Gears of War 5

Damn looks just like the last game....think I'll ttake it off my wishlist maybe if they got rid of that clunkyness they would have something good.

Damn looks just like the last game....think I'll ttake it off my wishlist maybe if they got rid of that clunkyness they would have something good.

I don't know what you were expecting. It's a sequel, and I don't think there was anything wrong with the movement in Gears 4. If you want something different there is still the X-COM-like tactical strategy Gears Tactics to look forward to.

um, who thought that music fit the video? just took me back to the 90s teen angst glow stick parties where that one girl drank too much and her parents had to pick her up early

Downloading the game say maybe X5 times from the Microsoft Store left a really bad taste in my mouth 130 gig file. Not sure if I want to download GOW 4 down for the last time before my next Windows Install.

I had no intention on playing this but since I have 2 months free of Xbox/PC Game Pass I'm down...it's nice that they release the game on Game Pass on Day 1

Better to get it on Xbox ultimate pass. They have 3 months for $5 for PC atm.
I had no intention on playing this but since I have 2 months free of Xbox/PC Game Pass I'm down...it's nice that they release the game on Game Pass on Day 1
Just be sure you guys either have auto renewal turned off or have no payment information saved to your account, even if you used a code. The price goes up to $15/month after the promotional period ends, just in case you don't want to pay that much.

Just be sure you guys either have auto renewal turned off or have no payment information saved to your account, even if you used a code. The price goes up to $15/month after the promotional period ends, just in case you don't want to pay that much.
Only game I am interested in on the Xbox. I think gears 5 going to have bad sales cause of these free offers. I am sure there going to be a bunch of people like me just getting game pass just for this game.

to get the 2nd month free I needed to enable recurring payments but they tell you on the MS account page when the free trial ends and the date they will start charging your card so the important thing is remembering to cancel it a few days prior

Only game I am interested in on the Xbox. I think gears 5 going to have bad sales cause of these free offers. I am sure there going to be a bunch of people like me just getting game pass just for this game.
It's not a lost sale, though. You're still paying for it with the subscription cost. Instead of paying for a lifetime license for $60 you're paying $15 each month for a monthly license. In your case it's only $1.66, but I wouldn't expect a promotion like this in the future. I would imagine Microsoft is only offering it so cheaply right now to get the most possible people into the program as possible.

It's not a lost sale, though. You're still paying for it with the subscription cost. Instead of paying for a lifetime license for $60 you're paying $15 each month for a monthly license. In your case it's only $1.66, but I wouldn't expect a promotion like this in the future. I would imagine Microsoft is only offering it so cheaply right now to get the most possible people into the program as possible.

the Xbox Game Pass for PC is only $5 a month...the Game Pass Ultimate is $15 (combines console and PC)…$5 a month is really cheap...I'm getting 2 months free but I might actually keep it when the free trial ends...it's a good way of playing games I don't care about owning

the Xbox Game Pass for PC is only $5 a month...the Game Pass Ultimate is $15 (combines console and PC)…$5 a month is really cheap...I'm getting 2 months free but I might actually keep it when the free trial ends...it's a good way of playing games I don't care about owning
Ah, okay. I guess since I had it on Xbox it was only advertising the Ultimate Pass to me, so I didn't know you could get it separately.

I'm replaying Gears 4 right now to get ready for this. The Atmos audio they added later is amazing. When the planes drop things on the battlefield it sounds like they're legitimately above you. I don't even have a perfectly arranged speaker setup, but it's next-level stuff. Best I've ever heard from a game.
On the other hand, the game itself is pretty stale. I get not wanting to deviate too much, but it's kinda tired. Hopefully this one innovates a little more.

Last edited:
What's interesting is that if you pre-buy the game via the MS store, it still treats the game like it's UWP. It still has an icon you can't move, rename, delete, etc. You can't choose where it's installed either.
I ended up doing that and then getting an immediate refund (it's a pre-order so it doesn't matter) just to see.

