Gearbox Teases That 90% of the Studio Is Working on Borderlands 3

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
During a panel at PAX West, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford mentioned that 90% of the studio’s productive capability is “working on the thing I think most of you guys want us to be working on.” Seemingly everyone has already concluded that it must be Borderlands 3: Battleborn art director Scott Kester and Borderlands writer Mikey Neumann have already revealed their involvement with the new entry.

...Pitchford mentioned that Gearbox Software is a publisher now, and publisher suits have a saying: “A product does not exist until it’s announced.” Due to that, and since he doesn’t want to get in trouble with anybody, he isn’t able to say more. Of course we don’t yet know whether the third mainline chapter of the Borderlands franchise will be actually named Borderlands 3 or something else, but at least the studio is working really hard on it.

Praise the lord. Instant day one buy. Borderlands 1 and 2 still have the best drop-in/drop-out co op system of any game.

Its easy to sit around and bitch that they should've never wasted time on Battleborne, and just gone straight to working on Borderlands 3, but whatever. I'm just relieved and ecstatic they're doing it.

Last edited:
Every time I see them release something else, I've thought to myself (well, and maybe said it aloud or typed it too...) that they should scrap it and just do BL3. As mentioned above... It's about time! Can't wait to play it. My daughters will be excited when I tell them too.

Borderlands 2 was pretty good but every single thing they have done since then has not been good and Pitchford has only become more of an arrogant prick in the time. I have absolutely zero faith in Gearbox to deliver anything worthwhile anymore.

If it's the same exact formula as BL2 and BL:TPS...no thanks. They need something fresh to add.

Borderlands 2 was pretty good but every single thing they have done since then has not been good and Pitchford has only become more of an arrogant prick in the time. I have absolutely zero faith in Gearbox to deliver anything worthwhile anymore.

I liked borderlands the first play through but after that, it turned stale. No thank you. It's going to be more trash after the first play through.

They could freshen up the formula a bit, but if they stray too far from BL / BL2, then that basically ditches what makes these fun. That may or may not be your thing, but for someone that enjoys Borderlands, I don't want to play a Borderlands that isn't Borderlands. They really just need to make sure they nail the humor, nail the loot system, and come up with a compelling story. Follow it up with a few major addons that add to the caps, are fun to play, and they've got another hit. I would say adding more actual weapon types would be nice, more vehicle types, maybe some air-vehicles, make the maps a lot bigger, and they'll do alright. Save something completely different for a completely different game.

As far as the comment above on Randy... He was always kinda like that...

I love Borderlands!!!! All Day one buys! lets see hours: Borderlands 1: 243 hours, Borderlands 2: 640 hours, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel 187 hours.

We'll see. I tried the BL2 "play the exact same game with the lil clumps of enemies in the exact same place over & over & over & over" kool-aid for awhile & got seriously tired of it. Maybe I'm now in the minority as far as MMORPG-ish mechanics. At least BL1 wasn't afraid to just crazy-overwhelm you with enemies at times so it wasn't so obvious(at least to me). Those moments when you were totally swamped with enemies & grabbing any gun you could even if you had no skills with it simply because all your ammo was gone were the best for me.

TPS I actually enjoyed the low-grav, but as soon as we got to the end with everything looking samey-samey I was out.

it will be named borderlands 3 duke nukem vs aliens vs colonial marines :p

Honestly, they should just be "The Borderlands Corporation" (or maybe Maliwan, or Hyperion :D ) because those are the good games that they make. Ditch the other franchises, accept that this is the one series that they know how to execute flawlessly, and then BAM! everyone is happy. You either like them and their series or you don't. None of this distracting BS of other half-assed franchises.

Great news! I was afraid they had abandoned the franchise. 1 and especially 2 were just about perfect games. This would be an day 1 buy for me without a doubt.

I always go back and finish games even if I hate them and say I'll stop playing them. BL2 was the exception. I tried picking it up twice, and never made it more than 10-12 hours. I have no idea why; maybe it was the repetitive respawning checkpoints that got to me. It started to feel tedious. I really enjoyed the first game. At this point I'd probably have to restart from the beginning because I forgot everything about the game, which I don't want to do. Forget about the Pre-Sequel or DLC. BL3 will be out before I am done with BL2. :p

I always go back and finish games even if I hate them and say I'll stop playing them. BL2 was the exception. I tried picking it up twice, and never made it more than 10-12 hours. I have no idea why; maybe it was the repetitive respawning checkpoints that got to me. It started to feel tedious. I really enjoyed the first game. At this point I'd probably have to restart from the beginning because I forgot everything about the game, which I don't want to do. Forget about the Pre-Sequel or DLC. BL3 will be out before I am done with BL2. :p

BL2 had some poor level design and to much back tracking, I beat it once as Zero and never went back, which is a shame because I liked Krieg. BL I beat with every character.

Hopefully they can iron out the kinks and bring back some of the fun from BL1 that was missing in the second.

These games are really better with a few friends playing in co-op. Some of the side game antics can really bolster the game as a whole. Not to mention things get a bit more challenging with more players in.

I remember when Borderlands 2 came out in 2012
had lots of fun playing with a co-worker and a few steam friends I made from Duke Nukem Forever.

