Gears of War 3 open beta no longer "open"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
When Epic announced they were delaying Gears of War 3 six months solely for "strategic reasons", they clearly stated there would be an open beta.

Well, it's no longer fucking open. You now have to preorder the piece of shit to get access.

Why the fuck would I preorder this game when it took the pricks 18 months to fix all the ridiculous problems of Gears of War 2? And the game is still glitched with things that delete all of your achievement progress if you don't quit out of the game at a certain menu while holding down five buttons while saying seven Hail Marys.

Fuck Epic.

I don't understand this thread. Are you annoyed that Epic delayed the game? Are you upset that you don't get to play it for free? Why would you care about an incomplete, beta version of a game which, in your own words, is a "piece of shit"? And also, there still is a difference between 'open beta' and 'demo', even though the industry has all but brought that difference down to a matter of semantics nowadays. They never said anyone and everyone who wanted to would be able to play the game.

If you still want to play the beta of the piece of shit, you could always just pre-order it and put down the minimum amount required, play the beta and then cancel the pre-order if you don't like it. Or you could buy/rent Bulletstorm, play it (it's actually quite fun), then play the Gears beta and then sell/return Bulletstorm. Epic have mentioned that they want a million people playing this beta, so I'm almost certain there will be other ways to get in which you could wait for. Or you could just wait for the piece of shit to release in September and buy it then and not expect to play it for free next week?

Epic said some time ago that people who had completed certain achievements in Gears of War 2 would get access to the beta as well as unlockables. Seems that they've gone back on that and the only people worthy of playing what was marketed as available to everyone on Xbox Live is now only available to those who pony up money. Medal of Honor had a "pre-order to play beta" deal last year, and it was called a closed beta. The actual open beta that was held a few days before launch was available to anyone and was called an open beta. Every other recent open beta hasn't (to my knowledge) required an admission fee, which make no mistake is what a pre-order requirement is.

And I called it a "piece of shit" because I'm pissed off that Epic is essentially thumbing their noses at the Gears fans such as myself and going back on what they said. Expecting developers to not stick to their word doesn't make it any less agrivating when it happens.

Last edited:
Oh, and here is my proof of what Epic has lied/changed their mind/forgotten about:

It sure came as a big, pleasant surprise for Xbox Live users. Epic Games has just announced that the Gears of War 3 beta will now be open for access by all Xbox Live Gold members.

how dare a company try and make money
and how dare they delay their product enough so they can release a good version

assholes, yes!!!! DOWN WITH EPIC

gonna go preorder, brbz

how dare a company try and make money
and how dare they delay their product enough so they can release a good version

assholes, yes!!!! DOWN WITH EPIC

gonna go preorder, brbz

I suppose this is the kind of snivelling attempt at sarcasm I should expect from the Kids' Table of [H]. I'm not going to bother explaining why the release delay and not leaving the beta truly open is a smack to the fans, since it would clearly be lost on you.

Have fun eating up whatever the industry shovels at you, though.

Public multiplayer beta-
On December 17, 2010, Epic Games confirmed that the epic edition of Bulletstorm for the Xbox 360, will include early access to the multiplayer beta of Gears of War 3. It will also allow access to exclusive content. It was announced on March 4, 2011, pre-ordering any edition of Gears of War 3 at GameStop will grant the person access to the public beta and will also receive a 'beta tester' medal that will coincide with the game once released. There will be achievements unlockable exclusively for beta testers as well that include character and weapon skins (There are no actual Xbox 360 achievements tied to the beta or previous Gears games, only unlockable skins for weapons and characters).

The Beta is scheduled to begin on April 25. The Bulletstorm exclusive beta will begin a week prior on April 18. The Beta concludes on May 15, 2011.

Betas aren't betas, anymore. They're demos.

Demos as preorder bonuses don't make sense to me, either. Isn't a demo supposed to sell the game? Why lock it away except for people who've already bought the game?

kleenex.jpg

Demos as preorder bonuses don't make sense to me, either. Isn't a demo supposed to sell the game? Why lock it away except for people who've already bought the game?
Are you asking why game publishers do things that don't make any sense? ;)

The reason so many people are trolling you is because you posted an angry rant instead of starting a discussion or posing an argument. They're just matching the tone you set in the OP.

Why the fuck would I preorder this game when it took the pricks 18 months to fix all the ridiculous problems of Gears of War 2? And the game is still glitched with things that delete all of your achievement progress if you don't quit out of the game at a certain menu while holding down five buttons while saying seven Hail Marys.

It sounds like you didn't want beta access after all. I'd wait for a few months after release before purchasing to see if the bugs get fixed in this version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back