Gearbox Slams "Reckless Story" About Battleborn Going F2P

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford denied what he called a "reckless" story about Battleborn going free-to-play. The original story cited anonymous sources that claimed to be "familiar with the plans" for the game. Pitchford went on to say that there will be a free trial of the game in the future but that it was months away.

The game is kind of fun, and might have picked it up at the discounted price, but I hate that I have to unlock the characters.

Gearbox doesn't make good games. Pitchford is slightly insane too going by his tweets.

Pitchford needs some new magik tricks like make Borderlands 3. I don't even think anyone cares about Battleborn sorry to say unless it goes free to play.

I liked the game, but anytime games launch at the same time I tend to choose one and end up forgetting about the other until it shows up on sale. grabbed overwatch, got my moneys worth out of that one and now i hear no one plays battleborn so i dont bother.

The game is kind of fun, and might have picked it up at the discounted price, but I hate that I have to unlock the characters.

Wait what? You have to pay for the game AND unlock the toons?

I liked the game, but anytime games launch at the same time I tend to choose one and end up forgetting about the other until it shows up on sale. grabbed overwatch, got my moneys worth out of that one and now i hear no one plays battleborn so i dont bother.
They definitely don't.
Battleborn - Steam Charts

It sometimes gets above 500 players peak, but the average is barely above 300 sometimes. The game is pretty much dead at this point, and going f2p while copying the normal MOBA model of charging for heroes and skins is pretty much the only way they'll get anymore money out of it. Of course I'm sure Randy Pitchford's ego won't let that happen until the game has been long forgotten(realistically it should happen within the next 6 months to stand a chance at accomplishing anything).

It's funny how pretty much the only thing Gearbox has done "right"(because even that's debatable) in recent history is borderlands, with everything else just being one flop after another for a multitude of reasons.

Gearbox doesn't make good games. Pitchford is slightly insane too going by his tweets.

Borderlands is epic. But that's about it.

Instead of Battleborn they should've been working on Borderlands 3 or better yet a "Borderworlds" this whole time.

Last edited:
They definitely don't.
Battleborn - Steam Charts

It sometimes gets above 500 players peak, but the average is barely above 300 sometimes. The game is pretty much dead at this point, and going f2p while copying the normal MOBA model of charging for heroes and skins is pretty much the only way they'll get anymore money out of it. Of course I'm sure Randy Pitchford's ego won't let that happen until the game has been long forgotten(realistically it should happen within the next 6 months to stand a chance at accomplishing anything).

It's funny how pretty much the only thing Gearbox has done "right"(because even that's debatable) in recent history is borderlands, with everything else just being one flop after another for a multitude of reasons.

Loved borderlands, the presequel sucked in my opinion. the whole space bouncing and oxygen mechanics kind of ruined the experience for me. felt like a giant open empty space. still go back to borderlands 2 though.

Loved borderlands, the presequel sucked in my opinion. the whole space bouncing and oxygen mechanics kind of ruined the experience for me. felt like a giant open empty space. still go back to borderlands 2 though.

I didn't think it sucked so much as there was basically no innovation over the previous titles. The oxygen mechanic really didn't add much to the experience other than an artificial timer on how long you could stay between O2 bubbles.

I picked it up on a sale and barely played it.

Borderlands is epic. But that's about it.
As epic as borderlands may be(again, debatable), just what has Gearbox done since?

Borderlands
DNF(trash)
Aliens Infestation(nintendo DS game)
Borderlands 2
Aliens: CM(trash)
Borderlands pre-sequel
Homeworld remastered(I liked homeworld, the remastered version was a mess)
Homeworld: deserts of kharak(they weren't even sure at one point if it was going to be a homeworld game)
And the 15th re-re-re-re-release of Duke Nukem 3d, which is nothing but overpriced garbage that could have been done with free mods aside from getting the original guy for Duke's new voice lines.

Even before Borderlands, all they had was some mediocre HL expansions, a bunch of crappy ports of random games(THPS3, samba de amigo, etc.), and the brothers in arms franchise. If you look at the company as a whole, borderlands seems like it was a fluke.

Back