Geforce 6800GT Grafic Problems? Pics Included.

With 3 different cards doing the exact same thing I would start to suspect something else, and you already changed out the power suppply so that eliminates that as a possibility.

The other things would be motherboard, cpu and ram. If you happen to have a second PC floating around try the card in it. see if it continues.

BTW I hadn't seen if you tried different drivers yet, which ones are you running?

That''s disheartening. I RMA'd my card to BFG today, and I'm hoping the replacement will fix the errors I get, which are similar to yours. But now I'm not sure if it will. If the new replacement card (which could take up to two weeks to get here) still has artifacts, I'll probably reformat. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what I'll do.

I can't really say it's anything else because, like I said before, I never ever had this problem before with any other ATI card, not even my little Geforce 3ti200 does this. I never had problems with my ATI 9800XT which is a pretty powerful card. I have brand new ram and old ram--I switched them back and forth and still, nothing. I cleared out all drivers and reinstalled. I tried all the new drivers, even the latest new beta ones--nothing seemed to change. :(

3 different cards with the same problems. It isnt the cards its whatever your running the cards on. If that no name 500w PSU gets rid of the artifacts then its that substandard PSU sony stuck in your machine. hell if anything id ditch that 500w and get a antec true power 430 or 480 and test with that.....but honestly it isnt your card it isnt the card being OCed stock...its a part of the system your sticking it in

I have to agree 3 cards all having the same problems, then it cant be cards but someting in the system. I'm running my card 400/1000 no problems. Make sure you get a good quality PSU and not the 50 dollar crap.

Also not sure if this helps, check for sideband and fastwrites, try disabling those or enabling.
Make sure a line from the PSU isn't being shared with anything else.

Can't think of anything else.

Then why did my 9800XT work just fine? That's what is puzzling me that keeps me thinking it's the card. Like I said before, I never had this problem with any other cards I had in this PC--so why this one? Also, why are others have them same issue as me?

I don't have a lot of money, so I'm really not in teh position to keep the card if something really is wrong with it.

Perhaps a bad batch?

OneSneakYmousE said:
Then why did my 9800XT work just fine? That's what is puzzling me that keeps me thinking it's the card. Like I said before, I never had this problem with any other cards I had in this PC--so why this one? Also, why are others have them same issue as me?

I don't have a lot of money, so I'm really not in teh position to keep the card if something really is wrong with it.

Perhaps a bad batch?

Did you format your PC since you took out the 9800? If you haven't, do that. ATI drivers can remain left behind and screw up Nvidia drivers even after uninstalling and running driver cleaner. Reformatting is sometimes the only option.

I would also reinstall DX 9 and your chipset drivers just to be on the safe side.

I appreciate all the help. I've tried everything from updating all my drivers, bios, reinstalled all my drivers, I did everything but reformat my PC--something I can't do at the moment--not to just find out if it's a card issue. I even called the tech dept to get further help with my bios settings and such. Nothing worked, still go them ugly artifact lines.

I took back the cards.

I didn't have any problems with ATI, so I'm going to go with them as soon as I can get my hands on a 800.

This will be the last card I buy for this PC before I upgrade, so I hope this will be my best choice. I also hope I can get the same performance benchmark score.

I'll post up once I get my hands on one. The best score I got on one of the cards was 10067. I remember this number because I did a test on my Geforce 3ti 200 and I got something very similar, but missing a '0' :p . I got 1067--hehehe. Major difference between the two cards!

Thanks again everyone for all the help and tech support!

OneSneakYmousE said:
Think I'll just return it.

What's an RMA#?

Return Materials Authorization. It's a number they give you that authorizes you for a return and allows you (and them) to track the return.

6800 Gt must have problems. returned two of them because of artifacts this week.
Also they didn't post eg. "Pny 6800 GT" at startup up but the 6800 ST did eg. "PNY 6800 ST".

I am going back to the 6800 ST that work, that I bought before exchanging it for a 6800 GT because for the $100 dollar more i thought would be better off in the long run before needing to upgrade. Good card but it seems they are defected. I say this because the "inferior " 6800 ST worked with no artifacts and the GT didn't- maybe because it is a "Ultra" spec card running on a 6800 ST cooling system?

the ST temps were 70C after exiting a game and the GT temp were 68C after exiting a game full with artifacts. I notice that at 65C it starts doing this. Reviewers report temps up to 80C on the 6800 GT and report no problems. I feel that there is going to be a major recall on the GT or there are batch of "bad eggs" that got out.

