Gears of War Reviews/discussion/impressions.

randy5554

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
445
dawtips said:
I was stuck there for a while too.. Just kept trying, ended up using my sniper rifle and didnt pick up the bow.
Unfortunately, I have the shotgun instead of the sniper...

I will definitely get it tonight. I have to calm down. Everytime I die, I end up dying even quicker the next try because I get angry. :D
 

dawtips

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Messages
413
randy5554 said:
Unfortunately, I have the shotgun instead of the sniper...

I will definitely get it tonight. I have to calm down. Every time I die, I end up dying even quicker the next try because I get angry. :D

The part that pissed me off so much about that fight, was the 2 minute run back in to action... why wouldn't they set the checkpoint after that run and dialogue... beats me
 

randy5554

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
445
dawtips said:
The part that pissed me off so much about that fight, was the 2 minute run back in to action... why wouldn't they set the checkpoint after that run and dialogue... beats me
Amen to that. If I have to hear "Look at all that juice" one more time, I'm going to break the disc in half.
 

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
1,136
randy5554 said:
Amen to that. If I have to hear "Look at all that juice" one more time, I'm going to break the disc in half.

That drove me nuts. It took me four or five tries to beat that area on Hardcore...in the end, I basically used a pseudo-aggro technique and just lured them away from the little pack they formed.
 

mETRo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,045
Hulk said:
Guys PM Stevie and tell him you want the [H]ard GoW Review! ;)

Looks like that's going to be coming soon, he's on Act 4 on Hardcore right now.

This game is insane. I love every minute of it, even when I have to re-do check points over and over. Everything about the game is great. $60 well spent.
 
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Messages
45
randy5554 said:
I'm stuck on the fight where you get the bow for the first time. It's freaking impossible on Hardcore difficulty. I've spent about an hour and a half on just one huge fight. Anybody else stuck there, or has had trouble with this fight but beaten it?

I died loads of times as well, i ended up saying stuff it and went right with baird and cole, that way all 4 of you can cover each other, and keep on your toes as well, because more spawn after you kill the 1'st group.
 

Sky15

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 1, 2001
Messages
3,002
Me, Darkatom(SLI Nuke), Cut U so Bad, and Darksidetx, and my other friend just had a blast doing some multiplayer action.
 

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
4,880
What I find funny is how concerned so many people were that GoW was going to be a very short game. When a game is this good, the length of it is meaningless.
 

tys90

Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
821
junehhan said:
What I find funny is how concerned so many people were that GoW was going to be a very short game. When a game is this good, the length of it is meaningless.
I'm going to be playing through it atleast 1 more time on insane, and who knows how long that is going to take. Replayability is pretty high for being a FPS, with co-op and the difficulty levels being so much different.
 

randy5554

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
445
Finally beat Act 3! My final successful fight at the station took about 25 minutes! I was almost shaking as I killed the last Locus. If I had lost after all of that time, I probably would have wimped out and done that part on Casual difficulty. :D
 

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
4,380
damn guys you got me psyched, I didn't even know it was available lol.. looks like I'll have something to keep me busy this weekend :D
 
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
736
Best 360 game so far. The campaign is really fun, but its way funner (I know its not a word) playing coop. COOP Pwns11111111 I haven't played any mp so I can't comment. I'm going to have a hard time balancing all of these games. Im still playing Fifa 07, I picked up COD3 on Wendsday, I picked up Gears Yesterday, and today I am picking up Viva Pinata! During Thanksgiving I am going to be gaming, alot :p
 

Darkatom

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,185
Darkatom said:
Well I finished the netire game last night on casual, and I must say that its the best game made in quite sometime. I havent played coop mode but did play some versus on live. As for the mulitplayer side of the game it has some what of a aquired taste. Its "different" in the sense that there are no respwans and all people want to do is chainsaw each other. Some might like the whole have one life thing, but I like to be able to get into some action quick, maybe do some dumb shit, but not have to wait till the next round to play again. This is the only gripe I have towards the game, not having a proper team deathmatch mode.

I just had to come back and correct my opinon on the versus modes of Gears of War. I think that the key to having fun playing online is playing against and with people you know. That way you actually have some teamwork going on instead of just silence.Its just too bad you cant invite feinds into a ranked game. But anyways, i'm interested to hear your guy's think about the online experience.
 

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Hulk said:
Guys PM Stevie and tell him you want the [H]ard GoW Review! ;)

Our Gears of War review was hung up by a few things...first the reviewer's evaluation discs that went out were bad, that is why only one or two reviews went live on the first day (9am Eastern Tuesday) and only a dozen total in between now and then. Funny thing is, most reviewers got the same bad disc...not sure how other reviews came out so fast considering all the eval copies were DOA.

anyhow...and then there was THIS....didn't impact things much but FUNNY none the less:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcavBG7OMWw

LOL!!!

