Gears of War: Ultimate Edition coming to PC

MS is salty because of the big shakeup AMD caused them by creating Mantle which got the ball rolling on SteamOS, Vulkan which threatened their monopoly on PC gaming.

Have to agree... Looking at it from different angles and I just can't see how Microsoft is not doing this on purpose. Hmm, the XB1 is based on AMD, and Microsoft knows the GCN architecture inside and out... and they aren't exactly a small outfit.

Wow, that is quite the punch thrown there.

MS is salty because of the big shakeup AMD caused them by creating Mantle which got the ball rolling on SteamOS, Vulkan which threatened their monopoly on PC gaming.
They can be salty all they want, but deliberate handicapping of their own product doesn't make good business sense.

I doubt it was deliberate. Knowing MS, its likely they simply did not know or even tested it.

They can be salty all they want, but deliberate handicapping of their own product doesn't make good business sense.

I doubt it was deliberate. Knowing MS, its likely they simply did not know or even tested it.

Like any project, someone's in charge of it, and someone needs to sign off and approve the build for release after reviewing the QA report.

Big company or not there are basic management principals companies follow.

Microsoft, once again, releases a terrible port for a platform that they make 0% profit on.

HUMMMM, I WONDER WHY THE PRODUCT IS SHIT!? Could it be that they were merely looking to cross 'made a PC port of GoW' off the list so they can brag about how much they 'Support the PC gaming industry!" later on!?

Like any project, someone's in charge of it, and someone needs to sign off and approve the build for release after reviewing the QA report.

Big company or not there are basic management principals companies follow.
I get that. I also could see a lone manager saying "QA says there's issues with AMD, but Fuck AMD I don't care."

I just don't see that exact situation. Complete ineptitude or someone just not giving a shit maybe. I just don't see someone clearing this through QA because "Fuck AMD". You don't burn business relationships like that.

Microsoft, once again, releases a terrible port for a platform that they make 0% profit on.

HUMMMM, I WONDER WHY THE PRODUCT IS SHIT!? Could it be that they were merely looking to cross 'made a PC port of GoW' off the list so they can brag about how much they 'Support the PC gaming industry!" later on!?

They already did make a PC port of GoW a long time ago, though...from what I recall it ran alright.

They already did make a PC port of GoW a long time ago, though...from what I recall it ran alright.

That was technically Epic Games, and I'm not sure who still gets royalties for the original title. GoW is now owned and developed in-house by Microsoft.

So, did anyone actually pull the trigger on this...on Nvidia hardware? We all know ATI users got screwed (seems to be a broken record these days), but I'm curious how the green side turned out. Is it a steaming pile on one side, or both?

So, did anyone actually pull the trigger on this...on Nvidia hardware? We all know ATI users got screwed (seems to be a broken record these days), but I'm curious how the green side turned out. Is it a steaming pile on one side, or both?

The news usually goes like this:

Doesen't work on Nvidia cards: Game is broken.

Doesen't work on AMD cards: AMDSUXlololol.

I'm seeing a bit of "Game is broken" news, so maybe Nvidia cards are having issue as well.

Let me preface this by saying that my computer has been acting like an ass since the 1511 Win 10 64 update tonight. So this might be a good time for me to refresh Windows.

This is what installed from MS tonight on my PC and is causing me all types of issues.
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4: March 1, 2016

I decided to be the guinea pig again. So I installed the game onto my RAID 0 Hitachi drives where I put all of my Steam games. The drive has 3.24TB of 3.63TB of space available. You can see my system in my signature. Anyways the game runs buttery smooth until the next shooting gallery loads. Let me explain as best I can.

The game is the smoothest game I have ever played. It is in Mantle Civilization: Beyond Earth territory when it comes to smoothness. Not one screen tear. It is perfection @1080p on the highest settings. I thought I'd gone to PC gaming heaven. So everyone should run out and buy it?

F*CK NO!

Your team says something like, "Time to move up boys!" Before half the words are uttered, the worst screen lockups occur. The world stops. You can't do sh*t. Then you are liberated.... Until your team says, "Move up!" Then my computer screen literally locks up again.

