Geforce 416.81 Drivers Fix Multi Monitor Power Consumption

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Nvidia just released the Geforce 416.81 WHQL Drivers, which they say "provide the optimal gaming experience for Battlefield V". Among other things, Nvidia finally fixed Turing's conspicuously high multi-monitor power consumption. Techpowerup ran some quick benchmarks, and found that Turing cards are consuming between a half and a third the idle power they did on previous drivers. Battlefield V's early access period launches on Origin tomorrow, and if you plan on running it, you should probably give these drivers a go.

As you can see, multi-monitor power consumption is finally back at normal levels. Good job, NVIDIA! While the power draw of Pascal cards is still a little bit lower, the differences are now negligible, and won't have any significant effect on power usage, power bill, temperatures, or the environment

Good to see that some of the G-Sync issues people have been reporting for a while now are fixed.

I'm not seeing any improvement on multi monitor power usage.
My system draws 50W (single screen) 80W (dual screens) at idle and it's the same after this driver update.

I never really kept up with it because a little extra power usage didn't really bother me, but hasn't this been an issue since Kepler? Maybe Fermi? I seem to remember reading about higher power draw when you used two monitors with dissimilar resolutions.

I never really kept up with it because a little extra power usage didn't really bother me, but hasn't this been an issue since Kepler? Maybe Fermi? I seem to remember reading about higher power draw when you used two monitors with dissimilar resolutions.

Only with higher refresh rates, from what I remember (1440p, 144hz or higher). Got to keep the memory clocked high, to keep feeding those hungry displays.

For anything else, it down-clocks in multimonitor.

The high idles were a problem on initial release for Kepler and Fermi, but were quickly solved through a driver update. I don't recall Maxwell or Pascal having any such issues.

Turing is the first to have this problem in a while.

I had to roll back to 399 drivers after installing the 416 as the 416 would cause my 1070 and 3 monitor surround setup to got to sleep after designated time but upon wakeup there was only a black screen. this would require a reboot to fix.On top of that my video card would no longer idle at 135 mhz with the new 416 but instead would idle at 1000 mhz. windows 10 home

Only with higher refresh rates, from what I remember (1440p, 144hz or higher). Got to keep the memory clocked high, to keep feeding those hungry displays.

For anything else, it down-clocks in multimonitor.

The high idles were a problem on initial release for Kepler and Fermi, but were quickly solved through a driver update. I don't recall Maxwell or Pascal having any such issues.

Turing is the first to have this problem in a while.
My Maxwell Titan X would refuse to go back to idle after playing a game on a 144 Hz monitor, even after all the driver updates. I have not had this issue with my Pascal Titan X or 2080 Ti.

Huh, I didn't really notice high idle consumption on my 2080 with dual monitors. Then again, I've never run it without dual monitors.

Wonder if this will fix the multi monitor switching issues I've been having.

I installed this driver set and its still using 58W at idle for my multi monitor.

Back