is charging a premium here.

I guess this also bodes well for a further cut-down Pascal e.g. 1060.

I think the most important lesson with this article is that if you have one of these new cards the gaming experience will decrease if you overclock.
The difference in visual gains is negligible compared to the huge impact on audible noise.

I think the most important lesson with this article is that if you have one of these new cards the gaming experience will decrease if you overclock.
The difference in visual gains is negligible compared to the huge impact on audible noise.
Time to adopt gaming with headphones! When I switched to full closed headphones while gaming, I adjusted the fan profile on my 980 to hit 100% at 70C. It let me ramp up my OC and I honestly never notice the extra fan noise with the headphones on.

I don't have much cash and just bought a Titan, not a Titan X running at 1106 for $250.00. Not even up to a 1070 but real close and $200.00 bucks cheaper.
I am just going to dump my 280X for $mall bucks and should be able to be happy for a year until the 1070s come down in price. Damn! Nvidia really hit it out of the park.

Great review! I am really happy with the 1080 FE after a little bit of remorse that I didn't hold out for a Gigabyte Xtreme. I was a little worried about fan noise, and I can hear it, but it's not bugging me like even the ACX 2.0 fans were.

edit: about 2 weeks and change on the 1080 FE and still extremely happy with it. From all the reviews and posts here it seems these run about as well as the AIB versions with larger power delivery baked into the PCB. I don't mind the fan noise at all. I am gaming between 2000 and 2088 on the core and 5454 on the memory and haven't had a single hiccup. I have had my core as high as 2101 and zero issues other than eventual throttle back at 50c.

Last edited:
Back