GaymerCon is a Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With the help and support of Microsoft, funding from Kickstarter, and a secured location, Gaymercon is an official go. The convention will be held in San Francisco next summer and will be the first official LGBT gaming convention ever.

Speaking to GayGamer.com, event founder Matt Conn also talked about how he has been active for years in creating space for “gay geeks,” feeling like the nerd scene was often openly homophobic, while the gay scene didn’t always have room for his love of anime, video games, and similar subcultural pursuits.

There's going to be all kinds of joysticks at this convention, that's for sure!
:eek:

I really don't get these groups of people (feminists, LBGTY or whatever the acronyms are). I don't have a problem with them or who they want to be. Hell, I have a friend who happens to be gay and it doesn't really mean anything to me out of the norm. But here, we have these "groups" who scream their message and cry for equality but at the same time want special treatment. It's one way or the other.

Why can't they just be happy with a convention for -everyone-?

I'm sure I might get some flak for this but logically, it makes no sense to me.

I don't understand...if gays want to be treated as equals and all that jazz, then why must they separate themselves like this? I think they're alienating themselves as opposed to the opposite.

Don't get purpose of gaming convention intentionally be organized only for LGBT visitors, don't know what sex(and sex orientation) has to do with games at all.

So this is necessary because...?

They do so much to play the equality card, yet they are always separating themselves out to be special.

Is the "nerd scene" really that homophobic? I mean, sometimes people will say something like "that's gay" but that doesn't automatically make you homophobic.

If they ever wonder why people dislike (note, I said dislike, not hate) them, it's because of things like this. Term-X hit the nail on the head. They want equal treatment, but they also want to do things which segregate themselves from society.

Scream about rights and equality, then self-segregate.

One convention where Im not looking forward to the booth babes.

J/k, I AM looking forward to them!

Lol.. alienating themselves when they want to be equal. That's smart!

Dude, you're such a homophone...homosap...homo...homofff....homo-something-something.

I can't remember what they call you when you're not actively supporting every little injustice of their cause, or dislike any single insignificant facet of their sexual life, but you're it. ;)

Sad thing is, someone somewhere thought they were so clever with the "GaymerCon" as a name for this convention, that they just HAD to have it. No to do so would have wasted a gay-awesome play-on words...

This is so Gaylarious...

What's the point? Is homosexual gaming so freaky that they need their own venue? "Oh silly, slap that monster... oooh!"

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why so many people here are upset that the LGBT community want their own convention. It's not like they are protesting or boycotting other conventions. They aren't segregating themselves from anything at all. Is there some sort of contract that people need to sign in order to get into GaymerCon that says "By entering this convention you hereby damn and swear off any other convention"?

For the record, I'm a heterosexual married man who has attended a LOT of conventions across many subcultural genres. I've like-minded friends who happen to be gay who also go to these same conventions. More than enough times they've been singled-out in some sort of way that completely ruined their experience. It's disheartening to say the least. It doesn't take a vast majority of a population to make an LGBT person feel out of place at a common ground convention. It takes just 1 person. If the LGBT community feels that there is enough interest among their community to have such a convention where even just a HANDFUL of attendees are going being they just feel a little more comfortable, who the hell are you to say they shouldn't?

Niche is niche. If they have the interest and the venue, I say good on'em. It hurts nobody and empowers some.

I'm going to make a convention for fat, balding gamer men whose last names begin with the letter T. I guess maybe I don't deserve my equal rights either.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why so many people here are upset that the LGBT community want their own convention. It's not like they are protesting or boycotting other conventions. They aren't segregating themselves from anything at all. Is there some sort of contract that people need to sign in order to get into GaymerCon that says "By entering this convention you hereby damn and swear off any other convention"?

Imagine the uproar if there was a hetero convention. And imagine the greater uproar if there was a "formerly gay" convention.

For the record, I'm a heterosexual married man who has attended a LOT of conventions across many subcultural genres. I've like-minded friends who happen to be gay who also go to these same conventions. More than enough times they've been singled-out in some sort of way that completely ruined their experience. It's disheartening to say the least. It doesn't take a vast majority of a population to make an LGBT person feel out of place at a common ground convention. It takes just 1 person. If the LGBT community feels that there is enough interest among their community to have such a convention where even just a HANDFUL of attendees are going being they just feel a little more comfortable, who the hell are you to say they shouldn't?

Niche is niche. If they have the interest and the venue, I say good on'em. It hurts nobody and empowers some.

I'm going to make a convention for fat, balding gamer men whose last names begin with the letter T. I guess maybe I don't deserve my equal rights either.

:rolleyes:

:D +1 It's not separation as you pointed out, it's like asking why gay cruises exist. If there's a market for it, why not. Not like they are going to check your "gay card" at the door to see if you're allowed in.

Imagine the uproar if there was a hetero convention. And imagine the greater uproar if there was a "formerly gay" convention.

Old, boring, and short-sighted argument. It's easy making that argument when you're in a predominant or majority group about a minority group.

What world do you live in where there's a section of people who openly persecute heterosexuals? That's like saying Gay Bar's shouldn't exist because there aren't any heterosexual bars.

Nobody is being excluded. Your argument of "hey what if there was an exclusion the other way around" doesn't work because of it.

Until it says something along the lines of GAYS ONLY, nobody here has a legitimate reason to feel excluded or that others are segregating themselves. If you don't want to go to that convention because it will have predominately gay people, that's perfectly fine. However, if you do and you're a heterosexual, nobody is going to stop you.

Straw man arguments are fun, aren't they?

LOL. So true, they would call those people anti-homosexual and a "hate group".

Hell, they would call it an anti-homosexual hate convention . . . .

