Gears of War PC question

solideliquid

Limp Gawd
I played (and beat) GoW for xbox but I want to see GoW at 1680x1050 at max settings play on my 8800 GT.

So my question is how is the Gears of War (PC) online community these days? Lots of people playing ?

THANKS!

I would like to get that question answered, I really want to get it, but if the online commuinity is tiny, then ill pass. O also, mods are coming out especially SP ones, if any are good, then it might warrant a purchase at a lower price.

**Mods, I meant SP Maps..

I played (and beat) GoW for xbox but I want to see GoW at 1680x1050 at max settings play on my 8800 GT.

So my question is how is the Gears of War (PC) online community these days? Lots of people playing ?

THANKS!

Online community is small these days. Logged in last week before I went out of town on a Friday night and only saw 3 games on the playlist servers ( where the majority of users tend to play)

Modding community is small, but its there. A user on the epic forums recently recreated the resident evil 1 mansion for GoW multiplayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUOD1DJhE0

If you do decide to purchase Gears, forget everything you learned on the GoW 360. Only two weapons pc users use is torque bow and longshot.

I only use the shotgun for the majority of my playtime, I pick up the longshot occasionally. If we had dedicated servers and cross-platform play then GoW would rock for pc.

Online community is small these days. Logged in last week before I went out of town on a Friday night and only saw 3 games on the playlist servers ( where the majority of users tend to play)

Modding community is small, but its there. A user on the epic forums recently recreated the resident evil 1 mansion for GoW multiplayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUOD1DJhE0

If you do decide to purchase Gears, forget everything you learned on the GoW 360. Only two weapons pc users use is torque bow and longshot.

I play daily.

When searching for servers I always see atleast 7 or above pop up.

I could make a list of updates that could be made in a patch, that would make this game one of the best ever.
But I don't think Microsoft will ever do them.

Co-op is so fun online. But I usually play MP execution.

Its still fun voice communicating with your friends on 360 while you are on PC with windows live.
If you sign up for gold membership you get access to the map editor where you can map your own maps.

Just to update you guys, I ended up picking up MoH Airborne instead as I have played GoW and MoH was only 29.99 (compared to 49.99). However just to set a contrast there are a whopping TWO servers playing online on MoH. Besides, the SP of MoH is good (if short) and graphically I think it is just as good as GoW with great effects and on top of that you can use AA/AF.

e6d4id.jpg

I really liked MoH: Airborne for what it was. Although I suppose the game got a little 'weird' towards the end. I'm always a sucker for good WWII shooters though.

But seriously, play R&C first! That's one of the best games of the year.

Congrats on picking up R&C! You're gonna love that one. And if you have a nice HDTV, nothing will look more stunning on it...it's so incredibly clear and sharp, and it runs at a stuning 60fps.

Also, you better damn well pick up Uncharted if you haven't already.

MOHwas not that good. It died off very quickly. SP was kind of nice, but really fuckin short. There was no excuse for that.

Yeah about MoH. When the demo came out I had a P4 3.6 with an 1800XT (ati). It didn't run that well, in fact I had to lower most of the settings to around medium. Now with current rig (see specs, plus Vista) I can run the game at 1680x1050 with max ingame settings and AF x16, heck I can probably get away with AAx2 at least and maintain a great framerate.

Also, yes I played and beat uncharted, sold it to help with the new loot. Once you beat that game there isn't really any reason to give it another go, at least from my perspective.

About R&C - I'm playing that on a 22" BenQ monitor with HDMI plugin so yeah, it's pretty much HD quality and it looks great!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014139

MOHwas not that good. It died off very quickly. SP was kind of nice, but really fuckin short. There was no excuse for that.

Agreed!

SP was good until the last mission, then it just got incredibly stupid with the super nazi's who can take two or three headshots and are carrying miniguns.

Online was active the first few days after release but most people abandoned it when EA didn't patch it quick or good enough, and then superior stuff like CoD 4 came out and nobody really bothers with MoH Airborne.

It actually reminds me I need to sell my copy on Ebay.

Back