GaymerCon is a Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I think all this "hate" is brought on gay people by themselves by doing stunts like this and trying to throw their sexual preference in other people's faces.

Why can't they just keep it in the bedroom at home like everyone else does? Nobody cares if you're doing another guy up the butt, so there's no need to go out there and announce that's what you like to do at night.

This "gaymer" convention doesn't do anything positive for the gaming community, all it does is divide it, and that's exactly what the problem with "special interest groups" trying to spout their equality propaganda while they pull stunts like this and expect us to accept it or be labeled a hatemonger.

Gaming products are still primarily aimed at white, straight males. Even if white straight males are no longer an overwhelming majority with men AND women from all races and cultures are now into gaming, the industry still assumes the player is the straight white male. As such, anybody not of this archetype is essentially a minority in the eyes of gaming developers.

Of course there are games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins and even The Sims (congrats to EA for having three separate franchises representing the LGB community and being ahead of the pack...it just needs to add the T in there now), but they are exceptions to the rule and still allow for heterosexual gamers to be heterosexual. LGBTI gamers, on the other hand, are always portraying males who are trying to get the girl, and female gamers can either choose between beefy ubermale men or scantly-clothed, big-breasted bimbos who insult their gender with every frame. We haven't seen a AAA game where the main playable character is gay and the player cannot alter his/her sexual orientation. Imagine the rage if there was...

Conventions such as this give a sense of community to gamers who feel marginalised by an entertainment industry that as a whole does not market to them, let alone represent them. This occurs from the game level, marketing all the way through to "booth babes". Gaming developers and publishers already have the gaming community divided by refusing to represent or even acknowledge that not every gamer is white or straight. These conventions allow people who feel this way to come together and form a voice to highlight these issues and drive change.

Gaming is coming out of the basement with its becoming mainstream, and so it needs to grow up and accept that the audience is wide and diverse. Only then can conventions such as Gaymercon become unnecessary.

Back to GaymerCon, what's the point of a homosexual gaming convention, other than to be divisive? All I've seen by its defenders is BS... to escape persecution... what persecution?

Go play a few rounds of COD on Xbox Live using a noobtoob and see what kind of messages you get.

Go play a few rounds of COD on Xbox Live using a noobtoob and see what kind of messages you get.

Yep, there are plenty of insults to people's manhood, just as a frivolous convenience. But, so? There's also plenty of other vulgarity, but this stuff isn't at the gaming conventions in any significant amount.

Gaming products are still primarily aimed at white, straight males. Even if white straight males are no longer an overwhelming majority with men AND women from all races and cultures are now into gaming, the industry still assumes the player is the straight white male. As such, anybody not of this archetype is essentially a minority in the eyes of gaming developers.

Of course there are games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins and even The Sims (congrats to EA for having three separate franchises representing the LGB community and being ahead of the pack...it just needs to add the T in there now), but they are exceptions to the rule and still allow for heterosexual gamers to be heterosexual. LGBTI gamers, on the other hand, are always portraying males who are trying to get the girl, and female gamers can either choose between beefy ubermale men or scantly-clothed, big-breasted bimbos who insult their gender with every frame. We haven't seen a AAA game where the main playable character is gay and the player cannot alter his/her sexual orientation. Imagine the rage if there was...

Conventions such as this give a sense of community to gamers who feel marginalised by an entertainment industry that as a whole does not market to them, let alone represent them. This occurs from the game level, marketing all the way through to "booth babes". Gaming developers and publishers already have the gaming community divided by refusing to represent or even acknowledge that not every gamer is white or straight. These conventions allow people who feel this way to come together and form a voice to highlight these issues and drive change.

Gaming is coming out of the basement with its becoming mainstream, and so it needs to grow up and accept that the audience is wide and diverse. Only then can conventions such as Gaymercon become unnecessary.

Big deal. My views on politics and religion aren't represented in games. Can't please everyone. Games are an escape. I'm not sure why we need society to throw all their controversy, baggage and everything else into games. I have kids and a wife, I don't even need hetero sex in my games.

