Gears of War Reviews/discussion/impressions.

I've played 4 hours on casual and enjoyed it. I restarted on Hardcore last night and HOLY SHIT! this is how the game was meant to be played.

Its intense, difficult, and amazingly better then casual ever was at its best.

TheCreat0r said:
no wonder you talked negatively about it, you can't get past the beserker ;) what are you doing wrong? it's not that hard once you figure out where to go, took me a few trys.

because, much unlike physics and reality, the thing can turn on a dime. I can get him to smash the first door (after about 10 tries), but after that I can't get him to do anything useful in the second room (oh, and Dom gets killed every other try, somehow, completely out of my control, which is an insta-loss as well). And he magically can turn when I dive out of the way, catch me instantly, (yay 90 degree turns!), and kill me, one hit.

It's not that I can't get past that area, it's that I find "lure the monster" tricks to be the same all around: A gimmick because someone couldn't think of a more creative way to spend 'x' amount of time to extend a game. It's like the ubiquitous maze, or the sliding tile puzzle, etc... it's there to take up time because someone ran out of ideas. Sad, but true.

lopoetve said:
because, much unlike physics and reality, the thing can turn on a dime. I can get him to smash the first door (after about 10 tries), but after that I can't get him to do anything useful in the second room (oh, and Dom gets killed every other try, somehow, completely out of my control, which is an insta-loss as well). And he magically can turn when I dive out of the way, catch me instantly, (yay 90 degree turns!), and kill me, one hit.

It's not that I can't get past that area, it's that I find "lure the monster" tricks to be the same all around: A gimmick because someone couldn't think of a more creative way to spend 'x' amount of time to extend a game. It's like the ubiquitous maze, or the sliding tile puzzle, etc... it's there to take up time because someone ran out of ideas. Sad, but true.
\

Double tap A and leap out of her way

lopoetve said:

Haha...your funny. There is more ways than one to take down the door. :p I will leave it at that.

Bowhuntr11 said:
Haha...your funny. There is more ways than one to take down the door. :p I will leave it at that.

I don't got no grenades :-p

Shooting it gets me smashzored from behind (if she hasn't found and killed dom yet).

I'll probably go nab the strat. guide later tonight. I don't like puzzles with my killing.

The Berserker really isn't hard. She is very predictable and isn't really a problem if you time it right. It sounds like you're dodging too early. She's actually one of the easiest aspects of Hardcore mode.

K600 said:
The Berserker really isn't hard. She is very predictable and isn't really a problem if you time it right. It sounds like you're dodging too early. She's actually one of the easiest aspects of Hardcore mode.

Dude, I'm getting old, my reflexes aren't what they used to be. 24 years and all that slows you down some...

That, and I really would rather shoot/chainsaw her in the face.

Bowhuntr11 said:
Always save grenades unless your about to die :p

Well, see the end part of your statement? If said portion were true... then...?

I played it for a few hours yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. Definitely the best graphics I've ever seen either on the PC or a console...although it's interesting the way they don't show any details until you get closer. I guess that's a nice way of keeping the details high, but not bogging the system down.
In terms of the game itself, I'm rusty aiming with an analog stick...but I think the game's tough, even on the normal difficulty. It's definitely a departure from the usual run/jump/shoot FPS's out there. In fact it's also different from the stealthy ones like Far Cry, too.
It's fast paced, but you have to be careful. The movement and A-button functionality took a little getting used to, but now I'm comfy with it in most cases.
Anyway, I think the game's terrific and I appreciate how unique it is.

Oh...in terms of the Berzerker, I dunno if it's really different in Hardcore mode, but on normal you can just stand in front of the door and Roadie Run at an angle in the opposite direction. I knocked all 3 of those doors down on the 2nd try (once I figured out it insta-kills you on the first try!)

I found that jump-dodging is the easiest way to handle the berserker. You need to actually keep track of where you're going, obviously, so you don't jump into a wall. I do think it would have been better if they had made Dom stay somewhere out of the way, though. It took me a few tries to beat him, but it's definitely doable.

