GeForce 20 series to be released this year (Volta)

If you need a 1080 now then get a 1080 now. So far Vega appears to be only slightly faster than a 1080 in best case scenario such as Doom using Vulkan. And there is no way they can price much lower than the 1080 with all the tech it packs.

I see.. I'm just affraid nvidia will release a new GPU soon

If you need a 1080 now then get a 1080 now. So far Vega appears to be only slightly faster than a 1080 in best case scenario such as Doom using Vulkan. And there is no way they can price much lower than the 1080 with all the tech it packs.

We all know about the Vega demo. But it's not really wise to suggest that you know for a fact Vega's best case scenario. We saw it a while back. There is absolutely nothing we know about Vega as to what the final clocks are and what performance it would be like. Not even a single leak so it's hard to determine how far north it will land from 1080. I think we should find out soon. I expect to see some leaks next month. But AMD seems to have locked Vega down pretty hard.

We all know about the Vega demo. But it's not really wise to suggest that you know for a fact Vega's best case scenario. We saw it a while back. There is absolutely nothing we know about Vega as to what the final clocks are and what performance it would be like. Not even a single leak so it's hard to determine how far north it will land from 1080. I think we should find out soon. I expect to see some leaks next month. But AMD seems to have locked Vega down pretty hard.
That is all they have really shown so far and using Vulkan in Doom is most certainly a best case scenario for AMD gpus.

With them having just released a 1080ti? Unlikely.

Chances are if Volta gets released, it will pack a 2080 (or whatever the 1080 equivalent is) that is, in all likelihood given their track record, better than 1080ti in performance. So I wouldn't count on them releasing something better than 1080 so soon after 1080ti.

Consumer Volta will probably be another year out, give or take 1-2 months. Earliest would be 3 quarters I think, depending on when HPC Volta drops. I think generally consumer cards come about a quarter after professional chips are announced.

Volta is expected to be announced Q4 2017/Q1 2018, so consumer Volta will probably be Q1 2018/Q2 2018 earliest.

Yea customs could be had for 610+ but it is absolutely not true they were available within two weeks. Trust me I looked to say you could have custom 1080 within two weeks for 610 is just not correct. There was too much price gauging going on to begin with. Heck all we could find for first 2, 3 weeks were founder edition cards. Yea they were announced with in two weeks but ones close to 600 range weren't available for a while.

NKD,
are you really complaining that you had to wait say 3 weeks for a selection of custom cards priced cheaper than the FE?
If that is your gripe, then surely you should be moaning that AMD waits to launch products until they have more ideal component pricing in the performance-enthusiast tier.
And do not forget, AMD actually wanted to charge more for the Fury X and lowered price at the last minute not because they are 'kind and just' but due to the aggressive pricing and performance of the 980ti.

You now seem to have moved on from the price jump (which logically makes sense for reasons I mentioned albeit I do not like it and in fact think it now ruins any value proposition of the 1060 refesh cards) to the fact one had to wait roughly 3 weeks for custom cards (yes not every IHV had cards out by then but there was a selection).
And to top it off Nvidia had more custom cards available in the 1060 range before AMD did with the 480.

But this thread is meant to be about Volta rather than any of this.
A product that could be out for nearly 18months to 2 years as performance-enthusiast tier GPU (GV104) before AMD responds with Navi, now that is waiting compared to 3 weeks just as we are still waiting for Vega or anything higher performance than the 480/580.
Cheers

Ok so this it's a little bit more reassuring:)
And even after GV104 releases, you will fear for when GV102 is released? You can wait forever.

It's a good point, but the reason why I'm worried is that the 1080GTX was realeased almost a year ago. I don't honestly care if we have a much better GPU coming next year.. but I'm definitely hesitant to buy a product that will be outdated in a matter of months(((

Generally speaking, does NV releases new GPU series every year?

It's a good point, but the reason why I'm worried is that the 1080GTX was realeased almost a year ago. I don't honestly care if we have a much better GPU coming next year.. but I'm definitely hesitant to buy a product that will be outdated in a matter of months(((

Works out roughly to a 15-20 month cycle.
But..
There is no easy correlation as it comes down to dependencies in R&D within Nvidia and also separately others such as the fabrication plant/memory tech used/etc.

