GaymerCon is a Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oppressed.gif

Man does that chart seem shitty (for lack of a better word). I mean , I get the point you were trying to make but at least use a semi-accurate chart...lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations

How do you know? Me personally, lived in the Caribbean for 2 years and now am a white male living in Costa Rica Latin america, i deal with discrimination regularly in some form or another cause i am a "gringo" so get off you're high horse as if your the only "victim" in this world.....

Cool story bro. Your experience isn't typical and I'm pretty sure that he's talking about the experience of Americans.

So if it is not exclusive, why use the title with "gay" in it? sounds like they are trying pretty dam hard to make it exclusive....?

And what evidence do you have to support this idea? What makes you think they'll turn away open-minded straight people?

Why not just use something that does not broadcast ones sexual preference in it?

Because they have a message they're trying to support.

As already said, people don't need to know, and believe it or not.. don't care who or what your f**king, but it always seems to be made a point with those who choose same sex to broadcast to the world they like the same sex cause they need to rub it in people's faces.....

OK? So? Not everyone takes this approach. Homophobic discrimination (see Deadly Ramon in this very thread) is still rampant in our society. They have a cause they're fighting for. If you don't care, then just move on.

I have gay friends and i couldn't give a flying crap about what they prefer, i also don't go around telling them about my "straight sex" and how i am straight and i like women....

Uh-huh. "I have plenty of (insert minority here) friends..." :rolleyes:

I am all for raising awareness, but this is not how you do it.

Please, oh master of civil rights movements...what is the best way of raising awareness then?

I am sure you have asshat gays at conventions too... it is no different than asshat straights everywhere else, just because your gay doesn't suddenly make you a rainbow loving peaceful human being. The opposite from what one friend told me actually, his boyfriends and most gay guys he knows are total arrogant selfish pricks who use guys like sex toys, especially those who just came out...

Again...cool story bro. :rolleyes:

Imagine the uproar if there was a hetero convention. And imagine the greater uproar if there was a "formerly gay" convention.

You just described "Promise Keepers". :)

I am a complete homophobe and I still think that is funny.
Seriously, I am genuinely afraid of gays and lesbians, and high places and confined places.

I have no problem with them, I am just afraid of them. God bless them, I am sure they are all very nice people.

Why do they need their own game convention? Isn't that discriminatory?

Heterophobes!

You just described "Promise Keepers". :)

I am a complete homophobe and I still think that is funny.
Seriously, I am genuinely afraid of gays and lesbians, and high places and confined places.

I have no problem with them, I am just afraid of them. God bless them, I am sure they are all very nice people.

Why do they need their own game convention? Isn't that discriminatory?

Heterophobes!

:facepalm: How many fucking times do we have to cover the "hetero convention" nonsense?

Gallup polls the United States at 36% irreligious if you click the link.

Depends a lot on how Gallup defines "irreligious." If it defines it as not actively going to church on Sunday, then the number will be higher. But there's no way that the U.S. was closer to 36% atheist/agnostic. The country would be a lot better off if that was the case.

Honestly, I think all this "hate" is brought on gay people by themselves by doing stunts like this and trying to throw their sexual preference in other people's faces.

Why can't they just keep it in the bedroom at home like everyone else does? Nobody cares if you're doing another guy up the butt, so there's no need to go out there and announce that's what you like to do at night.

This "gaymer" convention doesn't do anything positive for the gaming community, all it does is divide it, and that's exactly what the problem with "special interest groups" trying to spout their equality propaganda while they pull stunts like this and expect us to accept it or be labeled a hatemonger.

Honestly, I think all this "hate" is brought on gay people by themselves by doing stunts like this and trying to throw their sexual preference in other people's faces.

Why can't they just keep it in the bedroom at home like everyone else does? Nobody cares if you're doing another guy up the butt, so there's no need to go out there and announce that's what you like to do at night.

This "gaymer" convention doesn't do anything positive for the gaming community, all it does is divide it, and that's exactly what the problem with "special interest groups" trying to spout their equality propaganda while they pull stunts like this and expect us to accept it or be labeled a hatemonger.

You'd have a point if Christian hate groups all across America weren't actively lobbying to deny equal rights to the LGBT community. But they do...so you don't. Your argument is nothing more than the modern-day equivalent of the "uppity blacks" argument of the '60s. And it's just as stupid and offensive.

You'd have a point if Christian hate groups all across America weren't actively lobbying to deny equal rights to the LGBT community. But they do...so you don't. Your argument is nothing more than the modern-day equivalent of the "uppity blacks" argument of the '60s. And it's just as stupid and offensive.

You're wrong, nobody is telling gay people to get in the back of the bus, don't even try to equate what goes on with "gay rights" with the civil rights movement.

