Geforce 770 & 780 coming in May

I was all amped for a Titan, but:
A) The Galaxy fixed clock (no boost) version I wanted never appeared.
B) The price is just unreasonable. I can afford it, but for once common sense prevailed. I see it on newegg for USD$1000, which is ~NZD$1178. But you know how much it actually costs in NZ? NZD$1800. $600 extra "because New Zealand"? Fuck this shit hole.

So I'm pretty keen to see how the 780 turns out.

I hope it turns out to be $600 or less....$500 would be absolute killer though

I can see it happening as Intel has a similar price range of $500 to $1000 for their enthusiast X79 platform....most settle with the 3930k at $500-ish versus the 3960X at $1000....that extra $500 is literally for epeen in gaming....but at the same time, I can understand nvidia not doing this and jacking up the GTX 780 to like $800 and keeping the Titan to $1000

I hope it turns out to be $600 or less....$500 would be absolute killer though

I can see it happening as Intel has a similar price range of $500 to $1000 for their enthusiast X79 platform....most settle with the 3930k at $500-ish versus the 3960X at $1000....that extra $500 is literally for epeen in gaming....but at the same time, I can understand nvidia not doing this and jacking up the GTX 780 to like $800 and keeping the Titan to $1000

They can't keep Titans in stock at $1000 ... something tells me the 780 won't be $500 or $600 if it is 85% of a Titan.

They can't keep Titans in stock at $1000 ... something tells me the 780 won't be $500 or $600 if it is 85% of a Titan.

Yes I agree...I have doubts myself....the good news for us though? It's only about 3-4 weeks of waiting till we finally get the answer

IF NV did charge $500-$600, then thats major props to them...I mean who freaking knows? Maybe those AMD never settle promos are killing the competition....so NV really has to get aggressive....instead of bundling a huge AAA game package, they decided to bring a top dog GPU and lower the price

Yes I agree...I have doubts myself....the good news for us though? It's only about 3-4 weeks of waiting till we finally get the answer

IF NV did charge $500-$600, then thats major props to them...I mean who freaking knows? Maybe those AMD never settle promos are killing the competition....so NV really has to get aggressive....instead of bundling a huge AAA game package, they decided to bring a top dog GPU and lower the price

One can hope, but my official prediction is that you won't see a 5GB 780 for anything under $600-650(reference models) unless AMD pulls a rabbit out of their hat to counter it..

They dont have huge stocks of Titans. They are really limited in number so that's why they are out of stock all the time.

They can't keep Titans in stock because its the fastest single gpu card there is. If the 780 is 85% of its speed then the titan is still the fastest there is and they can still command that price or maybe drop it a hundo and people will still scoop them up. If you're willing to pay double the price of a 680 for 30% more performance then price/performance isn't really your key factor in the purchase decision.

I am calling around $700-$800 for the GTX 780 simply because it has no competition from AMD - much the same way that AMD had WAYYY over inflated prices when the 7970 came out and Nvidia had no answer for it.
The rumors I've come across are saying the same as you — it's more likely the 780 will be well over 500 credits.

I just wonder how well this will pan out for them, if they price the GTX 780 close to Titan's price how many will they sale? It's a niche market for a $1000 GPU. I know they have sold a good amount of Titan's, but do they think these prices are to become the norm?

I'm willing to buy 2x GTX 780s IF the price is around $500-600 each, possibly even 3x if they are closer to the $500 mark. However I am almost certain they won't be obtainable at those prices. So instead of just buying one card for $700+ or buying lower series cards for around the same price, I'll hold out until AMD hopefully comes with something as good for a much better price.

We will see how it pans out in the next few weeks I guess.

I love my two Titans....Best cards I have ever owned IMHO. Well worth the $2K I put on my credit card.

I wish they released the gtx 780 in both 2.5 and 5 gb Vram versions, priced accordingly, of course. If they price it too steep, I will hold on to the gtx 680 for a while.

Last edited:
I love my two Titans....Best cards I have ever owned IMHO. Well worth the $2K I put on my credit card.

I hope you have very low interest rates :D
I'd love to find $2k in my couch to drop on a couple Titans, but I just can't justify the cost in my mind. That would be a lot of cash for a few more graphic settings on max lol. Not knocking Titans at all. they are beasts, just too pricey imo.

