GeForce 7900 Inferno – Burn Baby Burn @ [H]

Nice.. Well, let's hope XFX looks at what eVGA is doing, with their hardware fixes, and does something similar..

Just gotta say kudos to HOCP for stepping up to the plate. Seriously hope you guys get your cards sorted out, as this is bordering on farce (as it seems is every issue in the graphics component world).

Can't wait till the truth behind this situation is finally known. Not being able to run a card at stock is especially offensive to the oc'ers of the world, and given the high-end nature of the componentry this is exactly who's been hit....

ElMoIsEviL said:
Mmm kay what about use ATi x1900 users who've replaced the stock cooler with a Zalman VGA cooler or in my case a waterblock?

We're still not experiencing issues.

I'm not quite sure what your point is. You're comparing a different manufacturer and a different video card with after market heat sinks to a 7900GT with stock heatsinks that has lockup/artifacting problems. I also have an ATI 9800pro on an older machine that has no lockup/artifacting problems playing F.E.A.R. It doesn't do me any good to compare the two since one doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Now if you said that your replaced your 7900GT heat sink with a Zalman or waterblock and the problems weren't alleviated, then I'd want to see further tests to narrow down the problem. As it is, 7900GT users experiencing lockups can do a completely empirical test on their cards to determine if: A. residue from flux washing, sweat, or body oils is causing artifacting, instabilities, or lockups; and B. if overheating is causing lockups.

For those who just want their cards to work and who would rather RMA than fiddle about, I completely understand. Ignore my posts and go get your RMA's. For those of you who, like me, don't want any downtime, don't want to wait for an RMA, want your cards to overclock, and who are willing to try a few simple actions, the methods I outlined earlier work well, and apparently solve quite a few instability issues with large overclocks.

- kbj

I'm impressed with the OCP for the article and having the cajones to speak up about this when it seems like some of the other enthusiast sites out there are turning a blind ear. It's nice to have someone stand up for the end user for a change and I certainly thank Kyle for drawing attention to these issues.

These issues aren't 'normal'. They are not imagined either, they are REAL and have affected a lot of us. Many of us can't afford to just go out and spend another $350 to replace the defective cards.

And you know I'm not even sure that the issue affects only the cards the board partners are shipping overclocked. It seems like a lot of vanilla 7900GT users are experiencing the same symptoms and failure of the card, just at a decreased rate.

Kyle, you mentioned that these boards are actually manufactiured by a company called FlexTronics, and that the AIBs just ass their coolers and BIOS modifications to them before shipping. I wonder if there could have actually been a problem with the first runs of the boards?

I did notice that the replacement 7900GT I recieved from eVGA had a different PCB revision (shown at the top of the card, front side). My original card was PCB v. A00 and this replacement is a v.A01.

And my rig just finished up a 100 cycle run of 3DMark 06's "Deep Freeze" test. No problems so far... beeeeautiful!

I need to hurry up and put my VF900Cu on it though, the KO cooler is pretty loud. Still not as loud as the cooler on my original card but loud enough. :)

I'll chime in here a little....I am using an Abit AN8 board and an XFX 7900GT that came clocked at 470-1370 core/mem....

Right now I have used the "auto detect" overclock speeds which gives me 517-1558, and thus far it has been rock solid in RTHDRIBL, Far Cry, Doom3, COD2. 4x AA on everything so far...no artifacting, nothing. Now if it can last like this I will be one happy camper. I wonder how to tell if I got a "fixed" card, it just came in today....

And man, I do not find the stock cooler loud, AT ALL....it's very quiet? Temps have not broken 74c at any point or in any game, and using full screen RTHDRIBL, it is sitting at 69c for the last 20 mins....

So much for over night shipping, the fukers sent it ground.......June 5 wtf
the guy told me overngiht and now of course its a holiday. ............ :rolleyes:

Mine work, but I haven't really played games....will post back when I have info. I have stock eVGA EGS cards, so these in theroy should be less likely to die. I have also installed RivaTuner and cranked the fans to 100% no matter what instead of 25%.

