Geforce 1080 or Voodoo 1080? (VOTE)

Geforce 1080 or Voodoo 1080

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh man, I had a Voodoo back in the day. I believe it had a whopping 64MB of vRam :D

No need to re-brand, they just need to resell one of these Quantum3D Mercury's (8x 3dfx Voodoo2): :D

mercury.jpg

3dfx_Voodoo_2_Quantum3D_Mercury_8-Chip_96-Mb_2.jpg

Just call it The 1080.

It would make for some grammatically awkward sentences. I can just see it now. *Salivation*

Everyone knows X comes after 9. GeForce GTX X80Ti and GTX X Titan XX.

The human eye can't see beyond 16-bit colour.

There is a huge visual difference between 16-bit color and 24/32-bit color.
I noticed this was a visual limitation back in 1999, and how you don't in 2015 is beyond me. :confused:

Oh man, I had a Voodoo back in the day. I believe it had a whopping 64MB of vRam :D

Must have been a Voodoo5 5500?

Back in that era, I had it narrowed down to the same Voodoo5 5500 64MB or the GeForce2 Pro 64MB. After reading reviews, the GF2P was the clear winner in every test, so I went with that. I think I paid $240 for it, even though the V5-5500 was right around $200, iirc.

There is a huge visual difference between 16-bit color and 24/32-bit color.
I noticed this was a visual limitation back in 1999, and how you don't in 2015 is beyond me. :confused:
For those playing along at home, this was a stab at people who keep parroting that the human eye can't see beyond 30 FPS, even though our eyes don't see in frames. It was a joke in the same vein, as 3dfx for a long time refused to add true 24-bit color support to their hardware.

Everyone knows X comes after 9. GeForce GTX X80Ti and GTX X Titan XX.
In the computer world, A comes after 9 ;).

The Voodoo moniker bears no meaning any longer. At best you pique the interest of a handful of older enthusiasts who then go on to remember that 3DFx failed.

The Voodoo moniker bears no meaning any longer. At best you pique the interest of a handful of older enthusiasts who then go on to remember that 3DFx failed.

Yup basically it brings back memories for us dinosaurs but means little to nothing for millennials.

Voodoo is too old to be recognizable by younger people.
You guys are talking about the late 90s like it was 2 years ago...

Except 3DFX didn't fail because their products weren't any good.

I say they should revive the Voodoo name, and I'd argue that the target market for nVidia's top end consumer product probably isn't too young to remember the 3DFX Voodoo products fondly.

I'm 32. I was too young to be able to buy a 3DFX card back when they were hot shit, but I remember desperately wanting one.

Suffice to say that a video card called a Voodoo is definitely something I'd be open to, especially if it happened to be the fastest card on the market.

My user name was based on all the 3DFX cards I owned. Although my first one was a Voodoo 2 by Diamond Monster. The Diamond Monster 3D II. I ran two in the sli setup known as the MegaMonster. This allowed me to game in 1024x768. I was in Glide gaming heaven.

Yup basically it brings back memories for us dinosaurs but means little to nothing for millennials.

There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

Some of use will remember. Besides, you dinosaurs still have more buying power

Me, I'm just a 30 year old child. :D

Don't be silly, the late 90s was six years ago.

millennials is some catch all term made up by older folk. I bet those researchers are mid to late 30s or older.
There are huge differences between mid 80s and 90s kids.

Cartoons watched, clothing style, music, world events, etc.

I felt old when 'street fighter' drew blank faces.

32 here, but I round up to 40. I've accepted fate.

At most, I'd say 1 ultra high end 3dfx themed product for folks with midlife crisis.

At most, I'd say 1 ultra high end 3dfx themed product for folks with midlife crisis.

Why stop at one? Start with one, reestablish the brand as one that's recognized for performance, and then make it into a line of products.

Alternative solution:
Use the Voodoo name for a name for a really powerful game console-esque PC. Something like a Steam Box, but still running Windows, so you're not limited to the games that work on SteamOS.

Why stop at one? Start with one, reestablish the brand as one that's recognized for performance, and then make it into a line of products.

Alternative solution:
Use the Voodoo name for a name for a really powerful game console-esque PC. Something like a Steam Box, but still running Windows, so you're not limited to the games that work on SteamOS.

Well, they have Titan for the former.

For the latter, they have Shield.

Why Voodoo?

Nvidia acquired 3dfx right around the time Windows 2000 surfaced. A beta driver from 3dfx was available, but I always thought it was a bush-league move on Nvidia's part not to offer a few WHQL drivers to soften the blow of having one's video hardware orphaned. As in, "Welcome to the family, guys. Will be here for you when you next upgrade." The ex-3dfx folks they hired could have probably managed that without too much trouble.

And, yeah, I'm aware of the independent and user-made drivers that are, or were, available.

I will say... we probably are using tech that is designed by the 3Dfx engineers. So... it would be proper in my option to opt for the Voodoo name.

Well, they have Titan for the former.

For the latter, they have Shield.

Why Voodoo?

Same reason Dodge had the Viper, but revived the Challenger name for their sports coupe that they actually expected real people to buy.

Nothing wrong with capitalizing on nostalgia, especially if you're going to do something awesome.

Same reason Dodge had the Viper, but revived the Challenger name for their sports coupe that they actually expected real people to buy.

Nothing wrong with capitalizing on nostalgia, especially if you're going to do something awesome.

I see your point...but, the Challenger name actually stood for performance in the face of competition, unlike Voodoo did before the buyout. :p

So you expect Voodoo to be a tier above Titan?

I just can't see where in their current lineup they'd use the Voodoo branding. I guess the 980Ti?

So you'd have Geforce GT(X) x10-x80, then Geforce Voodoo x80Ti, then Geforce Voodoo Titan something?

That might work.

There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

Some of use will remember. Besides, you dinosaurs still have more buying power

Me, I'm just a 30 year old child. :D
I was born in 1983 and I'm opting out of the Millennial Generation ;). But I remember dreaming of a Voodoo2 SLI system in middle school :cool:.

I don't think using Dodge is a great comparison, Dodge is/was rebuilding a brand.

Nvidia already has a great line up with Geforce and Titan. Nvidia is not missing in any product segment.

Back