GaymerCon is a Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the convention. I'm just wondering why everything these days has to be based on skin color or sexual orientation or anything else or why any of it's even relevant.

What does sexual orientation have to do with gaming?

Why not simply have another gaming convention where everyone comes and has a good time?

I vote we have "Straightcon" - a special convention just for straight people - and watch the nuclear explosions and fireworks when the world explodes in righteous indignation due to "discrimination"

Please never post again. Straight people are allowed at this convention.

I'm glad you live in a happy dream world. Unfortunately the reality is that the gay community is pretty much treated like shit in the gaming community, and in society in general. They have a significant number of concerns and issues that do not apply to straight gamers. If that's enough to sustain to a convention, we'll see soon enough. Shared interests, concerns, issues, whatever, is all you need to really justify a convention.

The fact that so many people seem vehemently opposed to the existence of this convention is almost justification enough to have it.

Stick it to the man, right?

Don't tell anyone there not welcome, shit will be full of straight folk anyway.

Sponsored by Microsoft and will be full of Dance Dance Kinect fun time "Image" :p that Microsoft has been perusing for some time.

Shit we have all seen that hardcore line up for Windows 8 :rolleyes:

Anyone who's posted a disparaging comment in this thread - you're the reason this convention is needed. Douchebags.

Someone does something discriminatory and is criticized for being discriminatory, and then you point to that criticism to justify the discrimination. If you're going to call someone a douchebag, I suggest you say it to the mirror.

Why can't they just be happy with a convention for -everyone-?

I'm sure I might get some flak for this but logically, it makes no sense to me.

To avoid the bullshit that was so plainly said in the article post... and further exampled by half the posters in this thread.

Please never post again. Straight people are allowed at this convention.
Here's a direct quote:

"The gaming world gets its own Pride Parade in GaymerCon: a special convention just for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender community."

So STFU and read the article before posting.

Good for them. If there is a demand for it (and apparently there was if there was a successful Kickstarter), why the hell not?

Gaming is a social event and people like to hang out with people of similar interests, it really isn't surprising.

Here's a direct quote:

"The gaming world gets its own Pride Parade in GaymerCon: a special convention just for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender community."

So STFU and read the article before posting.

Regardless of that particular quote, you're allowed to go if you are straight. That's already been clarified. Besides use your brain for a fucking second, how are they gonna tell? Handjobs at the door?

Have the convention. I'm just wondering why everything these days has to be based on skin color or sexual orientation or anything else or why any of it's even relevant.

Why not simply have another gaming convention where everyone comes and has a good time?

You should turn up wearing a t-shirt saying: “I am straight, and I want to play with you.”

And by the way, generally speaking, the LGBT community has always been inclusive of straight individuals who are supportive. The only people who aren't going to be welcome here are Sarah Palin's buddies.

Gaming convention or gay convention what is it, or is it a convention for people of similar interests. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you live in a happy dream world. Unfortunately the reality is that the gay community is pretty much treated like shit in the gaming community, and in society in general. They have a significant number of concerns and issues that do not apply to straight gamers. If that's enough to sustain to a convention, we'll see soon enough. Shared interests, concerns, issues, whatever, is all you need to really justify a convention.

The fact that so many people seem vehemently opposed to the existence of this convention is almost justification enough to have it.

This.

Thanks for the compliment, you may have just called some members of the LGBT community douchebags... Real smart there. You don't have to be of any particular sexual orientation to spot blatant discrimination.

I'm not seeing the coherence here.

Having safe spaces for community members and allies to express themselves is a good part of what the LGBTQ community does in the first place.

Next time, please comment on the ideas I am presenting rather than making sarcastic remarks (or the like) that do little to further the conversation.

Because things like skin color, sexuality, etc. are a significant part of our world that do a whole lot to frame and alter the ways in which people live their lives.

Burying our heads in sand will do nothing to change this. Talking about it might - which is exactly what events like this aim to do.

Regardless of that particular quote, you're allowed to go if you are straight. That's already been clarified. Besides use your brain for a fucking second, how are they gonna tell? Handjobs at the door?
*SWOOOOSH*

That's the sound of you completely missing the point.

I dare you to try organising and then posting an article that you're having a gaming convention "just for straight people" and include your contact details with it. You will literally explode with the hate mail and vitriol you'll get. Yet they can post that it's "just for LGBT" and all is good in the world.

I could care less who organises anything for anyone... what pisses me off is the sheer inequality of it all.