I was getting pretty angsty about taking delivery of my eVGA 7900GT KO next week...but spending the evening scouring the intarwebnet for reviews has made me feel better. There aren't a huge number of reviews out there but they cover a wide range of cards..eVGA, BFG, Gigabyte, XFX, Asus and none of the reviewers had problems with their cards. Most all of them used 3DMark 06 which seems to cause trouble...and one reviewer even stated he played several hours of Oblivion using fairly high settings without issue. I'm crossing my fingers that my card will be the new revision.. :)

I got my first card late april (eVGA 7900 GT CO) for 315 @ ZZF. A few days later, the card started to artifact, my 2nd monitor signal would spaz out and I would have to restart, and other various things that led me to RMA the card via ZZF. I got my card 2 days ago, and updated the bios to 5.71.22.14.9 and this thing is running like a beast @ 600/900 artifact free! All on stock volts! I guess this was a lucky card. Now hopefully itll last. Ive done ati tool for 45 min (almost reaching an hour), 3dmark 05 and 06 twice, and q4 for about 1/2 hour and no artifacts at all. My max temp is 39C while idle is 32C. Hopefully eVGA fixed their QC and better cards are now shipping out. If this card lasts, seems they have already done it.

Well I've been stressing the hell out of my replacement card all weekend, trying to root out any weaknesses as far as the artifacting/crashing issues. She's run solid as a rock sofar so I'm hopeful the issues have been fixed with these new cards.

Something else I noticed right away but forgot to put in my eaelier posts concerning the replacement:

When I got the original card back at the beginning of May, one of the first things I did was the coolbits "Detect Optimal Frequencies". To my amazement and dissapointment, it quite literally detected NO overclocking room. It would always detect a core and memory frequency just a few mhz above stock (550/1580). I thought this was kind of odd right off because no matter what I'd expect to see a LITTLE room, even on a factory overclocked card.

With the replacement card I recieved Friday coolbits does it's normal thing where the 'testing' window comes up and goes through ~2 passes of the green progress bar. The max overclock it detects is usually around 570/840 which may or may not reflect it's true overclocking potential. After all the trouble the first faulty 7900GT gave me I think I'll leave this one at the original superclocked speeds. :)

Hammerhead666 said:
Why didn't you go with a card designed for 3d apps like a quattro?

Well the Quadro is almost three times more expensive and in my 3d app--> Maya there is no huge performance difference. Most Maya users buy gaming card for bang for the $.

Nice article. I am still having a hard time believing this whole thing - kept thinking it was just one of those net hysteria things - with all kinds of noobies having phantom problems. Hope it gets worked out, as could be a real disaster for the companies involved.

Telemecus said:
Hi; Find any program ie: Si Soft Sandra that has a burnin module,and let'r fly..
WARNING!!! Burnin's DO overstress the whole machine..
You have been WARNED..G'luck & have phun.......:)

Why what could it do? Is it more tough on the system than doing a 3d rendering 24/7? I have a 1KW PSU. Can something get fried as a result of using burn in app?
Important-
Btw can I contact EVGA and tell them to send me a tested replacement as I don't want to risk messing around with a dodgy card?

Nice article. I am still having a hard time believing this whole thing - kept thinking it was just one of those net hysteria things - with all kinds of noobies having phantom problems. Hope it gets worked out, as could be a real disaster for the companies involved.
That's the thing - it's not a case of net hysteria..I could agree with you, say given a hypothical n00b buying a gt b/c of some magazine article, and/or people RMAing for RMA's sake..But the fact remains that there have been way too many of us being affected with the various issues with our cards to be a phantom problem.

Look at it another way, the average user here on the [H] tends to have a good grasp of proper PC usage/troubleshooting/etc..IE: proper airflow/cooling, adequate power, knowledge of self-troubleshooting problems, and so-on..Yet alot of us here on the [H] forums alone have noted problems even on cards @ stock and/or never been o/c'd (more than out of box specs/even while underclocking).. And with eVGA sending out new hardware revisions (with cross-shipping - something they normally don't do), it's just another nail in the coffin.

I feel kind of sorry for eVGA and the other board partners in all this though..While alot of the problems have certainly affected the o/c cards, they're NOT the only ones having problems...NVIDIA has to share some of the blame - shame on them for shifting ALL the blame to the partners - they full well know that eVGA et al are selling pre-o/c cards, and afaik bin cores for them (+profit for NV).. If there's really an issue with them doing this (pre-o/c's) how about going back to the old days of ALL cards being reference speeds, and leave o/cs up to the consumer? Perhaps Flextronics (?) as the OEM as well, if as some suggested that some of the problems may be with the flux residue left on the boards - I'm not sure I buy this though.

