GDI+ Detection tool

Phoenix86

Supreme [H]ardness
God damn, NO I don't fucking want to read more about the GDI+tool. You don't fucking tell me the technical details/KB of every other fucking patch, now do you? Yet, 1, no 2, nope *3* fucking prompts about it when accessing windowsupdate. This when most other updates are labeled "critical update for XP". WTF?

Oh and yeah, I was real fucking excited to learn that 2 different machines didn't complete their patching because of these prompts. So much for trying to download eleventy-billion patches at once (don't ask), no, now I need to fucking baby-sit a windowsupdate install. GRRR.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

</rant>

Apologies to the mods for excessive cussing. ;)

Do you feel better now? Because I had steam coming off my LCD when I read this post.

SUS is great and all, but we do have some local admins, and they just don't get the fact they have to approve the updates. Fast forward several months...

Anyways, I realize the GDI exploit requires updating office/other imaging products, but windowsupdate should just fix that too. It should just update all MS products, and no warning would be needed.

Also, at a bare minimum the prompt should come up at the BEGINING of the download, I mean I selected it to download and install, why prompt after the download during the install? That mean I select 20-30 updates. They download, start to install, and when it gets to GDI (about 75% into the process) is where the prompts are. I couldn't think of a less appropriate place for them.

I'm gonna email microsoft and ask them for a 4th pop up box :)

I'd lobby hard for the WUS beta to replace SUS. SUS deals with the same set of updates as Windows Update, but WUS delivers a lot more (Office, SQl, etc.)

WUS also includes the ability to assign computers to groups and to report back on the deployment status of patches. It's a huge leap forward from SUS.

Of course if the admins don't approve the patches then both systems are equally effective.

I'm already going down that path... Unfortunatly they just got SUS up and running OK about 6 months ago. They are going to wait until WUS is out of beta before they roll it into production. Can WUS force patches on local administrators?

edit: part of the issue is the only notification they get is the WU icon in the systray, nothing more... If they ignore it long enough, it'll get removed by the handy "hide icon" setting.

You can enforce WUS updates via GPO by chaging the install behavior from "download and prompt" to "download and install (according to schedule)." SUS and WUS don't care too much about the currently logged on user.

The two ways for admins to prevent their systems from being updated are to disable the automatic updates service or to turn off their machines during the scheduled install time. The updates will still download and prompt once they're ready for the install even if they're scheduled to install automatically at some later time. In this regard there's no real difference from SUS. You can set a GPO to force the Automatic Updates service to be set to automatic, but you can't prevent an admin from stopping the service after boot up (without 3rd party tools.)

Back