Gears of War 3 Beta video (35 mins long)

Gameplay looks fantastic. But good lord I hope that colors are not that washed out when the game ships.

Gears of Washed-out-grays 3

Got into the early access for retail employee's. Its pretty awesome , I love the fact that its dedicated servers now , makes a GIANT difference ..no more host shotgun , no more cheap melee host attacks. The sawed off shotgun is just plain fun but seriously overpowered .. even with the extra reload time the one shot kills are going to happen 99 percent of the time.

As far as the color is concerned I found the maps a lot more colorful than Gears 2 maps and way more than Gears 1. There aren't a ton of beta maps but they don't suffer badly from quake "brown" color palette.

The maps are fun and laid out well , I love all the player stat features now .. really brings Gears up to speed with Halo in terms of stat tracking.

Will continue to post impressions.

I'm still raw from Epic's backflip on the open beta. I spent an hour going through the official Gears of War 3 forum...there were a handful of threads about it, and all of them were locked about three or four posts in. The posts on the official Gears site about the open beta have all vanished, too. Dodgy.

I'm still raw from Epic's backflip on the open beta. I spent an hour going through the official Gears of War 3 forum...there were a handful of threads about it, and all of them were locked about three or four posts in. The posts on the official Gears site about the open beta have all vanished, too. Dodgy.

Yea I read your earlier thread , don't start crapping on this one please.

As for the threads on Epic's forum , they've always have been dodgy , its Epic and they do shit like that.

But thats in the past now and nothing is going to change so lets keep it strictly a news/impression thread for now.

Got into the early access for retail employee's. Its pretty awesome , I love the fact that its dedicated servers now , makes a GIANT difference ..no more host shotgun , no more cheap melee host attacks. The sawed off shotgun is just plain fun but seriously overpowered .. even with the extra reload time the one shot kills are going to happen 99 percent of the time.

As far as the color is concerned I found the maps a lot more colorful than Gears 2 maps and way more than Gears 1. There aren't a ton of beta maps but they don't suffer badly from quake "brown" color palette.

The maps are fun and laid out well , I love all the player stat features now .. really brings Gears up to speed with Halo in terms of stat tracking.

Will continue to post impressions.

Just got off a 4 hour stint of Gears 3, what a night and day difference from Gears 2. Hopefully the don't screw the pooch like they did with 1 and 2 where after an update or 2 it becomes a different game.

Last edited:
looks like the same old shotgun bullshit.

i'll stick with horde mode

I haven't watched the video yet, but the Horde mode was always my favorite. Anyway, I can't wait to get this game.

Been playing it all day , its terrific fun. The new weapons are "weird" but I love the retro lancer , the sawed off shotgun is really not all that great and the digger is very overpowered. The maps are great , no complaints from me .. they feel tight and offer lots of choke points and that reminds me of the old unreal tournament maps so I'm pretty pleased with them.

The graphics are solid and the extended color palette is welcomed. Dedicated servers are probably the best edition to the MP , not having to worry about host advantages is something thats always been a desire of long term Gears fan. I'm still curious how it will hold up under the huge influx of players at launch but the search function for finding games is fast and easy and not the mess that Gears of War 2 launched with.

If your are big fan of the series and have wasted lots of hours with friends playing the MP , I recommend going down to Gamestop and slapping down 5 bucks to get a beta code (which will work from the 25th on) as the unlocks you get for playing the beta are pretty nice and worth it if you plan to play the MP when the full game releases.

I think Epic viewed the MP in Gears 3 as fan service , I don't think they wish to attract hardcore PC users or bringing in new fans to the genre and considering this is the final game in the series (well at least with this story line) and the last Xbox 360 exclusive I can think off coming out anytime soon , I'll be buying it day 1.

Well tons more people on today but now all the game play modes except TDM and 2 maps have been stripped out and will be slowly release over the next 3 and half weeks ... which sucks but whatever.

Just read a review of the beta from an Australian standpoint.

Epic doesn't seem to learned a goddamned thing about factoring for other regions. There aren't any dedicated servers for Australia or the general region ("on the way" according to MS), matchmaking takes the same amount of time as Gears 2, and the game doesn't want to put Aussie against Aussie but rather American against Aussie with an American host and thus a lot of lag. The last two were problems that were in Gears of War 2, except the region-filtering was fixed whereas the 10-30min matchmaking process never was. The tendency to dump Aussies into American-hosted games was also a big problem when CODMW2 launched. If you are going to ask Australians to pay US$125 for your games at launch, you need to make sure this stuff is at least sorta-working beforehand.

The review spoke well of the gameplay but it's clear Epic has been America-centric when designing the technical aspects of it all. Looks like I didn't end up missing out on much, despite the gameplay and all those shiny ribbons and executions looking promising. Famous last words, but "hopefully this is all fixed in the full-game."

Last edited:
It'll be fun to play this.

My XBL buddies and are are kind of Gears 1 diehards. We still play a couple of nights a week.

We played Gears 2 for a while but it was just too wonky. I don't dislike it as much as my buddies, but still. Just inconsistent. Shotgun seems to do random damage (I found it later that quick-aims were doing less damage than offhand shots...probably why I did better than my buddies - I blindfire a lot).

I'm hoping it's more Gears 1 than Gears 2.

I loved Gears 2. I was average at best at it, but it was loads of fun. This would be the only game that would have me even think about buying another 360. I won't though...

Doesn't look any different than 2 to me. I really enjoyed 1, but 2 was terrible and grew tiring quickly.

Back