Gear's Update - Has it dropped yet?

entermymatrix03

Limp Gawd
I'm stuck at work and was wondering if the Gear's update with the new mode had dropped yet. If so, what does everyone think of it?

I heard it got delayed. As well, currently Epic and Microsoft have a difference of opinion on how to release the content. Microsoft wants users to pay, Epic wants it free.

I heard it got delayed. As well, currently Epic and Microsoft have a difference of opinion on how to release the content. Microsoft wants users to pay, Epic wants it free.

Pretty sure it was confirmed for today, the Map patch which will come plater was delayed as a result of the pricing issue.

However annex is supposed to be today.

i just read something about a delay and Epic wanting to do free content and MS wanting folks to pay for it has delayed something...the way the article reads i can't tell if all has been delayed or certain parts.

Well I just logged on and it still hasnt dropped. I hope its soon, as I got a day off today.

Here is a video of the update if anyone has not seen it yet.

Link

I would kill for client side hit detection, which would in my opinion make gears near perfect as finding good games would increase x5.

But they wont :).

The update is out now. It may take an hour or so for it to propagate everyone...

It's up for me, midwest. Gametype is very fun so far, maps are changed in a few ways to complement the annex points.

Just DL'd it. Haven't played GOW for awhile but wanted to check out the VGA fix on my 4:3 CRT monitor. After playing a couple of single player levels though, it just doesn't seem that impressive to me - from a gameplay perspective, but also from a graphics one. To me, GRAW2 is a much, much more impressive game on both fronts. Gears seems fairly dated in comparison

Just got done playing a few games of Annex. Great fun! It's definitely my favorite game mode.

Just DL'd it. Haven't played GOW for awhile but wanted to check out the VGA fix on my 4:3 CRT monitor. After playing a couple of single player levels though, it just doesn't seem that impressive to me - from a gameplay perspective, but also from a graphics one. To me, GRAW2 is a much, much more impressive game on both fronts. Gears seems fairly dated in comparison

GRAW2 more impressive graphically? Yeah right.

I would kill for client side hit detection, which would in my opinion make gears near perfect as finding good games would increase x5.

But they wont :).

Same here, client-side should be law for consoles. :D

GRAW2 more impressive graphically? Yeah right.

I don't want to derail this thread but, sure, you can pick out certain elements of Gears, be it the higher quality textures and polygon counts, but GRAW2 is more impressive and immersive simply on the giant scale it renders and also painting a more convincing portrait of the destruction of war. While GRAW2's engine may not stack up feature for feature with Unreal Engine2, GRAW2 is simply a better game IMHO.

I played it. Still can't deal with the bullet lag and host advantage. Also, no respawns means more people running around with the shotty.

I don't want to derail this thread but, sure, you can pick out certain elements of Gears, be it the higher quality textures and polygon counts, but GRAW2 is more impressive and immersive simply on the giant scale it renders and also painting a more convincing portrait of the destruction of war. While GRAW2's engine may not stack up feature for feature with Unreal Engine2, GRAW2 is simply a better game IMHO.

Personal preference.. I like them both and I play Gears more often online especially this new MODE. Now, we just need CTF and maybe a mini Deathmatch (6v6 maybe?)

I love Annex. Adds a new aspect to Gears Multiplayer. It takes strategy to win. Playing it last night, it was cool to see everybody trying to figure out how to win and what strategies to use since it was so new.

Gears was great already and they keep adding stuff. Epic: you're great. I've definitely got my $44 worth (google checkout discount :D)

I love Annex. It brings back teamwork into Gears.

It's a huge improvement over the old "camp it out and wait for the round to end" type of stuff you would see earlier. It forces people to stick together and move as a unit.

I love it too, but I refuse to play when they put on the 30 second bleed out time and an organized team puts 3 of your team members out of the game and camps them. They need to fix that or atleast allow a search filter for bleed out times.

I love it too, but I refuse to play when they put on the 30 second bleed out time and an organized team puts 3 of your team members out of the game and camps them. They need to fix that or atleast allow a search filter for bleed out times.

Good point. I was using bleed time to my advantage (such as teammates yelling at me, asking why I had 4 kills to their 29 yet led them in points LOL), but 30 seconds is far too long. It should be around 5-10, maybe 15 at the very most.

BTW, does the standard assault rifle do more damage now? I was much more effective with it last night than I ever have been before.

