Geforce 770 & 780 coming in May

As far as "free money", I've got a much better plan for you: Don't spend it in the first place. You're spending $100 to get $1 back. I.e., you're $99 in the hole. I'd rather keep the $100.

you make a valid point except sometimes you HAVE to spend that $100.00...so with non discretionary spending (food,insurance and utilities to name a few) why not use a credit card and earn some rewards.

I pay everything I can with a card and reap great benefits....the guy who pays cash, just gets a receipt..

Use credit card, pay it off every month = works, until you unexpectedly lose your job, or you or a family member suffer a medical emergency (here's just one example: you have to be airlifted to a hospital. Most lifeflight services are not covered by insurance, and run $10,000-$20,000. Most people I know who "use a credit card and pay it off each month" don't have $10,000-$20,000 in their emergency fund. And they rarely even have any emergency fund). Then, suddenly, you're carrying debt you weren't planning to and in all likelihood you have no way to pay it back.

"Building credit" is pointless unless you intend to stay in debt. You can buy cars and houses for cash. Me, I'd rather remain a free man, owe nobody anything, and have lots of cash liquid and invested.

But sure, keep thinking that there's nothing wrong with putting stuff on a card, because you'll pay it off quickly. Let's also buy houses because we'll sell them in a few years after the price has skyrocketed. That worked so well, right? It's exactly the same logic: everything's peachy, until it unexpectedly isn't.

As far as "free money", I've got a much better plan for you: Don't spend it in the first place. You're spending $100 to get $1 back. I.e., you're $99 in the hole. I'd rather keep the $100.

dude, you have no clue what you're talking about

if I unexpectedly lose my job, I have more then enough to pay off my credit card for a month. If you dont have this fund in cash, then you didn't have enough money to be buying whatever it is you bought. Others stupidity isnt my fault. Guess what, if you bought something with all your cash and lost your job the next day...you are broke. No, you arnt carrying any debt...you just don't have any money now. Atleast with the CC you have the OPTION of paying a small amount while still having cash to feed yourself in this situation.

"Building credit is pointless"....im not even gonna touch that stupidity. Are you 15 years old?

newsflash, things cost money. Im not spending $100 to get $1 back. Im spending $100 to get whatever product I think was worth $100. It just so happens that I get $1 back for it. If you spend $100 with your debit card, you get nothing back. "Don't spend it in the first place"...what is this I dont even...

Again, there isnt a single reason to use a debit card over a credit card. As long as you have an iq higher than the temperature inside of an igloo, you will get nothing but positives for it.

Use credit card, pay it off every month = works, until you unexpectedly lose your job, or you or a family member suffer a medical emergency

Most people I know who "use a credit card and pay it off each month" don't have $10,000-$20,000 in their emergency fund. And they rarely even have any emergency fund). Then, suddenly, you're carrying debt you weren't planning to and in all likelihood you have no way to pay it back.

"Pay it off every month" means pay it down to $0 balance every month. You will not have a balance of $10-20k to get stuck with unless you are charging $10-20k per month.

"Building credit" is pointless unless you intend to stay in debt.

So not true! Many companies use your credit score for things other than acquiring new debt. Credit score has become a measure of what kind of person you are. Bad credit == untrustworthy lowlife. Good credit == trustworthy and upstanding. Right or wrong, that's how it is in the US in 2013.

Also, great credit means great offers like banks offering you $10-20k at 0% interest for a year. Take their money, invest, pay it off in a year before the interest kicks in and pocket the profits.

As others have said, debit card << credit card!

"Pay it off every month" means pay it down to $0 balance every month. You will not have a balance of $10-20k to get stuck with unless you are charging $10-20k per month.

So not true! Many companies use your credit score for things other than acquiring new debt. Credit score has become a measure of what kind of person you are. Bad credit == untrustworthy lowlife. Good credit == trustworthy and upstanding. Right or wrong, that's how it is in the US in 2013.

Also, great credit means great offers like banks offering you $10-20k at 0% interest for a year. Take their money, invest, pay it off in a year before the interest kicks in and pocket the profits.

