GeForce 20 series to be released this year (Volta)

if you are already willing to jump from 1070 to 1080 ti means you are ready to upgarde within same generation of cards. Get the 1080ti and upgrade to volta. There is a reason Nvidia will release this, like I said buyers such as you will continue to upgrade. They are like apple of graphics cards. No matter what people will upgrade lol.
The irony of this statement, is that 1070 to 1080ti performance delta is bigger than 770 to 780ti or 970 to 980ti.

Reactions: Caedo
like this
Well at least nVidia gives people a reason to upgrade, wish I could say the same thing for AMD.

True it's not really nvidia's fault. It's that I bet some people are selling their titans and buying new ones for bragging rights. Which I think is nvidia knowing and executing well to milk every dollar from its high end market while they can. Lol.

The irony of this statement, is that 1070 to 1080ti performance delta is bigger than 770 to 780ti or 970 to 980ti.
True but why would a buyer buy a 1070 and then upgrade to 1080 ti when there was 1080 to be had for better performanc way before if performance was the main thing you know.

True but why would a buyer buy a 1070 and then upgrade to 1080 ti when there was 1080 to be had for better performanc way before if performance was the main thing you know.

The "Ti" has value behind the branding? You know, get the Ti Nvidia card if you want the best performance/price or some shit like that.

Reactions: NKD
like this
Now I'm conflicted. Currently have a 1070 and almost gonna jump on that 1080Ti. But if Volta comes around Q4 2017 then that makes the decision a lot more difficult.

:cry:

Though it'll probably be at least a year until consumer Volta comes out. Decisions decisions...

I would only expect the GV104 to launch in Q4 and not any others, so at best the Volta 2080 will be as fast as the 1080ti but with other differentiations such as 8GB vs 11GB, although Volta will have some new tech and a further evolved architecture.
Depends if you can wait that long for a performance at best similar to the now 1080ti, albeit with more forward looking tech solution.

TBH I am in the same boat and just decided to wait for Volta as I also want to wait for the good monitors with HDR/OLED equivalent also out later in the year.
Cheers

Now I'm conflicted. Currently have a 1070 and almost gonna jump on that 1080Ti. But if Volta comes around Q4 2017 then that makes the decision a lot more difficult.

:cry:

Though it'll probably be at least a year until consumer Volta comes out. Decisions decisions...
Always buy the top tier card and you won't face this dilemma ever again. If you buy the 1080 Ti you probably won't have to worry about the Volta Ti being released for another 18 months, and once you do you'll still be on a 1.5-2 year upgrade cycle. You just have to pick when you want to make that jump.

I would only expect the GV104 to launch in Q4 and not any others, so at best the Volta 2080 will be as fast as the 1080ti but with other differentiations such as 8GB vs 11GB, although Volta will have some new tech and a further evolved architecture.
Depends if you can wait that long for a performance at best similar to the now 1080ti, albeit with more forward looking tech solution.

TBH I am in the same boat and just decided to wait for Volta as I also want to wait for the good monitors with HDR/OLED equivalent also out later in the year.
Cheers

I'm torn because Phillips also just released a 32" 144Hz 1080p MVA curved gaming monitor, which to me seems like a good idea. Worst case I DSR 1440p on it if it's too pixelated.

And it has FreeSync as well. Looks like a real nice package for not much money lol.

Always buy the top tier card and you won't face this dilemma ever again. If you buy the 1080 Ti you probably won't have to worry about the Volta Ti being released for another 18 months, and once you do you'll still be on a 1.5-2 year upgrade cycle. You just have to pick when you want to make that jump.

Never had the need before. Was stuck on 1080p60 until just recently. Thought the 1070 will do just fine with 144/120FPS, but apparently not. Many games are stuck around the 100 mark, which annoys me a little.

I'm torn because Phillips also just released a 32" 144Hz 1080p MVA curved gaming monitor...

Where are the 32'' 4k VA monitors though? I've been waiting forever for one that's usable, so far only two models, one apparently pretty awful, one mediocre.

