Gears of War 5

I liked 4, but I'm not sure we need another one quite so soon. 4 barely brought anything new to the table. In fact, other than graphics I don't think it added anything.
I'm guessing it sold well enough to justify another, but if you crank out too many games in too short of a timeframe you can bury a franchise.

I think there should be a distinction. Is it coming to PC, or to the Windows store?
Windows Store, obviously, since it's a Microsoft game.
I liked 4, but I'm not sure we need another one quite so soon. 4 barely brought anything new to the table. In fact, other than graphics I don't think it added anything.
I'm guessing it sold well enough to justify another, but if you crank out too many games in too short of a timeframe you can bury a franchise.
It will be 2.5 years since Gears 4 when 5 comes out. How long should we wait? It's not like Call of Duty where we're getting one every 10-14 months.

4 was the most polished of the series even though I felt the story fell a little flat. I don't think they need to change anything with the formula. It's fun and it works. Besides, there are spinoffs coming, including a tactical RPG in the XCOM style, if people want to play something different in the Gears universe.

Windows Store, obviously, since it's a Microsoft game.
I know, that's why I'm mentioning it. A game shouldn't be called a PC game if it's store only. That's a closed ecosystem, the pc never was and never will be. Only over my long dead rotting body.

I know, that's why I'm mentioning it. A game shouldn't be called a PC game if it's store only. That's a closed ecosystem, the pc never was and never will be. Only over my long dead rotting body.
A lot of games are only ever released on Steam. Does that make those games "Steam games" instead of "PC games?" What about games made by Blizzard? Are those "Battle.net games?"

To be fair, I have recently been trying to say "PC Windows" if there is not a Linux version available. I'd include Apple in that, too, if Apple had not had that stupid "Mac vs. PC" advertising campaign back in the day.

A lot of games are only ever released on Steam. Does that make those games "Steam games" instead of "PC games?" What about games made by Blizzard? Are those "Battle.net games?"

To be fair, I have recently been trying to say "PC Windows" if there is not a Linux version available. I'd include Apple in that, too, if Apple had not had that stupid "Mac vs. PC" advertising campaign back in the day.
Steam is just t a DRM, and a download client. You're still free to tinker and mod the games you have on steam.

But the MS store is trying to wrestle all control from the end user. I mean it installs apps into a hidden directory somewhere, beyond reach of any regular user, and runs them in a sandbox. It's almost like the game is not even yours, but just streamed to you from a hidden compartment trough a pinhole, and you can't touch it can't access it, you're kept at arms length all the time.
Which is basically what MS is trying to achieve with your entire PC. Keeping the user at arm's length.

Blizzard what is that? I haven't played a blizzard game since like Warcraft 2. I know nothing about battle.net, but if it's anything like I described the store, then damn them to hell as well :p

Yeah I hate all the clients for games today it's getting silly you just know Valve wants to change the Steam Client but they are afraid people would leave in droves. I mean if you woke up someday and the Steam client started to look like Origin people would swarm to GOG or whatever.

a. Bethsada client

b. U-PLAY

c. ORIGIN

c. Microsoft Store X-box client

d. Steam

e. Battle.net

f. NC Soft

On my machine I have Steam, Uplay, Origin, Blizzard, and GOG installed. The Windows Store is there by default, but I've only used it for cross-play Xbox titles (and the free Win10 apps) so far.
I just keep them all installed in my "Games" folder and use Steam as a front-end for everything. It'll typically just launch the various other store/DRM programs whenever you start the game. The Windows Store ones seem to just use the OS account as DRM, so they launch instantly from Steam.

Not surprising since they're releasing Halo on Steam. I just hope that people on both stores will be able to play with each other. Remember the cluster that the PC release of COD Infinite Warfare was.

Multiplayer stuff will probably run through XBL. That's what they're doing for MCC and it would make sense to keep going that route.

I think I downloaded GOW 4-5 times after the recent reformat I gave up on downloading it again Steam will be welcome addition I know they put Recore on Steam. Current file size for Gow 4 is 130 gigs.

I think I downloaded GOW 4-5 times after the recent reformat I gave up on downloading it again Steam will be welcome addition I know they put Recore on Steam. Current file size for Gow 4 is 130 gigs.
Good point. Trying to download stuff from the Microsoft Store is a real PITA. Downloading on Steam is really snappy; always completely saturates my bandwidth.

I only downloaded it after getting an unlimited 100m/bit internet plan for that very reason.

Good point. Trying to download stuff from the Microsoft Store is a real PITA. Downloading on Steam is really snappy; always completely saturates my bandwidth.