As others have said, debit card << credit card!

There's an economic factor you're ignoring in all of that: RISK. Case in point, the $10,000-$20,000 I mentioned was an unexpected emergency expense.

Name one thing your credit score is used for unrelated to debt. Here, I'll give you one: Rental application. However, this can be easily sidestepped by finding a rental company or individual willing to rent without a credit score evaluation. I'll give you another one: job application. And frankly, do you want to work at a place who determines your worth as an employee based on your credit score?

You're all welcome to continue living as debtors. There are those who choose otherwise.

I just realized that I am guilty of replying to this thread and helping it get off topic...that's what happens when you only read the last few replies..but lets try and get it back on topic shall we...:)

I just realized that I am guilty of replying to this thread and helping it get off topic...that's what happens when you only read the last few replies..but lets try and get it back on topic shall we...:)

Fair enough.

So how bout them new vidia cards? :D

I've really got the itch to upgrade, it keeps getting worse and worse. I've been fighting it for months now. Been wanting to go green for a while now. Not sure if I'll get to pick up any new cards yet. Still waiting on prices........that's the rough part.

man. first the titans and now this.

my pc is already outdated :(

That's an asinine statement.
There's nothing out there that needs that much video rendering power to run properly. Your tri-sli setup will be fine for quite some time, especially if the 770 really is a rebranded 680

I was hoping Nvidia would keep a GK110 based gtx780 at $599. Anything more than $649 and they're going to start losing some customers and goodwill among the high end / enthusiast crowd - the crowd that is most eager to spread the good word to the rest of the masses.

Please don't get too greedy and alienate your customers Nvidia.

So so far what is the general consensus about how the 780 will compare to titian? I'm gonna wait till everything and find out hard facts. Currently run 3x asus vg23ah and want to upgrade to 3 of those overlord tempest overclock monitors. Would like to have 2-3 titans for it but if 3-4 780s are close enough at 7680x1440 ill go with those and save money

I was hoping Nvidia would keep a GK110 based gtx780 at $599. Anything more than $649 and they're going to start losing some customers and goodwill among the high end / enthusiast crowd - the crowd that is most eager to spread the good word to the rest of the masses.

Please don't get too greedy and alienate your customers Nvidia.

They won't lose any, don't worry your pretty little head about it :)

You know what the great thing about brand loyalty is?
Most of the time, it's irrational!
(same goes for all brands, I'm not harping on nVidia)

Geez if the next gen Nvidia cards are that expensive and AMD isn't countering it till next year, looks like my money is going to PS4. Seriously don't want to do that but graphics cards are too damn expensive, and that is coming from a guy that has run sli/ xfire for that past four or five generations. :(

Geez if the next gen Nvidia cards are that expensive and AMD isn't countering it till next year, looks like my money is going to PS4. Seriously don't want to do that but graphics cards are too damn expensive, and that is coming from a guy that has run sli/ xfire for that past four or five generations. :(

If you don't want to, why would you buy a ps4?
I seriously don't understand the hardware enthusiast mentality anymore.

If a brand new top tier graphics card is too much money, then don't buy it.
There's no games out there that really need the extra power over last years cards anyway.

If you need it buy it.
If you can't justify the cost, you were never then intended market anyway.

There's alway gonna be someone with more money, that can afford it, and isn't bothered by the cost. That's why there are so many price points for graphics cards.

It does not matter how I want to use a Debit Card or a Credit Card. I have a job that pays very well. I own my own home, I started at a startup back in 1996 that did really good, I have ZERO DEBT to speak of...I carry a small balance on my Car Loan to keep my credit score good...and IF I were to get laid off from my job, I keep a emergency fund at the ready. I do not live beyond my means. I balance my checkbook every three months. While my mother and sister pissed away their saving over the last 15 years, I have put mine away. I zero out all my bills every month so that when I turn 65, I will have a nice nest-egg put away so that I will nto be a burden on anyone.