I ended up returned two of them "GTs" feeling embrassed that the store would think I was scamming them, explaining the problem I told them I would be happy to take back the ST because I know if worked.

I would have love to keep the GT because before it would crapout it was a awesome running card a 20% increase imo over the ST in my comp. But the 6800 ST is good, but it is a little "vanilla" as i heard them say to the GT- i happen to like vanilla anyway :p

I envy those who got a "good" 6800 GT and you are truly blessed. I don't plan to run over 1024 * 768 anyway so I should be okay.

That GT rips in the Halo Demo at max res. on my Amd 2400+ that would shake with the ti 4200. Those with the good GTs don't take it for granted- I ENVY YOU!

Think I'll have to look into the PNY ST's.

I found a PNY 6800GT. I think I might just purchase it to see what my results are.

For the first time in my life I am able to spring the cash for a excellent GPU- it seems to me that "somebody" wants me to humble myself with the 6800 ST :eek:

I mean I got two bad ones in a row, the two that the store had in stock! and there are people out there having success with the GTs

Onesneakymouse, I feel just as you do man.

By the way my "bad" 6800 GTs were both PNYs

The "humble servant" 6800 ST was PNY too- I am waiting almost impatiently for the store to get it in stock for its a good card just not as hardcore as the GT but it was reliable. I am stupid I should have settle and been happy with it. But wanting the "best"..., am I wrong? :(

Oh, so your saying you also had problems with the PNY Geforce 6GT?--meaning, both your PNY's also had artifacting?

I'm wondering if these boards are produced in one location then sent out to get a PNY, BFG sticker attatched to it. :confused:

I found a PNY 6800 GT for sale, but they will charge my 15% restocking fee if I return it. I'm wondering if this will be applied if it were defective, or if I am having artifacting with it.

Guess I wont be playing DOOM3 anytime soon until the ATI 800's are available! :mad:

Delays, delays!--if it's not the game it's the videocards--if it's not one thing, it's another.

OneSneakYmousE said:
Well, this is the end. I just did my second benchmark on the card without the sticker with my new Neuclear 500W PSU, and I got artifacting in the nature demo. Not hardly as bad as when I was using the card with the sticker on it.

I give up. I never had trouble with my ATI 9800XT, or any card before that on this PC.

I bet it has something to do with the card being overclocked, but I can't be certian about it.

Well, time for me to box all this stuff up and ship it back to the store.

Think from my bad experience with Geforce cards I'd learn my lesson.

ATI Forever :) Just gotta find out where to find one of these bad boys!

That last sentence indicates me you were a fanboy from stage 1 and this whole post is BS. ATI cards have never had problems out of the box? PLEASE.

OneSneakYmousE said:
Oh, so your saying you also had problems with the PNY Geforce 6GT?--meaning, both your PNY's also had artifacting?

I'm wondering if these boards are produced in one location then sent out to get a PNY, BFG sticker attatched to it. :confused:

I found a PNY 6800 GT for sale, but they will charge my 15% restocking fee if I return it. I'm wondering if this will be applied if it were defective, or if I am having artifacting with it.

Guess I wont be playing DOOM3 anytime soon until the ATI 800's are available! :mad:

Delays, delays!--if it's not the game it's the videocards--if it's not one thing, it's another.

Why is it you think that X800 seems to be gods gift to hardware and is problem free? NEWSFLASH: Thousands of other people are running GT's with NO PROBLEMS. Your GT having a problem doesn't mean X800 is perfect now does it?

evilchris said:
Why is it you think that X800 seems to be gods gift to hardware and is problem free? NEWSFLASH: Thousands of other people are running GT's with NO PROBLEMS. Your GT having a problem doesn't mean X800 is perfect now does it?

That statement is true.

I had a radeon 9800 Pro that artifacted a bunch using DirectX 9.0c. After I reformatted and installed DirectX 9.0b again, everything ran perfect. Driver problem.

Before that, my Radeon 9800 pro ran like crap on wheels because I forgot to reinstall my motherboard chipset's AGP drivers BEFORE ATI catalyst. Driver problem.

Making the transition from a GeForce FX 5900 ultra to a 9800 Pro, I tried transition ForceWare -> Catalyst without formatting. That was a mistake too, as I had sporatic artifacting. Rogue nVidia drivers still existed in my system even after Driver cleaner did its work. Reformatting fixed the problem. Yet another problem due to drivers, fixed.