*SWOOOOSH*

I dare you to try organising and then posting an article that you're having a gaming convention "just for straight people" and include your contact details with it. You will literally explode with the hate mail and vitriol you'll get. Yet they can post that it's "just for LGBT" and all is good in the world.

I could care less who organises anything for anyone... what pisses me off is the sheer inequality of it all.

It's only inquality when you frame it as narrowly as you do. Straight Americans are not an oppressed group that are made to feel uncomfortable in the broader gaming community. Niche groups have always had clubs, conventions, radio, TV, and movies designed to address their niche concerns.

A straight convention would attract a bigot crowd in favor of oppressing gays. A gay convention isn't going to attract a bunch of people opposed to heterosexuals very existence.

It's a false comparison.

*SWOOOOSH*

But this isn't a convention just for gay people.

I have nothing about gays, but seriously, why? Because they get offended when someone uses "faggot" as an insult? Who gives a shit, get over it I think something along the lines of "female gamer convention" would probably be more appropriate, as they genuinely have reason to want to break away from gamer stereotypes and are singled out because of their sexuality.

Also, I wonder if any websites are gonna do a "booth babes" segment for this convention. :p

And by the way, generally speaking, the LGBT community has always been inclusive of straight individuals who are supportive. The only people who aren't going to be welcome here are Sarah Palin's buddies.

Yep. They're called allies. Something that the people completely are not when they're telling effete jokes, whinging about discrimination they've never actually personally experienced in their lives or calling us thin skin faggots for not being able to "handle" other conventions.

Go somewhere where you constantly feel threatened and tell us how it feels. You'd be preaching to the choir. When gaming usually consists of people calling us fags, queers, cocksuckers, kids telling us to take it up the ass... when we already do... it gets a bit tiring and old. Those who can't understand the need for such a space have never gotten glares or a threat of a beatdown because you wanted to hold hands and feel comfortable with your significant other in public.

Says the white, straight male who has never personally had to deal with any discrimination or oppression for being different or a minority in any way.

Says the white, straight male who has never personally had to deal with any discrimination or oppression for being different or a minority in any way.

Affirmative action discriminates against white men.

There are lots of scholarships that are only available to women or minorities.

So white men face the most institutionalized discrimination in both education and the job market.

So white men face the most institutionalized discrimination in both education and the job market.

And that kind of discrimination is legal!

Reading this thread I now know why some people post the way they do. Revelation!

And that kind of discrimination is legal!

Which is really odd because white men are still the majority in government and legal instutions that are in charge of making those policies. White guys are also the ones to which BDSM appeals from a masochist perspective. Weirdness, huh?

5JDI6.gif

I vote we have "Straightcon" - a special convention just for straight people - and watch the nuclear explosions and fireworks when the world explodes in righteous indignation due to "discrimination"

Can we just stop with this line of reasoning? Every time a minority wants to express themselves with something like this, this line of bullshit gets trotted out. We've already had our "Straightcon" or "White History Month" or "Christian Appreciation Day." It's called everyfuckingthingelse. :rolleyes:

When white Christian Republicans can stop hating and discriminating on everybody that's different from them (because 9 times out of 10 you know it's some retard who's too stupid to fucking figure out that hate is NOT supposed to be a Christian value) then the need for things like this will go away. This convention isn't going to be about a bunch of LGBT people getting together to wage war on heterosexuality, it's about a bunch of gamers who happen to be LGBT wanting to get together and enjoy their hobby in peace without enduring harassment from right-wing bigoted retards and maybe, just maybe, try to send out a positive social message out to the hundreds of thousands of LGBT people that still to this day, in fucking 2012, feel ashamed or scared of their sexuality.

"We're here, we're queer, get over it" isn't a message that they'd need to send out if the Christian Right would remove head from ass and let them live their lives in peace.

Sincerely,

A straight person

Straw man arguments are fun, aren't they?

It certainly is straw man when you put words in my mouth. Gays don't have to be excluded from events celebrating hetero relationships. Regardless of what you think of him didn't Rush Limbaugh have a wedding with a gay singer, Elton John? I think it's very very foolish to exclude gays from coming in to any event celebrating hetero relationships.

A generic gaming convention isn't sticking one's head in the sand. I haven't heard of any gaming conventions that celebrate heterosexuality. (and yes, it's possibly for one such convention to welcome gays in the door). I'm sure a Republican or Democrat gaming convention sounds weird. Politics just takes away from the good stuff, i.e. gaming. Now I would be curious to see what a supposed communist gaming convention would be like.