You can see the MS confidential eval disc in the video next to the retail one.

Anyhow, it will be "done" today we'll most likely have it edited over the weekend and posted.

The game is a blast, only a handful of lil' things, etc. etc. I'm digging co-op, Tycho (penny-arcade) is my co-op partner, he's mucho-bettero than I am.

Anyhow, the review is coming soon. No worries.
 

g9s7x

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
81
The game is of excellent quality but I have never liked 2nd person shooters. I feel as though I'm directing the action in the game rather than being a part of it. It's hard to explain, does anyone feel the same way?
 

lesman

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
3,913
Can't wait for it Steve!

Anyways, I've been playing it for about an hour and I'm totally drawn in! The graphics are beautiful, the controls are near-perfect and the action is incredibly fun and intense. Great experience so far!
 

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
1,136
We should get some [H] Execution going later on tonight/this weekend.
 

Kahnvex

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
3,297
personally, I absolutely love the online modes. Aside from the complaints echoed about the lack of maps, I think the maps that are there are very nicely done. I really like the slower paced style of play, and I think the cover features, and the way the game just feels when you play it.

Easily the best game for my 360 as far as action is concerned. it's really making me hope they take Halo and give it some sneak and peak features.

Even though Halo2 ruined "pick your own" team gaming on Live, I really wish for it on ranked matches in Gears. I will basically never play ranked matches after the emergence day event, simply because of the lack of this feature. MS needs to totally revamp their thoughts on that, especially as it pertains to online group based games. People have been cheating on the PC for years, but we can still pick our own teams in almost all those games.

And yes, I know we have non-ranked for friend teams, but they don't give you achievment unlocks in that mode. How am I going to get my "Seriously..." achievment if I don't play in ranked? ;)
 

L1ght

Gawd
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
865
gahh... you guys are making me want to play this game SO bad. :eek:

My (Second)360 will be arriving next week, first one was DOA. :(
 

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
L1ght said:
gahh... you guys are making me want to play this game SO bad. :eek:

My (Second)360 will be arriving next week, first one was DOA. :(

It'll be there soon grasshoppa, soon ;)

One of the reasons you hear me laugh in that video (linked above) where my [H] Console 360 dies is because the people at MS have their system down pat...so I am not worried about a replacement soon. You will be swapped out in no time. Sucks that it happened BUT if it is going to happen, at least it is with someone that uses express delivery both ways at no expense to you.

I jumped on the phone (after I dried my tears) and the lady had me a replacement DHL box on the way in less than 10 minutes. I have been through plenty of DOA electronic products in my life, none have been easier to take care of than this.

So, while it sucks to have your 360 arrive DOA or do the red-ring-o-death on you like mine just did, at least it is being taken care of.
 

Lamont

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
3,868
Just got a chance to go through single player a bit more. Ran into a few glitches where an event won't happen or a guy got stuck. Also, in the middle of a few firefights the game decides to load, and some elements of the world/characters will be stuck in an LOD/MIP level. And why have squad control if they won't do it most of the time?

Of course this doesn't keep it from being a badass game. I like the reward of reloading correctly.
 

ClearM4

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 5, 2005
Messages
2,320
Anyone see 1ups article: 10 reasons the PS2 won't be able to repeat the success of the PS2, lol.

Check out reason #8.

"PS2's launch wasn't that strong, but it released with SSX, which at least felt like a brand new experience."

"The closest thing PS3 has to a killer app is Resistance. Which sucks, since all we want to do is play Gears of War."

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3155102
 

tys90

Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
821
MP with a buddy is a lot of fun. If you know the people playing it's a LOT better. I like how your pace kinda sets the pace for that round. If you decide to push and play fast, you can usually force other people to do the same so you aren't always waiting around behind corners.
 

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 28, 2002
Messages
3,564
Just played through the campaign with a friend... I'm impressed!

Major kudos to Epic Games for putting proper cooperative play into this game!
 

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
1,136
]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
I still havn't tried MP yet. I'm in Act5 (I think), fighting Raam on the train.

You got the trial by fire tonight, friend :p
 

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 18, 2001
Messages
7,978
I spent a few hours playing this game online. That bow is the cheapest weapon on earth. If can easily kill you when you are behind cover because all one has to do is shoot you in your armor which sticks out.

