Gears of War Reviews/discussion/impressions.

The general perception by casuals is that the Playstation 3 is more powerful. It would make sense to think that, considering it's coming a year later. The tech sounds fancy, but more and more developers seem to be coming out and saying that they're equal. Of course, most normal people will never hear such news...they'll have to compare for themselves.

The PS3 was never really more powerful than the X360 in a meaningful way. When a program is properly optimized, the cell might be a little faster(that IBM engineer stated 14% when properly optimized), but the X360's GPU is supposed to be a little more powerful. Both consoles are more equal in power than Sony will admit, and it's too bad that Nintendo decided to sit out the HD era of gaming this generation.

JethroXP said:
It's good, it's very good.

Wish I had a *working* 360 to play it on :(. I'm sending back Deadbox 360 #3 on Monday (and this time *I* have to pay for shipping the damn thing, WTF?), so with any luck I'll see #4 arrive--refurbed, scratched up and covered in greasy fingerprints no doubt, just like the other 2--by the time Wii launches.

Of course, by then I won't care anymore, I'll have Wii :D

For anyone still unsure of what to expect from the game, make sure you check out the latest Electronic Gaming Monthly. I was sorta psyched about the game, but after reading the article, you really won't be able to wait for Nov. 7th.

Even though I think using the Donnie Darko "Mad World" as the theme is sort of disjointed, the trailer was shown prior to some movies I've been to and the crowd definitely had a reaction. I hard at least 2-3 people saying the words "Chainsaw gun" afterward, so I'd say the game's at least fairly mainstream. It's definitely no Halo 3, but it's definitely a little bigger than most games that have a commercial.

I've had several non-gamers ask me what Gears of War was all about just from word-of-mouth alone.

Domingo said:
Even though I think using the Donnie Darko "Mad World" as the theme is sort of disjointed, the trailer was shown prior to some movies I've been to and the crowd definitely had a reaction. I hard at least 2-3 people saying the words "Chainsaw gun" afterward, so I'd say the game's at least fairly mainstream. It's definitely no Halo 3, but it's definitely a little bigger than most games that have a commercial.

What? That commercial is easily the best game commercial I've ever seen, ever. It made me immediately want to have the game to play. Perfect in every aspect.

Is the 7th the in stores day or the ship day? 31st was FFXII in store day, which I like. I'm tired of this shipping day stuff, just tell me when I can buy the thing.

bildad said:
Is the 7th the in stores day or the ship day? 31st was FFXII in store day, which I like. I'm tired of this shipping day stuff, just tell me when I can buy the thing.

My brother told me that at Gamestop it's in store day. They will have them at midnight tonight.

It's an annoying street date because some stores will have it that day, others will have it on the 12th, while others will have it sometime in-between.
Looking back, I'd almost rather they said "everyone can sell it on the 12th" rather than having this disjointed release based on shipping.

TekSomniaK said:
My brother told me that at Gamestop it's in store day. They will have them at midnight tonight.

Just called my local and they told me it ships on the 7th, and preorders can get it on the 8th. If you don't have it preordered with them, you can't have it until the 12th. These stores and their preorder crap is out of control. I'll check BB or CC instead.

I have to say, I watched the video online, but I just saw the commercial on TV and it wow'd me again. I would have to agree that that is the absolute best game commercial I have ever seen. It has me seriously comtemplating buying a 360........ Sigh........to bad I hate playing FPS's with controllers :( . *hopes for it to come out on pc*

Here's a question for anyone who's played it - do you aim with the right stick or the left one? I think one reason Resident Evil 4 worked so well is because you aimed with the left stick...which gamers typically are more adept with. Yes, you can't "run 'n gun" quite the the same way, but I was curious if the stop/start/cover aspect of GOW was set-up like that, too.

I would imagine, based on nearly every other console FPS/TPS being this way, that you can swap the sticks basic functionality... or I would hope.

CmaN3 said:
I have to say, I watched the video online, but I just saw the commercial on TV and it wow'd me again. I would have to agree that that is the absolute best game commercial I have ever seen. It has me seriously comtemplating buying a 360........ Sigh........to bad I hate playing FPS's with controllers :( . *hopes for it to come out on pc*

You will get used to it after a while. I can now say that I am better playing an FPS with a controller than I was with the mouse on the PC. There are rumors that GoW might be coming to Windows Vista in the future as well.

I just got a call from EB, and it will be arriving tomarrow! I can't wait!!!

junehhan said:
I just got a call from EB, and it will be arriving tomarrow! I can't wait!!!
My local store said they were getting them on the 8th.