[edit] @ Mutant - that's what eVGAs doing..
http://www.evga.com/7900.asp - fill that out, they will e-mail you a CC authorization .PDF for cross-shipment..You send it back, and they either email or call - you can ask them to pre-test with your choice of apps (ie 3dPenis 06/Oblivion/etc) before shipment (or they may be doing this automatically anyway). Then you send in your old card..Probably give you 2-4 weeks, so you could certainly test the new one before sending in the old one. Personally, I'm seeing if they will also do a 'regular' RMA (ie: I send in my busted card first - 2-3 days downtime no big deal to me), as I've got issues on my end (read: doubt I've got ~$320 in my 'net transaction debit/checking account to cover this atm). That reminds me - off to check my e-mail see if Jacob replied yet.

[edit again] Got reply from Jacob Freeman. Seems I can do the standard cross-ship no problem, he said they DON'T charge the card unless they don't recieve the old card in return..So as long as you have a CC/debit # to give them, you should be golden for cross ship.

I put my XFX 7900GT through hell last night, we played Far Cry, UT2004, COD2, and Q3A, from 6pm last night till 3am this morning...I ran the card at 535-1820 all night long (stock is 470-1370), not a single artifact, hiccup, or glitch. Used RivaTuner to track temps and clock speeds, never saw a weird hitch in the graphs nor any sign of throttling. The room was hot as hell too since there was 16 computers in there running full load! Never saw it break 74c, most times it was barely 71c with the stock cooling. Here at home with better AC it never goes over 65c.

I hope I got one of the "fixed" cards, whatever that means. So far so good. I am not going to overclock any further at this point until it is a couple months old, then I will add a better cooler and do the volt mod.

I can't speak for XFX owners, but (hopefully) fixed eVGA cards are easily identifiable as shown by the pics posted by Blue Falcon (?) a page back - although since the cards all come from the one OEM pretty much it may be the same all around. I have yet to see talk of any of the other board partners going as far as eVGA in killing the dead card issue (yet) - I hope for the sake of all the XFX/BFG/etc owners out there that they have just been quiet on the fixing issues, and not (as seems to be atm) ignoring the problem.

I have one of the XFX 7900 GT Extreme Editions with the factory overclock and was experienceing the same problems with artifacting in certain games such as Oblivion. I originally thought it was a heat issue since I live in San Diego but after some testing it didn't seem like that was the case. Just for the heck of it I unplugged the card from the 4 pronged power supply plug and decided to try using the supplied 2 pronged dongle adapter thing instead and I haven't had any problems since (sorry about the none technical terms). Anyways, I doubt it's the solution and maybe it's already been suggested (I haven't gone through the whole thread) but I figured I would chime in here since it seemed to work for me.

I'm stepping up my current eVGA 7600GT to one of the new 7900GT KOs via EVGAs Step-Up program. I'm number 5 in the queue right now, so I imagine within a week or so, I'll be get my email telling me to send my receipt infor, and then ship the old card in. I'll post back when I get the new card.

kush said:
[edit] @ Mutant - that's what eVGAs doing..
http://www.evga.com/7900.asp - fill that out, they will e-mail you a CC authorization .PDF for cross-shipment..You send it back, and they either email or call - you can ask them to pre-test with your choice of apps (ie 3dPenis 06/Oblivion/etc) before shipment (or they may be doing this automatically anyway). Then you send in your old card..Probably give you 2-4 weeks, so you could certainly test the new one before sending in the old one.

Thanks man. I filled the serial number of my EVGA 7900GTX SC card...they ask for "system details" which I filled in but what should I write in the "problem" section?...as I have not installed the card yet? Should I just say that I don't want to have to deal with problems so just send me a tested card?
What I don't understand is--> who pays for the shipping? That will cost a ton? I am in Europe. I guess they send it from Germany or something...still do I have to pay for the postage to first recieve the new card and then second to send the old card?
If I understand correct then they will take my credit card details to make sure that I don't run away with two 7900GTX SC cards...right? :confused:

Jesus! I filled the form and it says "serial number" not found! WTF! I copied it exactly as it is listed on the rectangle stuck to the back of the card. The rectangle with X shaped cuts so people can't lift the sticker in one piece. I copied the S/N: XXXXXX...
What do I do now? Could be that I need to enter the European EVGA website.
EDIT- Ok looks like I need to register that card first :-P

This may be a stupid question, but did you register the card first? There's another section on evga's site where you can register your cards.

mutant said:
Jesus! I filled the form and it says "serial number" not found! WTF! I copied it exactly as it is listed on the rectangle stuck to the back of the card. The rectangle with X shaped cuts so people can't lift the sticker in one piece. I copied the S/N: XXXXXX...
What do I do now? Could be that I need to enter the European EVGA website.