We live in a world where Christian businesses who politely refuse to provide services to sodomite events (so-called weddings, festivals, and the like) are sued into oblivion, where even the slightest criticism of the sodomite deathstyle leads to ostracism, employment termination, and possible imprisonment on account of a supposed hate crime violation. Anyone who attends this convention and tries to peacefully protest will either be arrested outright or forced by police to the fringes where their dissenting speech will be unheard. That's the kind of environment in which we currently live.

Wowser...off to the ignore filter you go.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

hate groups? who? Other than that bozo "church" that picket's people's funerals, where are the hate groups? The only large scale stance I see opposite the homosexual crowd is those who want to define Marriage, with religious meaning of man and wife. "Marriage" has strong religious connotations, why bother desiring that word if you're not religious? Call it "Gayriage" or something. Aside from a very small fringe group/minority of people, nobody is beating the drums to take away partner benefits. Nobody is being thrown to the back of the bus.

Lol.. alienating themselves when they want to be equal. That's smart!
Just like minority groups that push so hard for special treatment that they're willingly on track for (re)segregation...something that they fought so hard to get out of. Simply brilliant! :rolleyes:

hate groups? who? Other than that bozo "church" that picket's people's funerals, where are the hate groups? The only large scale stance I see opposite the homosexual crowd is those who want to define Marriage, with religious meaning of man and wife. "Marriage" has strong religious connotations, why bother desiring that word if you're not religious? Call it "Gayriage" or something. Aside from a very small fringe group/minority of people, nobody is beating the drums to take away partner benefits. Nobody is being thrown to the back of the bus.

Focus on the Family, for example. Some of these groups have not only been actively lobbying to deny civil rights to Americans...they have also been working to make homosexuality illegal in other countries...including countries where the penalty for breaking the law is DEATH.

And by the way, historically, a couple hundred years ago, marriage was a contract between two men anyway...between the husband and the wife's father, to trade her as property. Marriage definitions have changed in the past and it will continue to change in the future.

Plus, there's that whole 14th Amendment thing and that pesky Supreme Court ruling about "Separate but equal..."

This is stupid... like somone said. If you want to be equal, why separate yourself. This doesn't just applies to gays, it applies to everything that's doing much the same thing.

In some countries, they put homosexuals to death, legally, we don't do that here. Also no other country recognizes gay marriage as a right, or allows it.

It could be worse, you could always live in those countries.

I don't really see what being gay has to do with gaming, or why you need to segregate and divide the community with stuff like this.

Nobody . . . cares.

Focus on the Family, for example. Some of these groups have not only been actively lobbying to deny civil rights to Americans...they have also been working to make homosexuality illegal in other countries...including countries where the penalty for breaking the law is DEATH.

And by the way, historically, a couple hundred years ago, marriage was a contract between two men anyway...between the husband and the wife's father, to trade her as property. Marriage definitions have changed in the past and it will continue to change in the future.

Plus, there's that whole 14th Amendment thing and that pesky Supreme Court ruling about "Separate but equal..."

Just ask the Koch brothers :D

I suppose you think Jefferson was referring to the Christian god in your signature quote? Because after all, he was such a huge believer, right? Not like he went and wrote his own version of the Bible, stripping the New Testament of all unsupportable "miracle" claims or anything, right?

I'm not sure "wrote his own version of the bible " is the correct wording. He literally cut the shit out of some bibles he didn't like, like with a razor blade cut out. Leaving in parts he liked including explanations of heaven and hell (must of missed it)...lol. If anything, this makes me think T.J was a certified nut case. Not to be taken seriously.

In my opinion you either accept the bible as a whole or your don't accept any of it at all. However to go through extracting your own story from its story, fucking weird, just weird.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In some countries, they put homosexuals to death, legally, we don't do that here. Also no other country recognizes gay marriage as a right, or allows it.

Are you suggesting that they should be put to death if it were not for the legal system in this country?

And no, I'm pretty sure there are several countries besides the US that allows gay marriage.

I don't really see what being gay has to do with gaming, or why you need to segregate and divide the community with stuff like this.

Think this has been addressed several times in this thread, the convention isn't segregating/dividing anything.

Nobody . . . cares.

There are plenty of people other than you who do care.

It could be worse, you could always live in those countries.

Nobody . . . cares.

Pretty sure the LGBT community that deals with harassment and legalized bigotry on a daily basis cares. And as a progressive liberal, I care because I am steadfastly opposed to having people's rights denied or taken away.

Oh, and you're wrong about gay marriage being recognized:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage#Legal_recognition

"Same-sex marriage is legally recognized nationwide in Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, and Sweden."

