Geforce 560ti 100 degrees C under BF3 load?

I recently did a slight overclock on my Galaxy Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1gb from stock 835 to 925mhz using XtremeTuner HD software. The GPU idles at 34-38C but runs at 95-101C when playing BC2 and Battlefield 3. Even before I overclocked the GPU it was running around 95-101C in games.

Is this too hot for the card?

Also, the overclock review of my exact GPU on this site shows stability at 975mhz. Has anyone with this card had success with that in the long term?

I have a very well ventilated Coolermaster HAF 912 case with 5 120mm fans so I don't think my case is causing the card to run hotter than normal.

The rest of my rig;

i5 2500k 3.3ghz
Cooler Master H212+
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
8gb Kingston DDR3 10600
500gb 7200rpm WD HDD
Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti GC 1024mb (O/C to 925mhz)

is your GPU fan @ 100% ?

XtremeTuner HD??
I don't know much about that program, looks like a solid RivaTuner clone
but still...
I would use a well known program called MSI Afterburner to overclock and set up GPU Fan profiles.

If your fan is really running full speed...then there could be other problems... is your card new or did you buy it used? Maybe you have accumulated a lot of dust in the GPU fan?
If your card is brand new and has always been running that hot, it might be because there was a manufacturing defect with the fan or perhaps the heatsink making contact with the gpu.
I know it's a dumb question, but is your GPU fan even spinning? :p

Good points all raised by Suprfire. If you're planning to OC your video card then it's basically mandatory that you setup fan profiles. If your fan is running the highest you can tolerate and you're still not getting acceptable temps then you'll need to back off your OC.

It's "rated" for that temperature, but its not ideal to run it at that temp.

Hows your cases air flow? I ask because not even a week ago I saw a friends Antec 900 with every single fan blowing out (yes, even the 200mm one). Stick a piece of paper over the exhaust fans to see if they are even blowing out.

Have you recently cleaned out your gpu cooler?

Do you get the same temps without the overclock?

You mean the dual fan one right? I think that's the only 560 Ti Galaxy makes. When [H] reviewed it and ran BC2 that card was running at 68* C. The mounting of your heatsink has obviously been compromised, as the card shouldn't run that hot under any circumstances. You should remove the heatsink and re-mount it with a grain of rice worth of thermal paste.

It is the 2 fan GC version. I checked the fans and they are both running. I cleaned them out but they were both almost dust free. I bought the video card new in August. The air flow is sufficient. I have 2 front and 1 side 120 with a rear and top vent 120 (5 total). The fans are all working properly and are circulating plenty of air. I have a CPU monitor that shows a HIGH of 48C during full load (BF3). My computer is under my desk but is not in a position that would prevent proper air flow.

I am starting to wonder if I have a defecting graphics card. I have no idea why it is running this hot. To answer the question above, XtremeTuner shows that my card is running the same temperature (95-101) while running stock AND overclocked. It is strange that both modes run at the same temperature.

That is pretty hot temperature, I have GTX 570 by EVGA with single fan. Full load is about 70-71C. Make you fan is set to at least 40%.

101*C is definitely too hot for that card. I think 100*C is the limit. I'd try turning the fan speed up try 50% for now. If it's already ~50% then go higher or get an aftermarket cooler or something because you're going to hurt your card in the long run by running it at those temps.

Xtreme Tuner shows the fans (2 90mm) at 100% when running at 100C. Is there another program that will work with Galaxy GPU's so I can make sure I am looking at accurate info?

That's definitely too hot for a videocard under these circumstances. It could mean your card, or at least the fans, is/are not functioning properly. As others advised, download a program like MSI Afterburner, check if this program gives the same results and try to setup a manual profile.

Is your card giving these high temperatures in all the games you have?

In the end, if this doesn't make a difference you might have to trade this card for another one, in the long term it could case problems to your system. (Of course assuming that the temperatures on your card are really this high)

===

As a comparison, I have a MSI GTX 560TI at stock settings. (822 mhz) During heavy gaming with Battlefield 3 at Ultra settings temperatures max out around 65-70 degrees. My GPU idles around 37-38 degrees.

If you plan on keeping the card for a while it would certainly be great to keep it around 90C or less. As a rough rule of thumb that's a good goal for most modern cards. I personally try to keep my cards from going above 85C.

Being so new I would send that card back. Something is not right with the cooling. Don't take the cooler off. It's under warranty. Let the manufacturer fix it, or replace it. Either way.

Heatsink might not be making adequate contact or not enough/too much thermal paste, but either way RMA it if able.

Edit: MSI is a good tool as well.

good luck

I'm running my EVGA 560Ti at 85% fan speed and no issues with BF3, might be that card.

Back