What world do you live in where there's a section of people who openly persecute heterosexuals? That's like saying Gay Bar's shouldn't exist because there aren't any heterosexual bars.

Nobody is being excluded. Your argument of "hey what if there was an exclusion the other way around" doesn't work because of it.

Until it says something along the lines of GAYS ONLY, nobody here has a legitimate reason to feel excluded or that others are segregating themselves. If you don't want to go to that convention because it will have predominately gay people, that's perfectly fine. However, if you do and you're a heterosexual, nobody is going to stop you.

Straw man arguments are fun, aren't they?

I think you made your own straw man argument there...he said nothing to the fact of "Hetero-only" or "Formerly-Gay only" conventions...:rolleyes:

The people behind this homosexual gaming convention are complete hypocrites.

Gay cruises and bars are about facilitating homosexual relationships and anonymous sex partners. Gaming isn't about sexual relationships.

Finally, they can go to their own convention instead of coming to ours! /sarcasm

Wonder how many people are gonna keep an eye on the pics from this looking for lesbos haha.

Hey guys, I'm starting a gaming club called the Kool Kids Kompany to celebrate white people and their innovation in gaming. Because a lot of white gamers have a lot of money of course and spend the money to keep the gaming industry going.

Look people, Discrimination is a two way fucking street. Have a convention based on your similarities about the god damn product, not what is between your legs, the colour of your skin, or who you like to bone. This shit is down right sickening and why the human race fails. It can't even get equality right.

Gaming is for EVERYONE, why do we need this again? Go to a gay pride parade or some other event based around your sexual preferences, don't pollute gaming with it to further your own agenda. (The following statement applies to all sub conventions based on other categories of discrimination not just gays)

Bring on the hate and supposed new age logic about how I am an arrogant high class heterosexual white male, and that makes my opinions less than those of lesser creeds... You'd be wrong by the way anyhow.

Conventions are supposed to celebrate a topic and be inclusive not exclusive. A place to show people not in the particular sect what is awesome and brings people together. By having these little, 'only for us' parties, you are being discriminatory and missing the entire point.

Anyone who's posted a disparaging comment in this thread - you're the reason this convention is needed. Douchebags.

Actually, there are plenty of those.

It's called conventions on things that have nothing to do with sexuality.

Actually, there are plenty of those.

It's called conventions on things that have nothing to do with sexuality.

You mean like gaming conventions right? They have *nothing* to do with sexuality. Good point.

The organisers are probably just trying to make money, by taking advantage of a potential niche market, like everybody else.

I don't see the problem. A lot of angry heterosexuals/closeted gays in here. The whole point of a convention is to appeal to a certain group of people with a certain group of interests. But guess what? You can show up to most of them, including this one, even if you aren't part of the core audience. It isn't segregation. It's specialization.

Anyone who's posted a disparaging comment in this thread - you're the reason this convention is needed. Douchebags.

Thanks for the compliment, you may have just called some members of the LGBT community douchebags... Real smart there. You don't have to be of any particular sexual orientation to spot blatant discrimination.

I really don't get these groups of people (feminists, LBGTY or whatever the acronyms are). I don't have a problem with them or who they want to be. Hell, I have a friend who happens to be gay and it doesn't really mean anything to me out of the norm. But here, we have these "groups" who scream their message and cry for equality but at the same time want special treatment. It's one way or the other.

Why can't they just be happy with a convention for -everyone-?

I'm sure I might get some flak for this but logically, it makes no sense to me.

I agree. There really shouldn't be a reason to make a group of people just because of your sexuality. It's just stupid on so many levels. If you wanted to be part of something like gaming then just game. Your sexuality shouldn't have to be part of the discussion what so ever.

Also, using the word gay in a word like GaymerCon is just asking for it. Sorry, but the gaming community does abuse the world `gay` a lot. That's like creating a group called ObesemerCon for fat people.

If enough people turn up, to satisfy the organisers, then it proves that there is a demand, and therefore it is valid, and then it will probably continue.

I agree. There really shouldn't be a reason to make a group of people just because of your sexuality. It's just stupid on so many levels. If you wanted to be part of something like gaming then just game. Your sexuality shouldn't have to be part of the discussion what so ever.

Also, using the word gay in a word like GaymerCon is just asking for it. Sorry, but the gaming community does abuse the world `gay` a lot. That's like creating a group called ObesemerCon for fat people.

You can turn up, if you like.

i have heard xbox live. i can appreciate the reason for this convention's existance, even though i recognize the reasoning against segregation.

I don't see the problem. A lot of angry heterosexuals/closeted gays in here.

That's another thing. What makes you think that people who find this stupid are closeted gays? That's like the counter argument for anything homosexual nowadays. It's like going out in public and finding two people kissing. Could be hetero's or gay's, but you know you don't wanna see it. It makes the whole situation awkward.

It's like me going out to get an oil change and the first thing the mechanic tells me is he's gay, cause that's important. Lets just get that out of the way, cause a 15 minute oil change really needs me to know your sexuality. There are matches in games that are quicker then that.

I'm glad you live in a happy dream world. Unfortunately the reality is that the gay community is pretty much treated like shit in the gaming community, and in society in general. They have a significant number of concerns and issues that do not apply to straight gamers. If that's enough to sustain to a convention, we'll see soon enough. Shared interests, concerns, issues, whatever, is all you need to really justify a convention.

The fact that so many people seem vehemently opposed to the existence of this convention is almost justification enough to have it.

I vote we have "Straightcon" - a special convention just for straight people - and watch the nuclear explosions and fireworks when the world explodes in righteous indignation due to "discrimination"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back