GeForce 8800 GT Mega Heatsink Roundup @ [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Marc or Kyle,

In your next round-up, please take all of the coolers in the top 9 coolers list in my thread into consideration:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1249876

Since Gigabyte V-Power and others are still on sale across the US, it would be helpful to know compatibility and performance with 8800GT and HD 3870 cards in particular. If [H]ardOCP could do this, then we would all worship [H]ard! :D

As is the case with all Zalman heat sinks you get a bunch of accessories with extras should you lose any down the road. Ram sinks, screws, fan controller and instructions. It's all there. Even a little tube of thermal paste though I know readers of the [H] would never use it. Right??

Hey I like the zalman thermal paste! :p
It's pretty close to arctic silver, and it actually cleans up really easy even when cold. Although I suppose the small tube included here might not be the same as the vial of ZM-STG1 that came with my CNPS9700LED.

Hey I like the zalman thermal paste! :p
It's pretty close to arctic silver, and it actually cleans up really easy even when cold. Although I suppose the small tube included here might not be the same as the vial of ZM-STG1 that came with my CNPS9700LED.

Hey, there was a review showing that Thermalright's own paste did a few degrees better than Arctic Silver 5, believe it or not!!! :eek: I cant remember which review it was but wouldn't be surprised if you could find more sources saying that.

The ac turbo module is not part of the ac-s1 tho really.

I thought it was part of the S1 when you spend an extra $8 to get it.

Much like the 120mm fan is a part of it when you spend $4 and some zipties.

" This is a very quiet office where a simple pin drop can be heard."

:rolleyes:

FYI ~38dBA is dead silent in most homes, you have to go a long way to get anywhere near 30dBA levels without building yourself a soundproof booth...

FYI ~38dBA is dead silent in most homes, you have to go a long way to get anywhere near 30dBA levels without building yourself a soundproof booth...

38db! my house is so much quiter then that.

gibber: I don't think you realize the hard work that these guys are putting into reviewing products for you. Try to be more understanding about what went down as obviously [H] would have included the cooler if AC had said to them that it was compatible with the 8800GT.

These guys do a MUCH better job than most reviewing sites, and take pride in their hard work and hours upon hours of not only using the products but going into extremely deep detail about them.

I ask as a fellow reader of this website and these forums, that you at least try to respect the job they are doing a little more.

gibber: I don't think you realize the hard work that these guys are putting into reviewing products for you. Try to be more understanding about what went down as obviously [H] would have included the cooler if AC had said to them that it was compatible with the 8800GT.

These guys do a MUCH better job than most reviewing sites, and take pride in their hard work and hours upon hours of not only using the products but going into extremely deep detail about them.

I ask as a fellow reader of this website and these forums, that you at least try to respect the job they are doing a little more.

exactly

Thermalright builds great products. I've used them in the past, in the present and will almost certainly use them again. What is more important is that when their product does need a revision, they don't screw around, they get it done.

That thermalright heatsink takes up an insane amount of slots with a fan. Makes SLI + soundcard impossible :(

I've been thinking about this for a little while and, depending on the slot configuration of a given motherboard, it might be possible if a 120mm was mounted across the edge of the heatsinks instead of on the face. Well, if the clearance between the cooler and the case's side panel is there, that is....

I ask as a fellow reader of this website and these forums, that you at least try to respect the job they are doing...

Why would I bother to comment on the article if I didn't?:rolleyes:

I don't know about you, but testing computer parts is not "hard work" compared to my job, even so, I do appreciate the effort they put in, and I wasn't asking just for me, I think most people considering an after market cooler for their 8800GT should be informed about how the S1 compares before making a decision, unless they can simply afford to buy as many different ones as they feel like for the fun of trying them out, in which case, they wouldn't really need the review in the first place.

i guess there aren't any dual slot coolers available?

The Accelero S1 is dual slot. Comes with a blank plate that has vent holes. You install the plate in the slot that the S1 blocks. If your case has good front intake fans, hot air will be exhausted through this plate just like the 8800GTS / GTX / Ultra.

The Accelero S1 is dual slot. Comes with a blank plate that has vent holes. You install the plate in the slot that the S1 blocks. If your case has good front intake fans, hot air will be exhausted through this plate just like the 8800GTS / GTX / Ultra.

