GeForce 2 GTS 32mb

xeefus

Limp Gawd
Hello!

I was wondering what GPU voltage this old AGP-graphics card has got. It's AGP 4X I believe.

Ohh... My lil brother just got his new computer parts which I ordered for him, and I'm building his computer right now... I saw a sign on the mobo which said "DO NOT USE 3.3V AGP CARDS OR YOU MAY CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE TO THE MAINBOARD". So I just wondered if it was safe to use it... But it seems like it's "3-pins" (not pins but, those things you connect to the mobo), so it should be safe?

If the card fits into the agp slot with relative ease and you don't have to force it into the slot or anything it should be fine.

Assuming it really is a universal AGP card and not one of the fake ones, then yes.

A long time ago there were some out of spec AGP 2.0 (2x/4x) cards that fried motherboards.

It's one of those ASRock ULI-939Dual-SATA2 mobos for socket 939, we couldn't quite afford a new gfx card for christmas so he had to go with his old one. Is it AGP 2.0 on this card you think? I heard it's going to be 1.5V with AGP 2.0 (4x)...

the GeForce 2 GTS cards were 3.3v cards

Ohh... That sucks... Does it mean he has to use one of those PCI-cards that won't even run Warcraft 3 which I got him from christmas? :( Atleast until he gets his new one at his birthday (he does not browse this forums ;))

Mtnduey said:
the GeForce 2 GTS cards were 3.3v cards
The NV15 was an AGP 2.0 compliant chip, supporting both 3.3v and 1.5v I/O. It is probably possible to find some 3.3v GF2 GTS cards, but most were universal to fit in AGP2x and AGP4x slots. I had one years ago that worked fine in a 1.5v AGP 4x slot.

xeefus said:
Ohh... That sucks... Does it mean he has to use one of those PCI-cards that won't even run Warcraft 3 which I got him from christmas? :( Atleast until he gets his new one at his birthday (he does not browse this forums ;))
He's wrong. Read my reply to his post above.

pxc said:
The NV15 was an AGP 2.0 compliant chip, supporting both 3.3v and 1.5v I/O. It is probably possible to find some 3.3v GF2 GTS cards, but most were universal to fit in AGP2x and AGP4x slots. I had one years ago that worked fine in a 1.5v AGP 4x slot.

Hmm, I'm a little bit cautious (is that the right word?) about it though... I really need to make sure because I don't wanna toast his mobo. :(
Is there any way I can see which voltage it has got?

xeefus said:
Hmm, I'm a little bit cautious (is that the right word?) about it though... I really need to make sure because I don't wanna toast his mobo. :(
Is there any way I can see which voltage it has got?
99.x% of cards keyed for universal slots support 3.3v/1.8v operation. Around the time of the i845/i850 chipset rollout, the first chipset to exclude 3.3v AGP cards, some sites had a list of incompatible cards. There was a flawed method of testing one slot contact on the card to ground, but it was 90% inaccurate. Very, very few cards keyed for universal connectors (mostly oddball ones like SiS and pre-AGP 2.0 chips) are incompatible with a 1.8v motherboard.

You can be 100% sure by asking the manufacturer of the card. There should be some identification of a manufacturer on a sticker.

edit: i found the link http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2001/agp4x_update_e/

The MSI Starforce 820 32 MB GeForce2 GTS is on the known good list at VHJ.

and here's a list of known bad cards, unsurprisingly all but the Kyro 2 pre-date AGP 2.0 (AGP 4x):
Diamond Stealth III s540 Extreme (Savage 4)
ATI Rage Fury Maxx - Rage 128 pro
Elsa Erazor III (TNT2)
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (Kyro)
SIS 305 32MB
Diamond Viper II z200 Savage 2000
Diamond Viper v770 (TNT2 Ultra)
VideoLogic Vivid! XS (Kyro II)

Oh well. It's an ASRock! I can try tomorrow, you sound really convincing :)

Back