Gears of War Reviews/discussion/impressions.

I liked the Eurogamer review the most so far. They kept their heads about them in evaluating the gameplay and integrating some of the issues with the game into their conclusion. So far it's the only review I've seen that rates Gears of War below a 9. Whether they are right or not I won't know until tonight (when I pick up my preorder :D) but it seems that a lot of reviewers, especially 1up, were blown away by hype + pretty graphics and forgot to come to an objective and methodical conclusion based on of all elements of the game.

I'm super psyched for this game, but I don't expect it to be the be-all end-all of gaming. Hopefully I'll eat my words later!

OK, I played last night for like 4hrs, with a friend on xbox live, coop story mode.

Holy crap, the graphics are awesome, gameplay is awesome. The only negative thing I have to say, is we did get disconnected on xbox live, about 3-4 times.

It also takes some mad skills, we played on Casual mode, and it was pretty tough.

Sweet ass game though...

Well I finished the netire game last night on casual, and I must say that its the best game made in quite sometime. I havent played coop mode but did play some versus on live. As for the mulitplayer side of the game it has some what of a aquired taste. Its "different" in the sense that there are no respwans and all people want to do is chainsaw each other. Some might like the whole have one life thing, but I like to be able to get into some action quick, maybe do some dumb shit, but not have to wait till the next round to play again. This is the only gripe I have towards the game, not having a proper team deathmatch mode.

I haven't picked up the game, but from reading reviews I would like to see them add a few new multiplayer modes via an XBL content update/download:

- Deathmatch (Free-for-All)
- King of the Hill (Team-Based)
- Capture the Flag (Team-Based)

Capture the Flag isn't absolutely necassary but I would really like some standard Deathmatch and have a feeling that a King of the Hill mode would work well in the game.

EDIT: For those in Massachusetts still looking to pick up the game, Game Universe in Framingham has the standard edition in and is getting the Collector's Edition tomorrow. Store address: 1251 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01701

Also, I got an automated call from GameStop earlier stating that their Gears of War shipments have been delayed until tomorrow for some areas, and that you should call your respective stores before going down to pick up the game. At the time I called, my local store said they were expecting the shipments to come in later today, but that may not happen anymore. Once again, call before going down to the store.

if u live anywhere in the southeast.. example : FL,GA,SC.. ur not gettin the game today like me, IAM F'd

Syntaxx said:
if u live anywhere in the southeast.. example : FL,GA,SC.. ur not gettin the game today like me, IAM F'd
I got it yesterday and I live in Alabama "please no squid billy jokes"

Birmingham, AL, and we got a ton to all of our Gamestops and EBGames stores yesterday! I got mine!

The game is incredible. My girlfriend and I have been playing co-op over XBL on Hardcore and it's unbelievable. She loves this game just as much as I do ^_^ (Yes, she plays games, yes, she rides motorcycles with me, and yes...she's hot).

K600 said:
The game is incredible. My girlfriend and I have been playing co-op over XBL on Hardcore and it's unbelievable. She loves this game just as much as I do ^_^ (Yes, she plays games, yes, she rides motorcycles with me, and yes...she's hot).

Lucky bastard, I can't get my gf to even play Lumines!!!!

K600 said:

you better post pics or no one is gonna believe you. :p

K600 said:

one thing i've noticed about guys on this forum is yall got low standards....so hot to you is prolly like a true 4 or 5...

j/k

The game's fun. The aiming takes a little getting used to, but I can't wait to play co-op over Live.

Syntaxx said:

everywhere i called today said they didnt have it (as in hadnt received it yet) or it was delayed till tomorrow.

and i live in Alaska.

RGM-79(G)Pilot said:
and i live in Alaska.
People live there? :eek:

(I'll save the Ted Stevens joke)

Seriously though, you could either wait it out, or order it online somewhere with overnight shipping.

I ordered from Family Video with that deal they had, but I might cancel and just buy it local if they are going to be backordered for a while. I don't think I can wait much longer.

Great gameplay, great story, great graphics and sound. A hard combination to find in games these days. Kudos to epic for taking their time to perfect the game and not rushing to get it to consumers.

My only complaint is that is makes my 360 loud (as if it wasn't loud enough) the fans spin at max rpm but i've gotten used to it by now.