I think he meant dual slot coolers like the NV silencer 5 Rev. 3 ;)

thanks for proving me correct
You'll have to explain because you're not making any sense.

Oh ~ that gives me an idea - depending on how it stacks up in the follow-up review, I'll get one and make my own shroud out of aluminum foil and tape to direct the hot air out the back :D

Hmm, on further thought, perhaps a 2" pipe going up to a hole in the top of the case to act as a chimney would be even better...:eek:

You'll have to explain because you're not making any sense.

Dude, I am sorry for being disrespectful, but your not a rock are you, because you seem to be as dumb as one... CopyCat said, "I don't think you realize the hard work that these guys are putting into reviewing products for you." And then right after you say, "I don't know about you, but testing computer parts is not "hard work" compared to my job, even so, I do appreciate the effort they put in." Um if you did not actually do the work that those guys did into preparing the article, how can you actually compare the difficulty of their work to yours? I mean for all we know, they spend hundreds of many hours putting the article together. Yeah they could have 10 hours as well. But we dont know that do we?

Yet you seem to know that their work is not "hard work" compared to yours... Come on dude, difficulty is all relative and comparing ones work with another is just plain dumb. Yeah it might have been "better" if they added the Accelero S1 into their review but they didn't. It doesn't matter why they didn't add it, the only thing that does matter is the fact that they said (I think) they will do a follow up including the Accelero S1.

I am so sorry for being mean, but if you can't realize the fact that saying your work is "harder" then another is just plain ignorant, then iono what to say. Difficulty is all relative...

I'm sure it has been mentioned before but it's nVidia did such a pathetic job with 8800gt cooler that [H]ard had to do a "round-up" of aftermarket coolers for it.

Dude, I am sorry for being disrespectful, but your not a rock are you, because you seem to be as dumb as one... CopyCat said, "I don't think you realize the hard work that these guys are putting into reviewing products for you." And then right after you say, "I don't know about you, but testing computer parts is not "hard work" compared to my job, even so, I do appreciate the effort they put in." Um if you did not actually do the work that those guys did into preparing the article, how can you actually compare the difficulty of their work to yours? I mean for all we know, they spend hundreds of many hours putting the article together. Yeah they could have 10 hours as well. But we dont know that do we?

Yet you seem to know that their work is not "hard work" compared to yours... Come on dude, difficulty is all relative and comparing ones work with another is just plain dumb. Yeah it might have been "better" if they added the Accelero S1 into their review but they didn't. It doesn't matter why they didn't add it, the only thing that does matter is the fact that they said (I think) they will do a follow up including the Accelero S1.

I am so sorry for being mean, but if you can't realize the fact that saying your work is "harder" then another is just plain ignorant, then iono what to say. Difficulty is all relative...
I've done PC tech work since the mid 1980's, been building my own PCs since my 486, and spent a lot of time trying out different computer parts, the dumbest thing is that I didn't think of starting a tech website myself 10 years ago then I could play with tech gear and games as my job too.

If you don't realize that people that do computer hardware review websites LOVE playing with computer parts and testing them, then you calling me dumb is the funniest ironic thing I've read in months.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your constructive and helpful post! Looking forward to more constructive criticism from your next posts.[/sarcasm]

I've done PC tech work since the mid 1980's, been building my own PCs since my 486, and spent a lot of time trying out different computer parts, the dumbest thing is that I didn't think of starting a tech website myself 10 years ago then I could play with tech gear and games as my job too.

If you don't realize that people that do computer hardware review websites LOVE playing with computer parts and testing them, then you calling me dumb is the funniest ironic thing I've read in months.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your constructive and helpful post! Looking forward to more constructive criticism from your next posts.[/sarcasm]

The testers on this websites may love their work but it doesn't make their job significantly easier or harder. My issue with you is that you dont seem to appreciate the work they put into making that article. I mean the fact that you blandly say that "testing computer parts is not "hard work" compared to my job" shows that have no appreciation for their work. You may say you do, but such a remark would lean one to think otherwise. The fact that you need help to understand what Copycat said ("thanks for proving me correct") shows that you see no error in your response which is very disturbing.

