Gears of War: Ultimate Edition coming to PC

it's now only $19.99 and seems like they've patched the performance issues.. but anyone here running 21:9 3440x1440? I want to try it but $20 still $20

i'm running it at 2560x1440 and hovers near 60fps with all settings maxed on a 980ti.
it still doesn't run as well as it should for being such an old game remastered

Last edited:
The game was okay. There are still weird performance hiccups (even on a GTX1080 and only playing at 1080p), but it runs well like 98% of the time. It was mostly fine on my 980 as well.
While it looks better than the old version, it isn't night/day better. You may even need to see the old one and remaster running side by side to pick up some of the things they tweaked.
It's more of the same. If you liked it before, you'll probably still like it now. It's a good deal at $20, but even $30 seems a hair steep. Especially when Uncharted gave us all 3 games for $60.

I wonder if this game did well enough to justify remasters of 2 and 3? 2 was easily the best of the series and in playing this one again it surprised me how many of the awesome moments I thought were in this one were actually in #2.

Well considering no one has replied here in 4.5 years no wonder Microsoft and The Coalition don't give a crap that the game has been essentially broken since one of the Windows updates in 2018. It is a damn shame too as I really enjoyed this game and would love to play it again.

Well considering no one has replied here in 4.5 years no wonder Microsoft and The Coalition don't give a crap that the game has been essentially broken since one of the Windows updates in 2018. It is a damn shame too as I really enjoyed this game and would love to play it again.

Microsoft does not care? Say it isn't so? ;) (Windows Phone, Kinect 2, Microsoft Band..... Cough) Honestly, I tried downloading Halo Master Chief Collection through the XBox App and the best I got was 20MB per second, on average. I have a Gigabit internet connection and no matter what I did, it made no difference. I have zero issues with any of the other game services, like Steam or Rockstar Games.

I just bought a copy last year that I've been sitting on, what's broken in it?

With all of the remasters and game collections they're pushing, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a Gears 1-3 + Judgement collection, yet.
Especially with the series continuing to be a big part of MS's lineup, there are a lot of people that have never touched half the series.

I just bought a copy last year that I've been sitting on, what's broken in it?
It has frame drops that you can do nothing about. Even 720p all low settings will still drop into the 30s and 40s in certain places for seemingly no reason. It has nothing to do with AMD or Nvidia as it happens on every single system.

Microsoft does not care? Say it isn't so? ;) (Windows Phone, Kinect 2, Microsoft Band..... Cough) Honestly, I tried downloading Halo Master Chief Collection through the XBox App and the best I got was 20MB per second, on average. I have a Gigabit internet connection and no matter what I did, it made no difference. I have zero issues with any of the other game services, like Steam or Rockstar Games.
Yeah it's amazing they can't even make a decent store or bother to fix things in a timely manner. It's hard to believe that they actually make an operating system that we all use. I still remember the nightmare of gears of war 4 launching. Many if not most people had issues with it not properly installing during the preload and would continually re-download the game. At that time we had a 1 terabyte data cap that I exceeded pretty quickly as the game was downloading in the background throughout the day over and over. Even when I realized what it was doing and stopped it it would re-download the game every time I started the computer and I would have to stop it every time.

It has frame drops that you can do nothing about. Even 720p all low settings will still drop into the 30s and 40s in certain places for seemingly no reason. It has nothing to do with AMD or Nvidia as it happens on every single system.
I guess I'll have to play it at a capped 30 in the drivers and with a gamepad so I don't notice the input lag so much, then. I only paid $20 for it but still, that seems like piss-poor programming to me.

Back