Have you registered your card with eVGA first?

Original Asus 7900GT worked fine for 5/6 days of heavy duty fear playing... then began the random lock-ups and the bizarre flashing desk top.

Company agreed to replace with a BFG... arrived with a capacitor floating about in the box, so off it went...

Replaced with another Asus EN7900GT, this one lasted 3 days before artifacting, and screen flashing (returned that one to the computer [UK] show yesterday).

Have a well-cooled case and GPU temps never got above 61 degrees. System was rock solid with a 6600 card, not one lock-up or artifact over many weeks playing, have tried a number of different drivers too.

Seems that if you really want to stress you video card, 2 or 3 hours of FEAR maxed out will do it!

It appears that once artifacts/lockc start (even at stock speeds) the damage is done, and downclocking makes no difference. My reading is that the voltage regulators are not up to the job, we'll have to wait and see.

So my question is what do I get instead? 2 x 7600 in SLI, an X1900XT ? What do you think - I really don't want to spend shedloads more. Suggestions welcome.

Dave (noobe)

Well I've received a response from Daily Tech.

The response:
Hi,

I’ve added it to our queue.

Kristopher Kubicki

Editor In Chief, DailyTech.com

email: [email protected]

So we should see it pop up today on the Daily Tech (Anandtech).

So my question is what do I get instead? 2 x 7600 in SLI, an X1900XT ? What do you think - I really don't want to spend shedloads more. Suggestions welcome.
x1900XT would probably be your best bet. Plus it generally costs less then a 7900GTX.

I got a XFX 7900GT oc'd from xfx to 520/750 i run it often at 580/850 no problem. It starts to artifact at 600/900. I never play any games with it at higher than 580/880 and even than it sits at a nice 50c.
I would to see a list on what cards are having the most problems. It seems like most of the XFX owners got lucky with this one.

mthree984 said:
I got a XFX 7900GT oc'd from xfx to 520/750 i run it often at 580/850 no problem. It starts to artifact at 600/900. I never play any games with it at higher than 580/880 and even than it sits at a nice 50c.
I would to see a list on what cards are having the most problems. It seems like most of the XFX owners got lucky with this one.

XFX are the second worst hit cards... :p

1 eVGA
2 XFX
3 BFG

My eVGA card lasted 4 days - I ran loads of tests and underclocked lots of items to see if I could nail down a problem or 2....Underclocking my CPU/PCI-e buss made no difference...Underclocking the 7900gt to 500/700, reboot, then clocking back to default (580/790), reboot was a no go, but underclocking, roboot, default clocking with AA/AF set higher than OFF got the card stable again....for a while :p

Hopefully eVGA will have some light to shed on this for me tomorrow, or it's back to NewEgg for a refund and a serious look at X1900XT's

excelguy said:
It appears that once artifacts/lockc start (even at stock speeds) the damage is done, and downclocking makes no difference.

That may be too presumptive a statement to make.

I got my EVGA 7900gt KO Superclock (n567) last Wednesday; by Friday noon it was artifacting in Oblivion and freezing on exit. I installed Coolbits and downclocked all the way to 300 core / 400 memory (from the factory it was 580 / 790). 'Apply these settings at startup' is checked and I've just left it that way. I've been playing Oblivion with most of the settings still maxed ever since and the artifacts and instability have not returned yet. So downclocking is making a difference for me so far.. I just don't want to do it when I paid the big bucks for premium speeds (my 7900gt Problem Report is filled out and waiting for when the evga guys get back tomorrow morning).

My card is seeing 56-58c idle though, and this is with the new bigger evga cooler in place.

I'm glad that I didn't buy one of the 7900 series cards. I have a 7800 GTX and did consider buying a 7900 GTX until I started reading about all the problems people are having.