And as far as the minority card goes, the views of a traditional white hetro male on TV are far from being the majority. On 99% of the channels, there's a status quo now, and if you don't agree, then keep silent. Other than issues of "defining what marriage is", is there a single news person from Fox who publicly says that homosexuality is evil? They bring up the definition of marriage issue, but that's all I've seen from the little I've seen fox news. Even Sarah Palin says nothing against what gays do on their own time. The only thing "minority" about gays, is that more people tend to be hetero. There seems to be more gays than people actively bashing gays.

I'd agree with you if minorities still didn't have an uphill battle that they have to fight if they want to be successful. The stats don't lie - the average household income and net worth of black Americans is ridiculously lower than their white counterparts. We can't just say, "well hey, we ended racism, so yeah...now it's your fault." Affirmative action is only supposed to be a temporary measure to basically catch minorities up to speed given that they've historically been at an extreme disadvantage for a long time. I want to oppose the concept too, but, as with this kind of LGBT convention, it's fucking shameful that it's still needed in 2012.

I'd agree with you if minorities still didn't have an uphill battle that they have to fight if they want to be successful. The stats don't lie - the average household income and net worth of black Americans is ridiculously lower than their white counterparts. We can't just say, "well hey, we ended racism, so yeah...now it's your fault." Affirmative action is only supposed to be a temporary measure to basically catch minorities up to speed given that they've historically been at an extreme disadvantage for a long time. I want to oppose the concept too, but, as with this kind of LGBT convention, it's fucking shameful that it's still needed in 2012.

Well, go take a look at the local welfare line, then you'll see the reason for that.

Well, go take a look at the local welfare line, then you'll see the reason for that.

This should be good. :rolleyes: Go ahead, Fail, live up to your name and explain to us what the reason for that is.

Can we just stop with this line of reasoning? Every time a minority wants to express themselves with something like this, this line of bullshit gets trotted out. We've already had our "Straightcon" or "White History Month" or "Christian Appreciation Day." It's called everyfuckingthingelse. :rolleyes:

When white Christian Republicans can stop hating and discriminating on everybody that's different from them (because 9 times out of 10 you know it's some retard who's too stupid to fucking figure out that hate is NOT supposed to be a Christian value) then the need for things like this will go away. This convention isn't going to be about a bunch of LGBT people getting together to wage war on heterosexuality, it's about a bunch of gamers who happen to be LGBT wanting to get together and enjoy their hobby in peace without enduring harassment from right-wing bigoted retards and maybe, just maybe, try to send out a positive social message out to the hundreds of thousands of LGBT people that still to this day, in fucking 2012, feel ashamed or scared of their sexuality.

"We're here, we're queer, get over it" isn't a message that they'd need to send out if the Christian Right would remove head from ass and let them live their lives in peace.

Sincerely,

A straight person

God damn, someone that actually gets it

Is the "nerd scene" really that homophobic? I mean, sometimes people will say something like "that's gay" but that doesn't automatically make you homophobic.

Only gaming is desperately homophobic. I mean take xboxlive or any online multiplayer that isnt an mmorpg

But here, we have these "groups" who scream their message and cry for equality but at the same time want special treatment. It's one way or the other.

Why can't they just be happy with a convention for -everyone-?

I'm sure I might get some flak for this but logically, it makes no sense to me.
I agree. Lots of people are gay and just fit in normally. They're not kept out of any conventions and lots of anime conventions are full of gay people...so why have your own and stand out/alienate straight people?

If any place was called "StraightCon" it would get 0 funding and sponsors. I don't understand why minorities always expect special treatment while claiming to just want to be "equal". You're not equal if you get a special convention just for you.

I'm fully aware of the gaming community and how it treats people. Seriously, we need to clean it up. Making a group called GaymerCon is just going to do nothing, other then give said people ammunition. The gaming community isn't a place to go around asking for pity. These are the same people who go to 4chan and create memes just to make fun of stuff just like this. Your appeal for clemency will just create a meme.

We'd have to clean up the gaming community first and foremost. Last I checked women gamers get harassed in games, and something needs to be done about that too. They have created groupsHas it worked?
Because everywhere I go I see groups just like this. Isn't just gay. Someday New York City needs to have a Parade day Parade, cause they have a Parade for everything. Cause too many groups of people wanna stand out. It's getting annoying.

What's next, small penis gamers? Short people gamers? Short small penis gamers? Bald short small penis gamers, who also happen to be gay? NO! It's getting out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back