Gears of War: Ultimate Edition coming to PC

really enjoyed the first game on PC...too bad the sequels never came to PC...I remember the final boss being really difficult for some reason

RAAM was a PITA, that's for sure. I agree it's a shame 2 and 3 never got the PC treatment, hopefully MS is actually serious about Windows gaming this time and remedies this. $40 is a bit steep though for a DX12 facelift. Maybe $30?

Honestly couldn't care less.

ySBYG1F.gif

Some new info on the PC version:

It will be DX12, the frame rate will be uncapped, it will make use of DX12 Asynchronous compute.

dev said:
We are still hard at work optimising the game. DirectX 12 allows us much better control over the CPU load with heavily reduced driver overhead. Some of the overhead has been moved to the game where we can have control over it. Our main effort is in parallelising the rendering system to take advantage of multiple CPU cores. Command list creation and D3D resource creation are the big focus here. We’re also pulling in optimisations from UE4 where possible, such as pipeline state object caching. On the GPU side, we’ve converted SSAO to make use of async compute and are exploring the same for other features, like MSAA.

dev said:
We have put significant effort into making the Windows 10 version a showcase at 4K, geo and textures were re-authored with 4K in mind so the visual fidelity will really scale up on higher end hardware. We plan to uncap the frame-rate and will ship with a built-in benchmark mode. For anti-aliasing we’ll support MSAA and FXAA.

While we haven’t locked how far the game will scale down, it is important to us to ensure good performance (at least 30fps) on a variety of hardware. We will support a broad range of resolutions as well as a variety of graphics options for gamers to tweak their setup.

Source: OC3D

I still question the price for this. Even with all of the new assets, the game still doesn't look that great. It would be one thing if it was $30 or if the $60 got you all three of the original games.
As it is, it's just a waste. I don't care what went into making it - it's a disappointment.

No SMAA... Well that is a little disappointing. At least the framerate will be uncapped.

I think it's good that some of these console exclusives may make their way to PC. I may buy this just to support that movement

The original PC version of GOW is the main reason this is annoying. I've seen all of the video and behind the scenes stuff about how much went into it. At the same time, in action you'd barely know it. It looks better than the old game, but not by that much. At least assuming this is using the same assets as the Xbox One version, which is a total joke at 30fps.
When you factor in the older version on the PC already runs at 60fps and even has some graphical mods, you're really paying for a minor graphical upgrade and functional multiplayer...which I question if anyone will be playing for long. Especially if they remaster the 2nd and 3rd games.

I want to support the idea of this, but not the execution. This should either be $25 or it should be a set of all 3 original GOW games.

the way the developers are talking about the technical details of the remaster it sounds like a massive overhaul...looking at video there's definitely more detail, better lighting and most importantly they got rid of (or dramatically reduced) that awful blur effect from the original...this might be worth a double dip if the price is right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=43G_9CQ5e0c

Most of the game looks greatly improved but I saw some horrible looking textures on some of the cars that looked like they were not improved much at all though.

And they are using the same engine so its not much more than a graphics improvement to an old game so it should not be priced anywhere close to what an all new game costs. As already mentioned, this would be a very compelling product if ALL of the GOW games were included. I will certainly grab the game later but not until its 10 bucks or less.

The game is still 95% the same. It's just a fancy coat of paint on top of it. Right down to the AI, gameplay, animation, etc.
You can take a look at the Xbox One version running at some retailers. It's available right now. It certainly looks better pixel for pixel, but if you don't see it running side by side with the old one you'll likely be disappointed. Hell, if you're like me you'll wonder if you're even seeing the right game. It is what it is, but IMO, it's a waste at retail price.
Initially I had pretty high hopes for it, but it really is just the same game with better textures and some additional effects. The easiest comparison to make is the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, which includes all 3 games for $60. They even boosted those games to 60fps, too.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition PC requirements

The specs below reportedly leaked on the Windows 10 store earlier today, and Windows Central were quick enough to capture the details before Microsoft pulled them down again...

I didn't know that this was another DX12 Windows 10 exclusive...