What's interesting is that if you pre-buy the game via the MS store, it still treats the game like it's UWP. It still has an icon you can't move, rename, delete, etc. You can't choose where it's installed either.
I ended up doing that and then getting an immediate refund (it's a pre-order so it doesn't matter) just to see.
Windows Store applications are treated the same whether they're Win32 or UWP.

^ That description sounds exactly like what I want. In replaying #4 at the moment, I forgot how little innovation it actually had. Other than the graphics, it's just more of the same.

Preload is live on both Windows Store and Xbox One. Don't know about Steam, as I bought it through the Microsoft Store. Download is a little over 50GB on the Xbox. Have not seen what it is on Windows, yet. If you're a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber or have the Ultimate Edition preordered you can play the game next Friday.

I'm not sure about the RPG elements, but then again I guess it just depends on what they mean. In most cases that usually just means a skill tree, which I'm fine with.

I’m fine with skill trees most of the time but the greatness of Gears for me was always the tight action. Carefully created environments and enemies (types numbers placements) honestly it’s mostly slid downhill for me after the first game. Though they have all been fun regardless. Never finished Judgement or 4 though. I should do that...

I feel like 1 and 2 are the best Gears games. Those two were the ones where everything was very deliberate and curated. Each battle was designed so that enemy placements and their AI could work together to offer a challenge. At the same time, that's while making everything feel a little different each time. Starting with 3, that's when the devs seemingly decided to turn everything over to the enemy AI. 4 has a few great moments they clearly planned out, but then there are long stretches of phoned-in battles, too. Gears isn't alone in doing this. Uncharted's battles similarly got worse once the devs realized their AI was good enough so they didn't have to carefully design every encounter.

20 hours for a game like this is really impressive. Not sure what 3 and 4 are listed as, but I'd guesstimate closer to 5-6 hours.

Ja, I'm not sure how I fell about it. The trend of putting RPG mechanics into everything these days needs to stop.

Absolutely agreed. They tend to be the worst part of many games and those annoying, small pain in the ass things you just wished you didn't have to deal with in otherwise great games. The problem with the last game is the story and gameplay were lacking (first GoW game I've played so keep that in mind). Adding in junk content won't help fix those issues. As for length, the last game was perfect at around 12 hours. If this is going to be longer they absolutely need to improve the story and gameplay by two notches otherwise it will get even more boring and repetitive partway through.

Absolutely agreed. They tend to be the worst part of many games and those annoying, small pain in the ass things you just wished you didn't have to deal with in otherwise great games. The problem with the last game is the story and gameplay were lacking (first GoW game I've played so keep that in mind). Adding in junk content won't help fix those issues. As for length, the last game was perfect at around 12 hours. If this is going to be longer they absolutely need to improve the story and gameplay by two notches otherwise it will get even more boring and repetitive partway through.
Reminds me that the thing I dread the most when I hear developers integrating RPG mechanics into a game like this are grind (leveling and/or traveling) and filler content like fetch quests. As mentioned above the action in prior games was well paced and tightly designed. Having an open world will likely throw that out the window.

the Gears games have always felt very same-y...once you played one you've pretty much played them all in terms of gameplay...so I welcome the changes...Gears to me has always been about cinematic gameplay and good graphics...adding in RPG, open world elements etc won't change that, it'll hopefully improve it

I feel like 1 and 2 are the best Gears games. Those two were the ones where everything was very deliberate and curated. Each battle was designed so that enemy placements and their AI could work together to offer a challenge. At the same time, that's while making everything feel a little different each time. Starting with 3, that's when the devs seemingly decided to turn everything over to the enemy AI. 4 has a few great moments they clearly planned out, but then there are long stretches of phoned-in battles, too. Gears isn't alone in doing this. Uncharted's battles similarly got worse once the devs realized their AI was good enough so they didn't have to carefully design every encounter.
Agreed except for Uncharted, I feel they always placed more on the AI than they should have. Without getting too into it, I feel the combat is their weakest point, but maybe I just suck at the games (leaning towards the latter after watching Chip Cheezums LPs also oddly loved Last of Us gunplay)

Reminds me that the thing I dread the most when I hear developers integrating RPG mechanics into a game like this are grind (leveling and/or traveling) and filler content like fetch quests. As mentioned above the action in prior games was well paced and tightly designed. Having an open world will likely throw that out the window.