Moral of the story, it's very often the case that it's software - drivers specifically - that's causing your bad experience, NOT hardware. I would definitely format, but if you can't burn your valuable info onto a CD/DVD then return it for a Radeon if you wish. I'm willing to put money that rogue nVidia drivers will hound your Radeon experience when you get back to ATi.

OneSneakYmousE said:

Yes both of them after 5-10 minutes of use, D**N!

They won't charge the 15% restocking fee its it is defective. Also if you exchange an item too. Only if you return for cash they charge.

I am afraid to try another GT in fear of getting "banned" from the store for going through inventory. I praying the 6800 ST they get works like the one i had. I could'nt buy back the one i had before because of store "return" policies.

Its not the cards, its your system. The 9800 doesn't have these problems because it doesn't pull as much power. I garuntee if you stuck a PP&C or Antec PSU in there, it would run fine.

It looks to me that the PNY and the BFG cards could be made by the same manufacturer so I'm gonna put a hold on it and try the 800's since "i have never had problems with ATI products".

I going to live with the 6800 ST. It is a Nv40 card anyway and worthy, it's in the 6800 family, performance just not high performance. :(

an excellent upgrade from the famed ti4200 on which i managed farcry overclocked to 290 & 590 memory @ 800*600- farcry the reason for the overclock. may it RIP, a great card of the time.

However I cannot blame you on your decision, Onesneakymouse, to get the X800. We have go "live" according to what "we" know and what works for us as individuals, I say to myself that sucks. I ain't going through anymore inventory trying to find a good 6800 GT I have no luck with that.

I am happy for those enjoying the sheer power and speed of the 6800 GT with no problems......Godspeed ;)

beastbuoy said:
I going to live with the 6800 ST. It is a Nv40 card anyway and worthy, it's in the 6800 family, performance just not high performance. :(

an excellent upgrade from the famed ti4200 on which i managed farcry overclocked to 290 & 590 memory @ 800*600- farcry the reason for the overclock. may it RIP, a great card of the time.

However I cannot blame you on your decision, Onesneakymouse, to get the X800. We have go "live" according to what "we" know and what works for us as individuals, I say to myself that sucks. I ain't going through anymore inventory trying to find a good 6800 GT I have no luck with that.

I am happy for those enjoying the sheer power and speed of the 6800 GT with no problems......Godspeed ;)

Yea, you're probably right. I also don't have luck with that either. I really like what Geforce has to offer with the S3.0, but I'll have to go with ATI now. I had the 9800XT and it ran great on my system, so if power is an issue, this card should work better on my system. Nothing is perfect, but something is perfect for my system. I just can't afford to go out and buy a whole new system--not right now :(

Besides, takeing a look at the PNY and the BFG cards, the hardware looks identical--so they could have been manufacturered by the same company, probably going to give me the same results. It probably doesn't match with my system for whatever reason unkown to me.

The waiting again....ATI get them presses up and pumping!

OneSneakYmousE said:
Yea, you're probably right. I also don't have luck with that either. I really like what Geforce has to offer with the S3.0, but I'll have to go with ATI now. I had the 9800XT and it ran great on my system, so if power is an issue, this card should work better on my system. Nothing is perfect, but something is perfect for my system. I just can't afford to go out and buy a whole new system--not right now :(

Besides, takeing a look at the PNY and the BFG cards, the hardware looks identical--so they could have been manufacturered by the same company, probably going to give me the same results. It probably doesn't match with my system for whatever reason unkown to me.

The waiting again....ATI get them presses up and pumping!

Bless you man....you said it, "something is perfect for my system". I feel better now about "settling" for ST model. It is a next generation card anyway and sometimes things isn't all about "raw numbers"

When i bought my abit n-7s mobo and ditched the shuttle a32ka mobo. It bought life to my crappy PC2100 memory by dual channel mode. I was shocked at the improvement-double the mem bandwidth. The memory doesn't suck in actual use anymore, but just by specs.

What works is the key.

Like Magnum P.I. said - "works for me!"

tranCendenZ said:
Have you tried a better PSU like an Antec TruePower 430+? Maybe your PSU isn't putting out enough juice? Two duds in a row does sound rare, especially since you are getting the same prob. Also make sure you have latest mobo bios & drivers.

No it isn't rare, I had 3 ti4600's from gainward go bad just like that. They were the worst video card i've ever had to deal with. I actually had the gull to get a gainward geforce 3 ti200 replacement though that worked perfectly and still does today. Even my x800 works great. It was that piece of shit ti4600, I don't know what was wrong with it, but it sucked ass. I've seen others with the same problems.

Back