Gears of War PC: A complete disaster on GCN1.2 cards in Microsoft's own game + API debut

GoW UE, whether AMD or nVIDIA lead, is not a true DX12 title. Fans on both sides keep claiming that a UE3 engine based game can truly take advantage of DX12 but that's not really possible.

I spoke to Dan Baker about this as well as his opinion was that, absent a near complete re-write of the engine, UE3 wouldn't be able to truly take advantage of DX12. His opinion is that it wouldn't be worth a complete re-write and that devs would be better off using UE4.

But you are stating the obvious since DX12 is so different from what I've read on the wikipedia page, it would be such an amount of work to get that done that beginning from scratch might seem a better option. The list is quite impressive :) List of Unreal Engine games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you are stating the obvious since DX12 is so different from what I've read on the wikipedia page, it would be such an amount of work to get that done that beginning from scratch might seem a better option. The list is quite impressive :) List of Unreal Engine games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know it's obvious but fans of both AMD and NVIDIA love to reject reason and instead cling to false hoods. Sourcing Dan Baker, for my comment, should help to over come some of that. I have the quote over at overclock.net too :)

GoW UE, whether AMD or nVIDIA lead, is not a true DX12 title. Fans on both sides keep claiming that a UE3 engine based game can truly take advantage of DX12 but that's not really possible.

I spoke to Dan Baker about this as well as his opinion was that, absent a near complete re-write of the engine, UE3 wouldn't be able to truly take advantage of DX12. His opinion is that it wouldn't be worth a complete re-write and that devs would be better off using UE4.

Yep this is what I stated, the amount of DX12 benefits is what matters, the engine is DX12 for this game, just doesn't take advantage of DX12 features. Just porting things over to DX12, there are same major changes that need to be done, even before optimizing for those DX12 features. There was a talk at this years GDC about this and its a big undertaking, and this goes back to what I stated about is it worth it ($ vs time). For a game like this probably not, but it nice that it does have updated features like AO and things like that. Personally I think this game looks just as good as today's game, minus the mesh details. Textures are still beautiful and many games don't even get close to what the artists were able to do with GOW 10 years ago even though tools to create high poly models and the ability to render to texture all those nice layers are much easier to use now.

Back