Other then that, the game is great but the bow really ruins the MP. I don't know what the hell Cliffy was thinking.
 

IceWindus

n00b
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
10
Staples said:
I spent a few hours playing this game online. That bow is the cheapest weapon on earth. If can easily kill you when you are behind cover because all one has to do is shoot you in your armor which sticks out.

Other then that, the game is great but the bow really ruins the MP. I don't know what the hell Cliffy was thinking.

BS. You just need to find better cover and return fire better, its not that over the top. You could bitch the Hammer of Dawn is cheap to but guess what, your a sitting duck while your using it and its a slow refire rate, easily prey to someone with chainsaw
 

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
1,136
IceWind said:
BS. You just need to find better cover and return fire better, its not that over the top. You could bitch the Hammer of Dawn is cheap to but guess what, your a sitting duck while your using it and its a slow refire rate, easily prey to someone with chainsaw

I haven't had a problem against the Torque Bow either. It's really easy to avoid if you stay mobile at a distance. It's not easy to nail a moving target with that thing.

The sniper rifle isn't easy to use either. Anything less than a headshot is fairly worthless unless someone else is softening them up at the same time.
 

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
8,878
IceWind said:
Damnit, Hardcore mode is kicking my ass.

yep

i guess this game is showing my age to me

is it just me, or am i dying waaayyy more often in casual single player mode than i have seen anyone else...???

i went with the advice of many of the reviewers and started on hardcore, so as not to spoil the game with a "too easy" casual setting, but found myself having to drop back to casual to actually enjoy the game

i played it for about an hour, maybe two last night, and i am barely past the breaking out part at the beginning......

i think it is partly because i am used to using a mouse and kb for shooters.....trying to aim precisely with the thumbstick is horribly difficult for me, it seems way too sensitive, overcompensation on almost every shot, ending up in a spray n' pray, wasting alot of ammo

havent even been able to pull off one single melee with the chainsaw bayonet....always end up dead before i can kill one guy.....

the game looks awesome, but i am afraid i suck at it horribly......maybe i should ebay it and use that money to grab Forza 2 when it is released, i tend to be really good at PGR3 and games like that.....but these shooters on console just kick my ass
 

JethroXP

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
1,181
nobody_here said:
yep

i guess this game is showing my age to me

is it just me, or am i dying waaayyy more often in casual single player mode than i have seen anyone else...???

i went with the advice of many of the reviewers and started on hardcore, so as not to spoil the game with a "too easy" casual setting, but found myself having to drop back to casual to actually enjoy the game

i played it for about an hour, maybe two last night, and i am barely past the breaking out part at the beginning......

i think it is partly because i am used to using a mouse and kb for shooters.....trying to aim precisely with the thumbstick is horribly difficult for me, it seems way too sensitive, overcompensation on almost every shot, ending up in a spray n' pray, wasting alot of ammo

havent even been able to pull off one single melee with the chainsaw bayonet....always end up dead before i can kill one guy.....

the game looks awesome, but i am afraid i suck at it horribly......maybe i should ebay it and use that money to grab Forza 2 when it is released, i tend to be really good at PGR3 and games like that.....but these shooters on console just kick my ass

I was having a lot of the same problems at first, but I found my solution was all about pacing. You don't always need to go find your enemies, a lot of times you can stay behind cover and they will come to you, allowing you to shoot at them while they are uncovered, instead of vice versa. Also found that to use the chainsaw you need to rev it up first, and you pretty much have to pop around a corner to use it because if they can shoot you, it disrupts the chainsaw. Again, cover is key. Use cover and the game plays beautifully, avoid and it and the game can get frustrating fast.
 

Lamont

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
3,868
Well, I try to nail as many chainsaw kills as possible, when they yell "reload" I move in and dice them up. Had the same problem, you can't run and gun, but when I started playing it like FSW, it is actually pretty easy on hardcore. A lot of things are predictable: You see lots of places to take cover? Firefight is coming up.
 

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
1,136
Avoiding the chainsaw is relatively easy as well. A single shot from the pistol can disrupt the rev of the saw, which typically puts the opponent in panic mode (I'm nearly out of ammo and my chainsaw isn't working right).

It seems that a lot of people forget to use the dive function when things get up close and personal.
 

IceWindus

n00b
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
10
K600 said:
Avoiding the chainsaw is relatively easy as well. A single shot from the pistol can disrupt the rev of the saw, which typically puts the opponent in panic mode (I'm nearly out of ammo and my chainsaw isn't working right).

It seems that a lot of people forget to use the dive function when things get up close and personal.

What we need are "The Lazorsss!!"

shooting.gif
 
Top