GeForce 390.65 WHQL (with security fixes for Meltdown and Spectre)

TPU have done some testing of games before and after this driver. Average performance delta across the games they tested was +0.32%, so well within the margin of error.

https://www.techpowerup.com/240414/...iver-with-spectre-fix-benchmarked-in-21-games
upload_2018-1-9_11-8-49.png

How was Nvidia subject to this? I don't get it... am I missing something here? What would a hacker gain from video card kernel memory area? IS that even a thing? *blinks* Nope I got no clue on this one.

How was Nvidia subject to this? I don't get it... am I missing something here? What would a hacker gain from video card kernel memory area? IS that even a thing? *blinks* Nope I got no clue on this one.

Well graphics cards have a processor on board by definition so since the hardware flaws we're talking about affect pretty much all architectures out there, it's maybe not that surprising.

But more likely they're just addressing stuff on the driver side of things that rely on the CPU.

Security Update - This driver add security updates to driver components (CVE-2017-5753)

Computer systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and branch prediction may allow unauthorized disclosure of information to an attacker with local user access via a side-channel analysis. For more information on this issue, see the NVIDIA GPU security updates for speculative side channel Security Bulletin posted on the NVIDIA Product Security page.

Security Notice: Speculative Side Channels
NVIDIA’s core business is GPU computing. We believe our GPU hardware is immune to the reported security issue and are updating our GPU drivers to help mitigate the CPU security issue. As for our SoCs with ARM CPUs, we have analyzed them to determine which are affected and are preparing appropriate mitigations.

Security Bulletin: NVIDIA GeForce Experience Security Updates for Speculative Side Channels
Security Bulletin: NVIDIA GPU Display Driver Security Updates for Speculative Side Channels

Project Zero: Reading privileged memory with a side-channel

Security Update - This driver add security updates to driver components (CVE-2017-5753)

Computer systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and branch prediction may allow unauthorized disclosure of information to an attacker with local user access via a side-channel analysis. For more information on this issue, see the NVIDIA GPU security updates for speculative side channel Security Bulletin posted on the NVIDIA Product Security page.

Security Notice: Speculative Side Channels
NVIDIA’s core business is GPU computing. We believe our GPU hardware is immune to the reported security issue and are updating our GPU drivers to help mitigate the CPU security issue. As for our SoCs with ARM CPUs, we have analyzed them to determine which are affected and are preparing appropriate mitigations.

Security Bulletin: NVIDIA GeForce Experience Security Updates for Speculative Side Channels
Security Bulletin: NVIDIA GPU Display Driver Security Updates for Speculative Side Channels

Project Zero: Reading privileged memory with a side-channel

Thanks for that man. Very helpful. SOOO MANY VECTORS... Sigh....

Back