Gears of War Reviews/discussion/impressions.

Have been playing the game for about an hour and i have to say some of the best graphics i have ever seen (playing in HD). I called like 4 different ebgames/gamestops and found one that was selling to people without preorders! what luck!!

Good luck to everyone getting a copy!

The gamestop in huntsville got a few extra copies for people without preorders. I picked mine up without a preorder this afternoon.

utekineir said:
theyre selling them at the gamestop in cambridge ma, but you gotta have it preordered,

yes that is the store where he waved the game in front of me but wouldn't let me buy it. instead i went to BB and played 2 player guitar hero 2 for an hour, never played that before wicked fun

Gamestop
Brea, Ca (Imperial HWY)

In stock ... call to reserve your copy. The shipment was delayed and the district manager is driving store to store now delivering copies. I reserved mine 30 minutes ago.

:cool:

Please have all of your GoW discussion here, unless you really need to make a separate GoW thread, in which case, I'd appreciate it if you'd PM a mod first to consult wether another thread should be created. Thanks. :) Any review links can be PM'ed to me for linkage.

Reviewed at Team Xbox

Reviewed at IGN

Reviewed at 1Up

Reviewed at Gamespot

Reviewed at Yahoo Games

Reviewed at Play Magazine Online

Reviewed at Game Daily

Reviewed at Game Brink

Reviewed at Eurogamer

Welcome to 8am today ...

Teamxbox - 9.6
1UP Review - 10/10
Gamespot - 9.6
Yahoo Games - 4.5/5
Xplay(TV) - 5/5
Official Xbox Magazine - 10/10
IGN - 9.4
Official Xbox Magazine UK - 9/10
Playboy Magazine - 4 bunnies out of 4 bunnies
Play Magazine Online - 10/10
Daily Game - 9/10
Gamebrink - 9.7/10
Eurogamer - 8/10

Not a real big surprise. Anything using the Unreal 3 engine should be a huge success.

I am hopeful GOW will find its way to other consoles with all its success.

SNIP3R said:
I am hopeful GOW will find its way to other consoles with all its success.

NEVER going to happen seeing as its published by Microsoft Game Studios.

theNoid said:
NEVER going to happen seeing as its published by Microsoft Game Studios.

Its funny how those things change once alot of money can be made.

Im not too concerned if GOW never leaves the 360 and comes to PC.
If they prefer to keep it on consoles for the kiddies, I wont lose any sleep over it. :D

SNIP3R said:
Its funny how those things change once alot of money can be made.

Like, HALO, It might turn up on PC eventually, but I somehow doubt Sony will get any of this pie.

Earlier today 3 people on my friends list were playing Gears of War, out of about 12 or 15 total people on my list. I have a feeling I'll see a lot more on it, over the next couple days, when other stores get their copies in.

Man, I need to get my 360. :(

so explain to me why you showed up way late to the party, then locked all of the other threads on GOW? to post in this undeveloped thread?

Microsoft does it again. Rips away a game that was slated to be 360 and PC and makes it exclusively 360. Is Microsoft trying to kill PC gaming? Fawkers.

Nate_MachV said:
Microsoft does it again. Rips away a game that was slated to be 360 and PC and makes it exclusively 360. Is Microsoft trying to kill PC gaming? Fawkers.

Since when was GoW slated to be on PC? It has always been a 360 only game. MS has actually been pushing very hard to improve the PC as a gaming platform.

Come on, let's keep this for impressions, general discussion of the game.

You need to merge the original with this thread. It already had a good discussion going.

I put it in and played it for a couple hours. I am a PC FPS through and through but this game is good. I am going to watch the collector's edition DVD right now.

I really want to try this co-op...

Nate_MachV said:

Dude, wtf are you smoking its been a 360 game since DAY ONE.

Just got done with a 4 hour session. Want to know what this game is like in a few words ?