Solid advice. I remember I sprung for a 670 and it was still expensive. But I upgraded way soon than when I did after I bought a 980. Now I am 6 months into having a 1080 and have no real reason to need to upgrade, 1080ti is exciting to see but my card is still so good. Volta will be exciting too but 1.5 year or 2 years is a good upgrade cycle and thats why I always buy flagships when they come out

like this
I went from SLI 970 to 1080 (I consciously avoided the 980 because 970 was far too close to the 980 in everyway to warrant the prices, even with the 3.5+0.5 fiasco), but I think my next GPU will not be 2080, but rather 2080ti or possibly volta Titan, depending on whether it's a full fat chip straight away (like Maxwell Titan X) or not and its performance delta to 2080.

I went from SLI 970 to 1080 (I consciously avoided the 980 because 970 was far too close to the 980 in everyway to warrant the prices, even with the 3.5+0.5 fiasco), but I think my next GPU will not be 2080, but rather 2080ti or possibly volta Titan, depending on whether it's a full fat chip straight away (like Maxwell Titan X) or not and its performance delta to 2080.

The rumor is with Market slowing down nvidia is rushing volta to market to price it even higher than 1080 founders edition was to increase margins even with slowing sales. It makes sense because if Volta lets is double the performance of 1080 get ready to have a 799 price tag for starting price on it.

799 for 2080 at double the performance at 1080 isn't actually that expensive when you compare 1080 to 980 at $699 TBH.

But chances are I probably won't upgrade to 2080 because so far, with the games I play, 1080 hasn't been a big limiting factor. I bought 1080 primarily because a lot more games ran poorly on a 970, and I had other issues with that 970 and my monitor arrangement that it was really annoying me.

My main reason to upgrade to Volta, right now, would be for the 4k/144hz monitors, if Volta is indeed 2x Pascal performance, I'd actually be more willing to pay more for the GPU, especially if they are powerful enough to drive the monitor.

Besides, it's not like any of us are really FORCED into buying upgrades, can always vote with our wallets if we don't like the price hiking of GPUs, but all things considered, I didn't think the price hike of Pascal was THAT unreasonable, because the jump from Maxwell to Pascal is bigger than Kepler to Maxwell. I found the 1080 asking price relative to the 1070 to be a whole lot more reasonable than 980 was to 970, when all things are considered.

799 for 2080 at double the performance at 1080 isn't actually that expensive when you compare 1080 to 980 at $699 TBH.

But chances are I probably won't upgrade to 2080 because so far, with the games I play, 1080 hasn't been a big limiting factor. I bought 1080 primarily because a lot more games ran poorly on a 970, and I had other issues with that 970 and my monitor arrangement that it was really annoying me.

My main reason to upgrade to Volta, right now, would be for the 4k/144hz monitors, if Volta is indeed 2x Pascal performance, I'd actually be more willing to pay more for the GPU, especially if they are powerful enough to drive the monitor.

Besides, it's not like any of us are really FORCED into buying upgrades, can always vote with our wallets if we don't like the price hiking of GPUs, but all things considered, I didn't think the price hike of Pascal was THAT unreasonable, because the jump from Maxwell to Pascal is bigger than Kepler to Maxwell. I found the 1080 asking price relative to the 1070 to be a whole lot more reasonable than 980 was to 970, when all things are considered.

I was totally exaggerating double the performance part. We used to expect more performance for similar or less price with new cards. Now its okay to pay more and more for newer cards for more performance? Every two years we would get an upgrade for same price or less we paid for the one we are upgrading from. I don't like this idea of having my wallet raped every year nvidia increases prices on their cards. Sorry eventually they would lose my interest. Before we used to wait and pay the same high end price for better performance, no its not okay to increase the price every year buy 100 or 200 just because.

We used to expect more performance for similar or less price with new cards
And that you get, still. Instead of highest end SKU it is now lower high end ones, true, but does it really change anything?

And that you get, still. Instead of highest end SKU it is now lower high end ones, true, but does it really change anything?

Really lower high end one? lol. So 980 goes to 1080 and a price bump. 1080 goes to 2080 and another price jump is justified? I don't remember things going down that road before 1080 release. 980 launched at 549, 1080 at 699. At what point price jump is too much? I guess never. Shit even iphones don't have this sort of pricing lol. Its just because of competition and nvidia knows no matter what fanboys will come buy and spend those dollars.

699 seems the max price target for the moment. GTX780Ti was 699 too for example.

But as transistor cost isn't going down for GPU makers, expect someone to pay for it. We already have 1 GPU maker that cant afford to do the releases they else would.

