GeForce 2 ultra

bob

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 13, 2002
Messages
2,971
I have a GeForce 2 ultra, and pricewatch had it listed at 148$ a few months ago, while geforce 4 mx cards at wallmart are about 60$. Also, ive had mine overclocked to a little over 500mhz for a year now and it hasnt crashed in any games.

my computer is an msi-6167 with a 500mhz athlon, 229,000kb ram. So far, it could play gta3, gtavice city, command and conquer generals, warcraft III without any lag on the high graphics setting. Mafia is the only game it runs like a turtle in.

how does this card compare to others?
 

Oldwolf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
437
A GeForce 2 at 500mhz? Are you sure it's a GF-2 card??? I had the MX-400 and there was no way I could get the settings that high even with Coolbits and nVHardPage activations. Maybe you mean 200mhz? I ran mine at 233 w/ a peltier cooler and although it ran great, I didn't like not being able to access some of the benchmarking tools.

Read my forum post about my upgrade to the 256mb Gainward FX5700. I got it from PcClub and the card is so much better than my old GF-2.
 

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
359
eerm, a gefore 2 ultra runs at 250 core / 460 mem
for 148 dollars you can buy a radeon 9600
what other graphics card you comparing it to?
Try running 3dmark 2003 on your geforce 2 ultra and see how many points it gets :D
 

neisius

Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2004
Messages
783
I paid $500 for a gf2 ultra like 4 years ago, should be like $20 now.
And you don't have yours running at 500mhz core...maybe 500mhz on the mem.

vanquished said:
eerm, a gefore 2 ultra runs at 250 core / 460 mem
for 148 dollars you can buy a radeon 9600
what other graphics card you comparing it to?
Try running 3dmark 2003 on your geforce 2 ultra and see how many points it gets :D
I think I got 400-600 points in 3dmark2003 with my overclocked gf2 ultra :eek:
But I can play UT2004 and farcry :-P

9800pro coming in a day or 2 :D
 

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
11,293
I had a Creative Labs GeForce2 Ultra that did 312/515 ..was a kick butt card in its day .. still going strong (at stock speeds tho) in my sisters comp
 

bob

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 13, 2002
Messages
2,971
3dmark 2001 gave me 1706 marks, with 384mb of ram, 500mhz cpu, 100mhz fsb and the geforce2 ultra. and it was the memory that was clocked at 500mhz, the core was clocked to 300.

if i buy a new computer, i was wondering if i should keep this one
 

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
359
I don't think that you should keep your Geforce 2. It is after all, 4 generations behind and lacks any sort of DX9 functions. Get a 9800 pro if you're short on money or a 6800 GT if you're not
 

archevilangel

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2003
Messages
1,824
that card is geforce 4 mx/fx5200 class, it should be fine for very very light gaming, but don't expect miracles out of it.
 

lopoetve

Fully [H]
Joined
Oct 11, 2001
Messages
32,214
bob said:
3dmark 2001 gave me 1706 marks, with 384mb of ram, 500mhz cpu, 100mhz fsb and the geforce2 ultra. and it was the memory that was clocked at 500mhz, the core was clocked to 300.

if i buy a new computer, i was wondering if i should keep this one

We're getting 21,000 on 3dmark 2001 most of the time now with the new cards. the 9800s will get 10 times your score.
 

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
359
lopoetve said:
We're getting 21,000 on 3dmark 2001 most of the time now with the new cards. the 9800s will get 10 times your score.

That sums it up really. Time to get a new card!
 

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 19, 2000
Messages
4,180
3dmark will give no such score with his pc. guys, his card isn't lightning, but might the 500mhz cpu, 100mhz fsb have alot to do with that? i'd actually like to see how the gf2 ultra would do in a current system. i bet it'd get over at least 5k in 3dmark2001. an integrated gf4mx xp2500+ system i built for a client got 4700 in 3dmark and that uses shared ram!

imo, with such a lousy system, the first purchase (if you're trying to stay cheap) should be an athlon xp (mobile if oc'ing) and nforce2 mb. that would cost about $160, probably provide even more of a gaming boost than a new video card, and have the added benefit of speeding up windows like crazy

edit: actually, budget $250 since you'll need memory as well. an extra $90 will get you 512mb of good ram
 

lopoetve

Fully [H]
Joined
Oct 11, 2001
Messages
32,214
dualblade said:
3dmark will give no such score with his pc. guys, his card isn't lightning, but might the 500mhz cpu, 100mhz fsb have alot to do with that? i'd actually like to see how the gf2 ultra would do in a current system. i bet it'd get over at least 5k in 3dmark2001. an integrated gf4mx xp2500+ system i built for a client got 4700 in 3dmark and that uses shared ram!

No way it would get 5k in 2001. Not DX8 part. You'd get ~2.5-3k. I had an equal card in that era, before my GF3.
 

neisius

Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2004
Messages
783
lopoetve said:
No way it would get 5k in 2001. Not DX8 part. You'd get ~2.5-3k. I had an equal card in that era, before my GF3.
I did this run of 2001 right before I swaped cards earlyer this week.

GF2 Ultra at 275/490
-AF 2x
-Image setting = "quality"
-Vsync on
3DMark2001SE = 3763

I know that's not how to test for the highest score but those were the settings I used to play at so that's want I wanted to test.
 

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
11,293
lopoetve said:
No way it would get 5k in 2001. Not DX8 part. You'd get ~2.5-3k. I had an equal card in that era, before my GF3.
I got over 5k with my ultra ..barely over it anyways
 

lopoetve

Fully [H]
Joined
Oct 11, 2001
Messages
32,214
neisius said:
I did this run of 2001 right before I swaped cards earlyer this week.

GF2 Ultra at 275/490
-AF 2x
-Image setting = "quality"
-Vsync on
3DMark2001SE = 3763

I know that's not how to test for the highest score but those were the settings I used to play at so that's want I wanted to test.

I ran my OC GF2 Pro right before I got the GF3 and got 2900... Must have improved the drivers some.
 

Krazy_Joe

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
472
bob said:
I have a GeForce 2 ultra, and pricewatch had it listed at 148$ a few months ago, while geforce 4 mx cards at wallmart are about 60$. Also, ive had mine overclocked to a little over 500mhz for a year now and it hasnt crashed in any games.

my computer is an msi-6167 with a 500mhz athlon, 229,000kb ram. So far, it could play gta3, gtavice city, command and conquer generals, warcraft III without any lag on the high graphics setting. Mafia is the only game it runs like a turtle in.

how does this card compare to others?

Forget the video card, you need a new PC lol :eek:
 

arentol

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
2,712
bob said:
I have a GeForce 2 ultra, and pricewatch had it listed at 148$ a few months ago,

Really? Because it hasn't been that high priced in about 2 years.

I think you are mistaken because by todays standards that card is a worthless. Heck, 2 years ago the Radeon 8500 was outperforming it by 50% and only cost $150 at the time. I really doubt you saw that price. Chances are you misread something.
 
Top