Literally every little objective is like this. It's like the game's designers never heard of a cache or loading the next level into memory. But it isn't the next level; it's literally just taking a step onto a set of stairs. Or just opening a door. Or peering into an empty courtyard and then deciding to enter.

The game is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Beauty and the Beast. Going 72-0 vs going 0-72.

I am speechless. I hope that it's something wrong with the new Windows build that installed tonight. Right now I can't click links in a browser because the highlighted areas are 3 times larger than the actual bar that you click with your mouse. So I have to approximate where the dead center is on text to figure out where to click.

When they do fix whatever is causing these issues, everyone should give it a try. The game is amazingly smooth! Nvidia users have never experienced anything like this before. They should disable GSYNC and then test it On and Off to see how smooth the default game is.

;)

They should disable GSYNC and then test it On and Off to see how smooth the default game is.;)

Not a problem considering reports that G-sync doesn't even work with this game...

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Is a Performance Mess on AMD’s Graphics Cards | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming

Moreover, it appears that Gears of War: Ultimate Edition does not support SLI and Crossfire, does not support exclusive fullscreen mode, is not compatible with NVIDIA’s GSync, and its framerate does not exceed a monitor’s refresh rate (even when you select the “Unlocked” mode).

What a fucking mess.

Pretty sure it isn't just the game that doesn't support Gsync - it's anything from the entire Microsoft Store.
Per all prior reports, the store forces everything to utilize vsync and windowed fullscreen. Being forced to go that route = horrible. In my own library there are games that run better that way and some games that are borderline unplayable that way.

Let me preface this by saying that my computer has been acting like an ass since the 1511 Win 10 64 update tonight. So this might be a good time for me to refresh Windows.

This is what installed from MS tonight on my PC and is causing me all types of issues.
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4: March 1, 2016

I decided to be the guinea pig again. So I installed the game onto my RAID 0 Hitachi drives where I put all of my Steam games. The drive has 3.24TB of 3.63TB of space available. You can see my system in my signature. Anyways the game runs buttery smooth until the next shooting gallery loads. Let me explain as best I can.

The game is the smoothest game I have ever played. It is in Mantle Civilization: Beyond Earth territory when it comes to smoothness. Not one screen tear. It is perfection @1080p on the highest settings. I thought I'd gone to PC gaming heaven. So everyone should run out and buy it?

F*CK NO!

Your team says something like, "Time to move up boys!" Before half the words are uttered, the worst screen lockups occur. The world stops. You can't do sh*t. Then you are liberated.... Until your team says, "Move up!" Then my computer screen literally locks up again.

Literally every little objective is like this. It's like the game's designers never heard of a cache or loading the next level into memory. But it isn't the next level; it's literally just taking a step onto a set of stairs. Or just opening a door. Or peering into an empty courtyard and then deciding to enter.

The game is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Beauty and the Beast. Going 72-0 vs going 0-72.

I am speechless. I hope that it's something wrong with the new Windows build that installed tonight. Right now I can't click links in a browser because the highlighted areas are 3 times larger than the actual bar that you click with your mouse. So I have to approximate where the dead center is on text to figure out where to click.

When they do fix whatever is causing these issues, everyone should give it a try. The game is amazingly smooth! Nvidia users have never experienced anything like this before. They should disable GSYNC and then test it On and Off to see how smooth the default game is.

;)
Kind of sounds like they never even bothered to change memory management from the unified memory architecture of the Xbox ONE to the discrete memory architecture of a PC. There is usually at least some attempt on the developer's part to do so, but maybe they felt they didn't need to because the UWA framework is so wonderful :rolleyes:.

does the original version even work any more?...I still have the disc version...seems like that's the real 'Ultimate' edition

Well I cured my Windows issues and the game runs exactly the same as I posted above. No change.