The timeline is usually at the shorter end of that window when a product is on the same fab node, which it is in this case as 12nm used for Volta is really an updated 16nm.
You will not be waiting months for a GV104 but more likely earliest being 6 months (even if news rumours now say late Q3).
Comes down to what you have now and how much you really need the 1080, those looking towards 1080ti is an easier choice as it will still have a higher spec to a GV104 even if a 2080 matches in performance and so easier to keep until 2080ti launches.
Also need to consier looking to buy once AMD launch Vega as it may influence prices a bit (depends how much price drops get to you after your purchase), but fook me that thing brings it closer to the GV104 launch and even less of a reason to buy.
As Shintai says, waiting can be like a domino effect in that there is never a good time and you wait for something else to launch, but tbh you are in the pain period of buying performance-enthusiast cards due to the expected schedule of Vega that may influence prices and maybe 6 months from now the 2080.

This time round does seem those who purchased the Titan Pascal and 1080 at launch last year have done pretty well for length of time without any competition to give them buyers remorse :)
Only one product stands out that will stop any remorse if looking to buy now in performance-enthusiast level is a custom 1080ti (no need for the really expensive ones).
Cheers

Last edited:

Then buy a 1080ti :)

Then buy a 1080ti :)

Ahahah yes! I've been entertaining that idea:) I've got an Ncase sitting here next too me waiting))) I need also to factor power consumption and heat. A 250W GPU in my chassis might be a bit too much, that's why I was leaning toward the 1080..

Works out roughly to a 15-20 month cycle.
But..
There is no easy correlation as it comes down to dependencies in R&D within Nvidia and also separately others such as the fabrication plant/memory tech used/etc.

The timeline is usually at the shorter end of that window when a product is on the same fab node, which it is in this case as 12nm used for Volta is really an updated 16nm.
You will not be waiting months for a GV104 but more likely earliest being 6 months (even if news rumours now say late Q3).
Comes down to what you have now and how much you really need the 1080, those looking towards 1080ti is an easier choice as it will still have a higher spec to a GV104 even if a 2080 matches in performance and so easier to keep until 2080ti launches.
Also need to consier looking to buy once AMD launch Vega as it may influence prices a bit (depends how much price drops get to you after your purchase), but fook me that thing brings it closer to the GV104 launch and even less of a reason to by.
As Shintai says, waiting can be like a domino effect in that there is never a good time and you wait for something else to launch, but tbh you are in the pain period of buying performance-enthusiast cards due to the expected schedule of Vega that may influence prices and maybe 6 months from now the 2080.

This time round does seem those who purchased the Titan Pascal and 1080 at launch last year have done pretty well for length of time without any competition to give them buyers remorse :)
Only one product stands out that will stop any remorse if looking to buy now in performance-enthusiast level is a custom 1080ti (no need for the really expensive ones).
Cheers

Hey thanks so much! Now this TI card looks more and more appealing.. got to find out how well they do inside an Ncase(Of course FE or Seahawk)

That's always going to be the case though.

I dropped $2,400 on 2 x Pascal Titan X's and don't regret it for a minute. This was knowing full well the Ti and such would be coming a few months down the road. The cards still give me bleeding edge performance and will for some time to come, and they crush video conversions using CUDA (something I do a lot of) so I'm still very pleased with the investment.

Buy what you need and can afford now and just enjoy the hell out of it. Something better is always going to be coming, you just cant avoid it.

That's always going to be the case though.

I dropped $2,400 on 2 x Pascal Titan X's and don't regret it for a minute. This was knowing full well the Ti and such would be coming a few months down the road. The cards still give me bleeding edge performance and will for some time to come, and they crush video conversions using CUDA (something I do a lot of) so I'm still very pleased with the investment.

Buy what you need and can afford now and just enjoy the hell out of it. Something better is always going to be coming, you just cant avoid it.
It makes me sad that you have 2 Titan X's with a Shimian :( They were great budget IPS monitors years ago and I love mine (well, my brother is using it now) but with the new 144hz IPS panels, no reason to mess with the Korean knock offs if you have the cash.

It makes me sad that you have 2 Titan X's with a Shimian :( They were great budget IPS monitors years ago and I love mine (well, my brother is using it now) but with the new 144hz IPS panels, no reason to mess with the Korean knock offs if you have the cash.

Oh I'm looking at a monitor upgrade this year most likely. I got this screen when I was out of work and my old one died. At the time, it was a solid buy and the picture is stellar on it to my eyes.

One thing at a time, and within the budget though. ;)

Oh I'm looking at a monitor upgrade this year most likely. I got this screen when I was out of work and my old one died. At the time, it was a solid buy and the picture is stellar on it to my eyes.

One thing at a time, and within the budget though. ;)

Lol. You blew $2400 on titan x and then dropped budget on me. Hahaha.

Lol. You blew $2400 on titan x and then dropped budget on me. Hahaha.