I'm going to have to check with other stores in my area. :(

junehhan said:
You will get used to it after a while. I can now say that I am better playing an FPS with a controller than I was with the mouse on the PC. There are rumors that GoW might be coming to Windows Vista in the future as well.

Then you were never any good with the mouse. Practice won't make up for useing analog stick. But no worries this is a third person shooter, which will probably end up being better with a gamepad.

I'd like to see this in first person on the PC, but we'll see.

In all the interviews, Cliffy stated that this was a TPS by design, so i'd say no FPS for you on the ol' PC.

I'll be at my local Walmart at 12:01am.

Kahnvex said:
In all the interviews, Cliffy stated that this was a TPS by design, so i'd say no FPS for you on the ol' PC.

I'll be at my local Walmart at 12:01am.

You'll be lucky if its out yet. New software generally goes out when first shift gets there in the morning (I've been too early before, as I work third shift). Gears is bigger than what I've been there early for, though.

I've bought numerous releases at midnight at walmart, including World of Warcraft, various dvds, other console and pc games, and so on. 24 hr walmarts know that there is a big incentive as an always open retailer...the first adopters buy first and there are lots of them. If you stock the shelves at midnight, you beat BB, CC, and all of the other normal hours stores. I was a manager at walmart for a time and they're very aware of this phenomena.

just got off the phone with walmart electronics in Stafford, TX (just outside of Houston), and it will be available after 12.

DrGib said:
just got off the phone with walmart electronics in Stafford, TX (just outside of Houston), and it will be available after 12.

That's awesome. I wish the local Wal-Mart employees weren't so inept...

K600 said:
That's awesome. I wish the local Wal-Mart employees weren't so inept...

not so fast, i showed up at 5min after midnight. And GoW was nowhere to be found. So I asked the woman if she would check on it for me. At the time they were pulling pallets of electronics from the back and dropping them off in the area. So after she couldn't find it in the back she and I dug through about 3 pallets of crap out on the retail floor and still couldn't find it. So I left empty handed.......... have to wait until tomorrow

Just picked it up. It is released here in Hong Kong. The limited edition is around US$ 40. Well worth the money - nice packaging and booklets and stuff. So far the game feels smooth and plays like a blast! Very good.

Wow... I must say that with all the hype I expected to see review sites ripping it apart.

Bad news for those who didn't preorder... I've called Best Buy, CC, and Walmart and none of them are getting stock in until tomorrow. My local gamestop in Atlanta has 30 copies that are arriving at about 3pm so I'll take my chances over there.

no dude best buy will have it at around 2:00pm trust me all the ones in rural ny have at least 80 copies on order. However bestbuy always says release dates are a day after their dates so ppl dont call all day

'round here the stores are reporting a release of the 8th and 9th. Oddly enough Wal-Mart even had an official looking display (I stopped in on my way to work just in case) that said it will arrive on the 9th.
My closest Best Buy claimed that they wouldn't have it today...but likely tomorrow. I might try CompUSA and some of the other stores.
This is why I don't like this whole "mixed" launch thing. Even some of the local pre-buy shops aren't getting it until tomorrow. It's annoying that they had an official launch of the 12th...but somehow today is some sort of half-assed partial launch?

Domingo said:
'round here the stores are reporting a release of the 8th and 9th. Oddly enough Wal-Mart even had an official looking display (I stopped in on my way to work just in case) that said it will arrive on the 9th.
My closest Best Buy claimed that they wouldn't have it today...but likely tomorrow. I might try CompUSA and some of the other stores.
This is why I don't like this whole "mixed" launch thing. Even some of the local pre-buy shops aren't getting it until tomorrow. It's annoying that they had an official launch of the 12th...but somehow today is some sort of half-assed partial launch?

Today has always been the hard launch of the game itself. The 12th, Emergence Day, is more of a giant advertising campaign.

Store availablilty differs as it always does.

Willseyvilleny said:
no dude best buy will have it at around 2:00pm trust me all the ones in rural ny have at least 80 copies on order. However bestbuy always says release dates are a day after their dates so ppl dont call all day
I called BB @ 5th ave ny about 30 minutes ago and they told me they won't have it until tomorrow... I know they're lying but I'm curious when they're gonna put it out.

doesnt have it i just called they say tomorrow. i had my co worker check it in rss (bestbuy inventory system) it says 110 are in transit for 2pm

Back