Depends on how open and how much focus they put into it. Pen and Paper DnD is “open world but encounters are curated by the DM. With a little effort emergence holes could feel completely random in an open world while still being well designed.

It depends if they put rockstar/Nintendo effort into an open world or Ubisoft effort. You know, GTA5 and Breath of the Wild feel like real worlds. Far Cry, Tomb Raider, Assassin Creed feel like a punch list of stuff to get done. I’m willing to reserve judgement on the open world aspect for now.

Gameplay-wise it might be the most unchanged series with 5 sequels. The difference in the gameplay from 4 vs. the original is almost non-existent. I think that's one reason I'm open to literally any changes. I don't need another game that takes me from arena with a bunch little barriers to another arena with a bunch of little barriers. I've already done that 5 times and the games got worse instead of better. I don't want pointless fetch quests, but it sounds like the side missions are mostly focused around finding legendary weapons and gear. As long as the open world is along the lines of Uncharted Lost Legacy and not Rage 2, I'm okay with it. Guess we'll all find out next week. Either way, I appreciate them trying to get out of a rut. It might be a disaster, but it's a direction I prefer.

I have Game Pass PC free for 2 months and Gears 5 will be available at launch...so I'll be playing this since you can't beat free :D
Agreed except for Uncharted, I feel they always placed more on the AI than they should have. Without getting too into it, I feel the combat is their weakest point, but maybe I just suck at the games (leaning towards the latter after watching Chip Cheezums LPs also oddly loved Last of Us gunplay)

Depends on how open and how much focus they put into it. Pen and Paper DnD is “open world but encounters are curated by the DM. With a little effort emergence holes could feel completely random in an open world while still being well designed.

It depends if they put rockstar/Nintendo effort into an open world or Ubisoft effort. You know, GTA5 and Breath of the Wild feel like real worlds. Far Cry, Tomb Raider, Assassin Creed feel like a punch list of stuff to get done. I’m willing to reserve judgement on the open world aspect for now.

Breath of the Wild was literally a barren, open world. No good side quests, few voiced quests, empty spaces with nothing, and filled with fetch quests and the same few activities over and over again. The same horse stalls, towers to climb, and the few times they started to add some in game lore they dropped it within two sentences. A good example of how not to make an open world game.

GTAV wasn't much better, but at least it had a central story. The problem was the mission design and gameplay were underwhelming.

Breath of the Wild was literally a barren, open world. No good side quests, few voiced quests, empty spaces with nothing, and filled with fetch quests and the same few activities over and over again. The same horse stalls, towers to climb, and the few times they started to add some in game lore they dropped it within two sentences. A good example of how not to make an open world game.

GTAV wasn't much better, but at least it had a central story. The problem was the mission design and gameplay were underwhelming.
I partially agree. BotW was to me rather unenjoyable, but that wasn’t due to the world. The world felt large, very explorable, and (given the post apocalypse via Ganon, beliveable) you say barren I say rebuilding.

GTAV by real world I mean that you could just drive around in a normal law abiding manner and at some points have AI cops fly by in unrelated event. That feels real to me, because it happens, and because while playing it does not feel planned. Things like that are what I meant, not just the pure gameplay factor of those examples.

I partially agree. BotW was to me rather unenjoyable, but that wasn’t due to the world. The world felt large, very explorable, and (given the post apocalypse via Ganon, beliveable) you say barren I say rebuilding.

GTAV by real world I mean that you could just drive around in a normal law abiding manner and at some points have AI cops fly by in unrelated event. That feels real to me, because it happens, and because while playing it does not feel planned. Things like that are what I meant, not just the pure gameplay factor of those examples.
Honestly if you took the Zelda name off botw no one of our of gave a damn about it. I agree with you assessment of gtav.

I know, that's why I'm mentioning it. A game shouldn't be called a PC game if it's store only. That's a closed ecosystem, the pc never was and never will be. Only over my long dead rotting body.
Its still PC this makes zero sense. Many games are exclusive to a single store like all of valves games.

Back