GeForce GT-720?

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
Alright - so I have a couple of boxes that were given to me:

1. HP/Compaq - Athlon X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, Stock PSU, Windows XP
2. Dell - Pentium Dual Core (from the Core 2 era), 2GB RAM, Corsair 430 watt PSU (spare I threw in there - the original PSU was dead) and Windows XP

I'm considering throwing a couple of GT-720's in there. But can I (should I) do better? I know the CPU's will be severe bottlenecks (especially that Athlon). I was also thinking about hitting up the FS/FT, but really - I don't want to spend more than $40 on video cards for both of these machines - $50 tops. What GPU should I look for to put in these computers?

The games we're all looking to play are old, and aren't difficult to run. Medal of Honor - Allied Assault, UT-2004, etc. I think the most demanding game is going to be Battlefield 2.

I just need something that has more punch than integrated, which on the Dell especially, is putrid. The Athlon system is definitely going to need something that doesn't need a power connector for sure, while the Dell's Corsair PSU should allow more headroom. But I'm not sure which cards would be the best for my usage. Any help would be very appreciated.

For $40 I would be looking at some good older cards. You can probably find a nice GTX 460 or similar for that. The GT 720 is a waste of money for gaming imho, that 64 bit memory interface will be paralyzing. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-720/specifications

I agree with you. Only problem is that my Athlon system cannot support that video card without a beefier power supply. So I'd probably get a GTX-460 for the Dell and get something else for the Athlon.

Aren't 550ti's supposed to be good on power?

An HD7570 would be a nice pick for your Athlon system, OP. It requires no extra power connectors, consumes all its power off the PCI-E bus (~70w max), and performs quite well. They go for about $50 on Ebay. The R7 250/250x are the newer rebadged analogues and they can also be found on cheaply.

Edit: The R7 240 is also a viable option with no need for extra power connectors.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
An HD7570 would be a nice pick for your Athlon system, OP. It requires no extra power connectors, consumes all its power off the PCI-E bus (~70w max), and performs quite well. They go for about $50 on Ebay. The R7 250/250x are the newer rebadged analogues and they can also be found on cheaply.

Edit: The R7 240 is also a viable option with no need for extra power connectors.

Thanks for your help. I ended up ordering that Radeon card for the Athlon system. I'm know it's probably overkill, but I like the lower power draw. I had a Radeon HD-7750, and its low power was pretty nice. This should do very well for our LAN parties. I'll probably scour the FS/FT later for a GTX-460 or something of the like. :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back