Plus currently, I can purchase a couple of Titan video cards after the tax return and put aside money for my vacation to New Zealand at the end of this year to where I never hurt for money. You people have your way, I have mine...

S[H]ady;1039854832 said:
If you don't want to, why would you buy a ps4?
I seriously don't understand the hardware enthusiast mentality anymore.

If a brand new top tier graphics card is too much money, then don't buy it.
There's no games out there that really need the extra power over last years cards anyway.

If you need it buy it.
If you can't justify the cost, you were never then intended market anyway.

There's alway gonna be someone with more money, that can afford it, and isn't bothered by the cost. That's why there are so many price points for graphics cards.

No just someone smart with my money. When I think something is overpriced, I vote with my wallet and buy the next best thing I can afford. And seeing the PS4 is going to be able to handle the next gen graphics just fine, I'll get more bang for my buck then upgrading my cards again. If you don't vote with your wallet then there's no limit these companies will stop at. Just my opinion anyways. You go do whatever the hell you wanna do.

Guys, off topic. This is an enthusiast forum, and there are people here who will buy the latest and greatest however they please. Let's keep this about the cards we are looking forward to getting our grubby little hands on and keep the how's out of this. Two more weeks and we will know how much of a dent they will put in our "personal" finances.

No just someone smart with my money. When I think something is overpriced, I vote with my wallet and buy the next best thing I can afford. And seeing the PS4 is going to be able to handle the next gen graphics just fine, I'll get more bang for my buck then upgrading my cards again. If you don't vote with your wallet then there's no limit these companies will stop at. Just my opinion anyways. You go do whatever the hell you wanna do.

I never saiid was the target market either. But if I'm in the market for a new video card, the next best thing to a GTX780 is GTX770, not a PS4. Those are totally different products and experiences.

Hopefully the GTX 780 will be around $600, if it's close to which some sites say $800 then that would be the new trend with nvidia.. no more $500-600 GTX X80, can't wait for the 4th gen intel 4k cpu and this... new pc incoming! :x

plenty of new nonsense here. article is riddled with mistakes too.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31286-gtx-760-ti-770-780-detailed

and there is almost zero chance that they would make a gk110 gtx780 with just a 256bit bus. its clocks would be so low that the gtx680 and gtx770 and even 760ti would already blow it away in effective rop performance. not to mention the bandwidth itself being no better than the gtx680, gtx670, gtx770 and gtx760ti would defeat the purpose of having a lot more shaders from gk110.

plenty of new nonsense here. article is riddled with mistakes too.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31286-gtx-760-ti-770-780-detailed

and there is almost zero chance that they would make a gk110 gtx780 with just a 256bit bus. its clocks would be so low that the gtx680 and gtx770 and even 760ti would already blow it away in effective rop performance. not to mention the bandwidth itself being no better than the gtx680, gtx670, gtx770 and gtx760ti would defeat the purpose of having a lot more shaders from gk110.

While I'm quite skeptical of the idea of a 256-bit GK110-based card too (I agree with you), I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility either. If they're aiming this card at $500-600 and clock it well + high shader/tmu count, it may perform very well regardless. The Kepler architecture doesn't seem half as bandwidth-constrained as people think from testing I've seen.

700 series seems like a total joke.

Simple rebranding, not even any decent price drops.

780 looks to be a total waste, provided it's actually in the middle of 680 and Titan performance, which isn't that big of a gap to begin with.

700 series seems like a total joke.

Simple rebranding, not even any decent price drops.

780 looks to be a total waste, provided it's actually in the middle of 680 and Titan performance, which isn't that big of a gap to begin with.

Now that the GK110 is here, the other GPUs are being placed in their correct tiers. That's all.

A waste to who though? You either want it or you don't. Maxwell will be here next year, and people will doubt that also.
The forums repeats itself before every GPU launch.

I'm expecting, at most, a 20% increase in performance compared to the 680.

Shiny, might find out information on these cards by the 16th, in 10 days.

I didn't even break in my 670GTX barely.............it's not even a year old....

Back