Gimmie a fucking break. To be purely metrosexual, Microsoft should name Windows 8 the first Gay OS.

Yep, there are plenty of insults to people's manhood, just as a frivolous convenience. But, so? There's also plenty of other vulgarity, but this stuff isn't at the gaming conventions in any significant amount.

Okay then let's assume that is true. Let's say that a few weeks before E3 2013, the main character of Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty Modern Black Optic World Warfare 14 is a gay male soldier in the US Army, and has a sexual relationship with another soldier that is explored throughout the course of the game. E3 2012 takes place with one of the biggest titles now considered a "gay game". Do you think there would be no discrimination against gamers identifying as gay at that convention?

My point: if this does not occur at gaming conventions now, it is because the topic of homosexuality is invisible. It would be interesting to see if that changes if it is brought it to the forefront or better yet, featured in a high-profile game. My hope is that nobody would actually give a shit, but I suspect there would be an outcry.

I don't understand...if gays want to be treated as equals and all that jazz, then why must they separate themselves like this? I think they're alienating themselves as opposed to the opposite.

Exactly. Most of my friends don't want to be separate, they want to be the same. We don't go out and start talking about our sexuality. It has ZERO bearing on the game or with most of our interactions. We accept each other for who we are, gay or straight. We joke around with it sometimes, but it's never a big deal.

These guys seem to want to make it a big deal, which sucks for a lot of other gay people out there that don't want to be separate from the straight people. How about we just put a MEN only gaming club together? What? Too 7 year oldish? Ah, right.

Big deal. My views on politics and religion aren't represented in games. Can't please everyone. Games are an escape. I'm not sure why we need society to throw all their controversy, baggage and everything else into games. I have kids and a wife, I don't even need hetero sex in my games.

Except the escapism is not as easily obtained by LGBT gamers, since what they would seek to escape from is reinforced in the games.

Your views on politics and religion should be represented in some form as well. Gaming needs to mature and start exploring some deeper themes than the usual superhero-saving-the-world trope. Of course I would not argue that these games should not be developed anymore, but there is definitely room for deeper experiences just as with movies and literature (i.e. you could choose to see The Expendables 2 or some hard-htting indie film...in gaming, figuratively speaking, the only choice is The Expendables 2). We're starting to see it happen with games like Heavy Rain.

I would argue that "hetero sex" still isn't prominent in games because of conservative "family values" groups would kick up an even bigger stink than they did when gaming started letting people blow each other's virtual body parts apart.

Gaming products are still primarily aimed at white, straight males.

That white-male line is so tired. And, boohoo, there aren't any homosexual playable characters in AAA titles. I play Starcraft. Should they have marines saying "ooh, big boy..." instead of "yes sir" when you issue commands? That would be so gay. And, it also has nothing to do with GaymerCon, because even at GaymerCon, Starcraft isn't gay.

And, sorry, I don't play any games about sex.

You're not persecuted just because society isn't kissing up to you. You're not persecuted just because your market is too small for much material to be directly aimed at it.

Speaking of diversity, the Starcraft Community is very diverse, with top players from all across the civilized world, with the absolute best players tending to be Asian. One of the top American players is a girl with a dick (being born a male). In spite of that situation, I see her/him treated with nothing but respect at gaming gatherings.

There's no such thing as the homosexual community ever getting to the point where they'll think "Gaymercon" is unnecessary. We can elect a black president, without putting a dent in race hustling. How much less likely are we going to get homosexuals to stop parading around and imposing on others, while claiming to be victims of persecution.

How about a fat people gaming convention? They're persecuted and they can't hide their obesity to escape persecution. How about if America just totally fragmented. How about a Presbyterian gaming convention? How many fat or Presbyterian playable characters are there in AAA games?

The Left should practice some tolerance.

You gotta be kinda careful with this sort of argument. If you're lumping the whole of christianity in with the few groups who are douches, then you can apply the same principle to other groups. Then all gay men become pedophiles, all muslims become terrorists, etc.