Well, at the time I had the $2400 and figured I'd get the cards to use for now while planning out the new screen that I wasn't sure on. :)

So in the meantime I've been able to use them and enjoy them and once I get the screen it'll be even more "wow". ;)

I usually budget out 1 big ass expenditure a year... maybe 2... this year its a screen for sure.

Well, at the time I had the $2400 and figured I'd get the cards to use for now while planning out the new screen that I wasn't sure on. :)

So in the meantime I've been able to use them and enjoy them and once I get the screen it'll be even more "wow". ;)

I usually budget out 1 big ass expenditure a year... maybe 2... this year its a screen for sure.
May I recommend 4K hdr 144hz. That will be around 3k probably. Hahahaha. I can maximize your expenditure for this year. Lol. But I don't know if such monitor will come out this year? I can't wait to see lol

Reactions: Damar
like this

There aren't even rumors of a tape-out yet. And it generally takes 5-7 months after tape-out to launch. November 2017 is literally the earliest it could launch if a engineering sample manifest to India shows up next week.

There aren't even rumors of a tape-out yet. And it generally takes 5-7 months after tape-out to launch. November 2017 is literally the earliest it could launch if a engineering sample manifest to India shows up next week.

GV100 have been taped out and even in drivers for months.

Being assigned a device ID doesn't mean it's been taped out. Googling reveals no reports of a Volta tape out.

I can guarantee you GV100 have taped out and it was last year.
SC_Carousel_678x452.jpg

Last edited:
But then there's the lag between GV100/102 being taped out, being harvested for Tesla/Quadro compute parts, and then actually being sold to the general public as a Titan/Geforce.

But then there's the lag between GV100/102 being taped out, being harvested for Tesla/Quadro compute parts, and then actually being sold to the general public as a Titan/Geforce.

How did that go for GP100/102?

Remember there was GP100 (limited initially core clients' contractual projects) and followed pretty promptly by GP104 (1080FE and 1070FE).
GV100 should be mid-late summer for the core clients' contracts/projects as previously expected, and we know Volta Tegra (Xavier) is on track as Nvidia has been quoted to say it will be in sampling status with major customers late Q3/early Q4.
So everything is on schedule it seems for expected parts this year - albeit and worth noting due to the size of the most well known project Summit, even though this project hardware starts this year it will not go live with general users until early 2018 - serious amount of project milestones and processes involved.

And the Titan Pascal launched 2 months earlier than the Quadro P6000 (GP102 like Titan) due to saving the full die for enterprise/HPC - probably will do the same again where they will launch the cut core Titan Volta and then later launch the full core Titan at similar time to the Volta 2080ti.

Those others commenting about no sign of Volta/does not exist yet within Nvidia.
Ah man I remember the exact same thing said about P100 even after it was introduced at gpu technology conference and some laughing that Nvidia had only wooden screws and just air for product/reports Nvidia would not have HBM2/reports Nvidia had technical issues with HBM/etc.
That did not stop it launching at the time they expected; we were offered full DGX-1 in Q3 with 1-week turnaround, and a certified elite providor node (again full P100 setup) in Q4 with 3 days turnaround...
It was there for core client supercomputer/specific HPC client projects before Q3.

So those who are skeptical I suggest remember all the negatives mentioned about the P100 and also Pascal when presented at GPU technology conference last year and afterwards by some sites (bitsandchips, semi-accurate,etc) and various forums.
And Nvidia shocked everyone by showing they could launch a full 600mm2 die straight away on a new shrink node combined with multiple new technologies such as HBM2 and true unified memory/NVLink/etc.
Their 2nd GPU launched was the 1080 and that is not exactly the smallest die around itself, AMD had to do the reverse approach.
Cheers

Last edited:
Volta server end chips will be out not consumer. Consumer is 2018. Server is always sold first because they make the most money off that.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Volta server end chips will be out not consumer. Consumer is 2018. Server is always sold first because they make the most money off that.
That is what most who disagreed with the few of us kept saying until they read latest rumours reporting Nvidia has moved it up to Q3 2017 for the 1st consumer product.....
And the 1st product is of course GV100 just like it was with Pascal and the P100, but importantly that was followed up by the GP104 (could be argued consumer GP104 actually launched in terms of availability before Pascal Tesla P100 HPC/server)).
GV100 should be mid-late summer.

I still do not think it is Q3 for consumer (if it was to me that would likely be a paper launch), but reinforces the reasons some of us have explained in the past why it is probable to be Q4 for GV104 latest.

Cheers

Last edited:
Fuck. Looks like lowered settings for me it is.

Upside is now I can get started on a custom WC loop.