The game only gets more awesome, too.

Anyone having any disc errors? I play for about 50 minutes, and then a message pops up saying the disc is unreadable. Once it said that the disc was dirty. This is the first time I've had anything like that happen with my Xbox 360 playing any games.

erwos said:
I found that jump-dodging is the easiest way to handle the berserker. You need to actually keep track of where you're going, obviously, so you don't jump into a wall. I do think it would have been better if they had made Dom stay somewhere out of the way, though. It took me a few tries to beat him, but it's definitely doable.

The game only gets more awesome, too.

Jump-whatsis?

I hit A and a direction on the pad, that's all the dodging I know.

randy5554 said:
Anyone having any disc errors? I play for about 50 minutes, and then a message pops up saying the disc is unreadable. Once it said that the disc was dirty. This is the first time I've had anything like that happen with my Xbox 360 playing any games.
I've seen it happen a couple times randomly with other games. No idea why. Probably some sort of firmware bug.

erwos said:
I've seen it happen a couple times randomly with other games. No idea why. Probably some sort of firmware bug.
Its probably just a badly burnt DVD. I would exchange it at the store ASAP.

I've played for probably about 5 hours or so total and I received one of those msgs... haven't seen one since.

randy5554 said:

lopoetve said:
Jump-whatsis?

I hit A and a direction on the pad, that's all the dodging I know.

I believe that's what he's talking about. By tapping A and a direction, you "jump" out of the way.

K600 said:

I thought it was pretty easy as well, the hardest part was getting her to follow me through a few of the doors once they were broken. I didn't even bother dodging with A, I just faced her as she turned around after a rush. When she was about halfway to me I just strafed left or right and she wasn't able to adjust and hit me. This was on Hardcore by the way.

lopoetve said:
Dude, I'm getting old, my reflexes aren't what they used to be. 24 years and all that slows you down some...

That, and I really would rather shoot/chainsaw her in the face.

Well, see the end part of your statement? If said portion were true... then...?

Sounds to me you simply got the wrong game.

Oh for fuck sake, 24 years your feeling old? That means your pretty much fucked when you hit 50 :rolleyes:

For the record, I'm 18 and I thought that the berserker part was way too fucking hard.

IcedEmotion said:
I thought it was pretty easy as well, the hardest part was getting her to follow me through a few of the doors once they were broken. I didn't even bother dodging with A, I just faced her as she turned around after a rush. When she was about halfway to me I just strafed left or right and she wasn't able to adjust and hit me. This was on Hardcore by the way.
she hits me 1/4 times no matter what I do :p

Must be my animal magnetism... she wants some of the Lopo.

Klintor said:
For the record, I'm 18 and I thought that the berserker part was way too fucking hard.

Thank you!
IceWind said:
Sounds to me you simply got the wrong game.

Oh for fuck sake, 24 years your feeling old? That means your pretty much fucked when you hit 50 :rolleyes:

Yes, old. It's a long story, but I'm getting old; I'm a tired old geek, and I miss some things (like high school and college) badly, when I had the time to master games like these, or hell, even play them. when I play a game like this now, I just want to blow shit up for a little bit. Find me a way to stuff a grenade down that bitch's throat and I'll be happy, but screw leading her around to doors.

IceWind said:
Hey, he might have had a really hard life! :D

Psychotext said:
Hey, he might have had a really hard life! :D

not really, but imho, you hit your peak of reflexes and skill at stuff like that at about the age of 20 ;) It's all downhill from here.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

That's scary hearing people being old at 24 :)
I'm 29 and I don't feel a day older than 18. Hell, even though I play a lot less, I think I'm a better player now than I was then.

Domingo said:
That's scary hearing people being old at 24 :)
I'm 29 and I don't feel a day older than 18. Hell, even though I play a lot less, I think I'm a better player now than I was then.

I'm 27 and really enjoy playing video games. As far as physically feeling old? Hell yes.....oh the aches and pains lol.