Really? I've maxed my gigabit connection from the Microsoft Store. On Steam I'm lucky if it uses 15% of my download speed.

Really? I've maxed my gigabit connection from the Microsoft Store. On Steam I'm lucky if it uses 15% of my download speed.
I have a 200 Mbps cable connection. The Microsoft Store will go at about 25 MB/s for me for about an hour and then it will slow down to around 20 KB/s. Nothing will get it going fast again unless I initialize the download again from the start. Sometimes I'll get lucky and have one of those restarts maintain full speed and I'll actually be able to download a game in a reasonable amount of time. Steam will go at 25 MB/s the entire download.

Is this still coming out on 9/10? The Steam version just says "coming soon." I'm not opposed to getting this via the Windows store. It grants access on both the Xbox + PC and I've had no issues with anything. I guess there's a little concern that MS might pull the plug on their store at some point, but I can't see that happening as long as it's tied to the Xbox store.

whether you get it on steam or windows store won't matter, it'll all connect to the same server, just having on steam allows them to tap into a larger potential audience.

I have a 200 Mbps cable connection. The Microsoft Store will go at about 25 MB/s for me for about an hour and then it will slow down to around 20 KB/s. Nothing will get it going fast again unless I initialize the download again from the start. Sometimes I'll get lucky and have one of those restarts maintain full speed and I'll actually be able to download a game in a reasonable amount of time. Steam will go at 25 MB/s the entire download.

same problem i have.. 185mbit but windows store bounces between 110-120mbit and just slows down over time.. think it took me about 5 hours to download gears of war 4 and still haven't gotten around to actually playing it after that, lol. either way it feels like it's tied into the bandwidth priority system used for windows update, so if you minimize the window or put it behind something then it goes to lowest priority or some shit. but for the most part both work fine with most game downloads, the 100+ gigs for GoW4 just made a minor problem look way worse.

Is this still coming out on 9/10? The Steam version just says "coming soon." I'm not opposed to getting this via the Windows store. It grants access on both the Xbox + PC and I've had no issues with anything. I guess there's a little concern that MS might pull the plug on their store at some point, but I can't see that happening as long as it's tied to the Xbox store.

Good luck trying to download the original release of Gears of War on PC. :(

Good luck trying to download the original release of Gears of War on PC. :(

Do you mean the one released in 2006 or the "Ultimate Edition" ? I own the Ultimate Edition and had no issues downloading it 7-8 months ago when I last played it. Has something changed or did they pull it?

I'm playing through GoW 4 at the moment, I can't say the MP is particularly enthralling but having more included maps and a larger player base on steam might make it more attractive.

Same.

Co-op is basically a nostalgia trip through Gears 2 over Xbox....

I'm enjoying it but man, is this formula stale and out-dated.

Do you mean the one released in 2006 or the "Ultimate Edition" ? I own the Ultimate Edition and had no issues downloading it 7-8 months ago when I last played it. Has something changed or did they pull it?

2006. I technically own both. Only have access to one. Kinda bummed. Especially since at the time UE ran like dog poop. It's come a long way since...but still, I would like to have access to something I paid for. It's just because it had GFWL, they pulled it. Instead of just removing that requirement.

2006. I technically own both. Only have access to one. Kinda bummed. Especially since at the time UE ran like dog poop. It's come a long way since...but still, I would like to have access to something I paid for. It's just because it had GFWL, they pulled it. Instead of just removing that requirement.

Ah, gotcha. It might be worth hunting around for a community "fix." One of my favorite games, Street Fighter X Tekken, never was patched to remove GFWL. The Steam version of the game straight up doesn't work anymore. Some community hardcores hand-patched the game to remove GFWL and to even support online play via Steamworks. One guy even took the exclusive PS4 assets and patched them into the PC version of the game.

Ah, gotcha. It might be worth hunting around for a community "fix." One of my favorite games, Street Fighter X Tekken, never was patched to remove GFWL. The Steam version of the game straight up doesn't work anymore. Some community hardcores hand-patched the game to remove GFWL and to even support online play via Steamworks. One guy even took the exclusive PS4 assets and patched them into the PC version of the game.
There is a way to disable it in Gears of War, but you are unable to save your game or game settings when doing so.

I can't even download it anymore. It's gone.

I'd have to get a download from somewhere else, or track down a physical release.

my favorite part of the trailer:

3a094512c3868949d82fabc93-why-final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-is-the-boring-est-videogame-movie.jpg

Back