Well, it's a good thing that's not what I'm doing then. I didn't say that all Christians were members of a hate group. I didn't say all hate groups were Christian. I said Christian hate groups. And that is exactly what these right wing organizations lobbying against equal rights are.

Regarding the whole "equal rights" issue and marriage, i think a lot of people misunderstand the argument. Most people I know aren't against gay marriage because of two gays getting together, they're against it because it's called marriage, and there's a big push to force the church to accept it and perform the ceremony. I think that if from a legal standpoint we called all marriages, straight, gay, or otherwise, a civil union instead of a marriage this argument would largely disappear. When you boil it down that way it does seem really stupid to argue about, so change the term for everyone and see what happens. Just don't force religious people to participate in it if it goes against their beliefs, legal rights and religion shouldn't be in the same argument anyway. Everyone should have the same legal rights and protections anyway, but asking whole groups of religions to support something they don't believe in is asking for trouble.

Again...separate but equal is not equal. And no, no one's talking about forcing churches to perform gay marriages. The push is for the state and federal government to recognize it. It literally has NO real effect on heterosexual couples if gay married couples call it marriage. NONE. Period, end of discussion.

That white-male line is so tired. And, boohoo, there aren't any homosexual playable characters in AAA titles. I play Starcraft. Should they have marines saying "ooh, big boy..." instead of "yes sir" when you issue commands? That would be so gay. And, it also has nothing to do with GaymerCon, because even at GaymerCon, Starcraft isn't gay.

And, sorry, I don't play any games about sex.

You're not persecuted just because society isn't kissing up to you. You're not persecuted just because your market is too small for much material to be directly aimed at it.

Speaking of diversity, the Starcraft Community is very diverse, with top players from all across the civilized world, with the absolute best players tending to be Asian. One of the top American players is a girl with a dick (being born a male). In spite of that situation, I see her/him treated with nothing but respect at gaming gatherings.

There's no such thing as the homosexual community ever getting to the point where they'll think "Gaymercon" is unnecessary. We can elect a black president, without putting a dent in race hustling. How much less likely are we going to get homosexuals to stop parading around and imposing on others, while claiming to be victims of persecution.

How about a fat people gaming convention? They're persecuted and they can't hide their obesity to escape persecution. How about if America just totally fragmented. How about a Presbyterian gaming convention? How many fat or Presbyterian playable characters are there in AAA games?

The Left should practice some tolerance.

You really need to develop the ability to step inside someone else's shoes. :rolleyes:

Tolerance of bigotry is not a virtue. Neither is tolerance of stupidity. I will remain intolerant of both.

We've been over this so many times I've lost count. The convention is not about separating/dividing the gaming community. There's no "imposing" of LGBT culture being done to anyone here. I see this less as an attempt to promote gay rights and more as an opportunity for people of similar interest to hang out and play games. Let's stop talking as though this was a pick march through capitol hill.

Let them have their convention.

Not liking Gaymercon isn't bigotry. Gaymercon existing at all is bigotry, it's gay gamers segregating themselves from the rest of the gaming scene. Being gay has nothing to do with you playing a video game.

It's stupid, that's all their is to it.

Not liking Gaymercon isn't bigotry. Gaymercon existing at all is bigotry, it's gay gamers segregating themselves from the rest of the gaming scene. Being gay has nothing to do with you playing a video game.

It's stupid, that's all their is to it.

Can you present some evidence - any evidence at all - that straight people would be turned away from participating? Go ahead, I'll wait.

Can you present some evidence - any evidence at all - that straight people would be turned away from participating? Go ahead, I'll wait.
If anything, straight people would probably be encouraged to participate, if my experiences with the LGBT community are any indication. On that note, hopefully we'll be seeing more of this and less spoiled brats on LIVE spewing homophobic slurs. It would be a welcome change of pace.

In some countries, they put homosexuals to death, legally, we don't do that here. Also no other country recognizes gay marriage as a right, or allows it.