I'm currently considering buying a new mobo that is Conroe compatible and SLI capable and a 7950 GX2.

David_L6 said:
I'm glad that I didn't buy one of the 7900 series cards.
I'm glad I did buy a 7900GT. It really rocks. :D Plus it was only a $25 upgrade from my old 7800GT after I sold it.

I am currently running 2 7900GTs in SLI. Only problem has been with HDR enabled in Oblivion (lots of diagonal shearing), but after installing coolbits and slightly overclocking the mem and core frequencies (505 up from 500, 755 up from 750) problem solved. I have run 3dMark06 a number of times and no problems either before or after adjusting the freq. Hope someone finds this information useful. Thanks to [H] for addressing the issue.

Holy crap you can sure tell that they've overvolted the cores on the new 'fixed' 7900GT cards.

On my original card I had slapped a Zalman VF900CU and used the Fan-Mate II to run the fan on it's lowest speed. I recorded an idle temperature of 37-38C idle and 47-48C load.

With this new replacement card from eVGA with the same Zalman VF900Cu running the same Fan-Mate II on the same setting, I get an idle temperature of 37-38C idle and.... 62-63C LOAD. :eek:

I had already measured the core voltage of this new card to be 1.45v. That's a pretty big jump from the 1.2v on the original 7900GT.

So I'm starting to think that maybe nVidia and the board partners figured out that these G71 cores just don't run well at 1.2v especially when you figure "factory overclocking" into effect. (Although to be honest I've seen lots of 'stock' 7900GTs die in the same fashion.) Perhaps all of the additional components added to these replacement cards are there purely to raise the core to 1.45v in 3D mode. *shrug*

The replacement card is still kickin' ass by the way, and I'm a happy guy. :D

For starters, I think it's great there is a good deal of the G71 card owners who aren't experincing any issue or stability problems; as listed in this very well written and researched article along with countless other forums I have stumbled across over the past few days.

However, this 'issue', if you want to call it that (it's more of a defect), is certainly not limited to the vendor or user overclocked editions. I waitied for months to find a place to purchase a Gainward 7900. Intially, I was holding out for a 'Goes like Hell' edition, but after my order at Overclockers.uk.com was on hold for over a month they pulled that card off their site and promptly, but without notification as to the reasons of the switch, shipped a refrence Gainward 7900 GTX. I recived that card on Friday, May 26th.

Over the weekend the card has used 3 different drivers and has been tested with benchmarks, 3D Apps, Video, Photo-editing and games; the probelms continued get worse and worse. I've experinced pixel dis-coloration, lock ups, flashing lock-ups, freezes, BSOD's, you name it. I even took the side panel off my TT Armor case and set a huge room fan next to it to drop the temps on the card. When it was operational, for the first 12 hours, I noticed GPU temps around 50c idle and up to 73c under load, with the gigantic fan set beside it I noted idle temps on the GPU around 40c, but have yet to be able to finish a benchmark or render with out a lock up (resorting in an absolute system reboot) or a BSOD in order to see Load temps. Funny enough, the location on the back of the card, where others have said the IC gets boiling hot, does get boiling hot for mine as well.

I sent Gainward and email about the issues (this morning) I had ordering my intial card and the possible RMA that might be coming in the days ahead for this card. I have also had one correspondance with Overclockers.uk.com, so far. Interestingly enough, the Tech Support at Overclockers first question to me was the type and power of my PSU. To that my reply was an adequete OCZ modstream 520W, with a 12v rail at 28 amps. Trust when I say, I prepared for a high temp-high power VGA card. This issue is not user or driver error. Whether they recieved some bad parts for the first grouping of cards, or some of the original cards weren't tested properly the end product that many of us recieved is most certainly bogus.

On a sidenote, because I had researched the type of card I wanted to use in my system, I stumbled acorss forums such as these and many others a while back and have been keeping up from day to day. I honestly thought to myself that I'd be in the clear with any of these issues, boy was I mistaken.

my new Asus EN7900GT is one of the cards with these problems as well. Not OC'd at all. It ran fine for a few days, completing the 3DMark06 deep freeze bench along with all the others fine, and Oblivion seemed to be running good as well.

