Gears of War Reviews/discussion/impressions.

finished the game with a friend cooping the whole way. After killing raam I said something like..."wait, did we just beat the game?"

my only regret is I wanted it to keep going forever.

Finished single player on hardcore, the most fun I've had in a game in a good while. Overall I think the game is fantastic, even if I do occasionally get frustrated by the controls. Starting multiplayer now, happy to join any [H]ers out there, if you don't mind the fact that I undeniably suck. ;)

Tag = Baredor

The only frustrating thing is dying because Dom gets in the way. Getting stuck, causing the Berzerker to get stuck in an animation loop (I had to reset the game), blocking the door and doing nothing while you get plowed, doing nothing in a fire-fight and my favorite, running into a battle when it starts and getting creamed.

NPC's don't seem smart at all. They do not go after what is the most dangerous threat, I am on the last boss now, and he's just useless.

Well, it's 'Emergence Day' so be sure to jump on live and play some ranked matches or at least download the free theme and gamer pic.

Its kind of wierd, this is the big launch event and I already beat the sp game and now I'm on act 2 on Insane. Still a great game

Darkatom and I just beat GoW on Co-op Hardcore I got all the Hardcore Achievments and the DOM ones. Now were going back and I'm playing as Marcus on Insane mode, and to collect the 4 COG tags we have left.

It took us about 10 hours I'de say to beat it on HArdcore.

Amazing game. I think this is one the very very few games that I have went through twice already and now a thirde to get all the SP achievments.

Lamont said:
The only frustrating thing is dying because Dom gets in the way. Getting stuck, causing the Berzerker to get stuck in an animation loop (I had to reset the game), blocking the door and doing nothing while you get plowed, doing nothing in a fire-fight and my favorite, running into a battle when it starts and getting creamed.

NPC's don't seem smart at all. They do not go after what is the most dangerous threat, I am on the last boss now, and he's just useless.

Even in Co-Op your sidekicks, Cole and Baird, are dumb as rocks. Fortunately they don't spend a whole lot of time with you, but when they do, it would at least be nice if they participated.

I just finished the game on Hardcore in Co-Op. That was probably the most satisfying gaming experience I've had in years.

Having played through parts of the game alone, and most of the game in Co-Op, I get the sense that it was really desgined for two people, rather than one person and three bots, because the difficulty of the paths that you get split up on varies from encounter to encounter. There are times when I was doing most of the shooting by virtue of my position, and other times I was ducking and hiding most of the time while my teammate did the shooting. I think it's a much better game in Co-Op.

JethroXP said:
Even in Co-Op your sidekicks, Cole and Baird, are dumb as rocks. Fortunately they don't spend a whole lot of time with you, but when they do, it would at least be nice if they participated.

I just finished the game on Hardcore in Co-Op. That was probably the most satisfying gaming experience I've had in years.

Having played through parts of the game alone, and most of the game in Co-Op, I get the sense that it was really desgined for two people, rather than one person and three bots, because the difficulty of the paths that you get split up on varies from encounter to encounter. There are times when I was doing most of the shooting by virtue of my position, and other times I was ducking and hiding most of the time while my teammate did the shooting. I think it's a much better game in Co-Op.

Order them to attack ;) Really, if you don't, they won't do much of anything.

both sp and mp are insanely fun.. problem is I get my ass handed to me every mp game, lol, guess I just need more practice..

lopoetve said:
Order them to attack ;) Really, if you don't, they won't do much of anything.
When I order them, I get some reply like "Negative!!".

I'm gonna go back and learn where all the triggers are for events. I found one where you can use the Hammer of Dawn but only in a small area, move any more and you'll get the "Hammer of Dawn is offline". But while you have it, you can roast the guy on the gattling gun, and his buddy before they "activate".

make sure you're pointing at a place/enemy when you do attack. They'll do it, eventually.

JethroXP said:

Our review will be posted in the morning, and trust me, I feel your pain.

I won't spoil the review but I will tell you this, we eventually nicknamed Dominic "Down Again Dom" ...because no matter where you went to look for him, he was down again. Where's Dom? Down again.

We went through the game on Casual, Hardcore, The complete first act on Insane and my man "Down Again Dom" spent more time on the ground than dirt. Once I learned NOT to try to save him, things got much better. :)

Steve said:
Once I learned NOT to try to save him, things got much better. :)
That's what I do, because after that firefight is over, he's ok. It seems the enemy doesn't do anything to him while he's down. The only time he died was because of the berzerker.

Down Again Dom. Hahaha!!