Recommended for 1920X1080P
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 @3.5GHz+ or AMD FX 8-core
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM (4 GB VRAM)
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 290X
  • Hard Drive: 60 GB available space
  • DirectX 12
Recommended for 4K
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 @ 4Ghz or AMD FX 8-core
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM (6+ GB VRAM)
  • Graphics: Geforce GTX 980 Ti or Radeon R9 390X
  • Hard Drive: SSD + 60 GB available space
  • DirectX 12
Minimum Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.7Ghz or AMD FX 6-core
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM (2 GB VRAM)
  • Graphics: Geforce GTX 650 Ti or Radeon R7 260x
  • DirectX 12

Reactions: atom
like this
Is MS only pushing this via the Windows store or will it potentially be on Steam, too? On Steam I can see it going on sale for $20 pretty quickly. Then it might be worthwhile.

Is MS only pushing this via the Windows store or will it potentially be on Steam, too? On Steam I can see it going on sale for $20 pretty quickly. Then it might be worthwhile.

Windows store only as far as I can tell.

• DirectX 12

Whats with the ridiculous 1080p requirements, especially 16gb memory for a pc remaster of a 2006 game lol wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft is exaggerating specs in order to make Xbone seem more accessible and persuade those thinking about jumping ship to pc to double think their decision.

IMO, everything about this game is very odd. Those specs, what the completed version looks like on the Xbox One, the framerate, the cost, what's included, the exclusive platform, etc.
It's almost like they don't want people to get either version of it.

amazing how fast requirements went up over the past year or so...I thought upgrading my GTX 580 to a GTX 970 14 months ago was more of a luxury but it now seems like a necessity...even Minimum specs nowadays require 2GB VRAM and at least a 600 series card

Those reqs seem like a fucking joke...
Especially with a game that was made in 2006, used DX9, at most used 2 threads, and only required 512MB.

I can't possibly see them adding so much more content to justify the use of an i7 at 4ghz or 16GB of RAM. Remastering the game with 4k textures might just justify the crazy graphics requirements, but not necessarily the obscene CPU, RAM and drive specs.

• DirectX 12

Whats with the ridiculous 1080p requirements, especially 16gb memory for a pc remaster of a 2006 game lol wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft is exaggerating specs in order to make Xbone seem more accessible and persuade those thinking about jumping ship to pc to double think their decision.

How are they ridiculous? Ram is very cheap.. ESP DDR3 users. And 970's are under 300$. This is going to be the norm for awhile.. Not to mention the 970 is over a year old now.

here’s what Microsoft had to say about it:
  • Every aspect of the original Gears of War has been beautifully remastered and modernized, including lighting, environments, characters, and cinematic scenes. This is the first at its best!
  • Play in stunning 4K with an unlocked refresh rate.
  • Includes five additional, exhilarating campaign missions that follow Delta Squad as they battle their way to Timgad Station not included in the Xbox 360 original.
  • Go deeper into Gears fiction with five Gears of War comic books, which can be unlocked and read within the game.
  • Remastered for Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound
Multiplayer features:
  • The most visceral online shooter returns with multiplayer matches running on fast and fair dedicated servers with unlocked refresh rates.
  • Includes all original Xbox 360 DLC multiplayer maps and three multiplayer maps from the original Gears of War PC version for an incredible 19 total multiplayer maps.
  • Newly added multiplayer modes include Team Death Match, King of the Hill, Blitz and a special 2v2 mode designed by the Gears of War community.
  • Returning multiplayer modes include Warzone, Assassination, Execution and Annex.
And more:
  • All new Xbox Live Achievements and 1,250 new Gamerscore.
  • Handpicked gameplay improvements, alternate controls and a new difficulty level for players new to the franchise.
  • Support for keyboard or gamepad controls.
  • The Windows 10 version includes the Deluxe Weapon Skin Pack and 11 bonus multiplayer characters

GoW was interesting because of its visceral approach to third person shooting and melee combat. However, it didn't take long for the gameplay to become repetitive and tedious, the characters were bland military strong men archetypes and the plot was just utterly dumb. Not sure a graphical overhaul is enough of an incentive to replay it.