The best part about getting older and still enjoying video games is typically you earn more money! I have no problem buying games, new video cards, or stuff like that.

randy5554 said:

I got the same error 4 times yesterday... The disc looks perfectly clean to me. I'll probably end up replacing it soon.

Bad Karma said:
I'm 27 and really enjoy playing video games. As far as physically feeling old? Hell yes.....oh the aches and pains lol.

The best part about getting older and still enjoying video games is typically you earn more money! I have no problem buying games, new video cards, or stuff like that.

This is very true. When I want a new system, game, video card, etc. price isn't really that big of a factor any longer. Granted I refused to buy an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player and I won't get a PS3 right now...but it's only because I can't justify the expense at the moment. If I really wanted to I could, but I just think it's unwise. If I found out Tekken 6 would be on the PS3 this year I'd have no problem lining up at Best Buy.
I remember the days of having 5 games come out in 2 weeks and I had to choose the best one and hope I made the right decision.
Yesterday I bought Gears of War and an Nvidia G80 and didn't think twice about it.
Being an "old man" gamer isn't so bad!

Domingo said:
This is very true. When I want a new system, game, video card, etc. price isn't really that big of a factor any longer. Granted I refused to buy an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player and I won't get a PS3 right now...but it's only because I can't justify the expense at the moment. If I really wanted to I could, but I just think it's unwise. If I found out Tekken 6 would be on the PS3 this year I'd have no problem lining up at Best Buy.
I remember the days of having 5 games come out in 2 weeks and I had to choose the best one and hope I made the right decision.
Yesterday I bought Gears of War and an Nvidia G80 and didn't think twice about it.
Being an "old man" gamer isn't so bad!

amen. I just got FF12, Bully, the guide to FF12, a new monitor, the HD-DVD for Xbox 360, and GOW. :)

Ther is a part when your holding down Fenix house. It took me 45 min to beat that checkpoint. Stupid fucking Bombers and the dude with the exploding arrows all rush the house, and you dumb ass team mate Dom always dies. But I did it and made it to Act 5

the berzerker was painfully easy for me. didnt feel like much of a boss fight.

still loving the game.

UPDATE: this game is wayyy harder when you dont play on coop. idiot teamates die to much

I'm stuck on the fight where you get the bow for the first time. It's freaking impossible on Hardcore difficulty. I've spent about an hour and a half on just one huge fight. Anybody else stuck there, or has had trouble with this fight but beaten it?

Great game!

It reminds me a lot of Quake 2 in game speed and weapon damage. And, the multiplayer reminds me a lot of Rocket Arena 2. I'm sure there are other games out there that are set up similarly, but that's the first thing I thought.

In response to a few posts from yesterday, I am playing it on a 65" HDTV, with 7.1 Dolby Surround sound, and I'm sitting about 3 feet away from the my subwoofer. I am very impressed with the game's graphics AND sound! The comment made earlier that the sound is like a good sci-fi movie is dead on. Bullets getting bounced off of rocks even sound like they should. Doors creaking open are believable.

I also really like the feedback that the guns give, both through the controller and through the subwoofer. It's apparent that EPIC spend a lot of time and money on getting this game just right.

haha wtf...i was looking for my thread and didn't realize it was stickied.........sweeeeeeet...niiiiiiicccccceeeeee....anywa i told you muhvah fuckas. this game has officially owned each and one of your mothers. down with gaylo 2!

Guys PM Stevie and tell him you want the [H]ard GoW Review! ;)

erwos said:
Are you playing on hardcore? Casual is not the way this game is meant to be played.

Yes i'm on hardcore. what's that got to do with the samey gameplay and wafer story though? :p

randy5554 said:
I'm stuck on the fight where you get the bow for the first time. It's freaking impossible on Hardcore difficulty. I've spent about an hour and a half on just one huge fight. Anybody else stuck there, or has had trouble with this fight but beaten it?

I was stuck there for a while too.. Just kept trying, ended up using my sniper rifle and didnt pick up the bow.

Back