Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Samsung 980 PRO 2TB SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe $139.99

trikat

Limp Gawd
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...4-x4-nvme-for-laptops/6451686.p?skuId=6451686

Update the firmware ASAP!
Check the SMART data for issues, if any return it - Health / percentage, available spare, media errors, power on count, etc.
Do a full scan.
All the above can be done in Samsung Magician.
Have a backup system in place.
Why? Because the latest Samsung NVMEs are going bad / dying. Firmware fix is out for the 980 Pro, but it is recent.
https://nascompares.com/2023/02/02/...reporting-failures-everything-we-know-so-far/

Nah, only 90 days warranty versus the usual 5 years. Given the problem they have with firmware, it is not worth the risk. If you are short on cash, there are other brands and choices.

Geek Squad certified refurbished would need to pay me to take any of their stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if these are returned drives which they may have updated the firmware on and are now trying to sell them.

How do you refurb a SSD ? Everything is soldered on seems like trouble to replace component easier to send to trash bin and replace from a manufacturer's standpoint.

Yeah these 980 pros are going to end up eventually being shunned due to all the damaged drives being dumped on the market. Just like how no one would take an 840 EVO drive for any price, another bad drive design that no one will want.

Nah, only 90 days warranty versus the usual 5 years. Given the problem they have with firmware, it is not worth the risk. If you are short on cash, there are other brands and choices.
I thought the firmware issue was on the 990 pro the brand new ones -- Edit just read the article thats a yikes

I thought the firmware issue was on the 990 pro the brand new ones -- Edit just read the article thats a yikes

Both as far as I can tell. 980 has a fix. 990 doesn't yet.

FWIW, I'm typing this on a computer with a 2TB 980 Pro in it and have had zero problems. I also have another in my PS5 with no issue. I always update the firmware as soon as available though.

so they sell the non refurb for 160 at bestbuy, kinda feel like 20 bucks is worth the brand new part, no chance of it was running with the bad firmware

Back