Really? I think you might just have fallen for some advertising there.
Shintai makes shit up all the time. Pay little attention to his claims. I have called him out on his BS several times

That is what most who disagreed with the few of us kept saying until they read latest rumours reporting Nvidia has moved it up to Q3 2017 for the 1st consumer product.....
And the 1st product is of course GV100 just like it was with Pascal and the P100, but importantly that was followed up by the GP104 (could be argued consumer GP104 actually launched in terms of availability before Pascal Tesla P100 HPC/server)).
GV100 should be mid-late summer.

I still do not think it is Q3 for consumer (if it was to me that would likely be a paper launch), but reinforces the reasons some of us have explained in the past why it is probable to be Q4 for GV104 latest.

Cheers

those rumors never claimed consumer. They were broad blank statements on volta...so not consumer.

True, but look at the recent gains going from Titan XP --> 1080Ti --> Titan Xp, all being marketed as Halo products... That trend could be called the 5% Milk-aling...

that is a dumb dishonest comparison. You look at architecture releases period.

Last edited:
those rumors never claimed consumer. They were broad blank statements on volta...so not consumer.

Now we have Hynix stating a high end graphics card with GDDR6 coming out in early 2018, that fits with nV's timelines of 1.5 years for Volta performance cards.

And they could easily coax 14Gbps out of GDDR6, which is nearly the same bandwidth as the original Titan X 384-bit GDDR5X.

Now we have Hynix stating a high end graphics card with GDDR6 coming out in early 2018, that fits with nV's timelines of 1.5 years for Volta performance cards.

I am scratching my head here. When we had this conversation before you said late 2017 wil be 1.5 years and that is how nvidia goes. Now early 2018 is 1.5 years. How does that exactly make sense? It will be almost 2 years. There is nothing wrong with that and it makes sense since nvidia would have Volta out for deep learning field like they did with pascal and 6 months or so later they will announce high performance consumer Volta parts just like they did with pascal. So we are looking at 2 year upgrade cycle now. Late 2017 is 1.5 years not early 2018.

If mass production starts Q1 2018 vice earlier, sounds like Q2 2018 for the product to hit the shelves:
" SK Hynix has been planning to mass produce the product for a client to release high-end graphics card by early 2018 equipped with high performance GDDR6 DRAMs."
Some may take it as client is going to release Q1 which Hynix would not really know, I read it Hynix is planning to mass produce 16gbps per pin stuff Q1 2018. Which would give consumer Volta a Q2 launch date. Otherwise Hynix would indicate Q4 mass production. This makes the Q3/Q4 2017 consumer Volta launch BS as far as I can tell. Also looks like Nvidia will not have consumer HBM2 high end stuff meaning the midrange and lower cards will keep the traditional configurations. I guess if you have a winning combination why change it. That is not pushing the industry forward for the consumer. The HPC stuff is as well as the AI stuff Nvidia has been pioneering. Now I really do hope Vega kicks Nvidia's ass here to really push forward.

If mass production starts Q1 2018 vice earlier, sounds like Q2 2018 for the product to hit the shelves:
" SK Hynix has been planning to mass produce the product for a client to release high-end graphics card by early 2018 equipped with high performance GDDR6 DRAMs."
Some may take it as client is going to release Q1 which Hynix would not really know, I read it Hynix is planning to mass produce 16gbps per pin stuff Q1 2018. Which would give consumer Volta a Q2 launch date. Otherwise Hynix would indicate Q4 mass production. This makes the Q3/Q4 2017 consumer Volta launch BS as far as I can tell. Also looks like Nvidia will not have consumer HBM2 high end stuff meaning the midrange and lower cards will keep the traditional configurations. I guess if you have a winning combination why change it. That is not pushing the industry forward for the consumer. The HPC stuff is as well as the AI stuff Nvidia has been pioneering. Now I really do hope Vega kicks Nvidia's ass here to really push forward.
what i think is likely is Titan with HBM Q1 and 2080 Q2 with GDDR6 Q2 and 2080TI Q2/Q3 with HBM

Really? I think you might just have fallen for some advertising there.

If GV100 wasn't taped out, it wouldn't be released before summer 2018 or later. Yet we know HPC products go online with it in 2017. GP100 was taped out in summer 2015 or before.

Shintai makes shit up all the time. Pay little attention to his claims. I have called him out on his BS several times.

Try an argument instead of posting shit :)

what i think is likely is Titan with HBM Q1 and 2080 Q2 with GDDR6 Q2 and 2080TI Q2/Q3 with HBM

HBM is dead, it first died to GDDR5X and then wiped out with GDDR6. HBM is only used where ECC is a requirement, else its a joke. So unless its a GP100/GV100 card you want see HBM. And if you lack a big ass statement about it. Then look no further than GP102.

Back