It could be worse, you could always live in those countries.

I don't really see what being gay has to do with gaming, or why you need to segregate and divide the community with stuff like this.

Nobody . . . cares.

As far as I'm concerned, marriage is not the business of the state; any state. Free people do not seek "permission" to marry from a gang of criminal thieves and I personally have no intention of ever getting a "marriage license" as I refuse to recognize the authority of a state to require such a thing.

I'm not sure "wrote his own version of the bible " is the correct wording. He literally cut the shit out of some bibles he didn't like, like with a razor blade cut out. Leaving in parts he liked including explanations of heaven and hell (must of missed it)...lol. If anything, this makes me think T.J was a certified nut case. Not to be taken seriously.

In my opinion you either accept the bible as a whole or your don't accept any of it at all. However to go through extracting your own story from its story, fucking weird, just weird.

I would suggest that anyone that accepts the bible as a whole should get their head examined.

Pretty sure the LGBT community that deals with harassment and legalized bigotry on a daily basis cares. And as a progressive liberal, I care because I am steadfastly opposed to having people's rights denied or taken away.

Oh, and you're wrong about gay marriage being recognized:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage#Legal_recognition

"Same-sex marriage is legally recognized nationwide in Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, and Sweden."

I personally find it shameful that America - a country founded on revolutionary principles of freedom - is no longer leading the world in being a fighter for civil rights and liberties. Instead, we have conservatives vocally fighting tooth and nail against concepts recognized specifically in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

When has this country ever been a fighter for civil rights? I mean, seriously, how long did it take the US to end slavery? How long did it take to desegregate?

hate groups? who? Other than that bozo "church" that picket's people's funerals, where are the hate groups? The only large scale stance I see opposite the homosexual crowd is those who want to define Marriage, with religious meaning of man and wife. "Marriage" has strong religious connotations, why bother desiring that word if you're not religious? Call it "Gayriage" or something. Aside from a very small fringe group/minority of people, nobody is beating the drums to take away partner benefits. Nobody is being thrown to the back of the bus.

OK, time to school you in etymology.

Marriage comes from the Latin word martius (and I automatically win here because I actually happen to be a fluent speaker of Latin and can go toe to toe with the pope, if need be) which, means, among other things, "lover", suggestion that the foundation of marriage is, in fact love, and not composition and gender.

In fact, the majority of Roman marriages were of the non-religious coemptio variety (literally a "bride purchase"), only the very wealthy got married confarreatio (the religious variety of marriage in Roman society; in the case of the Romans, presided over by the Pontifex Maximus (The head of the Roman pagan religion) and the Flamen Dialis (High Priest of Jupiter)).

It is only recently that Christians have co-opted the word marriage to have an exclusively religious meaning; they did it first when they wanted to deny interracial couples the ability to marry and now they do the same for gay couples. In fact, for pretty much every argument I've heard against gay marriage you could substitute the term "interracial marriage" and it would mirror the arguments made in the 50s and 60s.

Fail, do you even bother to read anything here other than your own posts?

I don't think he's talking about their purpose so much as result.

Except the escapism is not as easily obtained by LGBT gamers, since what they would seek to escape from is reinforced in the games.

Your views on politics and religion should be represented in some form as well. Gaming needs to mature and start exploring some deeper themes than the usual superhero-saving-the-world trope. Of course I would not argue that these games should not be developed anymore, but there is definitely room for deeper experiences just as with movies and literature (i.e. you could choose to see The Expendables 2 or some hard-htting indie film...in gaming, figuratively speaking, the only choice is The Expendables 2). We're starting to see it happen with games like Heavy Rain.

I would argue that "hetero sex" still isn't prominent in games because of conservative "family values" groups would kick up an even bigger stink than they did when gaming started letting people blow each other's virtual body parts apart.

I guess people need validation of their beliefs in video games? That's a little sad if that's what gaming is supposed to do... to validate our feelings.