I hope you have very low interest rates :D
I'd love to find $2k in my couch to drop on a couple Titans, but I just can't justify the cost in my mind. That would be a lot of cash for a few more graphic settings on max lol. Not knocking Titans at all. they are beasts, just too pricey imo.

I cleared the card the following week...I never keep a balance on my CC. I use it for purchases that I know I can cover at the end of the month. I put 2 things on my CC every month: Food and Gas. I get some real nice mileage on it...The Titans were put on there because I got a big old fat refund this year. :)

Its May, I got my GTX Titan Back Panel and High Flow bracket and I'm in the process of ordering my 3rd Asus VG278H. Now I hope we get a price drop:D

I cleared the card the following week...I never keep a balance on my CC. I use it for purchases that I know I can cover at the end of the month. I put 2 things on my CC every month: Food and Gas. I get some real nice mileage on it...The Titans were put on there because I got a big old fat refund this year. :)

ever heard of a Debit Card?

all old 28nm gpu's rebagged with a higher number and in some cases higher clocks and less fuses blown. Some will be failed tesla dies (770). the 780 for example is just a titian with more fuses blown. nothing really new from either side till next year move along people nothing to see

all old 28nm gpu's rebagged with a higher number and in some cases higher clocks and less fuses blown. the 780 for example is just a titian with more fuses blown. nothing really new from either side till next year.

Agreed.

This current generation has been really interesting, so it'll be REALLY interesting to see what the next gen brings with the wrinkles of this gen ironed out AND a smaller process.

Ever heard of cashback/points, extended warranty, and credit building? Debit card fraud is also more of a liability than credit card fraud, the latter of which can be dealt with in less than 24 hours.

Ever heard of cashback/points, extended warranty, and credit building? Debit card fraud is also more of a liability than credit card fraud, the latter of which can be dealt with in less than 24 hours.

I believe chargebacks don't work on debit cards either.

Why would I want to use a debit card to purchase anything? My bank gives me no rewards on it....with my CC, I can write off the interest if I want to, I get bonus rewards for using it as well...plus it builds up my credit all at the same time. The people who are idiots are the ones that have a $10K limit on their cards, the limit is almost maxed, and they are paying the interest alone on the card. I pay almost no interest since I pay the entire card off every month. Plus My debit card is just that...a debit card. I can only pull money out of the ATM with it. I refused the Visa logo because a debit card can be deadly if you don't keep track of your money. Plus Debit Card fraud is much more prevalent then normal CC use IMHO.

Well, no shit. We already knew that the GTX 780 wasn't going to be half the price of a Titan if it was 85% as fast as the Titan, right? It's going to be 85% of $1000, so it'd probably be at least 750-850 dollars.

i hope to see some half height 700 series cards like they've done for the 670

just hope it isn't another rebadging

My bets are going that the GTX 780 will be about $699, and I'm hoping that means the GTX Titan will come down to between $800 and $900.

I wouldn't mind paying around $700 for this GTX 780, because I paid $900 for the GTX 480 when it first came out, but $1000 is really pushing it too far and NVIDIA needs to lower the price of Titan because the 7990 is priced the same and destroys the Titan in every benchmark, yes I know its a dual GPU card vs a single GPU but the $1000 price tag doesn't justify the performance at all.

I wouldn't mind paying around $700 for this GTX 780, because I paid $900 for the GTX 480 when it first came out, but $1000 is really pushing it too far and NVIDIA needs to lower the price of Titan because the 7990 is priced the same and destroys the Titan in every benchmark, yes I know its a dual GPU card vs a single GPU but the $1000 price tag doesn't justify the performance at all.
why in the hell did you pay $900 for gtx480? and your logic fails as you paid 80% over retail for a hot running, power hungry, and laughably noisy card but just 100 bucks more 3.5 years later for a refined Titan is too much? really?

the $1k price tag only justifies if you require that VRAM....such as triple 1080p or even triple 1440p displays....other than that, its usually better to just get dual 670 or 680...or even triple 670 or 680, and get way more power than a single Titan at $1k

and where did you get your GTX 480 at $900? :confused:

700 series sounds great and all, but what is another year? Oh, the 800 series which is "suppose" to be a whole new ball game.

why in the hell did you pay $900 for gtx480? and your logic fails as you paid 80% over retail for a hot running, power hungry, and laughably noisy card but just 100 bucks more 3.5 years later for a refined Titan is too much? really?