GRAW
Aliens (James Cameron)
Contra
Sex

Take all 4 of those, throw them in a blender with amazing cinematics, immersive storyline and bone riddling gameplay and you've got GOTY, hands down ... no argument whatsoever.

If you do not own a 360, time to mount up. This game has blown the lid off what I've ever imagined possible this next gen... I feel like I'm playing out the best movie ever made. That means characters, story, action, cinematics, gunplay, dialogue, art, graphics ... EVERYTHING.

Will not dissapoint, will not dissapoint.

IceWind said:
Dude, wtf are you smoking its been a 360 game since DAY ONE.

"Gears on PC?
Rumors of a Gears of War release for the PC have been around since the announcement that the game would be an Xbox 360 exclusive. However, these rumors might not be so far from reality.

Microsoft’s J Allard first spilt the beans in an interview in May 2005, saying that Gears was exclusive to “Xbox and PC”. Shortly later, Epic Games’ Mark Rein clarified.

“Gears of War is an Xbox360 exclusive. We're developing it specifically to take advantage of the power and features of the console. All of the work on Gears between now and when we ship is toward creating the ultimate Xbox360 game.

Could we, in the future, adapt Gears for Windows just as Microsoft did with Halo? Sure we could and, as you can see from J Allard's comments, Microsoft is clearly cool with that idea.”

Gears lead designer Cliff Bleszinski has also indicated that he’s open to the possibility of bringing Gears to the PC, possibly with some PC-only bonus content."

!@#@#^#$&!

None of the stores I went to today had it yet, and for some odd reason no one at circuitcity is even "in the know" enough to have known about the game which had a HUGE standee display in their store ?? Sigh, guess they're way too cool for school.

!@#$!$!!!!~!!!

I called EBGames in San Mateo, California at 8:30 pm.
They said they were receiving a shipment about that time.
I did not preorder but they said they had extra copies.
I drove there (about 10 minutes) waited in line and picked up my game.
All I can say is SWEET!

This games production is far beyond anything I could of imagined for a next gen title. And as far as the cut scenes go.....WOW.

What do the people think that are using high def TVs and Dolby digital surround sound?? Are you just in awe on how this game feels. Like one previous poster said, its like being a part of a really good sci-fi movie.

theNoid said:
Just got done with a 4 hour session. Want to know what this game is like in a few words ?

GRAW
Aliens (James Cameron)
Contra
Sex

Take all 4 of those, throw them in a blender with amazing cinematics, immersive storyline and bone riddling gameplay and you've got GOTY, hands down ... no argument whatsoever.

Aawwwwww hellz yeah. Picking mine up today and I can not wait. I'm glad the game includes 'sex' too, because between this and FFXII I surely won't be getting any.

The online component seems a bit limited based upon all the reviews out there. What is there is good, but there's just not much to it. I'll probably try to borrow it before I decide to buy it.

I think it's one of the best games ever made and I personally think it's better than Halo 1&2 because it's so much more realistic, to give you and example last night I was playing and myself and the other 3 linebackers were in kind of a confined space and the screechers ambushed us toward the end of the game and were all shooting and blood's flying everywhere and one of screechers lands wright behind me and the moment I turn around to blast it the other guy blast's it with a shotgun and it sprays blood all over the screen and I couldn't see shit for like 10 seconds :eek:
I think Epic just gave Bungie a big kick in the ass! :D

i would say this is the best game ive played so far. Co-Op is really fun if you havent tried it yet. the online is somewhat limited, but Co-op on hard more or Insane is just insane :D

Picked mine up yesterday at 2PM sharp from my local Gamestop in the Atlanta metro area.

Two cool things:

1) Heat waves rise from your gun as you reload if you are in the middle of a fight.
2) Hearing my buddy say, "Whoa!", as I accidentally blew some chunks off of a couch in the hallway of the level I was on, eventually splitting it in half.

One not so cool:

I can't seem to access any multiplayer elements of the game. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? All the games seem to have several people in them, but I can't join! (booo!)