Most of gaming is all about conflict and overcoming. Usually it's physical, but I wouldn't call it a white male thing. Maybe more male, though females usually don't game if they don't want some conflict. Even Nancy Drew and bejeweled have conflict and overcoming. Exploring various themes for a plot is good. I like plot, so long as it doesn't take away from conflict and overcoming. There are themes I'd like to see explored, but it's waaay to easy for these themes to appear forced and contrived, looking like propaganda. You just can't force it and say, "This is going to be a conservative game" or "this is going to be a animal rights game." It would ruin the game. Even top notch thought provoking movies really don't push the propaganda, at least too hard.

Anyways, a gaymer convention seems too contrived, making gaming a second fiddle.

OK, time to school you in etymology.

Marriage comes from the Latin word martius (and I automatically win here because I actually happen to be a fluent speaker of Latin and can go toe to toe with the pope, if need be) which, means, among other things, "lover", suggestion that the foundation of marriage is, in fact love, and not composition and gender.

In fact, the majority of Roman marriages were of the non-religious coemptio variety (literally a "bride purchase"), only the very wealthy got married confarreatio (the religious variety of marriage in Roman society; in the case of the Romans, presided over by the Pontifex Maximus (The head of the Roman pagan religion) and the Flamen Dialis (High Priest of Jupiter)).

It is only recently that Christians have co-opted the word marriage to have an exclusively religious meaning; they did it first when they wanted to deny interracial couples the ability to marry and now they do the same for gay couples. In fact, for pretty much every argument I've heard against gay marriage you could substitute the term "interracial marriage" and it would mirror the arguments made in the 50s and 60s.

Language is about meanings and usage. Etymology only goes so far. Etymology gives us elements of a word's meaning, and sometimes the original meaning of some words are lost. Translations of any text tends to lose significance of the original language. The exclusive union of a man and women goes on before Roman times. That carries religious meaning before Roman times. The issue of today is that the union of a man and wife is considered no different than one of a man and man. And that's where people have problems. That's what is meant by the definition of marriage.

I don't understand...if gays want to be treated as equals and all that jazz, then why must they separate themselves like this? I think they're alienating themselves as opposed to the opposite.

So they don't need to listen to asshats scram "faggot" at them on XBL?

We live in a world where Christian businesses who politely refuse to provide services to colored events (so-called weddings, festivals, and the like) are sued into oblivion, where even the slightest criticism of blacks leads to ostracism, employment termination, and possible imprisonment on account of a supposed hate crime violation. Anyone who attends this convention and tries to peacefully protest will either be arrested outright or forced by police to the fringes where their dissenting speech will be unheard. That's the kind of environment in which we currently live.

Emphasis my changes.

Welcome to the 1960's. Your way of thinking is just as outdated when you call homosexuals "sodomites."

dwsQm.jpg

I vote we have "Straightcon" - a special convention just for straight people - and watch the nuclear explosions and fireworks when the world explodes in righteous indignation due to "discrimination"

Nobody said straight folks can't go to gaymercon.

Plenty of kids apparently having sex with my mother apparently.. i guess we need to start a convention for that?

Plenty of people seem to think i suck so bad i was beaten as a child or my parents molest me...... guess we need to start a convention for that too...

So they don't need to listen to asshats scram "faggot" at them on XBL?

i have to ask, do the asshat gays scream "straighty!" or something else... or i am sure the word "bit*h" or "wh*re" is used more often? (words i recall my friends using often who were gay) So now should we have a "wh*rescon" for all the offended prostitute gamers.. (i know, little far fetched...)

Nobody said straight folks can't go to gaymercon.

They're just going to continue to rehash that falsehood because they need SOMETHING to justify their persecution complex.

Sure, but I don't see how the gaymer convention would lead to:
that's exactly what the problem with "special interest groups" trying to spout their equality propaganda while they pull stunts like this and expect us to accept it or be labeled a hatemonger.
Forget purpose; the convention isn't a stunt, it's not going to shove LGBT propaganda down people's throats, it's not going to label anyone a hatemonger.