BTW, does the standard assault rifle do more damage now? I was much more effective with it last night than I ever have been before.

Yes. This was listed as part of the updates. More powerful Lancer and more splash damage with the Boom Shot. There were also supposed to be some glitch fixes, though I haven't seen or heard any confirmation on which were fixed.

Yes. This was listed as part of the updates. More powerful Lancer and more splash damage with the Boom Shot. There were also supposed to be some glitch fixes, though I haven't seen or heard any confirmation on which were fixed.

Thank God. Considering that I am almost completely harmless with the shotty, this is a good thing for me.

Oh BTW, they also improved aim with the HoD though I haven't seen it in action yet so I don't know how effective it is.

I will attest to that, as I got 3 people at once one time running toward the ring.

Im not sure of the map name, but its the one that takes place on the massive set of stairs. the hammer is just brutal on that map if you know how to use it.

So i take it this gamestyle works well even with only 4 people on a team?

Sometimes i wish the maps were a little bigger and it was 6v6 or even 8v8. But i have to say, i was surprised how well the 4v4 worked when i initially started playing gears. just wish there was a ping display so you could check your connection.

Im not sure of the map name, but its the one that takes place on the massive set of stairs. the hammer is just brutal on that map if you know how to use it.

So i take it this gamestyle works well even with only 4 people on a team?

Sometimes i wish the maps were a little bigger and it was 6v6 or even 8v8. But i have to say, i was surprised how well the 4v4 worked when i initially started playing gears. just wish there was a ping display so you could check your connection.

It would actually be worse if you had more players. It's already damned hard to take the ring if all four opposing players are in the area. I couldn't imagine it if you were facing a coordinated team of 6 or 8. It would be impossible.

It would actually be worse if you had more players. It's already damned hard to take the ring if all four opposing players are in the area. I couldn't imagine it if you were facing a coordinated team of 6 or 8. It would be impossible.

Gotchya. Im just going to have to give guitar hero a break and play gears tonight i think. :cool:

I love how much support the developers have given gears after its release. and for FREE no less. major props to them.

I don't think you're going to see too much more than 4v4 until we games hosted on Public servers instead of host 360's.

Gotchya. Im just going to have to give guitar hero a break and play gears tonight i think. :cool:

I love how much support the developers have given gears after its release. and for FREE no less. major props to them.

Well, the free isn't going to last long. The next mappack will cost $5 or so for the first few months for those who want it and then free afterwards.

It kinda sucks because Epic wanted it all for free and MS is forcing them to charge for it. The compromise is that it will end up being free if you don't mind waiting.

Has anyone noticed the get stuck to the walls more often after the patch.

Its really noticeable now IMO.

I’m not the only one, some people where complaining about it last night as well.

they changed the running from a per frame scan to using the analog stick. Before it would just search if you were running into one, now you ned to move the stick away from the wall your passing by or you will stick to it.

Makes tight running turns impossible as you need to press the stick in the direction of the turn always making you go into cover. A change for the worse IMO.

Well, the free isn't going to last long. The next mappack will cost $5 or so for the first few months for those who want it and then free afterwards.

It kinda sucks because Epic wanted it all for free and MS is forcing them to charge for it. The compromise is that it will end up being free if you don't mind waiting.

that sucks :mad:

oh well, ill be mad at M$, not epic as its obvious they want it to be free.

they changed the running from a per frame scan to using the analog stick. Before it would just search if you were running into one, now you ned to move the stick away from the wall your passing by or you will stick to it.

Makes tight running turns impossible as you need to press the stick in the direction of the turn always making you go into cover. A change for the worse IMO.

Yep, its nearly impossible to rush for the sniper rifle on canals now without getting stuck to at least one wall.

I love annex its a blast. What epic needs to do now is an autobalance feature though, its so annoying when playing annex where the rounds can be like 10-15 minutes, and 2 of your teammates leave making it a 2v4 and your stuck like that for 45 minutes. Does anyone else think gears has the worst team stacking ever, never have I seen a game where one team just dominates the other so frequently.

Annex is fun, but I'm quite dismayed that none of the kills in Annex count towards achievements. No help for Seriously... to be found here, and that REALLY dampens my enthusiasm for it.

I'm also getting caught on the walls much more than normal, as others have pointed out.

Back