GDDR6 Slated for Next-Gen NVIDIA GPUs, Mass Production in 3 Months

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Gamers Nexus spoke with SK Hynix at GTC this week and learned that the company will likely begin mass producing its GDDR6 memory in July. Coupled with past history, this is leading to speculation that new NVIDIA GPUs will be revealed in the same timeframe.

As for other specifications, Hynix’s GDDR6 will run a 180 ball-grid array from GDDR5’s 170 BGA, enabling greater throughput from the extra pins. Hynix’s GDDR6 will operate upwards of 16Gb/s and ship in 8Gb and 16Gb densities, up from 8Gb densities only on GDDR5. Hynix’s GDDR6 should pull 1.35V and operate at lower power consumption targets, but we don’t have exact numbers right now.

Will be interesting to see what they announce as well as price/availability.

Won't be pulling the trigger till 1180Ti's are available though :)

I'm pretty damn excited about getting a new 1180 Card with 16gb of GDDR6 Memory. I'll have my $1,000 cash ready to spend waiting in line at Microcenter the day of.

If mass production is starting in July, the cards won't be coming out right away. This shit takes time to actually produce the volume needed for the orders, ship them to the card manufactures, actually manufacture the cards, ship the cards out to distributors, and then ship to the customers (or you pick it up in store). This is also assuming that the card manufactures have had time to get samples before mass production started to test in cards.

So what anti-competitive practices will Nvidia pull to keep GDDR6 away from AMD?

So what anti-competitive practices will Nvidia pull to keep GDDR6 away from AMD?

The daughter of SK Hynix CEO, Seong Wuk Park was kidnapped today by an unknown assailant. The assailant is reported as a strange little man, wearing a leather jacket, and was heard mumbling about upper body strength and wood screws.

4853e357-ffec-493f-a0d8-75647af9490f-1.jpg

Shortage of brave men willing to raid the factories and liberate the cards, give them to the common folk so they will pass them to their children.

And as I was standing in line at Microcenter check out register with my $1k in hand, they smiled had their way with me and then asked how I was going to finance the balance. The guy in the next line over plunked down his mega bucks in cash and got the only card they had.

It will be interesting to see where the pricepoints/power usage/and throughput come down between HBM3 and GDDR6

All this new tech hitting the factory and yet I will be in emulator mode until prices are at MSRP.

I'll enjoy my R9 280 till prices drop.
Newer games will run okay at 640*480 right?

All this new tech hitting the factory and yet I will be in emulator mode until prices are at MSRP.

You'll be able run games at 1080p, but only with a black screen, sometimes a blue screen with a bunch of white texts on it.

280 should be fine for 1080p at medium settings.

All for the low low price of $200/GB? My next graphics card will have at least 16GB and cost well south of $1000 or I'm going to actually start playing some of those old games I bought on Steam and then never played and keep my 980ti until the end of time.

From the questionable behavior of Nvidia as a company lately(to put it mildly) and the availability/after MSRP issues I've got some serious doubts about if/when I'll get my next cards. Don't really care so much about 16GB VRam or DDR6/HBM2/HBM3. Honestly DDR5X or DDR5 does just fine in the area of 10-11MHZ range. Far more interested in faster clocks and more shaders. 11GB in 4k is rarely tapped by games even now(ROTTR/MEA) and then to do so require settings that the rest of the card(1080TI OC'd or 1080SLI) can't support for more than 30FPS anyway. So ram, meh, give me more speed to get my money. I want a single consumer grade card that can always outperform my 1080SLI rig.

i agree with ^. nvidia said that the GTX 1080 was ONLY possible due to GDDR5x.

1.5 years later we get the 1070Ti with GDDR5, which in all aspects is 95% of a 1080. so no, they lied two years ago when they said its only possible with gddr5x. I wonder when using gddr5 would really hurt and become a bottleneck.

No way Nvidia will wait till July or after to launch next gen. Q4 2017 was a record quarter. Q1 2018 will also be very high.

Crypto demand dropped, cards are still overpriced - meaning sales will be lower in Q2. I don't think they'll be willing to sit out another month without at LEAST making the announcement in Q2 to provide fresh meat to their stock investors. I still think we see cards up for sale in this quarter - with announcement made during April.

Hynix isn't the only RAM manufacturer. You have several other companies that make RAM. What is the status of the other manufacturers?

I lucked out and got my EVGA 1080ti before the miners started buying nvidia.

I would never pay as much as they are asking now and certainly would not buy a mining card used.

I game at 1080p with a 144hz monitor and will keep using 1080p happily rather than invest 1400 for a new card and another 700 for a 4k hdr 144 monitor.

So long and thanks for all the fish

The daughter of SK Hynix CEO, Seong Wuk Park was kidnapped today by an unknown assailant. The assailant is reported as a strange little man, wearing a leather jacket, and was heard mumbling about upper body strength and wood screws.

View attachment 63654

when everyone around you is kidnapped or killed, at what point do you finally say F it and move to a remote part of the planet away from everyone.. for THEIR safety

LOL

Back