Agree. I remember the 480 being $499, at lauch. Unless he lives in a different country.

You must have a crappy bank. I had my debit card stolen and used and US BANK called me the same day and they cancelled the card, issued a new one and removed all charges after I told them the last legitimate charge. All I had to do was go file a police report and give them the file number. 14 days later I got a letter indicating that they had did what they told me they did on the day it happened.

the $1k price tag only justifies if you require that VRAM....such as triple 1080p or even triple 1440p displays....other than that, its usually better to just get dual 670 or 680...or even triple 670 or 680, and get way more power than a single Titan at $1k

and where did you get your GTX 480 at $900? :confused:

I live in Australia and when the GTX 480 came out it was around $900, not the best money I spent unfortunately, and the Titan here costs $1300, as usual we Australians get ripped off in everything.

$699-$759 MSRP... no thanks. Hopefully the actual price will end up being between $500 and $600 otherwise I'll wait.

Why would I want to use a debit card to purchase anything? My bank gives me no rewards on it....with my CC, I can write off the interest if I want to, I get bonus rewards for using it as well...plus it builds up my credit all at the same time. The people who are idiots are the ones that have a $10K limit on their cards, the limit is almost maxed, and they are paying the interest alone on the card. I pay almost no interest since I pay the entire card off every month. Plus My debit card is just that...a debit card. I can only pull money out of the ATM with it. I refused the Visa logo because a debit card can be deadly if you don't keep track of your money. Plus Debit Card fraud is much more prevalent then normal CC use IMHO.

Not to take this any further off topic, but how in the hell is the argument "you have to take care to keep track of your money with a debit card" an argument for using credit cards, when you're even more screwed if you don't keep track of your money with credit cards?

I use a debit card (i.e., I pay cash) for everything. I also have zero debt, and I have a credit score of 795. And as Dave Ramsey says, "nobody ever got rich from credit card rewards". That's like saying, "Look at how much money I saved! I only paid $50,000 for this car! It was on sale! I saved $5,000!" No, you spent $50,000.

And you can run a debit card as credit at POS terminals (and, in fact, they generally are processed as credit when you order online), thereby granting you exactly the same protections, by law, as any credit card regarding fraud.

The only two possible reasons I can see for using a credit card instead of a debit card are: extended warranty, and the fact that most banks have separate departments for credit and debit cards, and the credit card departments, having been around much longer, are generally much quicker about things like reversing charges and such.

But carrying debt is stupid. The borrower is slave to the lender. All it takes is one screwup and you're stuck in a game of musical chairs, and you're the one left standing. One unexpected emergency that drains your cash and suddenly you're carrying a debt load you weren't intending. When you pay cash up front, you never have to worry about that. There's something inestimably freeing about having no debt whatsoever, being beholden to no one. It means my net income is all mine, do to with as I please. I'm not giving it to banks, and I'm not paying for things my past self bought.

there isnt a single reason to use a debit card over a CC. Pay it off each month = no interest. Plus you get double warranty and points(aka free money).

there isnt a single reason to use a debit card over a CC. Pay it off each month = no interest. Plus you get double warranty and points(aka free money).

Use credit card, pay it off every month = works, until you unexpectedly lose your job, or you or a family member suffer a medical emergency (here's just one example: you have to be airlifted to a hospital. Most lifeflight services are not covered by insurance, and run $10,000-$20,000. Most people I know who "use a credit card and pay it off each month" don't have $10,000-$20,000 in their emergency fund. And they rarely even have any emergency fund). Then, suddenly, you're carrying debt you weren't planning to and in all likelihood you have no way to pay it back.

"Building credit" is pointless unless you intend to stay in debt. You can buy cars and houses for cash. Me, I'd rather remain a free man, owe nobody anything, and have lots of cash liquid and invested.

But sure, keep thinking that there's nothing wrong with putting stuff on a card, because you'll pay it off quickly. Let's also buy houses because we'll sell them in a few years after the price has skyrocketed. That worked so well, right? It's exactly the same logic: everything's peachy, until it unexpectedly isn't.

As far as "free money", I've got a much better plan for you: Don't spend it in the first place. You're spending $100 to get $1 back. I.e., you're $99 in the hole. I'd rather keep the $100.

I stopped using credit myself and switched to keeping a savings instead. To avoid taking risks with my debit card, I just picked up a prepaid to order stuff online with.

Back