I was totally exaggerating double the performance part. We used to expect more performance for similar or less price with new cards. Now its okay to pay more and more for newer cards for more performance? Every two years we would get an upgrade for same price or less we paid for the one we are upgrading from. I don't like this idea of having my wallet raped every year nvidia increases prices on their cards. Sorry eventually they would lose my interest. Before we used to wait and pay the same high end price for better performance, no its not okay to increase the price every year buy 100 or 200 just because.

Actually, I was more 'fine' with Pascal's asking price than Maxwell's.

Talking relative performance jumps, you get more %/$ going from Maxwell to Pascal than you did from Kepler to Maxwell.

Really lower high end one? lol. So 980 goes to 1080 and a price bump. 1080 goes to 2080 and another price jump is justified? I don't remember things going down that road before 1080 release. 980 launched at 549, 1080 at 699. At what point price jump is too much? I guess never. Shit even iphones don't have this sort of pricing lol. Its just because of competition and nvidia knows no matter what fanboys will come buy and spend those dollars.
I am not keen on the price increases, especially with what is being seen with the 1060 refresh.
But consider this with the jump from 980 to 1080.
- More expensive memory in 1080 with the recent (at time) GDDR5X
- Double the RAM (costs again)
- 50% more transistors
- 25% more cores/texture units
- Node shrink and the only GPU manufacturer to launch to date GPU this die size or larger
- Performance jump
- R&D for this GPU generation that goes beyond the actual visible HW

Yeah some of these apply to each generation and influence price jump, but importantly some will increase that price by more relative to previous gen.
I agree we are going to see an early price jump with the Volta consumer GPU but this will come down, and we do not know if the initial msrp jump will be as comparable to what we saw with Maxwell to Pascal and could be better.
Cheers

Last edited:
I wish they would do away with the Founders Edition cards maybe give them Dual fans instead of just one fan.
People would more likley to buy them right off the bat rather then wait 2 months for the lift off period.

I wish they would do away with the Founders Edition cards maybe give them Dual fans instead of just one fan.
People would more likley to buy them right off the bat rather then wait 2 months for the lift off period.

A blower card is essential for many design, including OEMs. It would be a direct fail without.

Maybe they could have two fans on the card blowing air in two different directions.
Origin PC is like the only people I really see using the Founders edition in their slim builds.

I lost you the moment you mentioned 1080 Fool's Edition.

Besides, as was said, perf per bux increases still. If that does not satisfy your requirements, wait for 2 gens instead of one.

I lost you the moment you mentioned 1080 Fool's Edition.

Besides, as was said, perf per bux increases still. If that does not satisfy your requirements, wait for 2 gens instead of one.

What you don't get it my point that each new release prices didn't increase like this before. Nothing you say is justifies that for nvidia. It's pure money grab due to no competition. Nothing else. The fools edition was the price leader. How long did you have to wait before you saw the prices 599? As far as I remember all AIBs priced their cards above 650. I don't remember anything close to 599 until few months after launch.

The market justifies it. Simple as that. Don't like the price then don't buy it. They sold a ton of them so your opinion matters not.

The market justifies it. Simple as that. Don't like the price then don't buy it. They sold a ton of them so your opinion matters not.

money is none issue for me. I bought a 1080 I bought it for 469 recently. I am not a crazy fan boy who likes to throw money away. I am the first one to know my opinions doesn't matter shit. I voice my opinion. Nvidia doesn't take that away from me. i refused to give them more for the founders edition crap they pulled. Paper price of 599 that wasn't available for months after launch. Give me a break. Just because you have no competition doesn't mean you say it's 599 and then drop founders edition crap for 699.

Last edited:
money is none issue for me. I bought a 1080 I bought it for 469 recently. I am not a crazy fan boy who likes to throw money away. I am the first one to know my opinions doesn't matter shit. I voice my opinion. Nvidia doesn't take that away from me. i refused to give them more for the founders edition crap they pulled. Paper price of 599 that wasn't available for months after launch. Give me a break. Just because you have no competition doesn't mean you say it's 599 and then drop founders edition crap for 699.

All I'm saying is your broad brush calling people who bought FE 1080s fanboys is BS. Some people buy performance and they will pay the price until it is too much to pay. You reached your limit, but LOTS of people didn't. That doesn't make them fools. Far to many people like you want to put your value judgements on other people.