I personally find it shameful that America - a country founded on revolutionary principles of freedom - is no longer leading the world in being a fighter for civil rights and liberties. Instead, we have conservatives vocally fighting tooth and nail against concepts recognized specifically in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I'm not sure "wrote his own version of the bible " is the correct wording. He literally cut the shit out of some bibles he didn't like, like with a razor blade cut out. Leaving in parts he liked including explanations of heaven and hell (must of missed it)...lol. If anything, this makes me think T.J was a certified nut case. Not to be taken seriously.

In my opinion you either accept the bible as a whole or your don't accept any of it at all. However to go through extracting your own story from its story, fucking weird, just weird.

Jefferson basically went through the New Testament because he liked a lot of the moral ideas espoused by Jesus in it, but wanted to cut out all the bullshit that couldn't be supported by rational people. Heaven and hell as a concept just didn't make the cut. It's like when River was tearing out shit that just didn't make sense in Firefly. But basically, the concept is simple...when it comes right down to it, a lot of New Testament morality is actually pretty basic stuff. Love thy neighbor, support thy community. Honestly, I simply can't fathom how the Christian Right justifies some of its positions. Stephen Colbert said it best:

colbert-quote.jpg

Of course focus on the family will try to convert you out of the gay lifestyle. I'd be surprised if they were trying to promote laws killing people.

And no one defined marriage as a contract between a man and the father in law. It did get pathetic at that time but no one would definite it as such, except in jest or to make a point about the satirizing the "business" side of it. You're making a point about the laws of administering marriage.

Anyways, I enough of the red herring, what Fail said. Having special interest groups doesn't help "bring everyone together." Anyways, I wouldn't want to go to a gamer's convention that celebrated my favorite political points of view. Gaming is about gaming. Gaymers can do what they want though. Some gay people care less about stirring controversy. Maybe when they get older they are less "in your face"?

Today women are greatly more respected and independent so they are not anymore sold to husband just as a tool to bring children and sex toy.
I think modern society is not really discriminating anyone. Although i'm straight I was gaming actively for 10 years and I never met with any gay abuse at all.

You'd have a point if there still weren't idiots trying to discriminate and generally treat LGBT people like shit. If everyone were content to just say, "I don't care what you do in the bedroom, have at it" then it wouldn't be an issue and the LGBT community wouldn't have to be vocal about it. But that's not the case. I'm sorry that them standing up for themselves and their rights is an inconvenience to you, but you're just going to have to get over it.
I don't see the point. Anonymity is something that helps protect people from such discrimination. I remember in World of Warcraft that Blizzard wanted forum posters names and not their avatars. It should be fairly easy to hide yourself behind such an alias. Now I know it isn't easy to hold back your personal life. Just yesterday a guild officer announced his mother has cancer. He just had to get it off his chest. There have been moments that we've had gay raiders as well. There never was an issue with it. Though it is very strange for someone to say something like that.

I like to keep myself an enigma in games, as far as personal life goes. They don't even know my real name, and I'd like to keep it like that. As soon as people find out anything about you, even something as simple as what car you drive, they will take the time to make fun of you for it when they can. I don't like being judged by people either, especially those who shouldn't be talking.

As far as homosexuality is outside of gaming, that's a totally different problem.

pretty basic stuff...

I agree, it's pretty basic stuff. No bible necessary it's so basic. So again, IMPO, no sane person would go through the bible front to back with a knife cutting out the stuff they like/don't like. It's nutty.

Plus, his edited version should've literally been ten pages long at most. Not only that but he was disrespecting the religion and anyone believing in it since it clearly says altering the bible is a sin punishable by death. Makes no sense to me anyway. I never read this version of the bible but it honestly makes me wonder if he left some of the most absurd bible verses in it because they had nothing to do with Magic or "bullshit". Yet they were actually some of the biggest words in discrediting the bibles value to be a good book.

He should've just made a self help book instead, instead of becoming a weirdo in my book...lol.

Shit, I'm off topic, sorry. Back to arguing over trivial shit (in comparison to...) while the government and bankers literally strip our freedoms away and steal our small amounts of wealth that's left.

Quick Questions: Can I marry something outside of my species? Or can I decide to stay single my entire life but marry myself for additional government benefits? Just wondering...

Maybe when they get older they are less "in your face"?

This tends to be true of most everyone. A lot of young people feel they have something to prove. As long as someone has a "cause" of any kind, and they have energy and passion, they'll be out to evangelize, whether it's religion, politics, some social cause... what have you. Older people tend to not be as loud, and usually career, family, and the needs of surviving in society in general take precedent. It doesn't mean they necessarily give up what they feel is important, but it does change how they participate. Older working people tend to make financial contributions and become involved in organizations that lever social and political influence.