How are they ridiculous? Ram is very cheap.. ESP DDR3 users. And 970's are under 300$. This is going to be the norm for awhile.. Not to mention the 970 is over a year old now.
I owned and played the original overhyped game on PC. This game does not have the content to push that hardware to begin with. The only exception is the video card since they are revamping the graphics. The original game didn't need an "i7 at 4ghz" to process the enemy AI or physics. And when they say any AMD FX 8 core then specifically state a i7 at 4ghz to make it seem like a more amazing re-master than it really is. To me, those CPU requirements say "lets require the fastest in each category that each company currently sells" while at the same time having no idea that an AMD FX 8 core at best on par with a slow i5. We enthusiasts know better that a slow i5 or AMD FX will play 95% of the games out there when coupled to a decent video card, so why inflate the requirements?

so why inflate the requirements?

because MS is trying to push Windows 10 with lies and deception making it seem like Gears of War will be something amazing in DX12 that will push hardware to the breaking point...same way they're pushing Quantum Break with those inflated system requirements

I've never played a Gears of War game, but the updates sound good. Count me in...

because MS is trying to push Windows 10 with lies and deception making it seem like Gears of War will be something amazing in DX12 that will push hardware to the breaking point...same way they're pushing Quantum Break with those inflated system requirements

Let's wait for the games to actually release before condemning people. Conspiracy theories do no one any good.

Why would I buy a game I already own, for PC no less and only one generation old? Same game-play they copy and pasted to the two sequels too.

I've never played a Gears of War game, but the updates sound good. Count me in...

That would be one of the few situations where I'd recommend this. At least assuming it doesn't run like a steaming pile. If you've never played the games before, you'll probably be in for a treat.
I don't know if the original version even still works in anymore. It was tied to GFWL and was a bit of a mess on top of that. I had more luck running it with hacked executables than my retail disk version.

the original was fun on PC but not a game I am interested in double dipping for...I still remember having a lot of difficulty with the final boss

I owned and played the original overhyped game on PC. This game does not have the content to push that hardware to begin with. The only exception is the video card since they are revamping the graphics. The original game didn't need an "i7 at 4ghz" to process the enemy AI or physics. And when they say any AMD FX 8 core then specifically state a i7 at 4ghz to make it seem like a more amazing re-master than it really is. To me, those CPU requirements say "lets require the fastest in each category that each company currently sells" while at the same time having no idea that an AMD FX 8 core at best on par with a slow i5. We enthusiasts know better that a slow i5 or AMD FX will play 95% of the games out there when coupled to a decent video card, so why inflate the requirements?
The version of UE3 being used is not the same engine it was when the game first came out 10 years ago. Why are you getting so hung up on the system requirements? Just buy the game then, if you're so confident, and tell us how it runs.

You say "we enthusiasts know better," but we also know that system requirements are both a marketing tactic and a way to cover their butts when kids start complaining the game won't run on their Dell laptops.

The version of UE3 being used is not the same engine it was when the game first came out 10 years ago. Why are you getting so hung up on the system requirements? Just buy the game then, if you're so confident, and tell us how it runs.

You say "we enthusiasts know better," but we also know that system requirements are both a marketing tactic and a way to cover their butts when kids start complaining the game won't run on their Dell laptops.
But its still UE3. A very mature game engine. What are they going to do to this game that would push boundaries? Even the original game didn't push any technical boundaries. I can see some of the new OS overhead and DX12 requiring some more power than was used 10 years ago, but not "4ghz i7" and "16GB" of RAM. A machine with an i3 and 8GB of RAM will likely max this out provided it has a decent enough video card.

That being said, you make a valid point on the laptops I forgot to consider. Intel's mobile line is all over the place in specs and even some of the mobile i7's are just super fast dual cores with hyperthreading.

So..... Looks like Microsoft gave a Big FU to AMD.

Can't believe QA would let WTF is happening to release not on purpose... 1 or 2 issues... maybe... But the whole game is messed up.

So this was silently launched today on the Windows Store. And AMD users are in for a treat...

It's a Forbes article, so beware going in without ad blockers.
'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition' On PC Is A Disaster For AMD Radeon Gamers

MS sure is doing a crappy job pushing DX12...I'm sure Quantum Break will be another screwup

"Now, one of the strategic shifts around DirectX 12 is that it takes power away from the driver and puts it in the hands of the developers. This means a driver should be less important than it used to be when it comes to extracting maximum performance out of a GPU"

interesting, I didn't know that about DX12

Last edited:
So..... Looks like Microsoft gave a Big FU to AMD.

MS is salty because of the big shakeup AMD caused them by creating Mantle which got the ball rolling on SteamOS, Vulkan which threatened their monopoly on PC gaming.

the article was updated with reports of possible Nvidia issues as well...

Update 3/1/2016 8:55 am PDT: Though I cannot personally confirm this I’m beginning to hear reports that Nvidia’s 980 Ti is also exhibiting stuttering and hitching issues

Back