Gearbox CEO Responds To Overwatch Beta Date

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford had this to say about Blizzard releasing the Overwatch beta on the same day Battleborn launches:

"Well - sh*t just got real. Blizz doing OW beta on our Battleborn launch. Excited they believe as we do there is a business. Competition is real!"

Wait... what is battleborn? Can someone tell me? or should I google it. I've never heard of it.

If the final version of Battleborn is as drab as the beta, I know which of those two I'll be paying attention to.

It's like that old 'Coke vs Pepsi' commercial: "Overwatch, Battleborn... what's the diff?"

battleborn looked shitty and has a shitty name.

overwatch - less shitty, still not sure what i think of it.

The Battleborn story based co-op is really fun (pretty much Boarderlands with more characters and faster skill progression). I like the crazy characters. I am not sure about the MOBA part. It is okay. The asynchronous-arena part is where these two game overlap, and Battleborn hasn't released any gameplay for that yet. I do like that fact that both games come with all the characters unlike most games in this space. We only have a few short months to find out if either of them are any good I suppose.

OverWatch looks just as fun as TF2, if that's the sorta game you like playing. Except TF2 is free. But hey, if you ring the bells in the game you can make the Futurama tune.

I really liked the Borderlands style co-op story/humor and over the top characters in Battleborn.

I played the Battleborn beta a long time ago - I wonder if it will be coming back anytime soon? I rather figure that they have a different sort of thing compared to Overwatch. As others have said, it seems to be a spiritual successor to Borderlands series, with a co-op story mode, character growth as core features, and the PVP element being more first-person MOBA-ish... I personally find that to have more potential than Overwatch. Now granted I've not played the OW closed beta outside a weekend event so maybe they'll be expanding it, but OW is very close to TF2 gameplay wise. I'll probably like it more than TF2 thanks to Blizzard polish and a lack of a complex "hat/item sales" system, but it will be something I play for a little while when I want a quick match or two. At least in theory, Battleborn seems to have more long term progression elements and enjoy ability for multiple game modes, so that's alluring. I hope that Overwatch does learn a bit from the competition and adds more co-op play though, especially considering that Blizz has done a nice job of starting the world-building for Overwatch's settings and characters. Its a pity that it didn't morph into the Titan MMO that I was really hoping to see; disappointing to be reduced to a match based shooter.

If Battleborn seems to be developing well and at least provides an experience as good as or better than Borderlands 2 / Pre-Sequel, I'll probably buy both it and Overwatch. What I really would like of both titles however, is to make it so many characters can be played effectively in third person! I know many, including my primary gaming partner, who get motion sickness from many FPS, so it would be nice to have third-person capable characters in most/many cases.

Battleborn is a MOBA, so it was never going to get my attention anyway. Sorry to burst your bubble, Randy.

Rather than waste time trying to hop the MOBA bandwagon - which I'm not even sure is that viable or here to stay - I really wish Gearbox would've put all the time and resources into a multi-planet Borderlands 3.

I'm aiming more for Battleborn, since well...I enjoyed Borderlands. Overwatch, well...I don't know. Only thing I ever liked from Blizzard was StarCraft and nothing else.

Back