I used to post on the Gearbox forums when it was active quite a bit.
I hope this game isn't just a re-skinned Borderland 2 and actually captures what made Borderlands 1 successful minus all the weird Humor in Borderlands 2. I'm talking about T-Bone Junction that was the most fun I had with the game along with Crawermax and just trying to kill him on a ledge. Along with the guns in General Knoxx's Armory that was great fun I never had that much fun with Borderlands 2 even. Although some parts were great in Borderlands 2 but seemed out of place because it was new and improved and modernized and got away from the original concept what made the 1st game sucessfull.
Which is mild gameplay on top of really fun characters and bosses. I hope the game has a clean look this time around like the 1st game.

Last edited:
I think it will be hard to make characters as memorable as the first ones. They pulled off a few in BL2, (Tiny Tina was pretty funny most of the time), but Roland, Mordecai, Lilith and Brick were pretty cool as player characters, and Scooter, Moxie, Patricia Tannis and Dr. Zed were great. Catch a riiiiiiiiiiiiiiide! They can bring some of them back, but they really need to make some good new ones, that don't just ride on the popularity of the first ones. I only played a few minutes of TPS, so I don't remember any of those ones at all really. I also like the off-the-wall DLCs like Dr. Ned's and Tiny Tina's Dungeon one. Hopefully they'll have some of that sort of thing after the main release. If they have similar character classes, I want a choice of special power. I play Sirens, and always liked Lilith's death walk over Maya's ball of gravity thing. It would be nice to be able to choose between a few techniques.

I think it will be hard to make characters as memorable as the first ones. They pulled off a few in BL2, (Tiny Tina was pretty funny most of the time), but Roland, Mordecai, Lilith and Brick were pretty cool as player characters, and Scooter, Moxie, Patricia Tannis and Dr. Zed were great. Catch a riiiiiiiiiiiiiiide! They can bring some of them back, but they really need to make some good new ones, that don't just ride on the popularity of the first ones. I only played a few minutes of TPS, so I don't remember any of those ones at all really. I also like the off-the-wall DLCs like Dr. Ned's and Tiny Tina's Dungeon one. Hopefully they'll have some of that sort of thing after the main release. If they have similar character classes, I want a choice of special power. I play Sirens, and always liked Lilith's death walk over Maya's ball of gravity thing. It would be nice to be able to choose between a few techniques.

Tales from the Borderlands left it vague but hinted at a possible new planet. At least that's how I took it.

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games. Lets hope the sequel is a winner.

I remember when Borderlands 2 came out in 2012
had lots of fun playing with a co-worker and a few steam friends I made from Duke Nukem Forever.

I used to post on the Gearbox forums when it was active quite a bit.
I hope this game isn't just a re-skinned Borderland 2 and actually captures what made Borderlands 1 successful minus all the weird Humor in Borderlands 2. I'm talking about T-Bone Junction that was the most fun I had with the game along with Crawermax and just trying to kill him on a ledge. Along with the guns in General Knoxx's Armory that was great fun I never had that much fun with Borderlands 2 even. Although some parts were great in Borderlands 2 but seemed out of place because it was new and improved and modernized and got away from the original concept what made the 1st game sucessfull.
Which is mild gameplay on top of really fun characters and bosses. I hope the game has a clean look this time around like the 1st game.

If anybody is on-the-go a lot, playing Borderlands 2 on the Playstation Vita is awesome. You can find a Vita on eBay or Craigslist for pretty damn cheap. The memory cards on the other hand...

If anybody is on-the-go a lot, playing Borderlands 2 on the Playstation Vita is awesome. You can find a Vita on eBay or Craigslist for pretty damn cheap. The memory cards on the other hand...

Nice! Also, while not THAT portable, an Nvidia Shield TV plays BL 2 and TPS. I've brought it along on a couple of trips and played in the hotel. Worked out nicely.

I enjoyed playing it on the Vita as well, but the controls are a wee bit on the tiny side. I ended up taking advantage of cross save and finishing it on my Playstation (3?).

These games are really better with a few friends playing in co-op. Some of the side game antics can really bolster the game as a whole. Not to mention things get a bit more challenging with more players in.

Yeah Borderlands shines in co-op. Playing Borderlands by yourself is like going bowling or mini-golfing by yourself - its just not the same.

I'm still kind of mad they bought and tied up the license for homeworld, all they have released is a remastered version that looks no better than what mods already created, and deserts of karak that no one wanted over a homeworld 3. I don't think they know what to do with the property.

If you haven't already done it, Tales from the borderlands was an amazing hold-over story while this is still in dev.

It's less of a game and more of an interactive choose your own adventure movie, but the story is fantastic and very drawing.

Glad to hear 3 is on the table.
You hear that Gabe?!??? Threeeee

I'm still kind of mad they bought and tied up the license for homeworld, all they have released is a remastered version that looks no better than what mods already created, and deserts of karak that no one wanted over a homeworld 3. I don't think they know what to do with the property.

I never really played the originals or the new ones. I think their heads are in the right place trying to make things like this or Duke Nukem widely available when they otherwise might not be, but I don't think they handle this sort of thing correctly. It's kind of a "better than nothing I guess" sort of deal it seems. That's why I think they should stick to Borderlands. They know it well, they execute it well, they have a good following for it, and as long as they improve a bit without straying too far, they can't mess it up. They're a strange company with a snarky-goofball of an owner, and they seem to be able to nail a humorous loot-based RPG-Lite shooter like no other. If I was them, I'd take that and keep running.

Back