Perhaps it is a router config issue I'll need to tweak later, but if someone has a suggestion, please feel free to voice it.

For now, I'm just biding my time until I can get home from work. :D

-Crim

Mr. Crimson said:
Picked mine up yesterday at 2PM sharp from my local Gamestop in the Atlanta metro area.

Two cool things:

1) Heat waves rise from your gun as you reload if you are in the middle of a fight.
2) Hearing my buddy say, "Whoa!", as I accidentally blew some chunks off of a couch in the hallway of the level I was on, eventually splitting it in half.

One not so cool:

I can't seem to access any multiplayer elements of the game. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? All the games seem to have several people in them, but I can't join! (booo!)

Perhaps it is a router config issue I'll need to tweak later, but if someone has a suggestion, please feel free to voice it.

For now, I'm just biding my time until I can get home from work. :D

-Crim

hey man,
I noticed that heat wave too!!! isnt that such a cool feature? What about when he picks up the shotgun and says "nicee".
I also like the action reload feature..

PoweredBySoy said:
Aawwwwww hellz yeah. Picking mine up today and I can not wait. I'm glad the game includes 'sex' too, because between this and FFXII I surely won't be getting any.

Hahaha, yep I'm going to lose some sex due to this game.

Literally [H] gamers ... this game is up there with the best of ALL TIME. I mean in sheer production quality and immersiveness ... like I said its like playing a James Camerson sci fi movie.

I'm playing on a 61" DLP in 720p and I literally feel like I'm in the damn game.. its beyond anything I could have ever imagined. Gaming just lept to a whole new level for me.

The action reload is a very nice feature. Reloading has always been a hands-off thing in games, nice to have a bit of interaction with it. Perhaps future games will now try to adopt an interactive reload into their gameplay. It sounds like such a small thing but it turned out to be a noticable and well-wrought addition in a place you wouldn't think to look.

Played for about 2 hours, the gameplay was pretty fun! And no question, the graphics are beautiful and smooth. The controls weren't as responsive as I'd hoped. There's a bit of delay between hitting the A button to take cover and when he actually does it, about a half-second. Also, maybe this was intentionally designed to discourage overuse, but if you're dashing alongside a wall, then reach the corner of it, it's awkward to just stop and lean around that corner. You'd have to end the dash and come to a full stop (takes time), then take cover(takes time). It's odd that running and slamming in backwards against a waist-high wall for cover is easier than just stopping to look around a corner.

Took a little bit to recognize that the chainsaw isn't a press-to-swing, it's a press-to-activate melee like the quake gauntlet. You hold it down to rev it up to the point where you can use it, and then after that you just bump into the enemies to automatically execute the kill animation. The other guns are press-to-hit gun-butting. If they use their instant gun-butt, it'll interrupt your revving and the chainsaw will never activate. But if you get the chainsaw activated, it'll one-shot them. This makes the chainsaw a better offensive tool while the gun-butting is better for self-defense.

The Y-button is a "look at objects of interest" button, and it's suprisingly handy as a means of locating your next objective, and it's a great substitute for the waypoint radar in order to help maintain immersion. I'm assuming this was the goal since they're tried to keep the interface to a minimum.

Characters look amazing, but I would have liked more distinctive shapes. Human enemies and the monstrous enemy look very similar except for the face since everybody is shaped like a 300lb bodybuilder.

Level design is superb, really amazing stuff.
Top notch sound effects, and pretty good voice acting, though their lines are hit miss.

It's a great game! But certainly not worth 10/10, a mythical score whose relevance is symbolic of perfection and the neverending drive to improve. As you may have seen in the 1up article he mentions several times being conflicted since he saw a number of "reasons this game shouldn't get a 10" and at the end, commented that the number of "reasons this game should get a 10" were more numerous...

What he should've done instead is weigh the good and bad and take both into account rather than just ignore flaws he's already admitted and give it a perfect score anyway.. If this is a 10, what if GOW2 is better? Would that be a theoretical 11 out of 10?

Back