But the lack of competition was the problem here. I didn't like the 1080 FE situation myself buy I bought two of them because I was still on 680s at the time. Fortunately the situation for the 1080 Ti FE was better. But nVidia is simply kicking ass at the high end right now because AMD isn't doing anything. It sucks but AMD has been out of the high end for a year now?

like this
2 weeks after 1080 customs release you could find some for as low as $610. Happy?

Yea customs could be had for 610+ but it is absolutely not true they were available within two weeks. Trust me I looked to say you could have custom 1080 within two weeks for 610 is just not correct. There was too much price gauging going on to begin with. Heck all we could find for first 2, 3 weeks were founder edition cards. Yea they were announced with in two weeks but ones close to 600 range weren't available for a while.

But the lack of competition was the problem here. I didn't like the 1080 FE situation myself buy I bought two of them because I was still on 680s at the time. Fortunately the situation for the 1080 Ti FE was better. But nVidia is simply kicking ass at the high end right now because AMD isn't doing anything. It sucks but AMD has been out of the high end for a year now?
True.

Common scenario: Bought a gently used 1070 for cheap ($300-320), found it couldn't drive their display and/or resolution of choice, 1080 Ti launches and benchmarks show it could, flipped for the Ti. Hell, this was almost exactly my scenario before finding a Ti for fairly cheap as I'm about to get a 1070.

If you can get a 1080 Ti now for 6 bills or less, it'd be silly not to go ahead and snag it even if you were waiting for Volta. You'll be able to recoup all or most of the cost when the new card does launch and you'll have the performance of the best single card available in the meanwhile.

I did use the unsure smiley. ;) Thank you for clarifying that detail.

Like you, I do believe consumer Volta is landing this year (I am leaning towards end of/beginning of Q2/Q3).

It looks like I was optimistic at Q2/Q3 but I did say this year. ;)

Yea customs could be had for 610+ but it is absolutely not true they were available within two weeks. Trust me I looked to say you could have custom 1080 within two weeks for 610 is just not correct. There was too much price gauging going on to begin with. Heck all we could find for first 2, 3 weeks were founder edition cards. Yea they were announced with in two weeks but ones close to 600 range weren't available for a while.
They were most certainly available within two weeks as I bought an EVGA ACX cooled 1080 on June 7 which was 10 days after the official launch of May 27. And I had been looking at other models during that time too.

They were most certainly available within two weeks as I bought an EVGA ACX cooled 1080 on June 7 which was 11 days after the official launch. And I had been looking at other models during that time too.

No doubt. But we all know for a fact how hard they were to get. I am sure people who were determined to get one did so. But his comment was they were available for 610. It was a while before you could find anything for near $599 price tag.

No doubt. But we all know for a fact how hard they were to get. I am sure people who were determined to get one did so. But his comment was they were available for 610. It was a while before you could find anything for near $599 price tag.
Well certainly not widely available but again I had no trouble finding some AIB cards in stock over several days before finally deciding on the ACX model for $628 which also included the cost of shipping.

But his comment was they were available for 610. It was a while before you could find anything for near $599 price tag.
I just recite one of price tags that was marked with available at random point of time few weeks after partner card launch. During that time you certainly needed some determination to get them, of course, because those were getting sniped in mere seconds.

Last edited:
The biggest question for me is.. Buy a 1080GTX now or wait Vega annoucment at computex. Not that I want to buy an AMD GPU, but I have the feeling Nvidia it's hard at work to counter AMD next gen GPU. In my opinion AMD teaser "Poor Volta(ge)" it's a clear indication that they are going after Nvidia next gen architecture rather the current one.. Or else they will look like total idiots!!!

Anyway.. Do you guys think that buying a 1080 now(1year old GPU) is a good idea or should I just wait a little longer for volta?

The biggest question for me is.. Buy a 1080GTX now or wait Vega annoucment at computex. Not that I want to buy an AMD GPU, but I have the feeling Nvidia it's hard at work topreoare a counter move against AMD next gen GPU. In my opinion AMD teaser "Poor Volta(ge)" it's a clear indication that they are going after Nvidia next gen architecture rather the current one.. Or else they will look like total idiots!!!

Anyway.. Do you guys think that buying a 1080 now(1year old GPU) is a good idea or should I just wait a little longer for a refresh?
If you need a 1080 now then get a 1080 now. So far Vega appears to be only slightly faster than a 1080 in best case scenario such as Doom using Vulkan. And there is no way they can price much lower than the 1080 with all the tech it packs.

Back