A couple days later I tried to play Battlefield 2 and noticed lots of wierd objects all over the place where they shouldn't be. like giant walls and columns you could walk through, lines and stuff elsewhere. I rolled back to previous drivers and the issue hitched along for the ride.

The first time I got the flashing screen bit, oddly enough, was after installing a beta microsoft app (that new frontpage replacement). I blamed it on beta software and got on with my life. It wasn't until I ran Milkdrop in Winamp full screen while I went off to make supper that the flashing screen came back. Well, actually I came back to find milkdrop frozen and tried to close it, after which I got the flashing screen back in windows and it ended up shutting right off completely after a while. I tested this again later while watching gpu temps and they never went over 42c but I still got the lockup. those IC's or whatever they are called are indeed very hot to the touch on the corner of the card near the ram slots on my A8N-SLI.

The store I got the card from blames the video card drivers or some combination of programs/drivers and says I should RMA right to Asus because if he RMA's to his distributor, they will test the card, find nothing wrong, and then ding him for it. I have linked him to a few forum threads all over the place showing lots of people with this issue, but whatever.

Sometime this week I'll probably try to get an RMA from Asus and see if they can cross ship me a new one.

Blue Falcon said:
I had already measured the core voltage of this new card to be 1.45v. That's a pretty big jump from the 1.2v on the original 7900GT.

Thats a pretty huge change. Can anyone else verify this? Upping the voltage 20% isnt my idea of a fix.

-Steve

I'll be getting my "new" eVGA 7900GT CO soon via their "Step Up" program - More like "Trip Up" because it wasn't a particuliarly smooth experience (read - sloooow!), but they got it straighted out...

Interestingly enough, I was given this "uncoached" reason for the delay over the phone & via eVGA forum post (see below) by an eVGA rep (good guy BTW).

"Thanks for taking my call today; your card is scheduled to ship out today. As you know EVGA has increased the amount of testing on the cards before they ship and yours was not able to ship out on Friday."

Hopefully, my 7900GT will ship with that new & larger cooler instead of the puny "reference" one.

I should be getting my eVGA 7900GT KO superclock in a couple days...what should I look for to see if I have one of the older problem cards or the new revision? I would rather just do an exchange with eVGA before I even install the thing if I can..

I purchased a pair of XFX 7900 GT (520/750 stock) back in March when they first came out. Being a bit paranoid about them heating up to 65C under load, I recently installed a pair of Zalman VF900 coolers (+ TS5) on them and added a few more case fans. It cooled down quite a bit so I slghtly overclocked them to 545/760. Now they get up to 47C under load playing EQ2. After 2 months of steady use they have been performing quite well.

After reading the article and this thread today, I am now worried that my investment might be a bomb waiting to go off. I've run 3dMark03,05 and 06 mutiple times with no problems, except when I experimented with the SLI modes; then I would get some artifacts and tearing that went away when changed to the previous settings. And of course I purchased Oblivion yesterday...

Am I being needlesly pessimistic, or should I limit how hard I push my 7900GT's? Or even be proactive and RMA them back to XFX. I could probably do them one at a time and go without SLI. Or... just hope that the odds are in my favor and that I have a pair of the good ones. Can I even RMA a card that has had an after market heatsink added and removed?

Suggestions, advice, and admonishment appreciated
thanks

So get this....I havent checked my email in a couple of days.
Today i notice this
"
Hi,

I am sending you this email because of your 7900GT problem.

We are sending out new, fully tested, and slightly modified cards.

We can send this card cross-shipped, I have attached a .PDF form, can you please fill that out and fax in? Once this has been done, we can start the RMA process. Once you receive the new card, simply but the defective card back in the box, and ship back.

The fax number is on the .PDF form. For the RMA ID field, please put "7900GT Problem"

Thanks,

Jacob

EVGA"

That email was sent on the 31st and another was sent on the 30th. The one on the 30th says
"Your RMA Request has been received.

Your RMA ID Number is 4***"

Now that's all fine and everything, but here's the deal. I didnt start the RMA process. Sure I have problems with my cards....but i havnt filled out anything on their site.

Here's the the other thing...I have two cards in SLi. Each card is registered to a different email address. One address got the RMA stuff for one card. While the other card and the email address I used with it got nothing.

:confused: :(

Why would they automatically enroll me in an RMA process. When I didnt sign up for one?
And why did they only send the email to one account?

Back