DX12 is not off to a good start...Quantum Break doesn't look like a showcase game either...DX12 had so much hype going in and we get games like Gears of War which will do harm to both Windows 10 (the people still on Windows 7/8 who were waiting for the first DX12 titles to launch before upgrading) and DX12 itself (more Vulkan fans every day)

DX12 is not off to a good start...Quantum Break doesn't look like a showcase game either...DX12 had so much hype going in and we get games like Gears of War which will do harm to both Windows 10 (the people still on Windows 7/8 who were waiting for the first DX12 titles to launch before upgrading) and DX12 itself

In fairness, it isn't the API's fault but rather the fault of the developers who don't use it well. Part of that stems from the fact that it's new and not much has been done with it yet.

In fairness, it isn't the API's fault but rather the fault of the developers who don't use it well. Part of that stems from the fact that it's new and not much has been done with it yet.

DX9/10/11 didn't get off to this rough of a start...has to be more then developer incompetence...although GOW being a DX9 game originally might be the main issue...Quantum Break will hopefully be a better representation

does the original version even work any more?...I still have the disc version...seems like that's the real 'Ultimate' edition

Yeah, it kinda does. From memory, you have to hunt around for a weird (legit from EpicGames, though) patch because there was some kind of time bomb in the shipping version's exe. It stopped working properly in 2010 I think. You also need to have GFWL installed.
Last time I remember trying to play it, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops and a random NOCD that Google pulled up ended up working better than any of the official solutions. That said, once it's up and running - it still looks pretty nice and it plays fine. MP is totally dead, but it's a good SP experience.

Oh yeah - be ready to walk away from your computer for a while during the install. It literally takes like 45 minutes, even on a brand new machine.

I've got GoW UE running well on my old 980 i7 680 GTX 3x SLI rig. No SLI support it would seem but I'm getting 45 FPS average in the benchmark at high at 1080p. Looks like there's plenty of things to fix especiall on the AMD side.

Well, I bought it. Now, I just have to wait until I get home to install it. My home computer will run it but, my work computer does not have the minimum requirements for the graphics card that is needed. Oh well.

So, did anything ever come of this? Were there any patches or driver updates that "fixed" the game or has it just been written off?

So, did anything ever come of this? Were there any patches or driver updates that "fixed" the game or has it just been written off?

It is still not "optimized" worth a damn even after the latest patch.

There is no way this outdated game with a touch up job should be running so poorly on hardware like that.

Man I really want to play this. Hope they fix multi cards support or at least gsync.

Man I really want to play this. Hope they fix multi cards support or at least gsync.

Gsync works now with it with the newest nvidia drivers and multi card and ultrawide support is coming soon. I'll rebuy it if they put cross platform play in it.

If they can give me 1080p/60 at $30 I'll bite. It should probably be 4K/60, but I'll worry about that whenever Nvidia's next cards hit. Until I'm certain of at least 1080p/60 at $30, nope.

It is still not "optimized" worth a damn even after the latest patch.

There is no way this outdated game with a touch up job should be running so poorly on hardware like that.

It runs great on my system.

If they can give me 1080p/60 at $30 I'll bite. It should probably be 4K/60, but I'll worry about that whenever Nvidia's next cards hit. Until I'm certain of at least 1080p/60 at $30, nope.

It already supports 4k. But your specs show Win 8.1, you would have to upgrade to Win 10.

Woops, I'm on Win10. Just fixed that.
I know the game "supports" 4K, but how does it run? The game seems to be a performance dog in 1080p per all of the reviews, and I can only play a handful of games in 4K mode and still hit 60fps. The odds don't look good.

Woops, I'm on Win10. Just fixed that.
I know the game "supports" 4K, but how does it run? The game seems to be a performance dog in 1080p per all of the reviews, and I can only play a handful of games in 4K mode and still hit 60fps. The odds don't look good.

Like I told misterbobby, the game runs great on my system (2560x1440). They've released patches since initial release to address performance issues. My 4k TV should be here Friday for my gaming rig, so i'll be running 4k very soon.

sarcasm? The game launched at 30 bucks...

Nope, I actually thought it was $60. The Xbox One game is/was full price. Looks like the disks are closer to $50 now, though.
$30 isn't exactly a steal, but if it finally runs well, I'd be tempted to try it.

it's now only $19.99 and seems like they've patched the performance issues.. but anyone here running 21:9 3440x1440? I want to try it but $20 still $20

Back