But this is just a tangent. So is the marriage discussion. Might as well throw abortion in here too.
Point is, there is absolutely zero harm being done to anyone. If anyone sees this as a threat or a political stunt or gay rights propaganda, that's his fault.

buhahahahahaahahahaah, catches breath buhahahahaahahahahaaha.

Thanks for letting me know where to avoid.

Plenty of kids apparently having sex with my mother apparently.. i guess we need to start a convention for that?

Plenty of people seem to think i suck so bad i was beaten as a child or my parents molest me...... guess we need to start a convention for that too...

If there was an international award for completely missing the point, you would blow the competition away.

I guess people need validation of their beliefs in video games? That's a little sad if that's what gaming is supposed to do... to validate our feelings.

Most of gaming is all about conflict and overcoming. Usually it's physical, but I wouldn't call it a white male thing. Maybe more male, though females usually don't game if they don't want some conflict. Even Nancy Drew and bejeweled have conflict and overcoming. Exploring various themes for a plot is good. I like plot, so long as it doesn't take away from conflict and overcoming. There are themes I'd like to see explored, but it's waaay to easy for these themes to appear forced and contrived, looking like propaganda. You just can't force it and say, "This is going to be a conservative game" or "this is going to be a animal rights game." It would ruin the game. Even top notch thought provoking movies really don't push the propaganda, at least too hard.

Anyways, a gaymer convention seems too contrived, making gaming a second fiddle.

I think gaming would be better if it challenged out feelings rather than validating them, in regards to personal beliefs. Other forms of entertainment media can do this. Not every game needs to, just like not every TV show or movie does. It's not an "all or nothing" problem.

I think the issue of under-representation of LGBT people in gaming should not be trivialised. These people are represented in literature, television, film and stage productions...so why not games? The game doesn't need to centre around the homosexuality issue...it can just have a character in it (like Cortez in ME3) who just happens to be gay, just like some games can have black characters without the game being about racism and equality. Representation does not equal agenda or proganada.

Language is about meanings and usage. Etymology only goes so far. Etymology gives us elements of a word's meaning, and sometimes the original meaning of some words are lost. Translations of any text tends to lose significance of the original language. The exclusive union of a man and women goes on before Roman times. That carries religious meaning before Roman times. The issue of today is that the union of a man and wife is considered no different than one of a man and man. And that's where people have problems. That's what is meant by the definition of marriage.

You are moving the goalpost.

You argued that the word marriage has religious connotations. It does not, by any linguistic or etymological standard. Just because the church decides to co-opt a word for it's own purposes does not mean that this word suddenly gains religious significance to the exclusive of its original definition.

I would point out that most of the so-called supporters of "traditional marriage" in fact have no idea what a traditional marriage actually entails; a "traditional marriage" is one in which the woman is nothing more than a piece of chattel, to be traded from father to husband in the same manner as one would trade a cow or a pig.

Sure, but I don't see how the gaymer convention would lead to:

Forget purpose; the convention isn't a stunt, it's not going to shove LGBT propaganda down people's throats, it's not going to label anyone a hatemonger.

But this is just a tangent. So is the marriage discussion. Might as well throw abortion in here too.
Point is, there is absolutely zero harm being done to anyone. If anyone sees this as a threat or a political stunt or gay rights propaganda, that's his fault.
10$ says it will do all of those.

if they got Judas Priest to put on a concert at the convention, i might go

10$ says it will do all of those.

Of course, why else have a gay gamer convention? It's to spread the gay love and propaganda there, and just to think there will be some straight impressionable kids there who think it's about gaming but then they will show up and see that it's not.

It's more about being gay than gaming.

Guys! Guys.

Listen. Sexuality is very important in gaming, and clearly a guy that longs for schlongs isn't going to play Civilization V the same as a straight guy (and will likely want to play entirely different games anyway), so a unique gay venue is required.

I'm hoping we can also host a transgamercon as well, so the unique gaming preferences of transexuals can be catered to at a specialized event.

Hooray, the future is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back