But in Co-Op it was awesome. Me and my girlfriend played through it over the weekend. I love that you can actually USE splitscreen without a 2nd 360 unlike Prey or Quake 4. Besides with a 32inch HDTV splitscreen isn't so bad ;). With her as Dom and me we played on Casual to get the achievements. Next we're gonna hit up insane. Raam was a crappy final boss. Although the first Berserker was SWEET. I literally dropped my controller and my jaw listening to her tell me that NONE of my weapons could hurt this thing. My girlfriend and my friend Autumn laughed like hell at my expression. (Yes I was playing this in the prescense of 2 hot females, bow to me LOL :D) And then at Dom DYING because the Berserker stepped on him lol. Then using the Hammer of Dawn gave me a tingly feeling in naughty area's. It's like using the Meteor strike in Destroy All Humans 2, just plain awesomeness. After witnessing Doms willingness to rejoin the soil my girlfriend started in shortly after that on co-op. Then it became fun as hell. Especially the level with the Kryll. When they say don't go into the dark they MEAN it. :cool:

I've played through Act 1 alone, but I finished the game on Co-Op, and there is simply no comparison, I can't imagine playing through the story without Co-Op. It was far more fun and engaging to play through with a real person. None of that "Down again Dom" except of course, when I really was down :)

One of the subtle touches that I noticed was at least 5 or 6 times I would make a comment about something we were seeing on screen, and then either Fenix or Dom would literally say the exact same thing in game. It happened enough that it was almost eerie.

Me and my cousin can't get enough of this game. After playing split screen on both normal and hardcore, he came over yesterday for the insane difficulty. Act4 Insane chapter one "Campus Grinder" has got tot be the hardest challenge i've ever had in a video game. we went a good hour and 45 minutes with only reaching the emergence hole (after you kill the seeder) once. Unfortunately Cole isnt as usefull as Baird, even when you use the attack command. dude just stands around doing nothing.

Is it me or is it disapointing that this game doesn't support 4-players on one TV like Halo? I had some friends over thinking we could have 4player action and turns out you can only have split screen for two....thats a bummer. 4 player halo or golden eye with the 4 box split screen was super fun back in the day....

JethroXP said:
I've played through Act 1 alone, but I finished the game on Co-Op, and there is simply no comparison, I can't imagine playing through the story without Co-Op. It was far more fun and engaging to play through with a real person. None of that "Down again Dom" except of course, when I really was down :)

One of the subtle touches that I noticed was at least 5 or 6 times I would make a comment about something we were seeing on screen, and then either Fenix or Dom would literally say the exact same thing in game. It happened enough that it was almost eerie.

I've had that happen a few times so far :)

craigdeguz said:
Is it me or is it disapointing that this game doesn't support 4-players on one TV like Halo? I had some friends over thinking we could have 4player action and turns out you can only have split screen for two....thats a bummer. 4 player halo or golden eye with the 4 box split screen was super fun back in the day....

i could never enjoy playing a game this way.....having a 6" square to look at to play has never been my idea of fun

nobody_here said:
i could never enjoy playing a game this way.....having a 6" square to look at to play has never been my idea of fun
True. I played GoldenEye on a 50" and it was terrible (Going to go back and play now...)

I have an HDTV projector (Panasonic PTL-500U) with a 96 inch wide screen ...4 player split screen gives each player their own 42" plasma effectively.

:D

I think four player split sreen looks just fine!

I just finished it with my brother on co-op. Honestly I give it a 7/10 tops. The game was very short and there was no story development to it. It seemed so scattered, nothing ever brought it together. I can only say one thing about the graphics. Color, hello? Everything was brown and grey, I thought I was playing in black and white most of the time. The action was good and intense, but action alone does not a game make. Sorry, but I found GoW to be a disappointment.

Of course GoW would be sharp and clear. Even if I had a 96" display, I would not want to share it with 4 other people via split-screen. A second person is pushing it. I am not a fan of split-screen for most games because I use sound to cue in on what's going on and where. I played Halo that way for a few hours and didn't like it.

How was the story scattered Bildad? What more do you need to know? It's pretty simple. The color choice is perfect since it's supposed to be a dead world pretty much. Depressing in a fun way. If the game was rich in color, it wouldn't fly well with me. And 8~10 hours is fine for a game like this.

Lamont, I can not handle halo split screen for even a minute. However, Gears does split screen much better. If you get a chance to do split screen, i recommend trying out insane diff. =]

bildad, the games supposed to look dark and bleak... its not paper mario ya know =]

Well remember, Gears is 720p so split screen does not knock you down to 240 lines of resolution. Of course Gears will look better in split screen than Halo.

Back