I am an idiot at computers and I can tell you that guide helped me out ALOT so I may have a slight basis for them but the fact remains that whether they put alot of work into or not is not something that you or I can measure. The only thing that should matter is that they put out a comprehensive guide that is intended to help people. And they also state they will include testing of the Accelero S1 and revise their article a little.

Iono what your work is nor do i need to know to say that your work may be hard for others yet it may be easy for others. In the end it doesn't matter because you will do your work and the people here will do theres.

1. 1. As stated at least a half dozen times, they didn't test that cooler, because they were specifically told it was incompatible. When a company tells you their product won't work with the product you're testing, it's generally a waste of time to test it.

2. 2. Just because you love something doesn't mean it's hard work. I'm sure Warren Buffet loves his job (if he didn't, he'd have retired several billion dollars ago), but I'm equally sure he works hard. In fact, because they love what they do, they likely work even harder.
Bottom line is if you think it's easy, start a web site. If your reviews are in the same league as those on top sites, you'll make tons of money doing what you love. It's not like we only come to HardOCP. I do lots of searches every time I'm ready to upgrade one thing or another. I didn't really read [H] until 2 upgrades ago in early 2005.

And if it's easy, then all it'll cost you is a bit of money for bandwidth....or you could just start it as a blog on one of the free blog sites. Personally, I'd think that OCing a gazillion CPUs is pretty time consuming...but then I'm not that good at OCing.

They should at least read their own forums. People were reporting here before they did the article that they had Accelero S1s on their 8800GTs and that they were perfectly compatible

They should at least read their own forums. People were reporting here before they did the article that they had Accelero S1s on their 8800GTs and that they were perfectly compatible

What date did posts first state it was compatible? What day did they start work on this article?

My guess is that the date of the former is after the date of the latter, but that's only because I tend to think the editors of this site have integrity, even when I don't always with a review or an editorial decision.

What date did posts first state it was compatible? What day did they start work on this article?

11-01 is when someone strapped on a S1 on a 8800GT.
10-29 people mention the 8800GT using the same mounting holes as series 7.

Kyle said they started the article the first week of November.

Nice review, I'd also like to see MAX Overclock. Sure the temps are very low but, as the recent 8800 GT overclocking article stated, there may be a serious limit that (other than noise) defeats the need for these aftermarket coolers.

Nice review, I'd also like to see MAX Overclock. Sure the temps are very low but, as the recent 8800 GT overclocking article stated, there may be a serious limit that (other than noise) defeats the need for these aftermarket coolers.

What u mean? Limit other than noise? I dont understand.. you mean voltage or the severely limited memory bandwidth?

Well, now it's been almost two full months since someone posted on the [H]ard forum about the outstanding results they got putting an S1 on their 8800GT. I wonder how it compares to other coolers? :p

What u mean? Limit other than noise? I dont understand.. you mean voltage or the severely limited memory bandwidth?

I'll rephrase.

These aftermarket coolers are pointless (other then overall heat/sound reduction of your system) if there is no performance benefit, meaning if they cannot overclock more than with the stock coolers, or enough more to make it worth while.

Quote from [H] 8800 GT Overclocking Article

From what we can gather, it seems the GeForce 8800 GT reaches a brick wall at around 700 MHz on the GPU with stock cooling. The only video card to greatly benefit from pushing the fan up to full-speed was the EVGA 8800 GT SSC, but it wasn’t an earth shattering improvement considering the fan at full-speed shaved off about 20 degrees of heat. This leaves us wondering whether the architecture is already pushed to it limits or if we need more power and much better cooling in order to achieve even higher overclocks

I want to know the answer to that before I buy one of these for my 8800 GT.

thanks for proving me correct
Oh give it a rest. We all enjoy hardware reviews or we wouldn't be here, but just because someone suggests another cooler doesn't mean they hate the site, disrespect Kyle, etc. And chances are he does have a tougher job. You could put hundreds of hours into benchmarking, but it's still not as physically demanding or dangerous as tons of other jobs. We don't all work in the IT department.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the S1 numbers because I don't plan on spending 50+ bucks to cool my card so it could be a nice, cheap alternative to the other coolers.

I installed S1 yesterday with RAM heatsinks. but couldnt install Volt heatsink. its not fit.
Do I need to attach that? or its not necessary?
I havent check the temps yet. I need to reinstall Vista x64(upgrade to 4gb ram^^)
I should be able to check temps tonight or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back