This game justifies buying the 360 and is the killer ap we've been waiting for.

IceWind said:
Damnit, Hardcore mode is kicking my ass.

QFT

Even in the first act, after you get out of prison is kinda difficult. Partially, I think, because the game is significantly different than your standard shooter.

This game really does feel like your playing a movie. The action is so intense on hardcore. Even the grunts are challenging. BTW which direction are you guys/gals? picking at the first split in the game (not the every beginning). I am scared to pick wrong. :p

ClearM4 said:
This game really does feel like your playing a movie. The action is so intense on hardcore. Even the grunts are challenging. BTW which direction are you guys/gals? picking at the first split in the game (not the every beginning). I am scared to pick wrong. :p
Uhh...I always pick left?

Klintor said:
Uhh...I always pick left?

Lol I pick right, always. Left to many Italians is bad luck.

But anyways me and Darkatom were kick some ass in Co-Op Hardcore.

can you play co-op with split screen or does it have to be over XBL?

After putting in about an hour or two on this game... I have a feeling I'm playing Time Crisis... hmm. Still, fun game so far!

loved it, but i beat casual mode in one sitting. Hope hardcore is just as fun

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=14788&type=wmv

GameTrailers review of Gears of War: 9.1

Their reviews are some of the best I've seen among videogame reviews. Their stuff is only for broadband users though.

It's not just that the reviews are tied to gameplay videos(which is nice, because it shows what happens when those screenshots are nicely babied moments in time), but that along with their praise, they're careful to make note of any criticism. And they go all the way through the game, including the multiplayer, and what the multiplayer environment is like as well when it differs from the singleplayer.

Been using the site for about a month now, ended up favoriting it.

This game blows me away. I really wish I had a good HDTV to play it on, but I'm waiting until BF and hopefully a decent LCD TV deal. It's kinda hard to put words to how good this game looks and it plays nearly as well (controls are a little clumsy to me).

tys90 said:
This game blows me away. I really wish I had a good HDTV to play it on, but I'm waiting until BF and hopefully a decent LCD TV deal. It's kinda hard to put words to how good this game looks and it plays nearly as well (controls are a little clumsy to me).

32 westy for under 500

Got it. Played it. Not super impressed so far. First mission is good to very good, the second is craptacular (yay leading a monster around... not. Couldn't think of any other, better quests??!?). Graphics are pretty, gameplay seems pretty solid, and I <3 co-op, but it's still not truly catching me. :(

Well, currently just got to act 3, it's a fun game yes, but the story so far is pretty much non-existent, the gameplay itself is very samey, but they managed to handle that well by making the areas interesting. The characters are wafer thin, they also look like big hulking retards, now normally, in movies i love cheesy characters, predator is a great example of this...but markus fenix is no Schwarzenegger.

If it wasn't for the graphics, this game wouldn't be getting the attention it has.

fizzelopeguss said:
Well, currently just got to act 3, it's a fun game yes, but the story so far is pretty much non-existent, the gameplay itself is very samey, but they managed to handle that well by making the areas interesting. The characters are wafer thin, they also look like big hulking retards, now normally, in movies i love cheesy characters, predator is a great example of this...but markus fenix is no Schwarzenegger.

If it wasn't for the graphics, this game wouldn't be getting the attention it has.
Are you playing on hardcore? Casual is not the way this game is meant to be played.

I havn't really gotten into the single player part yet but the multiplayer is ALOT of fun. It really brings back the feel of some of the older shooters for some reason, btw I am playing on a Panasonic '63 hdtv :D

erwos said:
Are you playing on hardcore? Casual is not the way this game is meant to be played.

I still can't escape the beserker on casual :p

Thinking about replaying the first act on hardcore to have some more fun, as I'm getting tired of playing dodgeball.

All I have to say is I played the game for 1.5 hrs last night and it felt like 10 minutes. I love it.

no wonder you talked negatively about it, you can't get past the beserker ;) what are you doing wrong? it's not that hard once you figure out where to go, took me a few trys.

lopoetve said:
I still can't escape the beserker on casual :p

Thinking about replaying the first act on hardcore to have some more fun, as I'm getting tired of playing dodgeball.

Back