As for the convention, let them have it if they like. I don't see how this is hurting anyone.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why so many people here are upset that the LGBT community want their own convention. It's not like they are protesting or boycotting other conventions. They aren't segregating themselves from anything at all. Is there some sort of contract that people need to sign in order to get into GaymerCon that says "By entering this convention you hereby damn and swear off any other convention"?

For the record, I'm a heterosexual married man who has attended a LOT of conventions across many subcultural genres. I've like-minded friends who happen to be gay who also go to these same conventions. More than enough times they've been singled-out in some sort of way that completely ruined their experience. It's disheartening to say the least. It doesn't take a vast majority of a population to make an LGBT person feel out of place at a common ground convention. It takes just 1 person. If the LGBT community feels that there is enough interest among their community to have such a convention where even just a HANDFUL of attendees are going being they just feel a little more comfortable, who the hell are you to say they shouldn't?

Niche is niche. If they have the interest and the venue, I say good on'em. It hurts nobody and empowers some.

I'm going to make a convention for fat, balding gamer men whose last names begin with the letter T. I guess maybe I don't deserve my equal rights either.

:rolleyes:

Becasue its an obvious, 'we dont feel like part of society', so instead of actively contributing for all, they make these pity party sub-groups and 'woe is me' in a big circle. If you want to be a respectable freedom fighter, fight for the rights of all mankind, not just your sub-group. I feel they are actviely hurting their cause by making sexuality a concern for gaming.

i dunno maybe they have a point to seperate and do their own thing: ever play counterstrike on a pub server - the biggest go to put down is some derivation on being gay "faggot", "homo", etc plus some other phrase like noob.

Becasue its an obvious, 'we dont feel like part of society', so instead of actively contributing for all, they make these pity party sub-groups and 'woe is me' in a big circle. If you want to be a respectable freedom fighter, fight for the rights of all mankind, not just your sub-group. I feel they are actviely hurting their cause by making sexuality a concern for gaming.

'Cause it's not like they have legitimate concerns or anything. :rolleyes:

That "bozo church" is thought by some to be Liberal activists posing as Conservatives ... They're deliberately obnoxious and were protesting at military funerals when the military wouldn't let homosexuals serve openingly. Do the math. Why weren't they protesting in front of those courthouses that were redefining marriage?

Back to GaymerCon, what's the point of a homosexual gaming convention, other than to be divisive? All I've seen by its defenders is BS... to escape persecution... what persecution?

That "bozo church" is thought by some to be Liberal activists posing as Conservatives ... They're deliberately obnoxious and were protesting at military funerals when the military wouldn't let homosexuals serve openingly. Do the math. Why weren't they protesting in front of those courthouses that were redefining marriage?

Nope, they're very real.

Back to GaymerCon, what's the point of a homosexual gaming convention, other than to be divisive? All I've seen by its defenders is BS... to escape persecution... what persecution?

I happy to think that having people lobby the government to take a group's rights away equates to persecution. On a smaller scale, spent any time on XBOX Live lately? Or any online gaming, really...

You gotta be kinda careful with this sort of argument. If you're lumping the whole of christianity in with the few groups who are douches, then you can apply the same principle to other groups. Then all gay men become pedophiles, all muslims become terrorists, etc. As a christian I don't really have a problem with this community. I don't agree with their lifestyle, but that's their business and not mine. I don't go poking into the bedroom of straight people so why should I care what anyone does in private? As long as it's not hurting anyone and they're not shoving it in my face, it's their own business. There are certain types of people that I don't associate with on a personal level but that has more to do with lifestyle choice than any kind of hate. It's the same as any other lifestyle choices really, I know some cool people who smoke dope but it's not something i want around me or my family. No hate against the person, i'd just rather not have that lifestyle around me or my family. Same with people who are into orgys, one night stands, crack heads, etc.

Regarding the whole "equal rights" issue and marriage, i think a lot of people misunderstand the argument. Most people I know aren't against gay marriage because of two gays getting together, they're against it because it's called marriage, and there's a big push to force the church to accept it and perform the ceremony. I think that if from a legal standpoint we called all marriages, straight, gay, or otherwise, a civil union instead of a marriage this argument would largely disappear. When you boil it down that way it does seem really stupid to argue about, so change the term for everyone and see what happens. Just don't force religious people to participate in it if it goes against their beliefs, legal rights and religion shouldn't be in the same argument anyway. Everyone should have the same legal rights and protections anyway, but asking whole groups of religions to support something they don't believe in is asking for trouble.

On a personal level I could really give a rat's ass if two people with the same genitals want to be together, I don't see any real reason they shouldn't be allowed to have the same legal benefits that people with opposing parts would get. I do echo some of the same comments others made: i find it ironic that so many groups hold special events to show just how much like everyone else they are.

Regarding the OT, good on them. But seriously, when have people been cast out of anything tech related for being gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back